Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

In terms of O'Dowd's future, if it goes before a vote on whether he stays or goes, I find it hard to see him being voted out because of the uncertainty over a replacement. A bit like the way O'Brien was voted out, there was very little consideration given to his successor and I think the delegates will have learned from that.

On the other hand, were one or two alternatives put before the delegates and a vote on who should be manager in 2016 (similar to Boylan vs Barry in the last decade), then O'Dowd is more than likely doomed provided the opposition is in some way credible.

The Meath steering group should be given responsibility for taking the lead on this. I know their mandate was underage structures, etc but a group consisting of Boylan, O'Rourke & McEntee, well there's not many in the county going to go against their advice.

They could also be tasked with the sorting out the minor and u21 grades for 2016 and all of this should be prioritised. There is no advantage in letting time pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

If it comes to a new manager I really think we should go outside again. I know the Banty experience wasn't great but it might be no harm to have someone with a fresh eye to look it over.

Another thing I'd like to see is the introduction of regional teams for the non senior clubs, tweak the club championship so it reflects the All Ireland championship or even that the groups are smaller and the games mean more. Both moves would benefit the county as you would have the lads not from senior clubs exposed to senior championship and if there is more meaning to each game it gets the whole competitive edge back into Meath football too. At the minutes you could lose a couple of games and be still sure of getting into the quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Very disappointing. I wasnt there so cant comment too much save to say that by the sounds of it we were at the end of another bad referreeing decision that probably swung the game. Like the Westmeath game we probably still should have won but lets not forget that there has been some bad decisions against us this year.

I am a bit downbeat thinking about where the GAA is going in Meath. Our senior hurlers and fotballers are not playing competitive games again until next January. That's 6 months. Our senior footballers lasted less than a month in the championship. We used to wonder how the weaker counties kept an interest in GAA when the season was so short for them and now we know how they feel.

One thing that should be done is for the Co Board to try and run the club championships efficiently over the next few months and try and drum up some interest in them. County finals need not drift into October. Perhaps sell weekend championship tickets to cover a few games, try and get the passion, interest etc rekindled in he county.

Regarding management for next year I agree that the decision needs to be made quickly. A lot of poor decisions made this year but maybe there is not all that much benefit in changing unless there is a proven manager ready to come in (no matter from from what county). Maybe MOD with a freshened up backroom team. However, i dont know if MOD does freshening up of teams / squads. There were players kept on the squad this year that he seemed to have no interest in playing. He persevered with Joey and while Joey sounded to have got involved yesterday here are players out there stronger and more experienced than him. ANother gripe i have is that MOD never plays the named team.

The idea of the regional teams is a good one in a year like this. Perhaps it could be tried on an experimental basis over the next couple of years to increase interest in the senior championship and to compensate in a way for possible early championship exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I cant see O'Dowd staying to be honest. I think he's being harshly treated though. Banty did no better, and got nicer draws in the qualifiers. I've said for years that we made a huge mistake getting rid of Eamon O'Brien, nobody ever really justified that to me. As for a replacement, no names really stand out.

There's a bit of a misguided impression out there that our greats will make similarly great managers. Colm O'Rourke seems to have his name thrown out a lot, but wasnt he U21 manager for 2/3 years and never even won a match?
    Liam Harnan was manager for another 2 years and won 1 match against Dublin. That was dampened a bit by the losses to Longford and Offally afterwards. McEntee was some success at minor level, but how well our minor teams do these days depends on whether we are Dublin's side of the draw or not.

If our County Board were being proactive (and in fairness these guys are better than previous boards) then they would have at least discussed what they wanted to do after the Westmeath game, we were unlikely to go to far in the qualifiers anyway.

So, there really is no excuse for some significant movement on this over the next few weeks. I dont know who the best option is but we should be aiming at having a new management in place by end of August (unless the preferred candidate is waiting to finish out a term somewhere).

