Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

jimd2 wrote: »

Speaking in support of the reappointment...

Ratoath delegate Andy Fahy urged the delegates to support the appointment.

“Mick O'Dowd is the man to lead the Meath team, we can trust him so we should let him get on with it,” he said.

Ratoath delegate speaking out in support of the reappointment - what a surprise!!
    He was unanimously supported.

Seems to be a definite trend this year from fans to shove a lot of the blame for Meath's woes on Ratoath. We had 5 players on the panel this year and the only one you could say possibly didn't deserve a place was Joey Wallace (and I'd contend his performances were mostly down to him being played out of position).

I'm a bit 50/50 on MOD's reappointment. On one hand, he seems to have support of the players and it's not a bad thing to have stability on the managerial front. Also, since the Tyrone game I haven't heard one credible alternative mentioned. On the other hand, after a positive first year where we were unlucky not to reach the quarter finals, we've regressed in the championship both years. Also, the lack of promotion in the league is extremely disappointing especially given that Division 2 was incredibly weak this year.

No choice now but to get behind him. Hoping we can at least get some luck on the injury front.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

He was unanimously supported.

Seems to be a definite trend this year from fans to shove a lot of the blame for Meath's woes on Ratoath. We had 5 players on the panel this year and the only one you could say possibly didn't deserve a place was Joey Wallace (and I'd contend his performances were mostly down to him being played out of position).

I'm a bit 50/50 on MOD's reappointment. On one hand, he seems to have support of the players and it's not a bad thing to have stability on the managerial front. Also, since the Tyrone game I haven't heard one credible alternative mentioned. On the other hand, after a positive first year where we were unlucky not to reach the quarter finals, we've regressed in the championship both years. Also, the lack of promotion in the league is extremely disappointing especially given that Division 2 was incredibly weak this year.

No choice now but to get behind him. Hoping we can at least get some luck on the injury front.
    Not trying to have a go, just thought it was a bit irionic the Ratoath delegate speaking up.

But what Micko's fixation or faith in Joey the last 2 years was I will never understand. There were other players closer to their peak age, more experienced and physically stronger that he never called on.

I am also 50/50 on the appointment but will accept it now and lets hope that some good selectors will be identified and that we can get promotion next year.

jimd2 wrote: »
    Not trying to have a go, just thought it was a bit irionic the Ratoath delegate speaking up.

But what Micko's fixation or faith in Joey the last 2 years was I will never understand. There were other players closer to their peak age, more experienced and physically stronger that he never called on.

I am also 50/50 on the appointment but will accept it now and lets hope that some good selectors will be identified and that we can get promotion next year.

Joey's a corner forward. And a good one at that. He's been one of the best players in the Intermediate championship this year. If Micko picked him at corner forward, I'd have no problem. I can't understand why he was constantly played out the field. He has been made a scapegoat at times this season and him not even 20 years of age.

Promotion is must next season. Also actually playing for the full 70 minutes consistently. I think in just the Down game did we actually play well for the whole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

A player of age 18/19 would have to be really really good and quite physically strong to be considered. It's not Joey's fault that Micko was constantly picking him and his inclusions are part of the reason that many in the county lost faith with Micko. Hopefully Joey will fulfill his potential with the county.

And yes, agreed on the need to play for the full 70 & promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

I don't think it's Joey's fault at all, he has some potential but is still young and has plenty of opportunity to fulfill it.

I think however that he was brought on near the end of games (the Armagh game last year springs to mind) where we needed scores to win and expected to deliver. In reality that's the sort of occasion you want to bring on a tough experienced campaigner, a Peadar Byrne or Joe Sheridan type who can make an impact not an inexperienced young lad.

Maybe Joey can get a decent run out in the league and can establish himself properly. The best thing about Mick O'Dowd's reign as manager (whatever his tactical failures) has been his willingness to try out new young talent, Joey included. I read somewhere he gave debuts to 18 different players and that's a positive in my book. Previous managers hardly were as willing to do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

paul71 wrote: »
    Ok, I will bite, Pat the Red in 67, McQuillan in '87 and '88, Murphy in '95, Sullivan in '99. I will need help with 48' and '54 or did St. Pats exist then?

The club was founded in 1950, Kevin Lenihan is our claim on 54, but to be honest I think he was playing with Duleek at the time and moved afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I really hope that they have made the right call on this one.

Gonna be another hard season and we are not overflowing with talent in the county. we need Micko and the selectors to make the best of what we do have and to identify and motivate new players to the cause. Also persuade some players to return that left the panel for various reasons.

We keep on saying crucial year ahead, this is another one. I fear for the general level of support for the team and general county teams. we really are in danger of cementing ourselves back in the pack without a really strong push forward.

Choice of selectors are to be ratified at next meeting. I would hope that they are semi lined up at this stage and announced in the next few days. Anything else would be same old same old ambling along.

