Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

rpurfield wrote: »

On the Flathouse thing if anyone has the big book the Chronicle brought out for it's centenary all the articles of the time they were dissolved are in that. I know it's up in my parents, I'll try to find it I think they were involved in a game that ended up abandoned and the ref was attacked by their fans, and the county board basically suspended the club which forced it to fold.
    Ha, that's exactly where I remember reading about it. My auld fella played against them a few times and said they had some absolute psychopaths on the team. Lads who could hardly kick a ball but would kick lumps out of their marker.

With regards Skryne's near 80 year stint in Senior, have they ever even nearly been relegated? Can't remember them being involved in a relegation playoff recently anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Ha, that's exactly where I remember reading about it. My auld fella played against them a few times and said they had some absolute psychopaths on the team. Lads who could hardly kick a ball but would kick lumps out of their marker.

With regards Skryne's near 80 year stint in Senior, have they ever even nearly been relegated? Can't remember them being involved in a relegation playoff recently anyway.

Relegation is pretty new in the grand scheme of things though isn't it? Before that teams had to regrade, I don't remember them ever been in trouble, you nearly always expect them to be in the toss up to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Relegation is pretty new in the grand scheme of things though isn't it? Before that teams had to regrade, I don't remember them ever been in trouble, you nearly always expect them to be in the toss up to win it.

So if a team voluntarily as it were relegated themselves could they come back up voluntarily or did they only get back up if they won intermediate?

Lads someone did out a wikipedia article for the 1887 Meath senior championship. Interesting to see what teams fielded. Am I right 3 teams from what's now Rathkenny parish?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1887_Meath_Senior_Football_Championship

Hibbeler wrote: »
    So if a team voluntarily as it were relegated themselves could they come back up voluntarily or did they only get back up if they won intermediate?

No they'd to win to come back up a grade, clubs would do it if they were seriously out of their depth at any of the grades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Just on the topic of old clubs, a couple of years back my dad asked me to get on the case as he heard St Pat's had won a hurling championship, not sure of the grade, a good while ago, and he wanted to find out was it ourselves. Anyway after a bit of digging I found out it was a kind of a regional club covering the Ratoath and Dunshaughlin area, first I'd heard of them.

On the Flathouse thing if anyone has the big book the Chronicle brought out for it's centenary all the articles of the time they were dissolved are in that. I know it's up in my parents, I'll try to find it I think they were involved in a game that ended up abandoned and the ref was attacked by their fans, and the county board basically suspended the club which forced it to fold.

If my fading memory serves the ref attacked was Joey Tormey grandfather of the current senior panelist

Kiltale into another SHC final after beating Dunboyne 2-19 to 18 points. Other semi final between Kildalkey and Trim is tomorrow afternoon at 3.45pm.

Rathmolyon relegated to the IHC after losing their relegation playoff against Boardsmill 5-14 to 2-17.

Clann na nGael into the IHC final with a 2-10 to 11 points win over Drumree. They'll play either Na Fianna or Wolfe Tones in the final.

Kildalkey are JHC champions after beating Kilmessan 1-13 to 1-9.

Kildalkey through to the SHC final despite playing the second half with 14 men. They outscored Trim 1-5 to 2 points in the last 10 minutes to win by 1-21 to 1-13.

Wolfe Tones will play Clann na nGael in the IHC final after beating Na Fianna 4-19 to 3-21 after extra time in what sounded like a thriller.

Ratoath won what was hopefully their first of two titles in a week :pac: in winning the JHC2 championship beating Kiltale 15 points to 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

If my fading memory serves the ref attacked was Joey Tormey grandfather of the current senior panelist

Bates all!

Stephen Bray retires from intercounty football. Big loss. While he was pushing on a bit, he was still our best ball winner in the full forward line.

Thanks Stephen.

• Advertisement

Sad news, you feel he could have played on under Mick O'Dowd but partners, work and everything else make it more and more demanding as you grow older.

Thanks for the memories Stephen. A class act.

He'll be missed, as the man says he owes his county nothing. It's just a pity he was along during a pretty barren time for Meath football

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭paul71

Right up there with the very best we have ever had. Thanks for all the memories Stephen, sadly we lacked the players to support him in getting an all-ireland medal which his talent deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Great player for us, Bray is unlucky that he was around when just didn't have the players to compete for top honours because he was good enough to make our All-Ireland winning teams, all the best to him in his retirement, he owes us nothing

Can't really add any more to what's already been said other than it will be really hard to replace him!
    Thanks Stephen you owe us nothing

Massive weekend of football coming up.

Friday 2 October
    Teach na Teamhrach JFC semi-final
    Bective v Curraha 20.00 Simonstown

Saturday 3 October
    hoganstand.com SFC semi-final
    Na Fianna v Gaeil Colmcille 17.00 Pairc Tailteann

Teach na Teamhrach JFC semi-final
    Carnaross v Dunsany 19.30 Paddy O'Brien Park

Teach na Teamhrach JFC relegation play-off
    Boardsmill v Clonard 17.30 Trim

Seamus Connolly Catering JFC B final
    St.Vincents v Seneschalstown 15.30 Pairc Tailteann

Sunday 4 October
    hoganstand.com SFC semi-final
    O’Mahonys v St.Peters Dunboyne 14.00 Pairc Tailteann

Meade Potato Co IFC final
    Nobber v Ratoath 15.45 Pairc Tailteann

Apologies for this been miles off topic but does anyone know where the European Commission building is near dunsany/kiltale? It's agri related and all I can find over that direction is Teagsc but it has the same address! Maybe if ye do drop me a PM and then I'll delete this!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Apologies for this been miles off topic but does anyone know where the European Commission building is near dunsany/kiltale? It's agri related and all I can find over that direction is Teagsc but it has the same address! Maybe if ye do drop me a PM and then I'll delete this!

