Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Tyrone are probably the strongest team in Div 2 next year so at least we have them at home.

We've come third in the division for the last two years, it's time we stepped up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Provisional NFL Fixtures for 2016

30/1 - Armagh H
    7/2 - Fermanagh A
    28/2 - Cavan H
    6/3 - Galway A
    13/3 - Tyrone H
    27/3 - Derry A
    2/4 - Laois A

3 home and 4 away so promotion is going to have to be done the hard way.

We can forget about promotion talk with that group of teams. Spring 2016 is about survival.

I'll eat my hat if Meath get promoted (feel free to quote in April)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Provisional NFL Fixtures for 2016

30/1 - Armagh H
    7/2 - Fermanagh A
    28/2 - Cavan H
    6/3 - Galway A13/3 - Tyrone H
    27/3 - Derry A
    2/4 - Laois A

3 home and 4 away so promotion is going to have to be done the hard way.

Galway away two years in a row? I thought these were usually alternated.

dixiefly wrote: »
    Galway away two years in a row? I thought these were usually alternated.

That'll be 3 in row at home to Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

We'd Armagh at home season before last as well, so I'm guessing they just try to fill it as swapping the total number of homes and aways compared to last season instead of alternating teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Its probably pretty difficult, if not mathematically impossible to have each team alternate home and away with every team in the country over several seasons across several divisions, while also having no more than 4 home or away games per season.

Its probably pretty difficult, if not mathematically impossible to have each team alternate home and away with every team in the country over several seasons across several divisions, while also having no more than 4 home or away games per season.

Surely you could at least alternate with the teams which remain in the same division as you from the year before. The teams promoted/relegated from other divisions can be counted as new almost.

Anyway I know the league is a long ways away yet but the truth is despite our current failings there's not one of those teams in div 2 next year whom I don't believe we can beat. So while I'm in a positive mood I'm going to say that I hope iDave has a tasty hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

It's just luck of the draw as regards fixtures. We need to man up and improve anyway and like posters have said, next years league will be a tough assignment.

Still think there's bags of potential in that team. If we get Cillian O'Sullivan back fit, add Alan Forde and maybe Darragh Smyth to the panel, get a song out of Damian Carroll, with the Wallaces inside there's a lot of pace in that side and while it might not really matter until the ground dries up in the summer I still think a lot of teams will struggle to live with this Meath side if we hit form. And with Gillespie back there's another opportunity to have a better look at O'Rourke on the edge of the square. Maybe I'm just the eternal optimist, I don't know. Here's hoping!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ratoath through to our first ever Intermediate final thanks to a 1-13 to 10 points win over St. Colmcilles.
    Brian Power had a very good game on Graham Reilly.

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Anyway I know the league is a long ways away yet but the truth is despite our current failings there's not one of those teams in div 2 next year whom I don't believe we can beat. So while I'm in a positive mood I'm going to say that I hope iDave has a tasty hat.

I'll keep that Salsa Brava sauce i got in Lidl in the fridge just in case.
    But realistically everyone will view Meath as a winnable game and they have all had results against us in recent years except Fermanagh.
    Ratoath through to our first ever Intermediate final thanks to a 1-13 to 10 points win over St. Colmcilles.
    Brian Power had a very good game on Graham Reilly.

Fingers crossed its Trim who gets to beat you in the final

• Advertisement

iDave wrote: »
    But realistically everyone will view Meath as a winnable game and they have all had results against us in recent years except Fermanagh.

Fingers crossed its Trim who gets to beat you in the final
    The problem with us is that we can beat anyone in that division on the day. Unfortunately, we can't beat everyone in that division in the same season. So for every performance like Down this season there'll be a performance like Roscommon this season. I'd be more happy if we could consistently get decent performances rather than have brilliant performance followed by a rubbish one.

Neither team is going to be easy for Ratoath in the final. Hopefully we'll get a dry day this time because yesterday's weather was ridiculous. Also, the sooner the lights in PT are fixed the better because having the game in Duleek was a joke (which is in no way a slight on Duleek, by jaysus the volunteers on duty for the game did a phenomenal job).

iDave wrote: »

In fairness I know the consensus is that Div 2 will be harder next year, but other than Tyrone there's no great shakes in the division. Fermanagh had a good year this year but everyone else basically fell flat in the qualifiers. So realistically imo not only will others will see Meath as a winnable game but everyone will see every game in that division as winnable.

My money would be on Laois to go down and Tyrone to go up, it's anyone's guess where the other places will go. Meath are more than capable of going up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

We can get six points from the first three games, that's plausible. Two points from Armagh, deal with all their guff, be prepared for a physical game and then go into the next two games in confident mood. Galway will fancy their chances at home but I'm not convinced by them with Kevin Walsh at the helm.

Look, we're well able to win promotion. We have these twenty minute spells where we're unplayable and then we deflate. Even against the Dubs in the O'Byrne cup, we had them on the ropes and they looked well rattled bar a couple of favourable breaks we would have won it.

Brian Power looks a good man-marker, has good concentration but I hate seeing him in the half-back line at this level where he doesn't offer much going forward. I'd say he's a natural full-back, where he played for his college. Another good young player coming through!

