Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3: The Ending(s) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I think the only thing that people will agree on is that DLC will continue the story past the ending, and while people will complain, I don't remember there being a big furore when Fallout 3 did it. Either way, as a trilogy as a whole, I can't say I was disappointed. The ending wasn't fantastic, but it did end the overall arc of the story, I'm just saddened by the lack of closure given to other aspects of the game - secondary squadmates, what happened to the planet that you spent the whole game trying to save after the Reapers went away etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just finished it and while I saw people mentioning Asimov's Foundation series another sci fi jumped into my head when the kid at the end showed up.

The anime Gurren Langenn which has pretty much the same reveal
    All life that evolves will naturally destroy not only itself but the universe so one race creates a system to contain all evolving (spiral) races and in the end that whole race appears as a small somewhat diminutive being to the protagonist and explains all this to them. But Langann did two things ME3 doesnt do. It very much laid the ground work for this plotline quite clearly halfway through the series and it has also the best protagonist response to such a scenario (WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE? *PUNCH*)

I'm gathering my thoughts on ME3 and its ending. I think the mistake was ME2. Rating the three games in the end I still think Mass Effect 2 is the better game and ME3 is second. And what makes ME2 better is what makes ME3 weaker. Characters characters characters. So much of ME2 was dedicated to character arcs and it is something that firstly has never really been done to such a level in a video game and secondly it changed what mass effect was about.

Mass effect 3 feels like a sequel to 1 and not a sequel to 2.

I'll add more thoughts as I think about this more.

But on it being an awful ending. I went with the synthasis ending and it sort of makes sense, how people get where they are doesnt (normandy in FTL), but destroying the gates would be less relevent not that everybody has been *super evolved* they are now better then the race that built the gates so people will get reconnected in no time. Though I do remember one of the logs in this game saying any gate destroyed would wipe out every planet in its solar system. But I guess the explosion from all the gates was changed into fairy dust turning them into kryptonite rather then burning them in the fires of thermonuclear explosion.

Btw isnt the Citadel meant to be f*cking huge? on the galaxy map it dwarves every other planet and is around the size of our sun, yet it sits over earth no bother???

But the ending wasnt perfect, the choices are so abstract from events and really you've answered it already by the two main events in the game prior (the genophage issue/Geth issue are pretty much the same choices though at least the genophage one didnt pull some magical third option out of its ass) so really if you've made the quarrens and geth kiss up and cured the genophage then you know there is really only one option. The child reaper thing was a waste of space and just raises more questions and it choosing the form of the child was very uhmm *contactish* personnally I'd prefer if it was the kid but it was harbinger inside so it could be a bit more p*ssed at shepherd or at least have some emotion about the events. The kid was just lifeless exposition. You are the alien god who has just met the first organic life to break your cycle how do you feel about this?

Speaking of Harbinger, did his role in ME2 and in Arrival just ruin this? He had become the defacto Reaper leader had personnally had verbal pissing matches with Shepherd and revealed in this b*tched about him to the other reapers in this one. so the idea of the reapers just being some machines in the *cycle* just seems downright odd. At least Sovereign was given a reason for being a dick. Also the whole plot to 2 again, the Prometheans were the collectors, that was the big reveal but here we are told every race is gathered up and turned into a reaper so there should be a reaper created from all the prometheans (harbinger? Sovereign?) I guess it's harbinger cause he could control all the collectors which I assume are just the husk equivalent for prometheans.

man I'm rambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Gurrenn Lagann is awesome. I guess they took inspiration from many different series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The endimg rapped up shepard story so we cant see the aftermath as shepard is no longer there. People main problem with the ending is that they are coming down for the high. The Shepard they put in time to develop, make friends and find love. Unlike a book or movie you shaped the story. The rush is over, its done. We know that there will be no more shepard. Did any one notic that the different ending had a different colour around them. The control was blue and destory is red. We all know who supported what are they were the last two people you talk to. I might be looking into it too much but the location of the choice match up with the talk wheel to end a conversation

ferike1 wrote: »
    Gurrenn Lagann is awesome. I guess they took inspiration from many different series.