Just past Teagasc and Kiltale hurling pitch, on the Dublin Rd heading for Trim. Can't miss it really.

Back to the more important stuff! Curragha beat Bective by 3 after extra time in the junior semi final tonight. 2-15 to 2-11. Seems like it was a bit of a thriller.

Curraha definitely a team on the up. Can't see either Dunsany or Carnaross beating them in the final. Is the Junior final on the same day as the Senior final?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Will certainly be favorites against either of those in the final alright. Both finals on the 18th according to the fixture planner anyway, can't really see anything changing that.

• Advertisement

Dunsany make the JFC final with a 13 point to 1-9 win over Carnaross. Am I right in saying that Dunsany have never won an adult football title?

Na Fianna through to their second SFC final in 3 years with a surprisingly comfortable 1-19 to 12 point win over Gaeil Colmcille.

Seneschalstown beat St. Vincent's 14 points to 1-7 in the Junior B final to add to their Junior D title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Na Fianna were very impressive last night. Dalton McDonagh produced a performance at full-forward that was as good as any I've seen at club level. The Queeney's and Conor Downey were very good too. I actually thought Gaeil Colmcille played well but Na Fianna were so clinical in front of goal that Gaeil Colmcille could never get on terms. They have plenty of good youngsters. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the high standard of the game.

The junior semi-final between Dunsany and Carnaross was entertaining too. There was nothing in it and maybe Carnaross can feel unlucky not to have snatched a draw. Fair play to Ollie Murphy still going strong in the goals at 39 years of age. It'd have been nice to see him win a championship.

CQfPDYkW8AAtjos.jpg
    12068978_499198313577217_7410163705348742371_o.jpg

Get in!!!!!!

Congrats Hammer, a great day for Ratoath!! What will all the critics say about the lads on the Meath panel next year now :pac:

edit: Nice day yesterday for Seneschalstown winning the Fr Tully cup nice bit of symmetry there. Hard luck on Vincent's though with a former Pats player at the helm. Good day for us too winning the Division 2 B league, very unlucky not to do another double this year, lost to Seneschalstown in the Junior B quarters and drew with Vincents in the group stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Missed the Junior B Final yesterday but had a look at the programme, how many of those Seneschalstown players have 2 senior medals? A good few of them I reckon.

Have to say the second of the senior semi's was as good as the first, really impressed by the overall standard of the two games. O'Mahony's were as impressive as Na Fianna last night. Dunboyne are a decent side too with a class forward in Donal Lenihan. Apart from the usual big O'Mahony names, I thought Daragh Smyth and James O'Reilly really stood out in defence. Two seriously fit players.

Nobber didn't turn up in the intermediate final. Ratoath way ahead of the rest in the intermediate championship this year. No surprise really with the recent u21 successes. They could probably have another one or two push for the Meath panel if it wasn't already top heavy with Rotoath players, Gavin McGowan, Cian and Bobby O'Brien and Conor Rooney to name a few. I can see them following in the footsteps of recent intermediate winners like Na Fianna and Gaeil Colmcille and getting to the business end of the senior championship in the next few years.

Think we'll do OK at senior. We've got a young team who are only going to get better (the average age today was under 23). I've seen a few Senior games this year and haven't seen much to worry me.

Particularly poignant for me as today is two years since my auld lad, who was a lifetime Ratoath member, passed away. He would have been absolutely chuffed with that result.

When you consider that our u21 team under Sean Barry featured an all-Ratoath full-forward line, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that our senior team could feature an extra Ratoath man in that inside line. Someone will have to step into Stephen Bray's shoes after all. The obvious counter argument to that is that Sean Barry's u21 side were notorious under acheivers.

Anyway, Donal Lenihan, Barry Dardis, Seamus Mattimoe and even Jamie Queeney are all deserving of a run in that inside line, not to mention Shane O'Rourke who starred here under Colm Coyle when he first broke onto the scene.

Think we'll do OK at senior. We've got a young team who are only going to get better (the average age today was under 23). I've seen a few Senior games this year and haven't seen much to worry me.

Particularly poignant for me as today is two years since my auld lad, who was a lifetime Ratoath member, passed away. He would have been absolutely chuffed with that result.

Momentum and belief is a great thing, a team knocking on the door at inter level for a few years won't find the step up hard as the gap isn't huge. Add that to the fact that lads are buzzing from having a good year this year and I reckon ye will make the knock outs

Kiltale won their second SHC in a row with a relatively easy 2-15 to 12 point win over Kildalkey.
    The IHC final will go to a replay after Clann na nGael and Wolfe Tones drew 12 points to 1-9.

Just looking at the SHC Roll of Honour. Anyone know why Kilmessan gave a walkover to Trim in the 2000 final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Kiltale won their second SHC in a row with a relatively easy 2-15 to 12 point win over Kildalkey.
    The IHC final will go to a replay after Clann na nGael and Wolfe Tones drew 12 points to 1-9.

Just looking at the SHC Roll of Honour. Anyone know why Kilmessan gave a walkover to Trim in the 2000 final?

Paul Donnolly of Kilmessan was one of the counties main men and he either was getting married or injured and Kilmessan wanted the date moved and the county board refused.

Advertisement