If Micko has real intent he will follow up with an announcement of selectors in next few days and not wait another month or whenever the next county board meeting is and wait till then. We need the selectors going to games and being seen at games. Also an interview in the Chronicle outlining what will be done differently next year would be a positive move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Very disappointed with the behavior of our County Board, they essentially chose to continue with Mick O'Dowd even though we've regressed year on year and the clubs as well of course for their lack of protest and apparent lack of interest. This whole process of reappointment has been a charade conducted by a county board which is now looking as bad if not worse than the ones which let us down so badly over the last 10-15 years, it's very disheartening.

So basically at this point I'd like to wish Mick O'Dowd all the best for the next 2 seasons, I have very little faith in him but I genuinely want him to succeed because I love Meath football.

I'd imagine Mick has his selectors lined up and all, well I'd like to think he has, and just held off until he was reappointed. On the lack of interest has anyone read Anthony Moyles' piece in the Chronicle a week or two back where he talks about all that?

rpurfield wrote: »
    I'd imagine Mick has his selectors lined up and all, well I'd like to think he has, and just held off until he was reappointed. On the lack of interest has anyone read Anthony Moyles' piece in the Chronicle a week or two back where he talks about all that?

Lets hope you are right and he will be in a position to announce in the next week or so and not leave it until the next rubberstamp co board meeting.

• Advertisement

Very disappointed with the behavior of our County Board, they essentially chose to continue with Mick O'Dowd even though we've regressed year on year and the clubs as well of course for their lack of protest and apparent lack of interest. This whole process of reappointment has been a charade conducted by a county board which is now looking as bad if not worse than the ones which let us down so badly over the last 10-15 years, it's very disheartening.

So basically at this point I'd like to wish Mick O'Dowd all the best for the next 2 seasons, I have very little faith in him but I genuinely want him to succeed because I love Meath football.

I was just thinking this evening - how bad would it have to have been this year for the county board to have even considered a change?

Let's face it our performances in the championship couldnt have been worse. Our league form was just about fair and we kept our div 2 status. Say, if we had been relegated to div 3 would that have influenced the co board to make a change? I just dont know.

Anyway, whats done is done and I really wish them all the best as the GAA in Meath is relying on them, another 2 or 3 years in the doldrums would be very difficult to bear and also to turn around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

It was clear early on that our county board had earmarked Mick O'Dowd for a lenghty spell in charge of the Meath senior team, Mick was talking about a five year plan in only his second year - that says a lot. Some aspects of the reappointment seem unfair but he was given unanimous backing so he deserves our support.

I'm happy that it's a Meath man, he's clearly passionate about what he's doing but there are so many pieces that need to fall into place, e.g. does he even know his best team? If we went out and played every game like that first half Vs. Westmeath I would be thrilled but in all honesty our league games were hard to watch this year.

I think the penny may have dropped, he changed things against Tyrone. We saw Dalton and Harnan in the half-back line where they're most effective and we're not seeing Joey Wallace and Brian McMahon running the ball at half-forward. Get the backroom team and the tactics right going into the national league next year and it could be a good one. An Mhi abu!

HighKing33 wrote: »
    It was clear early on that our county board had earmarked Mick O'Dowd for a lenghty spell in charge of the Meath senior team, Mick was talking about a five year plan in only his second year - that says a lot. Some aspects of the reappointment seem unfair but he was given unanimous backing so he deserves our support.

I'm happy that it's a Meath man, he's clearly passionate about what he's doing but there are so many pieces that need to fall into place, e.g. does he even know his best team? If we went out and played every game like that first half Vs. Westmeath I would be thrilled but in all honesty our league games were hard to watch this year.

I think the penny may have dropped, he changed things against Tyrone. We saw Dalton and Harnan in the half-back line where they're most effective and we're not seeing Joey Wallace and Brian McMahon running the ball at half-forward. Get the backroom team and the tactics right going into the national league next year and it could be a good one. An Mhi abu!
    Penny might have dropped on that one but does that mean he is going to cop on more quickly to new problems that arrived. I hope he will but doubt it.

But here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Also there's only two Skryne fellas on the team according to that article which is strange enough considering they were fairly dominant at club level at that time.

The Manager at the time was a Garda from Kerry (Russell) in either Kells or Oldcastle as far as i can recall, hence the strong North Meath Contingent.