admit it you want the gurrenn lagann option in the ME3 ending too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Read this on the bioware forums, makes sense to me and clears things up a lot. Hopefully this is true but we won't really know until DLC is announced and what direction they try to take. Again it could all be conspiratorial bullsh*t :pac:
    I dont understand how people dont see that the whole sequence after shepard gets blasted by harbinger is played out in his head. It is all extremely obvious and the game has been working up to it. The way indoctrination is explained over the game (making people think they are willingly helping the reapers, convinced that the reapers serve a greater cause, and uplifting the reapers as some godlike being in the subjects mind).Also the dream sequences, there are multiple dream sequences in the game so as to make it entirely possible that the ending sequence could be some hallucination too.

Now for the events itself, they are extremly clear. Harbinger, the one reaper who has been trying to indoctrinate shepard for so long, blasts shepard. He wakes up, hears whispers (Like every person that was being indoctrinated) and finds a pistol with unlimited ammo (the kind of inaccure detail one would find in a dream). He steps into the beam and gets teleported to the Citadel, the citadel which is horribly inaccurate (not recognisable, keepers cant be shot, dead human bodies litter the place in dramatic fashion which makes no sense except if imagined by shepards dispairing brain). Then theres Anderson, shepards father figure, who has no possiblity to be there (no survivors from the beam, cant have gotten passed shepard somehow). However it would make sense that he was there if it was a concotion of shepards brain, ofcourse shepard would imagine anderson there. They dont recognise the citadel, another thing commonly assosiated with dreams (if your in a dream everything makes sense, untill you start examining your surroundings and realise it totally unlogical and unrecognisable, you usually wake up not soon after). He gets to the console with anderson there, obviously imagined since anderson couldnt have gotten past shepard and according to the conversation he was only a couple seconds ahead yet you dont see him. Another figure of shepards imagination pops up out of nowhere, the illusive man. More dispair enters shepards brain as he imagines the illusive mans power, forcing him to shoot anderson. Through sheer will of force he overcomes his thoughts of the illusive man, either through breaking lose and shooting him, or by making him shoot himself.

Then comes the reaper who talks directly to shepard. You know, that reaper that presents itself as the ghost of the kid haunting shepards dream and as a godlike figure. If you read the indoctrination codex you will see indoctrinated people see reapers as godlike figures. You also clearly (or not so very clearly) hear harbingers voice in the background while the kid speaks and he refers to himself as 'we' everytime he talks about the reapers (ie. he's being pretty blatant about being a reaper). The reaper then comes up with an explenation which would make it (vaguely) seem as if the reapers serve a greater purpose (again, read the codex entry on indoctrination).
    Shortly after shepard is presented with 3 choices. There is only one choice that is considered 'good' for it gives the possibility for shepard to survive and, interestingly, this is also the choice portrayed as being the worst choice according to the reaper. "you can control the reapers, just touch the lightning thing, you will die (ie. succumb to us) but everything will be alright. Or you can jump in the beam, you will die, but everything will be alright. Or you can shoot that thing, you will destroy the reapers, but it will destroy all synthetics, even you are part synthetic and you will kill the geth and your friend edi". Everything points out that the reapers Doesnt want you to make that choice, he wants shepard to willingly choose one of the other 2 options (thus completing the indoctrination of shepard).

Shepard keeps his mind cool and picks destroy the reapers, defying what the reapers wants him to do. He then imagines all that he expects to happen, and includes his hopes and wishes. His friends who were with him at the beam somehow got to safety. He imagines them stepping out of the normandy unharmed on a distant world, giving him some peace of mind. He wakes up back in the rubble on earth, Harbinger has failed.
    Now we wait for Bioware to release the end (obviously this hallucination wasnt the end) for which I am gratefull. They made sure nobody gets spoiled cos of differing release dates around the globe and the datamining of the possible endings (the end isnt in the game yet so that it cant be datamined, its brilliant really).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Holy fudge that would be one of the best ending ever

It also makes sense when you look at the other endings cause earlier in the game shepherd records a time capsule for Liara and they do a big deal of shepherds acts of bravery so the two people at the end telling stories of the *shepherd* could be the same way the current cycle looked at the Promethean and are telling stories from it.