That would allow for the new management to take in the closing stages of the club championships.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Think the Land Commission settlers line is a myth, like attributing the more olive complexion of some westerners to shipwrecked spaniards. My family on my mothers side either came here with the land commission, or were children of land commission settlers, and I've never heard anything supporting the theory they brought football to us.

A lot of the farmers who settled in Meath during that era came from Connaught and in the west of Ireland football is a religion, so I wouldn't completely dismiss the influence of rural migration on Meath football. The O'Rourkes for example were from Leitrim so there's some tangible evidence right there.

Also, I had read from one amatuer historian on a Meath GAA club's website that much of the early division between hurling and football in the county was cemented by political allegiances - were you pro or anti-parnell? Can't say how true that is but I do know that many clubs in the south of Meath have always leaned towards hurling. Ratoath for example would have traditionally been a hurling club.

Regardless it is worth noting that most of the hurling clubs in this part of Leinster are concentrated in the one area - north Kildare, south and soutwest Meath and the eastern parts of Westmeath. Why that is, I cannot say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭paul71

HighKing33 wrote: »
    Regardless it is worth noting that most of the hurling clubs in this part of Leinster are concentrated in the one area - north Kildare, south and soutwest Meath and the eastern parts of Westmeath. Why that is, I cannot say.

Sometimes I suspect cricket had no small impact on this. Mullingar, Athboy and Maynooth all had triving cricket clubs in late 19th century. SOMETHING did chance the focus in the area you mention from an area that was possibly predominately hurling with football as secondary to predominately football but with a participation level in Hurling that does not exist in East Meath, South Kildare or Louth.

One thing re land commission that is certain is that An Gaeltacht club in Rathcairn did not play Hurling while at same time Athboy, Trim and Dunderry did.

This was very good......some great stories told.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/622382448702267393

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Watching how the championship has gone so far since we were knocked out I can't help but feel a bit disappointed that this year could have been a missed opportunity for us.

Both Westmeath and Tyrone both have from what I can see a great chance of reaching the AI quarter finals and both have what would arguably be termed as "nice" draws. Tyrone beat Tipperary well and now play a very poor Sligo team. Westmeath on the other hand play Fermanagh which would be very beatable for them

We can all agree that apart from Leinster was the realistic goal for the Meath time for the last few years was reaching the AI quarter finals. And it's a bitter pill to swallow when you consider that we aurguably could've/should've beaten both W'Meath and Tyrone

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Watching how the championship has gone so far since we were knocked out I can't help but feel a bit disappointed that this year could have been a missed opportunity for us.

Both Westmeath and Tyrone both have from what I can see a great chance of reaching the AI quarter finals and both have what would arguably be termed as "nice" draws. Tyrone beat Tipperary well and now play a very poor Sligo team. Westmeath on the other hand play Fermanagh which would be very beatable for them

We can all agree that apart from Leinster was the realistic goal for the Meath time for the last few years was reaching the AI quarter finals. And it's a bitter pill to swallow when you consider that we aurguably could've/should've beaten both W'Meath and Tyrone

I'll be honest I'm jealous as hell of the teams left in the champo. A friend from Monaghan had a picture on his Facebook today of them having the fry up in his mothers before they hit Clones, in their Monaghan gear, and I near threw the phone out the window. Think I may try get some club games in to get it out of my system. Senior champo is back the weekend after the bank holiday anyway.

On another note with regards to hurling and cricket, I read somewhere recently cricket was huge in Kilkenny back about 120 years or so ago, so ye might be on to something. However cricket was and is big in North County Dublin and the hurling scene wouldn't be the best around that part of the county, in fact I think most of the hurling clubs in Dublin are on the southside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

This year was all about missed opportunities Hibbeler. None more so than the league. We could have sealed promotion against a very average Roscommon side. We won't see a Division 2 more winnable than that for a very long time so while I like Mick O'Dowd and I like the kind of football he wants us to play (at least in the championship) looking at next year's league, with the prospect of potentially playing four Ulster teams away, are we really served well by persisting with our current manager and his team?

