Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Generally teams will start preseason in January. League competitions start in late January or early February.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Kiltale easily defeated Kildalkey in the U21 hurling final 2-15 to 9 points.

According to Fergal Lynch on Twitter only teams in Group C in the SFC will face the threat of relegation from 2017. Bizarre.

It seems to be a bit of an odd one alright. According to the online article it was a proposal from Drumconrath (always knew they were a bit mad up that neck of the woods!). It isn't clear however if this was the only proposal put forward from clubs or if this is one that the county board decided was the best to put forward for a vote.

I'm not too keen on the suggestion either way. All it seems to do is make a 12 team Senior 'A' championship, with half of the teams getting through to knockout stages anyway. Then a 6 team Senior 'B' championship with two of these teams still being allowed to qualify for the 'A' quarter finals.

So for the 12 'A' teams they still have 5 rounds to finish in the top 3 of their group, and if they do have a bad season they won't really be relegated at all! Can't see how this introduces any sort of extra competitiveness to the championship.

It's a bit of a weird one alright. Very confusing explanation of it on the Meath Chronicle article. Something does have to be done to up the competitiveness of the SFC because as it stands a team could conceivably lose 3 games yet still win the championship.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne are U21 champions after a 2-11 to 2-10 win over Skryne. The victors were 2-11 to 1-5 up with just 8 minutes to go but were clinging on at the end (though Skryne's goal came in the 3rd minute of injury time). Curraha up against Grange next. Hopefully a third Meath team in a Leinster final.

The 'Ha 9 points to 4 up at half time. Missed a penalty as well.
    They've also had a man sent off for the third game in a row. Why do they constantly seem to want to make life more difficult for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

16-9 result. Curraha in the final

• Advertisement

16-9 result. Curraha in the final
    Fair play to them. They'll play Killashee of Longford in the final. They really have to work on their discipline though if they want to progress further.

Dunboyne Junior ladies footballers are in the All Ireland final after beating Moycullen of Galway 2-19 to 2-7.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Not a bad evening for Meath players in the Colleges Division 1 finals last night. 2 hurlers on the IT Carlow team and 2 footballers involved with UCD.

Hurling Report

Football Report

I'll despair if McEntee is played as a corner back next season. He's proven beyond doubt that he's completely wasted there.

Meath GAA race day fundraiser is this Sunday in Fairyhouse.

Big day for Meath clubs tomorrow.
    In Nowlan Park, Kilkenny, Kiltale play Kilkenny IHC champions Bennetsbridge at 2pm. Kiltale lost last year's Leinster final to Kilkenny champions Mullinavat so they'll be looking to make amends here. However, Kilkenny champions have won the last four Leinster IHC championships so they'll definitely be up against it.

In Cusack Park Mullingar, Ratoath play the biggest game in their history as they face off against Athlone for Leinster IFC honours. While many Meath clubs have made the Leinster IFC final in the past (including Ballinlough just last year), only Wolfe Tones in 2004 have won it.
    This final will have special significance for Ratoath if they win as the Leinster IFC trophy is known as the Seán Eiffe Memorial Cup. Seán Eiffe was a Ratoath player and was killed in the line of duty as a Detective Gárda back in 2001, almost exactly 14 years ago.. Ratoath's new grounds were named Seán Eiffe Park in his memory. There'll be some celebrations if we pull it off, but Athlone are a very good side with a good few county players so it'll be nip and tuck the whole way.

Me poor heart!!!
    Ratoath win 2-13 to 2-9. We were 2-8 to 4 points up at half time after playing against a strong wind. In the second half, at one stage it was 2-9 to 1-9 before we kicked on only to concede a last minute goal straight from a free. That game will stand to us though. On to the All Ireland series where we face the daunting task of facing St. Mary's Cahirciveen in the semi final.

Commiserations to Kiltale who lost the Leinster IHC final to Bennetsbridge 1-14 to 13 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Me poor heart!!!
    Ratoath win 2-13 to 2-9. We were 2-8 to 4 points up at half time after playing against a strong wind. In the second half, at one stage it was 2-9 to 1-9 before we kicked on only to concede a last minute goal straight from a free. That game will stand to us though. On to the All Ireland series where we face the daunting task of facing St. Mary's Cahirciveen in the semi final.