I wonder if you asked Liara to tell it straight would it change that scene?

God this game finds excuses to make you replay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Its pritty damning that bioware failed so spectacularly that the fans have to cling to the hope it was all just a nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

That's a vid you get with one of the 3 endings if you EMS is high enough. This could be shepard stirring on hill where the reaper attacked after the events of the supposed ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Btw isnt the Citadel meant to be f*cking huge? on the galaxy map it dwarves every other planet and is around the size of our sun, yet it sits over earth no bother???

It's not that huge. I remember reading the entry for it and thinking, huh I thought it was bigger.

Ah, I went with the synthesis ending. I'm not sure why. I kind of wanted to go with destroying all synthetic life but I have a soft spot for EDI and the Geth. I thought the synthetic option was the most interesting too, I didn't know what to expect.
    If it was a case of being a dream sequence... I'm not sure. I'm wondering would it make sense that the ending was a hallucination, where by he did in fact go to the Citadel but under the influence of Harbinger. He thought he had a gun but didn't, imagined people around him, essentially was manipulated into doing a certain task or killing himself, by say jumping into a giant beam... that idea doesn't sit too well with me since I took the middle road.
    The idea that the whole sequence was a dream rather than an actual situation renders the entire finale void in every term, so I don't give that much creadence. We know the Illusive man had some kind of procedure done on himself with Reaper tech so that fits in. Reminded me of Event Horizon a little bit. The refugee bit reminded me a little of BSG but I never thought the game was borrowing. Very well done. Was Shepard tripping balls though? Maybe...
    It could all have happened save for the finale with the child.

But I think not. From a narrative point of view if Shepard was having imaginings of his friends being alive then they would occur before he himself died. I was destroyed/assimilated by the beam. Then it shows the Normandy. Post mortem dreams of a better future?

I'm just after finishing the game and it's pushing 2 in the morning. My head isn't completely around the finale and the implications yet. The whole dream idea seems like it could be valid... I don't know.

As far as DLC continuing from the ending, I don't think so! After the game is cleared you get a message to continue your adventure. You're then set back aboard the Normandy before the final assault. That implies the adventure is going to be continued with expansions similar to those we got with ME2.

All and all I'm going to take the ending as it came while staying skeptical. I haven't started thinking about it properly yet. I'm probably doing some blabbering.

Oh and I will say I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of focus on character. As someone else already said, the second game was brilliant for focusing on character and this one seems much less like it and more like the first. The team you have reflects that pretty well. ME2 is an all time favorite for me. It was good seeing the old characters and it was all balanced very well but the second game does win out. After so much investment in character and plot to throw it all into the air like that...

I got a kind of The Fountain vibe as Shepard jumped into the Beam, if anyone has seen that film... I'm talking rubbish now! Ah the wee hours..

I just previewed my post and started picking apart everything I just typed. Ah, I'll sleep on it.

If it was a case of being a dream sequence... I'm not sure. I'm wondering would it make sense that the ending was a hallucination, where by he did in fact go to the Citadel but under the influence of Harbinger. He thought he had a gun but didn't, imagined people around him, essentially was manipulated into doing a certain task or killing himself, by say jumping into a giant beam... that idea doesn't sit too well with me since I took the middle road.
    The idea that the whole sequence was a dream rather than an actual situation renders the entire finale void in every term, so I don't give that much creadence. We know the Illusive man had some kind of procedure done on himself with Reaper tech so that fits in. Reminded me of Event Horizon a little bit. The refugee bit reminded me a little of BSG but I never thought the game was borrowing. Very well done. Was Shepard tripping balls though? Maybe...
    It could all have happened save for the finale with the child.

