Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Howye lads! 
    Dublin junior team, AFL8, looking for challenge match this weekend, Sunday if possible. 
    Game against equivalent standard would be great! 
    PM me if interested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ratoath 2-14 to 1 point up against Railyard of Kilkenny early in the second half. Not exactly the biggest challenge.

Finished 2-19 to 6 points. Surprisingly decent crowd up supporting Railyard. Slightly worrying is that Conor McGill still hasn't recovered from the injury he sustained in the Intermediate final.

Guaranteed to be a much tougher test in two weeks time at home to Castledermot of Kildare. The two teams have actually met before when Ratoath won in Athy by two points in the 2004 Leinster JFC semi final. The winners will play either Glynn Barntown of Wexford or Athlone in the final.

Moylagh were beaten by St Pats Tullow 3-9 to 1-8 in the Leinster Special JHC.

Supposedly floodlights in PT may not be ready in time for the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Are we surprised at this development? I am certainly not. In one sense I actually prefer Sunday games in the league as I generally can see the play better and I like games on a nice sunday afternoon. However, this county board are very money oriented (probably because of the financial situation they found themselves in).

Financial considerations seem to have dictated over others in respect of the reappointment of Mick O' Dowd and the co. Board seem to be waiting for a grant or maybe some compensation before getting these fixed. if they really were committed to getting this done it would have been done before nw.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what exactly the safety concerns were about the floodlights? Surely they would have had to have been inspected before they were put into operation. And surely whoever installed them would have to foot some of the cost of replacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Anyone know what exactly the safety concerns were about the floodlights? Surely they would have had to have been inspected before they were put into operation. And surely whoever installed them would have to foot some of the cost of replacing them.

I might be wrong but I think it's the foundations

We Meath fans certainly take our lives in our hands attending games in Navan. Over the last decade or so we've had asbestos in the roof of the stand, unsafe terraces behind the goals, the stand being a fire hazard, unsafe floodlights and not to mention the death trap steps in the stand :pac:

In other news, I've heard Conor McGill has a broken bone in his leg. Not sure how long he'll be out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Sorry to hear that, bad news for both club and county.

You would imagine that the earliest he would be back would be sometime in the league.

Certainly MOD couldnt be classed as a "lucky general".

dixiefly wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, bad news for both club and county.

You would imagine that the earliest he would be back would be sometime in the league.

Certainly MOD couldnt be classed as a "lucky general".
    Not sure to be honest. He has been walking unaided (though not able to put much weight on it) for the best part of a month so hopefully it's not too serious. Ratoath's defence looks a lot shakier without him in the team.
    If it is serious, with Reilly gone, Menton taking a break and McGill injured we'll have gone from having three choices for full back to having none.

• Advertisement

Curraha beat Cappincur of Offaly in the Leinster JFC by 13 points to 1-9.
    They'll play the winners of Grange (Carlow) and Barrowhouse (Laois) in the semi final.

NOM lead Killoe 1-3 to 4 points at half time. Ruairi O'Coilean got the goal.

NOM unsurprisingly lose to Killoe 11 points to 1-6. Sounded like yet another rotten performance from the Meath champions in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Has to be the worst period in Meath GAA history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

mattser wrote: »
    Has to be the worst period in Meath GAA history.

Not far off it, we need to have our county champions and the various underage grades doing well in Leinster to have any hope of the senior team doing well. Dark days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

We've never really had much success at club level though really. Meath clubs have won the Leinster championship 4 times from the 46 championships played, that's fewer times than Carlow clubs have. Even during the good years (broadly speaking, 1986 to 2001) We didn't have any clubs winning Leinster, and only had one Leinster club finalist.

I wont be losing sleep over club results really, look at all the good Crossmaglen's dominance has done Armagh over the years, even Roscommon and Antrim clubs have won the All Ireland without it really doing much for their inter county teams.