Commiserations to Kiltale who lost the Leinster IHC final to Bennetsbridge 1-14 to 13 points.

Enjoy the celebrations. Great win.
    Hard luck to Kiltale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Well done to Ratoath, Hammer. Wouldn't it be just great to see them taking the cup named after Sean. Their performance so far has been an immense tribute alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Sorry about that, it's the Leinster named after Sean. Even better again now they've won it.
    Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Huge congrats to Ratoath, great victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

First intermediate Leinster title for a Meath club since 2004 Wolfe Tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

Overall much the better side today, well done ratoath. Second half was worrying there at times, playing with the wind and ten points up. Always felt ratoath had more in them going forward. Enjoyable game, enjoy the celebrations

Some year for Curraha. They added the U21A championship to their Junior A, Tailteann Cup and Division 4 titles on Saturday thanks to a 1-11 to 2-7 win over Wolfe Tones. And of course they're going for adult title number 5 on Sunday when they play St. Brigid's Killashee in the Leinster JFC final in Longford.

With regards to Ratoath, can't wait for the All Ireland semi final against St. Mary's. It'll be interesting to see how we fare as underdogs in a game for once. I'd expect Conor McGill to have returned by then so hopefully that will give the defence a bit more stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Some year for Curraha. They added the U21A championship to their Junior A, Tailteann Cup and Division 4 titles on Saturday thanks to a 1-11 to 2-7 win over Wolfe Tones. And of course they're going for adult title number 5 on Sunday when they play St. Brigid's Killashee in the Leinster JFC final in Longford.

With regards to Ratoath, can't wait for the All Ireland semi final against St. Mary's. It'll be
    interesting to see how we fare as underdogs in a game for once. I'd expect Conor McGill to have returned by then so hopefully that will give the defence a bit more stability.

When and where will this game be?

It'll be a neutral venue (probably Limerick or Thurles) on January 23rd or 24th. As a result, I can't see any Ratoath players being available for the O'Byrne Cup at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

It'll be a neutral venue (probably Limerick or Thurles) on January 23rd or 24th. As a result, I can't see any Ratoath players being available for the O'Byrne Cup at least.

It would be some achievement, lets hope. Do you think ye will go in as favourites for the senior next year hammer? Finally meath might have a club that does well since Dunshauglin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

risteard7 wrote: »
    It would be some achievement, lets hope. Do you think ye will go in as favourites for the senior next year hammer? Finally meath might have a club that does well since Dunshauglin.
    We'll probably be up there with the favourites but I'd have reservations about whether we'd be good enough just yet. Also add to that the fact that a good chunk of Ratoath's players will have been training pretty much without a break since November 2014. They must be knackered already.

Toss up between Giles and O'Connell for the best modern Meath player in my view. Some of the late 80s/early 90s players would have been slightly before my time. Went for O'Connell. Even though I only remember the last few years of his intercounty career, he was still a phenomenal defender despite being in his mid 30s. Think him missing the 1997 Leinster final was a big reason we were beaten by Offaly (though obviously not the only reason). 3 All Irelands, 6 Leinsters, 4 All Stars, 1 player of the Year award and a place on the Team of the Millennium is all that needs to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Colm O'Rourke is the best player I have seen playing for Meath. He was so intelligent on the field and while not the most prolific scorer, he got some gems though, his value to Meath was immense. In his younger days he was a brilliant play maker at centre forward or even going deeper before the knees gave him trouble.
    I found him a very good sportsman also.

I am surprised that Robbie O'Malley and John McDermott have so few votes. O'Malley would be rated by many as one of the great corner backs in any era,and McDermott was in my opinion as influential as Geraghty or Giles.

The attacking of O'Connell was good to watch in a very good side. but I would rate O'Malley, McDermott, Giles, Geraghty and Fay ahead of him.