Reading that thread it becomes quite convincing if you read it that harbinger has been trying to indoctrinate shepherd from the very beginning of the game and that the dreams are him slowly taking over, hence why they get more distorted as they go on and in the third one its both shepherd and the kid that burn. It changes how you look at the game and the deaths cause its all shepherd being worn down (which is stated a few times) by the death of friends and loss of life. It helps that when you do badly in the game there is no choice, everything just dies, indicating you were fully broken down. Also its always the people you took with you on your last mission that come out of the ship after joker and edi. It's also a good point to work from if it is biowares intention to release DLC and not a depressing final ending. No DLC then yeah its a crap way the end it.

You could say everything that happens from harbinger's arrival onwards happens over the space of seconds and the DLC could take into account what you chose and it directly affects how it starts (if you picked destroyed you fought indoctrination and the game puts you right back in front of the beam ready to continue with your team, if you picked control or synthesis you end up having to break the hold on you somehow before you rejoin your team.)

And the game will then could go to the real final battle on the citidal with an illusive man more directly under harbinger's control.

That makes the most sense and with a bit of thought it seems perfectly possible. I'm not going to underestimate Bioware, they know how to tell a story. Pulling something like that off as the supposed conclusion to an epic sci-fi trilogy would be really brilliant. We know more content is coming, and if the plan was to extend the ending then it won't be too long before we see something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Reading that thread it becomes quite convincing if you read it that harbinger has been trying to indoctrinate shepherd from the very beginning of the game and that the dreams are him slowly taking over, hence why they get more distorted as they go on and in the third one its both shepherd and the kid that burn. It changes how you look at the game and the deaths cause its all shepherd being worn down (which is stated a few times) by the death of friends and loss of life. It helps that when you do badly in the game there is no choice, everything just dies, indicating you were fully broken down. Also its always the people you took with you on your last mission that come out of the ship after joker and edi. It's also a good point to work from if it is biowares intention to release DLC and not a depressing final ending. No DLC then yeah its a crap way the end it.

You could say everything that happens from harbinger's arrival onwards happens over the space of seconds and the DLC could take into account what you chose and it directly affects how it starts (if you picked destroyed you fought indoctrination and the game puts you right back in front of the beam ready to continue with your team, if you picked control or synthesis you end up having to break the hold on you somehow before you rejoin your team.)

And the game will then could go to the real final battle on the citidal with an illusive man more directly under harbinger's control.

I agree it does feel like the last section of the game due to how crap the storyline/plot gets, lends itself to the theory of Shepard going through the indoctrination process and the final scene of Shepard taking a breath is really the character being back in the games "real world" so to speak.

But, and its a pretty big but, charging customers for DLC so they get the end of a game they have already bought is a pretty scumbag thing to pull on a very loyal customerbase. The amount of bad PR the ending alone is generating not to mention the day one DLC has to be one of the biggest PR blunders in history. I just can't see any logic in why EA (lets be honest there is no "Bioware" anymore) would pull something like this as the added revenue on this one game will in no way make up for future revenue losses from pissed off customers who will never send a cent in EA's direction ever again.

But, and its a pretty big but, charging customers for DLC so they get the end of a game they have already bought is a pretty scumbag thing to pull on a very loyal customerbase. The amount of bad PR the ending alone is generating not to mention the day one DLC has to be one of the biggest PR blunders in history.

Yet both bethesda (fallout 3) and Valve (Episode 1) did the exact same thing.

Hell Valve retconned the ending of half life 2 so they could do episode 1 & 2 and they still havnt finished it. And more importantly it was not the intended ending for half life 2 originally. It was a desicion by Valve to retcon its ending to keep with the setting and characters they currently had over jumping Freeman again.

Fallout 3 had the same issue as ME3 with a number of choices in the end and then a DLC (not an add on pack like episode 1 but just a DLC) created a storyline based off those choices and was able to pick up no problem and Brotherhood of steel is considered one of the better DLC for Fallout 3.

How is this any different from "The Arrival?" considered to be best DLC for Mass effect 2 which extended the plot of 2 beyond its original ending to include the set up for 3?

Yes there has been a huge PR backlash at Bioware, some they deserve, some they dont.
    but announcing DLC that extends the story (not just gives us an ending) is not the worse thing they could do.