Leinster is poor but untill Meath and Kildare are in Division 1 we won't see any realistic opposition to Dublin, that's just the way the modern game is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

HighKing33 wrote: »
    This year was all about missed opportunities Hibbeler. None more so than the league. We could have sealed promotion against a very average Roscommon side. We won't see a Division 2 more winnable than that for a very long time so while I like Mick O'Dowd and I like the kind of football he wants us to play (at least in the championship) looking at next year's league, with the prospect of potentially playing four Ulster teams away, are we really served well by persisting with our current manager and his team?

Leinster is poor but untill Meath and Kildare are in Division 1 we won't see any realistic opposition to Dublin, that's just the way the modern game is.
    Couldn't agree more. I said it last year (when we also sort of threw away promotion) that this year's division 2 was the easiest we'd be in for a long time. While we were soundly beaten by Galway, the Roscommon and especially the Laois game were ones we should have been winning. For the Laois game I'd place a lot of the blame on the sideline as it was clear over 20 minutes from the end that Laois were getting a run on us yet nothing was done. Had we held on in that game, it wouldn't have mattered what happened in the Roscommon game.

I also like MOD. And I do think we are in a better place than we were when Banty left. Unfortunately, I think we've actually regressed since MOD's first year in charge when I had high hopes for the future (young team putting it up to Dublin, undeservedly beaten - in my view - by Tyrone who went on to the semis. This was the year to make the step to the quarter finals. Had we gotten to the Leinster final it would have meant a much easier round 4 than the past 2 years and a great chance at a quarter final. But c'est la vie.

Anyone know when the club championships start up again? Eamonn Wallace has gone to America for the rest of the summer so that's not good news for us.

Champo is back the weekend after the August bank holiday. Apparently it is slated for an October finish too, which is really dragging the arse out of it now.

Folks its all well and good picking holes in the senior set up, but the bottom line is we've done sod all the last 20 years at under age. Until that is rectified we will be back on here this time every year lamenting championship exits.

Anyone know when the club championships start up again? Eamonn Wallace has gone to America for the rest of the summer so that's not good news for us.
    Were you at the game vs Trim? Great win for Trim and big reversal from championship.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Champo is back the weekend after the August bank holiday. Apparently it is slated for an October finish too, which is really dragging the arse out of it now.

Folks its all well and good picking holes in the senior set up, but the bottom line is we've done sod all the last 20 years at under age. Until that is rectified we will be back on here this time every year lamenting championship exits.

Thats mad, surely they should be aiming for a September finish? The week between the two All-Irelands is surely doable?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

dixiefly wrote: »
    Thats mad, surely they should be aiming for a September finish? The week between the two All-Irelands is surely doable?

Still a lot of games to be played. 2 rounds of hurling and football, then with preliminary quarters for football followed by quarter finals to finals for both. If football and hurling are on alternate weekends that's still 10 weekends of games left.

However, I'd agree with you. With the football championship starting in early April, and Meath knocked out in early July it's crazy to think it can drag on until October. It's not quite as bad for hurling, with championship having not started until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

rpurfield wrote: »

Usual nonsense, its always amazed me how they dragged it out so much, it'll probably be the bank holiday weekend to no doubt, they should just run it out early, finish it and let clubs/players have a good break.

Sean Kelly has stepped down as a selector. It is looking bad for Mick O'Dowd.

There needs to be some leadership and direction shown by Co. Board at next meeting.

