Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and basic analogue service problem

Options
  • 12-03-2012 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking to cancel my UPC TV digital and keep only internet + basic 17 analogue channels.
    yesterday i tried to unplug the std box and try to tune on my tv (sony bravia) the basic channels.

the tv is able to tune only 3 channels with the analogue autotune functionality.
    with the autotune digital cable function it find hundreds of channels, but of course most of these are encrypted.

I live in Kimmage,
    do you know if it can be a signal problem or UPC has turned off the analogue signal?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fun tree is cooked

Hi , Same thing happened a few weeks ago , no analogue service since an engineer came out to replace a broken DVR box ....It's like they've turned the signal off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

How old is your TV?

In the past an analogue scan would bring up nothing up the 17 channels. You wouldn't be picking up the digital channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

BrianD wrote: »
    How old is your TV?

In the past an analogue scan would bring up nothing up the 17 channels. You wouldn't be picking up the digital channels.

it is 2-3 years old.
    the TV had two tuners, an analogue and a digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

cargen wrote: »
    Hi,

I am thinking to cancel my UPC TV digital and keep only internet + basic 17 analogue channels.
    yesterday i tried to unplug the std box and try to tune on my tv (sony bravia) the basic channels.

the tv is able to tune only 3 channels with the analogue autotune functionality.
    with the autotune digital cable function it find hundreds of channels, but of course most of these are encrypted.

I live in Kimmage,
    do you know if it can be a signal problem or UPC has turned off the analogue signal?

Thanks

Which 3 analogue channels are you receiving?
    Are they an acceptable picture quality?

I think those TV's offer a choice of "terrestrial" or "cable" when you do an autotune. Can you confirm you picked "cable"?
    Can you confirm that all/most encrypted channels, are the same as what you had on box? There will probably be more depending on what package you were on.

The only thing I can think of is that your TV has an analogue tuner problem, or is UHF only and you're picking up some channels off-air.

Can you manually go into the analogue tuner settings, and the 3 channels that are tuned, will display something beside then like "C21" or "S19".
    What are these exact figures and which one relates to which channel?

Or maybe your line has a filter on it, which only passes certain frequencies. Cant see why though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

If it's a UK sourced TV, there's the reason you can't pick up the analog signal.

What is the model of the TV, to confirm.

• Advertisement

If it's a UK sourced TV, there's the reason you can't pick up the analog signal.

What is the model of the TV, to confirm.
    I think it is.
    I bought it on internet.

do you know the reason and if I can fix it?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I think it is.
    I bought it on internet.

do you know the reason and if I can fix it?

If you can post the make and model of TV someone may be able to give you a specific answer.

Some TVs disable the VHF tuner if the install country/region is set to the UK for example, Sony's work this way. Others such as Panasonic don't include VHF tuner at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It sounds like you are scanning the "airwaves" and picking up analogue and digital signals. It it's a UK set it won't be able to decode the Saorview signals. Though I always thought you could vision without sound or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

It sounds like you are scanning the "airwaves" and picking up analogue and digital signals. It it's a UK set it won't be able to decode the Saorview signals.

That's not necessarily true. Alot of UK sets would have been MPEG2, but more or less all should be standard MPEG4 at this stage.

Also, poster says he's receiving digital encrypted channels so these are obviously UPC's digital line up. So it looks like they have a proper connection to UPC, therefor they shouldn't be able to receive anything via the "airwaves".

Most likely a UHF only analogue tuner.
    The 3 channels they claim to be receiving are probably the last 3 channels in the VHF band but I would have thought it unlikely that they positioned analogue channels this high up their spectrum. This could be confirmed if the OP answers the questions I posted above.

mickko wrote: »
    It sounds like you are scanning the "airwaves" and picking up analogue and digital signals. It it's a UK set it won't be able to decode the Saorview signals.

That's not necessarily true. Alot of UK sets would have been MPEG2, but more or less all should be standard MPEG4 at this stage.

Also, poster says he's receiving digital encrypted channels so these are obviously UPC's digital line up. So it looks like they have a proper connection to UPC, therefor they shouldn't be able to receive anything via the "airwaves".

The 3 channels they claim to be receiving are probably the last 3 channels in the VHF band but I would have thought it unlikely that they positioned analogue channels this high up their spectrum. This could be confirmed if the OP answers the questions I posted above.

guys,

thanks for all your advice.
    I have sorted it.
    the analogue tuner was on UK setting.
    I did a factory reset and picked Ireland as country.

now I can see the 17 channels from upc.
    thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I'm trying to do the same thing with my new LG tv but it's Asking me to enter frequency and network ID and I don't know what they are

Any ideas?

Cheers
    mickko wrote: »

guys,

thanks for all your advice.
    I have sorted it.
    the analogue tuner was on UK setting.
    I did a factory reset and picked Ireland as country.

now I can see the 17 channels from upc.
    thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I'm trying to do the same thing with my new LG tv but it's Asking me to enter frequency and network ID and I don't know what they are

Any ideas?

Cheers

Forget about DVB-C tuner as the channels are encrypted.

You will only receive the analogue services off VHF.

Now if the LG has a VHF tuner is the next issue. Return the TV to factory default settings. This time pick Ireland as the country during initial setup options instead of UK.

Now tune on VHF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lkoadil

STB wrote: »
    Forget about DVB-C tuner as the channels are encrypted.

You will only receive the analogue services off VHF.

Now if the LG has a VHF tuner is the next issue. Return the TV to factory default settings. This time pick Ireland as the country during initial setup options instead of UK.

Now tune on VHF.

I also have lg tv but asking for frequency and network id ..does not finds any channel factory reset to ireland done..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

lkoadil wrote: »
    I also have lg tv but asking for frequency and network id ..does not finds any channel factory reset to ireland done..

This thread is four years old, you're supposed to create a new thread.

Your TV may not have an analog tuner. If it's not asking you to select between digital and analog (sometimes it will offer both), you won't be able to tune the basic TV service. If the option is there, select analog.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

coylemj wrote: »
    This thread is four years old, you're supposed to create a new thread.

Indeed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement