Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

Trevor Giles has stepped down as Selector

Surely MOD has to go now as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Well it could also be construed as an opportunity for Mick to freshen up the backroom team and replace Sean and Trevor with new selectors and move on from there.

Though, personally, I would say that the Co. board would be mad to endorse Mick on Monday night without selectors in place. A major part of the reason that he got the job in the first place was because of the backroom team that he employed and they are mostly gone now.

I think that the co board should stall on ratification and allow Mick to resubmit his team and allow others to do likewise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Some result for the Lough beating O'Mahony's.
    Kells in with a good shout of making the knockouts. Sort of shows that there isn't really a massive difference between the top end of Intermediate and the senior ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Kells in with a good shout of making the knockouts. Sort of shows that there isn't really a massive difference between the top end of Intermediate and the senior ranks.

Hasn't it always been like that?

Anyway isn't it funny watching Tyrone reach an all Ireland semi. To think if we had of Beaten them we could have gone on a great run. And so what if we ended up going out to kerry in a moral victory. It would have lifted the whole county and gave us great hope and momentum for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

That Ballinlough result was great for them but terrible for us, especially with losing to Senchelstown yesterday. Can someone explain how the senior relegation works? On the other hand the junior team had a massive win over St. Marys, another league and championship double looks a possibilty for them!

On another note, I didn't watch Tyrone yesterday but I'm sick as a small hospital over the result. We really left the match behind us in Omagh, then again the nature of that Meath team we probably would have lost in Thurles.

Edit: On another note again, I think I read somewhere Gael Colmcille have only lost two matches all year? Serious going that.

• Advertisement

Think the bottom teams in each SFC group go into a round robin group and the bottom team in that goes down to Intermediate.

U21 hurlers beat Kerry in Trim yesterday 2-15 to 1-17 thanks to a last minute goal by Gavin McGowan. They'll play Mayo in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Hasn't it always been like that?

Anyway isn't it funny watching Tyrone reach an all Ireland semi. To think if we had of Beaten them we could have gone on a great run. And so what if we ended up going out to kerry in a moral victory. It would have lifted the whole county and gave us great hope and momentum for next year.

I think that there is very little to suggest that if we had beaten Tyrone (which we should have) that we would have progressed anywhere close to what Tyrone have done. I just dont buy that. I was not at the Tyrone game but, by all reports, Tyrone were really poor that day and have improved since and also they have a very tactically astute manager with a particular system whether we like it or no.

We had a management that didnt really have a plan A let alone a plan B, not really sure of the best formation, played some of out better players out of position, very porous up the middle and the team generally faded towards the end of the second half. Several opportunities in league and championship were spurned. The one win in championship we did get was at home against Wicklow and they ran riot through our defence at times.

So to use the fact that we came close to Tyrone as some sort of a positive just does not wash with me ad is more of an indictment of how far we have dropped as a county.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

jimd2 wrote: »
    I think that there is very little to suggest that if we had beaten Tyrone (which we should have) that we would have progressed anywhere close to what Tyrone have done. I just dont buy that. I was not at the Tyrone game but, by all reports, Tyrone were really poor that day and have improved since and also they have a very tactically astute manager with a particular system whether we like it or no.

We had a management that didnt really have a plan A let alone a plan B, not really sure of the best formation, played some of out better players out of position, very porous up the middle and the team generally faded towards the end of the second half. Several opportunities in league and championship were spurned. The one win in championship we did get was at home against Wicklow and they ran riot through our defence at times.

So to use the fact that we came close to Tyrone as some sort of a positive just does not wash with me ad is more of an indictment of how far we have dropped as a county.

Personally assuming we would have had the same draw as Tyrone after their game we would surely have beaten Tipperary and Sligo, in fact those would have both the sort of games where I'd have seen MOD set up the team into all out attack mode and barring a Westmeath style collapse relatively comfortable victories. Probably would have come undone against Monaghan (as per past league form).

Had that happened for all thier failings the team would have finally completed their modest goal of reaching a quarter final and we would be almost certainly keeping the management team for another year

So I was helping out with car parking duties for the Summerhill - Duleek/Bellewstown game in Ratoath this evening and stayed on to watch the game itself. Summerhill were cruising to victory and I decided to head home with less than 20 minutes to go with the score at 1-12 to 3 points.

It finished 1-13 apiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Duleek/Bellewstown are the Bray Wanderers of the Meath SFC, they always seem to somehow survive year after year, with some spectacular results every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Up the Lough :)

History shows Meath football needs North Meath footballers on the county team for the county team to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

dixiefly wrote: »
    Well it could also be construed as an opportunity for Mick to freshen up the backroom team and replace Sean and Trevor with new selectors and move on from there.

Though, personally, I would say that the Co. board would be mad to endorse Mick on Monday night without selectors in place. A major part of the reason that he got the job in the first place was because of the backroom team that he employed and they are mostly gone now.

I think that the co board should stall on ratification and allow Mick to resubmit his team and allow others to do likewise.

Did Trevor give any reason for not going forward again? If it is for personal reasons ok, but if it is a case that he does not believe in the setup, then that is another matter altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Duleek/Bellewstown are the Bray Wanderers of the Meath SFC, they always seem to somehow survive year after year, with some spectacular results every so often.

Graham seems to have instilled some good team spirit and believe in to them, its interesting what can be achieved if you got them traits, i wonder if it could work elsewhere

Did Trevor give any reason for not going forward again? If it is for personal reasons ok, but if it is a case that he does not believe in the setup, then that is another matter altogether.