The Football Review Committee is asking all those interested to complete a survey on how you would like to see Meath football club competitions ran.

Survey is available here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The idea of divisional teams is always thrown about as a solution to all our ills, and personally I just don't see it working, or at best it would have potential, but people would only see it short term and scrap it.

That said, I had too much time on my hands and like to imagine this type of thing so put together a list of possible teams. In order to have an objective division that cuts through any lies about bias or deliberately bunching strong teams together, I based it on the following map of 2008 electoral areas from the CSO small area populations maps (a brilliant resource may I add).

A0bAf7d.png?1

This gave 5 divisional teams. I based the teams on where a clubs pitch is based, so you might live in one division, but play for another. This wouldn't apply to too many people though. Including each junior B, junior and intermediate team for 2016 gave the following divisions:

Iar-Dheisceart: Trim, Boardsmill, Ballivor, Clonard, Ballinabrackey Longwood (6 clubs)

Oir-Dheisceart: St. Pauls, St. Vincents, Curraha, Dunsany, Kilbride (5 clubs)

Lár: Castletown, Dunderry, St. Ultans, Bective, Walterstown (5 clubs)

Oirthear: St. Colmcilles, Slane, Syddan, St. Mary's (4 clubs)

This left a huge 14 clubs in the northern division due to its massive area and large number of inter/junior/ junior B clubs. I split the north into 2 groups of 7 by a line running roughly north of Kells.

Iar-Thuaisceart:Clann na nGael, St. Brigids, Oldcastle, Moylagh, Cortown,Carnaross, Kilmainham.

Tuaisceart: Meath Hill, Kilmainhamwood, Nobber, Drumconrath, Drumbaragh, St.Michaels, Moynalty.

Not a lot between some divisions, maybe I'd shift a team or 2 to the Oirthear division. The 2 northern divisions have a numbers advantage, but have a fair few junior teams instead of intermediate. The Oir Dheisceart team in particular looks desperately poor due to the local teams like Ashbourne, Dunboyne, Blackhall Gaels etc. all being senior.

Even if you ignore the practicalities of organising effectively 6 new clubs without much of a tradition behind them, I see the divisions never happening for 1 big reason. If we suddenly entered 6 new teams into the SFC, I'd imagine 6 teams would have to be replaced, relegating 6 teams will never wash with senior clubs looking after themselves. Secondly, divisional teams can never get relegated, so on any given year the danger of a senior club going down is higher than it currently is.

As a result of this, I can see at least the 18 senior clubs, plus the top 8-10 intermediate teams who reckon they have what it takes to get up to senior to vote against any divisional proposal. They'd want to cling to senior status at any expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Good work on the divisional stuff there! I'm guessing you'd need divisional boards to run them too. I done the survey yesterday and what I'm coming round to thinking is 16 senior teams, four groups of four, keep the quarters and the bottom four play off for relegation, you're giving all teams 3 games minimum, 8 teams 4 games minimum with quarters, and the bottom four teams extra games too. All games would mean something as well.

Dunboyne ladies are All Ireland Junior champions after beating Bantry Blues 1-10 to 1-3 in Limerick today. Well done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Curraha won 3-10 to 1-11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Congratulations to both Ratoath and Curraha. Amazing success story for both these clubs and the hard work and dedication of kids and adults and in these parishes is really praiseworthy.

Now maybe the writers at Hogan Stand will stop referring to us as Dublin border clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Good work by both clubs bringing two Leinster cups back to the county.

Wonder what this means for players of both clubs regarding availability for the O'Bryne Cup and League?

If Micko is missing the Ratoath contingent for the first couple of league games, it would be a fair blow to Meath's chances of promotion, especially as we'll need a good start to the League. Probably also means he wont get an opportunity to look at a few other Ratoath players in the O'Byrne Cup.

Any word on a panel for 2016? Who's new in and who's out? I would hope there's not too much of a shake-up. I know a few fringe players will have to be dropped to make way for the usual one or two new faces but with key players like Bray and Reilly already calling it a day, you'd hope the rest of the panel from this year can remain pretty much intact.

Advertisement