Fixtures for the next round of the SFC and IFC are up.
    Thursday 6 August
    SFC

Gaeil Colmcille v Blackhall Gaels, 19.30, Walterstown, Jack Gordon

Friday 7 August
    SFC

St. Peters, Dunboyne v Moynalvey, 19.00, Summerhill, Paul Mooney
    Navan O'Mahonys v Ballinlough, 19.30, Athboy, David Gough

Saturday 8 August
    SFC

Seneschalstown v St. Patricks, 19.00, Duleek, Patrick Nelis
    Walterstown v Na Fianna, 19.00, Pairc Tailteann, Cormac Reilly

IFC
    Kilmainham v Nobber, 18.00, Kilmainhamwood, Marcus Quinn
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne v Cortown, 19.00, Skryne, Gerry Keoghan
    Ballinabrackey v Drumbaragh, 17.30, Pairc Tailteann, Richard Morris

Sunday 9 August
    SFC

Duleek/Bellewstown v Summerhill, 19.00, Ratoath, Joe Curley
    Wolfe Tones v Rathkenny, 15.30, Pairc Tailteann, David Coldrick
    Skryne v Donaghmore/Ashbourne, 15.30, Stamullen, Colm McManus

IFC
    St. Michaels v Clann Na nGael, 14.30, Kells, Liam O'Brien
    Castletown v Trim, 18.00, Simonstown, Gerry McGivney
    St. Ultans v Dunderry, 14.00, Pairc Tailteann, Patrick Coyle
    Ratoath v Ballivor, 15.00, Trim, Martin Griffin
    Longwood v St. Colmcilles, 13.30, Trim Seamus O'Connor
    Syddan v Oldcastle, 14.30, Carlanstown, Des Smyth

Tuesday 11 August
    SFC

Simonstown v Dunshaughlin, 19.30, Pairc Tailteann, Padraig Coyle

The A leagues are nearly finished up now too, we were playing Skryne tonight, I think there's one more round. Had a decent win 2-10 to 12, hopefully we can bring it into the championship now and push on, though I think the quarters may be beyond us.

On fixtures in general I think there's no excuse not to have the leagues and Junior B C and D ran off and finished by August, it's not like your waiting on players for them. If the A leagues are near finished there's no reason for the championships to go past the end of September.

• Advertisement

Am I right that they want to have the all-Ireland club championships completed within the calendar year? Surely that would mean that Meath have been given a set time by which to have the club championships completed by and surely that's relatively early?

Thats from next year Hibbeler I can't paste the link but if you google it its the top result.

The county board have recommended that Mick O'Dowd stays on as manager for a fourth year. Now it's up to the clubs to decide weather or not he stays on

http://www.hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=241465

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Hibbeler wrote: »
    The county board have recommended that Mick O'Dowd stays on as manager for a fourth year. Now it's up to the clubs to decide weather or not he stays on

http://www.hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=241465

Not sure how to feel about it. I know Meaths problems go beyond him but it's 3 years and no progress. Failed in all our objectives this year and blew the cherished Westmeath record.

It looks as if the reappointment of Mick O'Dowd will not be as straightforward as we thought.

Big Joe is not a fan and the implication is that other clubs might not be happy.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=241509

If MOD where to be booted out, who would take over? There doesn't seem to be currently a queue of suitable candidates at the moment. One would hope that if the clubs do pull the trigger then they would have one or two willing to be put forward for the role.

Personally if there were no suitable replacements available and someone like Graham Geraghty came in and took the vacant selector's position I'd be OK with Mick staying on for another year. GG would be the type to take no nonsense and would be good at motivating the players imo.

Certainly whatever happens I hope that we don't see Mick voted out just for the sake of it

Yeah I'm beginning to think the same. I'd rather a stable, if mediocre, management team than voting him out and leaving us in limbo for months. I can't think of many suitable candidates from inside the county off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

First of all, this thing of the clubs voting on the manager is nonsense. Do any other counties do this? Let the clubs elect a chairperson, a secretary and whatever else and let that be the mandate for those people to then decide on senior county managers or if they want to delegate it out to a group.