On the issue of DLC I find they fall into two camps, DLC with actual effort involved (new content, new plot points, new missions.) sense of value and then there is horse armor. Which is the worse kind of DLC.

Bethasda has shown that bigger more detailed dlc packs that do extend the story works and can be good and they've shown us irrelevent crappy item dlc also sell but is never good.

I rather Bioware do tinker with the big things in their DLC and not just offer us new multiplayer characters/maps.

Yet both bethesda (fallout 3) and Valve (Episode 1) did the exact same thing.

Hell Valve retconned the ending of half life 2 so they could do episode 1 & 2 and they still havnt finished it. And more importantly it was not the intended ending for half life 2 originally. It was a desicion by Valve to retcon its ending to keep with the setting and characters they currently had over jumping Freeman again.

Fallout 3 had the same issue as ME3 with a number of choices in the end and then a DLC (not an add on pack like episode 1 but just a DLC) created a storyline based off those choices and was able to pick up no problem and Brotherhood of steel is considered one of the better DLC for Fallout 3.

How is this any different from "The Arrival?" considered to be best DLC for Mass effect 2 which extended the plot of 2 beyond its original ending to include the set up for 3?

Yes there has been a huge PR backlash at Bioware, some they deserve, some they dont.
    but announcing DLC that extends the story (not just gives us an ending) is not the worse thing they could do.

On the issue of DLC I find they fall into two camps, DLC with actual effort involved (new content, new plot points, new missions.) sense of value and then there is horse armor. Which is the worse kind of DLC.

Bethasda has shown that bigger more detailed dlc packs that do extend the story works and can be good and they've shown us irrelevent crappy item dlc also sell but is never good.

I rather Bioware do tinker with the big things in their DLC and not just offer us new multiplayer characters/maps.

Well Fallout 3 had a proper ending in that you saved the wasteland and got to find how what happened to the other characters you encountered in your journey through the game. The mistake Bethesda fixed with the after game DLC was players not being able to continue the sandbox style gameplay once the games final mission was completed. And while horse Armor DLC sucked it was the first real type of DLC and Bethesda have never done something like it again and have made some of the best real DLC of any developer out there.

I agree to a point with Halflife 2 but the games ending does fit with how the cannon of the series worked nor does it **** on cannon from ME1 & 2 the way ME3 does.

ME3 however would be a game where you don't really get to the end of the story without buying extra DLC which is just wrong on every level. It's also a game the developers claimed has been finished for months so they had time to work on the day one DLC and seeing as its release is not a big holiday event I don't see how "a ran out of time excuse" can be used to explain the piss poor ending of ME3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

admit it you want the gurrenn lagann option in the ME3 ending too.

Nah Gurrenn Lagann was awesome by itself. Kamina was so badass.

My biggest issue with the ME3 ending was that all ending choices were pretty much the same and that all my choices up there were pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Well I just finished ME3 about 3 hours ago, and I have to say
    that that was THE most depressing ending I've ever seen in my entire life. I am literally still thinking about it. Honestly I feel like my dog has just died, I kid you not. I would not recommend anybody with a depressive disorder to play that ending because it was just....crushing and devastating. Don't get me wrong, the entire game (and franchise) has been amazing up to this point. I really loved saving the Krogan, giving them hope, etc. as with the Geth. But that ending has just winded me. The more I think about it, the more confused I become. There was very little closure or logic to the ending itself, and it was a kick in the nuts when they went "Hey, Shepards a legend, buy DLC!" I believe that Shepard had to die, but the execution of the ending was so poor that belief is lost on me. I am praying that Bioware (Like Bethesda did for Fallout 3 with Broken Steel) release a DLC actually making a decent, palatable ending or else just do a Dallas and say it was all a dream after Shep got hit by the Reaper. I am sincerely disappointed. Also, Shepard is Jesus- "The lord is my shepherd"

(Sorry about it being tagged as spoilers but I had to copy and paste from the main ME3 thread)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Jesus, i don't even know where to start with that. I've been sitting staring at Sheppard standing over the Galaxy Map for a few minutes now, trying to figure out what the **** just happened. I mean i get what happened from a story pov, but i'm trying to figure out what the hell Bioware were thinking when they wrote that.