O'Byrne Cup draw has been made. In a group with Carlow, Laois and UCD. Away to Carlow on January 3rd, home to UCD on the 6th and home to Laois on the 10th. It'll be interesting to see where the UCD game will be played given the floodlights in Navan probably won't be ready. Ashbourne maybe?

I also am surprised to see us entering the Walsh Cup and are grouped with Carlow, Wexford and IT Carlow. All three games are at home on January 3rd, 10th and 17th. Hopefully two double headers with the footballers.

Meanwhile, looking way in the future our Leinster quarter final will be played in Navan (if against Carlow) or Parnell Park (if against Louth).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The O'Byrne cup seems very compressed. 3 games in 8 days, then if you don't progress you get no games for 3 weeks till the NFL starts.

I'd imagine we could only have 1 double header, the hurlers are at home for all 3 games from the looks of it, and only 1 date (the 10th) overlaps with the football.

have we ever played a championship match in Parnell Park before? That would surely be a first if it were to happen.

I'd imagine we could only have 1 double header, the hurlers are at home for all 3 games from the looks of it, and only 1 date (the 10th) overlaps with the football.
    Forgot we were away in our first O'Byrne Cup game. Wonder if it's a typo that we're at home for all three Walsh Cup games. Away to Carlow would be another chance of a double header for both counties.
    Can't remember any championship games in Parnell Park for as long as I've been going to games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I presume it's Parnell Park if we play Louth as the state of Drogheda rules out a home and away agreement.

Anyone have any idea I could find Meath's results from the 93/94 NFL campaign? I've been thinking about the first ever Meath game I remember attending as a young'un and I think it was against Fermanagh in Navan. I see we were in the same division that year so I think that was it. All I remember of the game was that we won and there were no goals.

I also remember attending a game against Dublin the following year (I think) which we also won. I was the only kid in my area of the stand not shouting for Dublin so I asked my auld fella if I could shout for Dublin. He said I could but I'd be walking home :o

Anyone care to share their first memory of a Meath game?

Stephen Bray was awarded Meath club Player of the Year.
    James McEntee was given Young Player of the Year.
    Curraha are club of the year.

Kiltale through to the Leinster IHC Final after beating Portlaoise 2-11 to 1-12. They'll play away to Kilkenny IHC champions Bennetsbridge in the final on November 28th.
    Ratoath are through to the Leinster IFC final after beating Castledermot of Kildare 3-13 to 1-6 in Seán Eiffe Park. They'll play Athlone in Mullingar in the final in two weeks time.

Curraha have won their third trophy of the year after beating Dunsany (again) by a point (again) in the Division 4 final. 10 points to 9 was the full time score. They're still in two championships with their U21s in the A final against Wolfe Tones and their adult team in the Leinster semi final.

U21 final will be between Donaghmore/Ashbourne and Skryne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Hopefully Ratoath and Kiltale can give Meath a good end to a horrible year.
    Presume Hammer Archer will be found in a ditch the next morning if Ratoath win :P

Doubtful if I'd even make it back from Mullingar if I'm honest :pac:

Floodlights in PT unlikely to be fixed in time for the league hence all our home fixtures will be Saturday afternoons. Might not be ready for obyrne cup where we've at least one midweek home game. Simonstown and Ashbourne would probably be most likely to fill in there

PT has gone beyond a joke at this stage. Some serious work needed

Only one Meath team in Leinster action this weekend. Curraha play Grange of Carlow in Páirc Tailteann tomorrow at 2pm.
    Before that game, the U21 football final between Donaghmore/Ashbourne and Skryne takes place.

The U21 hurling final between Kildalkey and Kiltale is today at 2pm in PT.

Kiltale easily defeated Kildalkey in the U21 hurling final 2-15 to 9 points.

According to Fergal Lynch on Twitter only teams in Group C in the SFC will face the threat of relegation from 2017. Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

When do senior club teams usually start training for the new gaelic season? and what way does the season run? Sorry kind of gave up the gaelic a few years ago and was considering going back to it!

Advertisement