Nobber win in extra time to set up a final date with Ratoath.

rpurfield, looks like ye're getting a reprieve. Rathkenny 6 points up against Walterstown in the last few minutes.

rpurfield, looks like ye're getting a reprieve. Rathkenny 6 points up against Walterstown in the last few minutes.

Yep finished 1 13 to 9 anyway, I'll take it anyway, harsh on Walterstown, they must be a long time senior.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Yep finished 1 13 to 9 anyway, I'll take it anyway, harsh on Walterstown, they must be a long time senior.
    Second longest stint in senior supposedly. I see they won Intermediate back in 1964, just 3 years after winning Junior.

Who would be the longest at Senior? Presumably Skryne?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭paul71

Second longest stint in senior supposedly. I see they won Intermediate back in 1964, just 3 years after winning Junior.

Or O’Mahonys?

Good question, I don't know but I'd say them or Summerhill off the top of my head, just scanning back in my head I seem to remember most of the others winning an Intermediate, a fair few at our expense too!!

Good question, I don't know but I'd say them or Summerhill off the top of my head, just scanning back in my head I seem to remember most of the others winning an Intermediate, a fair few at our expense too!!

Summerhill were intermediate in late 60s.

• Advertisement

paul71 wrote: »
    Summerhill were intermediate in late 60s.

Found this on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meath_Senior_Football_Championship

It gives the start of the current spell at senior in it, Skyrne are longest by a country mile they've 30 years on Seneschalstown

Found this on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meath_Senior_Football_Championship

It gives the start of the current spell at senior in it, Skyrne are longest by a country mile they've 30 years on Seneschalstown

Well I was way out by punting for O’Mahonys, 80 years is impressive for Skyne!

paul71 wrote: »
    Well I was way out by punting for O’Mahonys, 80 years is impressive for Skyne!

Especially considering they aren't a town team with a huge pick. I remember O'Mahoney's needing a couple of bites to come back up to senior, Ballivor bet them in a final I think the year before they came up, O'Mahoney's kicked a rake of wides in the game, the Ballivor keeper done a Cluxton and kicked a 45 at the end to win it. Maybe that's where Cluxton got the idea from :D

Interesting discussion topic on how long teams have been senior. Anybody have any idea what the oldest club in Meath might have been? I believe that Syddan has existed in some form or another since the 1890s but I'm not sure if that's an unbroken period of time or even if it's anywhere near the oldest.

Interesting discussion topic on how long teams have been senior. Anybody have any idea what the oldest club in Meath might have been? I believe that Syddan has existed in some form or another since the 1890s but I'm not sure if that's an unbroken period of time or even if it's anywhere near the oldest.

I found this interesting in the link rp provided

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meath_Senior_Football_Championship

Defunct clubs (Football)
    An Ghaeltacht Athboy Baconstown Batterstown Bellewstown Bohermeen Carlanstown Dowdstown Drumree Duleek Enfield Flathouse Julianstown Kilallon Kilcloon Kilbeg Kilmessan Martry Harps Navan Gaels Navan Harps Navan Parnells Oristown Own Roes Navan Pierce O'Mahony's St. John's Stamullen Wilkinstown

A lot of those defunct clubs are now part of amalgamations. Am I right in saying Flathouse were disbanded by the county board after getting into a load of massive brawls back in the 1980s?

Still amazed at how good a team Kilbride had in the 1960s and early 1970s for such a tiny place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

A lot of those defunct clubs are now part of amalgamations. Am I right in saying Flathouse were disbanded by the county board after getting into a load of massive brawls back in the 1980s?

Still amazed at how good a team Kilbride had in the 1960s and early 1970s for such a tiny place.

Ye the Flathouse were banned for a number of years after many fights but they reformed as St Pauls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I've seen a few cases where these "old" clubs were founded back in the 1890s/1900s, before disbanding or going out of action for years, if not decades. Then when they reform they still use the "original" founding date.

Rathkenny fielded in the 1st ever Meath football championship back in 1887,so could be the oldest. Kilmessan played that year too, and managed to win a few SFCs over the years. That said, Kilmessan were a bit of a catch all team for football in the early 20th century, they had the pick of all the footballers in south Meath. Considering their modern rivalry in hurling, strange that it was mostly Trim players who made up the Kilmessan team in the 1900s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

We'll probably never see the likes of Kilbride again with that kind of success in the modern championship, different ball game now. Clubs know they have to take advantage of their catchment areas, something the Flathouse/St. Pauls could work on.

• Advertisement

Just on the topic of old clubs, a couple of years back my dad asked me to get on the case as he heard St Pat's had won a hurling championship, not sure of the grade, a good while ago, and he wanted to find out was it ourselves. Anyway after a bit of digging I found out it was a kind of a regional club covering the Ratoath and Dunshaughlin area, first I'd heard of them.

On the Flathouse thing if anyone has the big book the Chronicle brought out for it's centenary all the articles of the time they were dissolved are in that. I know it's up in my parents, I'll try to find it I think they were involved in a game that ended up abandoned and the ref was attacked by their fans, and the county board basically suspended the club which forced it to fold.

Advertisement