Acc to hoganstand -> Having spent a year as part of Seamus McEnaney’s backroom team, Giles completed three years with his club mate O’Dowd and has now decided to focus on family and business commitments.

I heard that the vote tonight is not a foregone conclusion either way and that the vote could be close enough.

I suppose no one will know till it's taken, is it open or closed ballot?

Graham seems to have instilled some good team spirit and believe in to them, its interesting what can be achieved if you got them traits, i wonder if it could work elsewhere
    To be honest, that team spirit was nowhere to be found for the first 40 minutes of that game. I'm still at a loss as to how Summerhill didn't win. They were dominant in every position and Barry Dardis was causing Duleek all sorts of trouble. A lot of Duleek players almost didn't seem interested. I don't know did that suddenly change after 40 minutes or did Summerhill think the game was over and ease off because I left early, but Duleek were abysmal for two thirds of that game.

To be honest, that team spirit was nowhere to be found for the first 40 minutes of that game. I'm still at a loss as to how Summerhill didn't win. They were dominant in every position and Barry Dardis was causing Duleek all sorts of trouble. A lot of Duleek players almost didn't seem interested. I don't know did that suddenly change after 40 minutes or did Summerhill think the game was over and ease off because I left early, but Duleek were abysmal for two thirds of that game.

So they finished the game strongly to, this is also good news, he trains them well ;)

To be honest, i'm amazed they have lasted so long in the senior ranks, i know Bellewstown is with them but they wouldn't exactly have been a powerhouse on their own, If he keeps them up again, he's doing a very good job i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

So they finished the game strongly to, this is also good news, he trains them well ;)

To be honest, i'm amazed they have lasted so long in the senior ranks, i know Bellewstown is with them but they wouldn't exactly have been a powerhouse on their own, If he keeps them up again, he's doing a very good job i reckon.

Bellewstown is no addition to them really, any of their decent players generally stayed in Duleek for adult football before the merger as they always played underage together. When they merged Bellewstown would've been in a fairly bad way.

On another note above, talk of Meath needing a stong North Meath to do well, Meath have only won All Irelands when they've had Pats players on the panel since we were formed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭paul71

rpurfield wrote: »
    Bellewstown is no addition to them really, any of their decent players generally stayed in Duleek for adult football before the merger as they always played underage together. When they merged Bellewstown would've been in a fairly bad way.

On another note above, talk of Meath needing a stong North Meath to do well, Meath have only won All Irelands when they've had Pats players on the panel since we were formed ;)

Ok, I will bite, Pat the Red in 67, McQuillan in '87 and '88, Murphy in '95, Sullivan in '99. I will need help with 48' and '54 or did St. Pats exist then?

rpurfield wrote: »

Well i think history proves, if there is Seneschalstown men involved, Meath win trophies ;)

• Advertisement

I hear there is plenty of debate at the county board meeting about MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

Mick O'Dowd has been ratified as manager :(

Micko's back

Conchy wrote: »
    Mick O'Dowd has been ratified as manager :(

2 years with a review at end of next year, unbelievable

No vote either it seems, hmmmm

Well that's it, I am surprised that there was no vote.

I cannot help think what Eamonn O'Brien makes of all this.

We will have to get behind Mick in 2016. Lets hope he brings some shrewd selectors on board and starts with a clean slate player wise and doesnt always see a light inexperienced forward as the goto option when things are going badly.

I've heard the same pearl of wisdom regarding North Meath players being from that neck of the woods myself. Clearly since there are only 2 North Meath starters on the panel (Keoghan and Newman) this is the reason the Meath team has been underperforming :pac:

On MOD being retained as manager when will we know who he intends to bring in as selectors. If the choice is a good one we could hopefully be in a better position next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

From the Chronicle artic;e

Paddy Ward (Dunshaughlin) and Gerry Fitzpatrick (Simonstown Gaels) highlighted the fact that the Co Board was in breach of its own regulations by not allowing the clubs to submit nominations as per the rule book.

Speaking in support of the reappointment...

Ratoath delegate Andy Fahy urged the delegates to support the appointment.

“Mick O'Dowd is the man to lead the Meath team, we can trust him so we should let him get on with it,” he said.

Ratoath delegate speaking out in support of the reappointment - what a surprise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The '49 team seemed to be dominated by "North Meath" players alright.
    http://hoganstand.com/Meath/meath49/pens.aspx

That said, where exactly does North Meath begin or end? You'd imagine the demographics of the county in recent times would swing all the players towards the center/south of the county. Just looking at a map of Meath, I'd say 3/4s of the population lives south of the Boyne or the N51.

Seems North Meath teams do best in the intermediate championship, with 5 of the last 10 IFC titles going north of Navan. Though on the other hand, in the last 10 years Gaeil Colmcille, Cortown, Ballinlough, Oldcastle, Nobber, St. Ultans and Kilmainhamwood have all been relegated from senior.

• Advertisement

The '49 team seemed to be dominated by "North Meath" players alright.
    http://hoganstand.com/Meath/meath49/pens.aspx

That said, where exactly does North Meath begin or end? You'd imagine the demographics of the county in recent times would swing all the players towards the center/south of the county. Just looking at a map of Meath, I'd say 3/4s of the population lives south of the Boyne or the N51.

Seems North Meath teams do best in the intermediate championship, with 5 of the last 10 IFC titles going north of Navan. Though on the other hand, in the last 10 years Gaeil Colmcille, Cortown, Ballinlough, Oldcastle, Nobber, St. Ultans and Kilmainhamwood have all been relegated from senior.

Also there's only two Skryne fellas on the team according to that article which is strange enough considering they were fairly dominant at club level at that time.

Advertisement