Club delegates often have separate agendas which will influence their vote and also many vote having only consulted with one or two in their club. I can't see how giving delegates this power can be a good thing. Anyway for now, it is what it is and Micko's fate is in their own hands.

What I'd like to know is do Meath supporters really think Micko should go? While I would be the first to admit 2015 went completely pear-shaped, I couldn't hold the management team to such high standards that would make them accountable for how it all unfolded.

If you look past the Westmeath collapse and a tough away draw to qualifier specialists Tyrone, then maybe you can cut the management some slack. Promotion from Division 3 in year one and two consecutive third place finishes in Division 2 represent progress in my opinion. Before Micko's reign you would be going back to the late nineties to find such League consistency. There's no denying that. This thing of not reaching Division 1 is seriously inflated expectations. We have not been there for nearly 15 years and much better Meath teams in the interim couldn't do it.

I also think while championship results have gone against us, there's been plenty to take in some of the performances. Even the Tyrone game showed to me there were definite signs of improvement and to me that was one of those games which could have went either way right up until the end. The first half against Westmeath was especially impressive. If like me you can say the team were in some ways the victims of some tough luck, then those results become a bit more forgivable.

Stability for the sake of stability is no good but there is plenty to take forward into 2016 and the lack of an obvious alternative, along the injury crises in 2015 and maybe resources not been as strong as we'd like, I think it would be harsh to get rid of Micko given what he's been able to do so far. He has a job on his hands to convince people he should remain on and the one worry I would have if he remains in the job is that the margin of error next year will be tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Excellent interview with Sean Boylan on Off The Ball tonight.
    Some great stories from glory days and interesting view points on the current side

• Advertisement

First of all, this thing of the clubs voting on the manager is nonsense. Do any other counties do this? Let the clubs elect a chairperson, a secretary and whatever else and let that be the mandate for those people to then decide on senior county managers or if they want to delegate it out to a group.

Club delegates often have separate agendas which will influence their vote and also many vote having only consulted with one or two in their club. I can't see how giving delegates this power can be a good thing. Anyway for now, it is what it is and Micko's fate is in their own hands.

What I'd like to know is do Meath supporters really think Micko should go? While I would be the first to admit 2015 went completely pear-shaped, I couldn't hold the management team to such high standards that would make them accountable for how it all unfolded.

If you look past the Westmeath collapse and a tough away draw to qualifier specialists Tyrone, then maybe you can cut the management some slack. Promotion from Division 3 in year one and two consecutive third place finishes in Division 2 represent progress in my opinion. Before Micko's reign you would be going back to the late nineties to find such League consistency. There's no denying that. This thing of not reaching Division 1 is seriously inflated expectations. We have not been there for nearly 15 years and much better Meath teams in the interim couldn't do it.

I also think while championship results have gone against us, there's been plenty to take in some of the performances. Even the Tyrone game showed to me there were definite signs of improvement and to me that was one of those games which could have went either way right up until the end. The first half against Westmeath was especially impressive. If like me you can say the team were in some ways the victims of some tough luck, then those results become a bit more forgivable.

Stability for the sake of stability is no good but there is plenty to take forward into 2016 and the lack of an obvious alternative, along the injury crises in 2015 and maybe resources not been as strong as we'd like, I think it would be harsh to get rid of Micko given what he's been able to do so far. He has a job on his hands to convince people he should remain on and the one worry I would have if he remains in the job is that the margin of error next year will be tiny.

Nearly every full county board will ratify a new manager, and as for wanting to know what Meath fans want, are the club delegates not that? What happens anyway is that the delegates are mandated from their clubs to vote a certain way, so in theory all club members have a say in it. I say theory because I would say it's a fairly safe bet that there are clubs out there who let their county board delegates act as independent republics!!

If Micko is being launched it would be my preference that there is a short list drawn up already, however I'd imagine it's more like no plan B if backing him doesn't find favour at the full county board meeting, and we wouldn't see a manager installed till October or November

Advertisement