My heart sank a little bit yesterday, with the news that MOD got back in for another term, hopefully he can prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭paul71

I really hope the ref wasn't stopping that for a free there, what a shoulder!! It's amazing the way former county footballers only lose the legs and nothing else, our juniors were playing Rathkenny in the B league a couple of weeks ago and Donal Curtis was playing corner forward on one of our young lads and he gave him an awful time of it, he still has it all in his head anyway

rpurfield wrote: »
    I really hope the ref wasn't stopping that for a free there, what a shoulder!! It's amazing the way former county footballers only lose the legs and nothing else, our juniors were playing Rathkenny in the B league a couple of weeks ago and Donal Curtis was playing corner forward on one of our young lads and he gave him an awful time of it, he still has it all in his head anyway

Anyone the photo of Donal in 99 making the flying tackle in the AI semi final v Armagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

Hey All.
    I was just wondering is there any where I can get DVDs of old games, the late 80s and 90s if I could. My son is always hearing us at home talking about the "glory days" and howuch meath and the whole game has changed over the years I would love to show him s few of the old games.
    Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Tikka391 wrote: »
    Hey All.
    I was just wondering is there any where I can get DVDs of old games, the late 80s and 90s if I could. My son is always hearing us at home talking about the "glory days" and howuch meath and the whole game has changed over the years I would love to show him s few of the old games.
    Many Thanks

http://www.dvdsales.ie/home/gaa_dvds_by_county.1072.html
    http://www.dvdsales.ie/shop/football.417.340.sports.html

I bought the 1983 (I'm a Dub!) and it was good quality. RTÉ's coverage of the semi and the final of that year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

http://www.dvdsales.ie/home/gaa_dvds_by_county.1072.html
    http://www.dvdsales.ie/shop/football.417.340.sports.html

I bought the 1983 (I'm a Dub!) and it was good quality. RTÉ's coverage of the semi and the final of that year.

Thanks for that info

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well ye won the Rose of Tralee, though the Louth Rose is accusing her of getting a push from Joe Sheridan. :)

Team for tomorrow's U21B semi final against Mayo.
    Charlie Bird Boardsmill, David Conneely Kildalkey, Luke Rickard Kildalkey, Colm McGrath Trim, Conor O'Shea Dunderry, Sean McGrath Dunboyne, Eamon Ryan Kiltale, Luke Martyn Dunderry, Stefan Kelly Killyon, Gavin McGowan Ratoath, Jack Regan Kiltale, Patrick Potterton Kildalkey, Josh Wall Drumree, Fergal Flattery Boardsmill, James Andrews Trim.

Throw in is 2pm in Trim.

All Ireland final!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

All Ireland final!!!!

Fcuk yeah!!! Won't hear a bad word about the county board after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Although the camogie team surrendered an 8 point lead in their semi. Sound familiar?

So the group stages of the club championships are finished today and we can look forward to the business end of proceedings. We already know the knock out stage pairings and they've brought up some interesting clashes. The last two senior championship winners O'Mahony's and Summerhill pair off, and a repeat of last years intermediate semi with Rathoath and Ballinabrackey. Also interesting is the North Meath derbies in the intermediate with Syddan playing Castletown and the winner playing Nobber.

Senior Football Chamionship
    Preliminary: Skryne v Dunshaughlin the winners play Dunboyne
    Donaghmore Ashbourne v Na Fianna
    Gaeil Colmcille v Wolfe Tones
    Navan O'Mahonys v Summerhill

Intermediate Football Championship
    Preliminary: Castletown v Syddan the winners play Nobber
    Ratoath v Ballinabrackey
    St Colmcilles v St Michaels
    Trim v Kilmainham

Junior A Football Championship
    Preliminary: Dunsany v Moylagh the winners play Simonstown
    Navan O'Mahonys v Curraha
    Bective v Dunboyne
    Summerhill v Carnaross

Not sure what to expect from the Bracks. Probably the draw both teams were dreading. Hopefully Eamonn Wallace is back for it.

So what do people make of the steering group proposals? They are good but don't go nearly far enough for me. There needs to be a serious look at the underage competitions, club structures and coaching in schools for me.
    Here's the eight recommendations that the Football Steering Group presented to a specially convened meeting of club officers on Monday night...
    • U14 & U15 Squads to continue as is. U14 Manager appointed on a 2 year term to follow the team to U15, this will be reviewed annually.
    • U16 Manager appointed to follow team to Minor level. This will mean annual turnover of Minor manager but the incumbent will have 2 years to develop the squad to Minor.
    • The introduction of the Rookie Squad, which will cater for players who come out of Minor level. This squad will be made up of 19 & 20 year olds.
    • There will be a link in management teams between the Rookie squad and the U21 squad.
    • The U21 manager will be appointed on a 2 year term, which will be reviewed annually. The manager will have full access to his squad until their season is complete.
    • The Junior team will become an U23 Senior Development panel.
    • The appointment of a full time S&C/Fitness coach who will devise, implement and monitor the carrying out of age & development specific training plans for all our squads from U14 – U23.
    • Quarterly meetings to be held between all management teams from U14 - Senior and the Steering Group.

• Advertisement

The Junior team to be an U23 development squad is a no-brainer and should have been done long ago. The Rookie squad thing is a good idea imo, do any other counties do similar?

agree there is a lot more that could be done but any step in the right direction can only be a good thing

Advertisement