I'll say to start that i really loved the game. Was great fun, and had a lot of what i had hoped to see in the 30 or so hours it took me to complete. Some nice dramatic conclusions to stories that had been built over 3 games, some excellent character conclusions (Mordin and Legion specifically) and improved on the already solid game mechanics. All in all, really enjoyable.

But I really don't think i've ever felt so pissed off at an ending before. I went for the Synth option, even though it sounded pretty ****. Die, destroy the relays, and ascend all life or some bull****. Sounded better then destroy the relays and kill all synthetics (including EDI and the Geth who i worked my ass off to save earlier in the game) or destroy the relays and take control option.

So Shep is dead, the Reapers bugger off, the hundreds of thousands of aliens that were at earth are stranded there, all life is transformed into a joint organic/synth lifeform, Liara somehow walks off the Normandy with Joker/EDI (even though she was with me on Earth) and they all stare up at the beautiful sunset of some random world that means nothing to anyone. I mean why was The Normandy even in FTL? :confused:

Then we get a scene with some old guy and a kid talking about the stars, and the legend of 'The Sheppard'. And to top it all off we get plonked right back on the Normandy, before the last mission, with a note from Bioware saying and i quote...
    Bioware wrote:
    Commander Shepard has become a legend by ending the Reaper threat. Now you can continue to build that legend through further gameplay and downloadable content

Awful, awful way to finish what was one of my favourite series ever. It actually feels like the ending has taken away a lot of the enjoyment i had while playing the game itself.

And i don't really think the Indoctrinated idea works either. It sounds decent from a story point of view, but if it's all just a dream and Sheppard will wake up just before the beam in a soon to be released DLC that actually concludes the Mass Effect trilogy, then i'm done with Bioware. Seriously, i'll not buy anything from them, ever again.

• Advertisement

Awful, awful way to finish what was one of my favourite series ever. It actually feels like the ending has taken away a lot of the enjoyment i had while playing the game itself.

Id go so far as to say its took the series place as my top rpg and relegated it to a fairly negative view in my mind

Copied from youtube, regarding the scene after the credits with the kid and old guy. Made me laugh.
    Boy: "When can I go to the stars?"
    Stargazer: "Did you buy DLC?"
    Boy: "No"
    Stargazer: "Then **** off"

bizmark wrote: »
    Id go so far as to say its took the series place as my top rpg and relegated it to a fairly negative view in my mind

Yeah, i can totally understand that. Also makes me doubt i'll ever replay it. When i cleared ME2, i was looking forward to trying a 2nd playthrough, but not at all with this.

Also the idea about the ending being a "dream" and the hope possibly a recon happening in dlc is you cant put it past bioware/ea having done that on purpose someone made the comparison with fallout 3 in that regards but fallout 3 was clearly just ment to end how and when it did you end the story of the wonderer and the game is over maybe a bit silly in a open world rpg but that was the story you scaraficed for the people (if i recall right) i dont think anyone though "well bet the real ending comes out in dlc!" that in its self shows how far bioware has fallen imho

They arent worth supporting anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Nobody is complaining because Shepard dies...its just because the ending is so ham-fistedly done without any of the much-flaunted free will the series is famous for. I brought Garrus with me to the Citadel beam and yet he is on the Normandy? I want to know what happened to everybody. Also the mass effect relays apparently explode with the force of a supernova (as stated in Arrival) so all the galaxy has been blown up. And even if it survives all the Turians and Krogan and Asari on Earth who cannot eat human food will all die of starvation cause they can't get back to their home worlds. Thanks Bioware for taking a fat crap on your fanbase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Tbh I don't know why some people would be surprised that EA may have it set up so that you'll have to buy DLC for a decent ending + character conclusions.

All the big games developers/studios are going to start going this way. It all started with Activision and the DLC aspect to MW2, B Op's and MW3.

They tested it out and to their delight, most people went with it without uttering a word of protest, the sales will attest to that. So it makes sense that others will follow suit.

Considering all the time and emotional investment people have put into the ME series, EA can be sure the majority will end up buying the DLC to get that "proper ending" After MW2, I gave up on COD cause its only turned into a money making racket.

I don't know what I'll do if EA do release a different ending as DLC. After all the time spent on the series I'd be tempted to get it :o But if its just some ****ty N7 missions and multiplayer maps, then they can forget it.

But when Mike Gamble tweeted this:
    "Hardest. Day. Ever. Seriously, if you people knew all the stuff we are planning…you’d, we’ll – hold onto your copy of [Mass Effect 3] forever."

I'd put money on the future DLC being something serious, for a price of course.

In fairness to Bioware, I'm not sure if they have much choice in the decision making. I mean if EA tell them they want it set up like this, they can harldy refuse. I'm not saying its right, but what can they do if their bound to a contract?

Herrick wrote: »
    Tbh I don't know why some people would be surprised that EA may have it set up so that you'll have to buy DLC for a decent ending + character conclusions.

All the big games developers/studios are going to start going this way. It all started with Activision and the DLC aspect to MW2, B Op's and MW3.

They tested it out and to their delight, most people went with it without uttering a word of protest, the sales will attest to that. So it makes sense that others will follow suit.

Considering all the time and emotional investment people have put into the ME series, EA can be sure the majority will end up buying the DLC to get that "proper ending" After MW2, I gave up on COD cause its only turned into a money making racket.

I don't know what I'll do if EA do release a different ending as DLC. After all the time spent on the series I'd be tempted to get it :o But if its just some ****ty N7 missions and multiplayer maps, then they can forget it.

But when Mike Gamble tweeted this:

I'd put money on the future DLC being something serious, for a price of course.

In fairness to Bioware, I'm not sure if they have much choice in the decision making. I mean if EA tell them they want it set up like this, they can harldy refuse. I'm not saying its right, but what can they do if their bound to a contract?

Well there has been leaks that the first DLC is different races and classes for MP with pictures of Geth and Baterian being found. All those tweets from EA are just trying to hold out against the massive backlash the majority of players have regarding the games ending. Bioware at this point no longer exist mate its just EA now.

Still a lot of negativity to the ending around but I'm starting to think it might be brilliant. The fact that so many people are believing the ending, if it was indoctrination then the game has pulled off a master stroke by fooling the player into actually being indoctrinated, while allowing the choice not to be, ie. choosing to destroy them.
    There's a whole lot of things to indicate this is the case. In fact the more I've read into it and thought about it the more I believe it. It's pretty brilliant. And that people are raging because of the uncertainty and the doubt the ending suggests and because of the feelings it engendered... it's pretty much exactly how someone being indoctrinated would feel.
    It's pretty telling that the only option that shows Shepard as surviving is when you choose to destroy the Reapers. That is you resist indoctrination. You don't look to be on the citadel so I would take it the indoctrination hallucination takes place when you're hit by the beam.

It's a bastard as far as finishing a story goes... but then again it's a hell of a thing to do and to accomplish. I can't help but think if it's the case then it's been done in amazing fashion. And all the hints and warnings are there to be found throughout all 3 games re. indoctrination and how it works/its effects. Then how people are saying you look worn down and aren't sleeping. The dream sequences, the reapers appearing God like.. damn I don't think the story is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Venom wrote: »
    Well there has been leaks that the first DLC is different races and classes for MP with pictures of Geth and Baterian being found. All those tweets from EA are just trying to hold out against the massive backlash the majority of players have regarding the games ending. Bioware at this point no longer exist mate its just EA now.

Well if thats the guess I'm not going to even bother picking up ME3 :(

• Advertisement

Herrick wrote: »
    Well if thats the guess I'm not going to even bother picking up ME3 :(

You haven't bought the game yet and you're reading a thread about the ending. Why would you buy it having done that.

Advertisement