Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

Meath (FL v Armagh) – P O'Rourke; D Keogan, C McGill, M Burke; D Smyth, P Harnan, C Finn; H Rooney, B Power; G Reilly, C O'Sullivan, A Tormey; B McMahon, M Newman, D Lenihan.

Surprised Alan Douglas didn't make the team as I thought he had a very good O'Byrne Cup campaign. Finn and Smyth make their league debuts. Brian Power at midfield is a novel choice though he has played there once or twice for Ratoath .

Has Eamonn Wallace withdrawn from panel? Heard that during the week

Well that was not pretty in Limerick. Ratoath just never showed up but St. Mary's are an absolutely amazing side. Would say they'd walk through the Meath SFC.

Hi Hammer. I see your a Rathoath man and you might be able to answer this question? Shane Clayton from Ballyboden in Dublin. Did he play his underage football with Rathoath. Heard that story a couple weeks ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Gael85 wrote: »
    Hi Hammer. I see your a Rathoath man and you might be able to answer this question? Shane Clayton from Ballyboden in Dublin. Did he play his underage football with Rathoath. Heard that story a couple weeks ago.
    He did indeed. Up until he was U15 or U16 if I remember correctly. Ballyboden eas one of his parents' club so he was eligible to transfer. Glen O'Reilly was the other of our ex players to win a Leinster minor championship with Dublin a few years ago.
    Didn't hear anything about Eamonn Wallace but I hope he hasn't dropped off the panel.

And it's "Ratoath" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ace of Hearts

Gael85 wrote: »
    Has Eamonn Wallace withdrawn from panel? Heard that during the week

I've heard whispers about Wallace as well but nothing concrete. I'd say we'll get confirmation tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Meath (FL v Armagh) – P O'Rourke; D Keogan, C McGill, M Burke; D Smyth, P Harnan, C Finn; H Rooney, B Power; G Reilly, C O'Sullivan, A Tormey; B McMahon, M Newman, D Lenihan.

Surprised Alan Douglas didn't make the team as I thought he had a very good O'Byrne Cup campaign. Finn and Smyth make their league debuts. Brian Power at midfield is a novel choice though he has played there once or twice for Ratoath .

Good balanced team overall, however I agree about Alan Douglas. He is strong and brave with good distribution. Maybe they thought that he wasn't tight enough, I dunno. Then again at least it shows that there is a bit of competition in the squad

• Advertisement

He did indeed. Up until he was U15 or U16 if I remember correctly. Ballyboden eas one of his parents' club so he was eligible to transfer. Glen O'Reilly was the other of our ex players to win a Leinster minor championship with Dublin a few years ago.
    Didn't hear anything about Eamonn Wallace but I hope he hasn't dropped off the panel.

And it's "Ratoath" :pac:

My bad on the spelling ☺. Glenn OReilly plays with Na Fianna and should on Dublin 21's this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Think we'll give the wind the man of the match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

iDave wrote: »
    Think we'll give the wind the man of the match

Where you at the game ? Did the wind play such a big part for Armagh not even registering a single score in the second half ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Good performance today under the circumstances, liked that we took no messing when things got messy in the second half. Keogan was magnificent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Where you at the game ? Did the wind play such a big part for Armagh not even registering a single score in the second half ?

I was. It's a bit tongue-in-cheek but Meath certainly got a boost from having it in their backs in the second. Armagh for me seemed to lose interest as soon as we went a couple of points up.
    Nevertheless happy with the win.
    Anyone know how long Biggie is out for?

• Advertisement

Armagh were awful. The only reason they were ahead at half time was we gifted them a few points. Never looked like losing in the second half.

Keogan did really well. As did Newman. Biggy seemed to be participating in the warm up so hopefully we'll see him next week. Think he would have made it more comfortable had he been available today.

Thought we made it difficult for ourselves but nonetheless, I'm delighted with the win. Armagh were very poor and rarely looked like scoring in the second half (which they didn't). Our discipline was very good when they were anywhere near the scoring zone so it's obviously something that has been worked on in training. Running out of superlatives to describe Keogan at this stage, immense as always. Looking forward to the Fermanagh game and if we win that, who knows what could happen? I really think we need to be more ruthless when we get ahead of teams. It was just a bit casual at times and I'd imagine the management were frustrated by the fact that we didn't kill them off completely. But like I said, it's a great start and hopefully we can continue to kick-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Bret Hart wrote: »

One kick for a point ended up behind the player that kicked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

SportsMad1 wrote: »
    I've heard whispers about Wallace as well but nothing concrete. I'd say we'll get confirmation tomorrow

anyone hear more on this? Really hope its not true...

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

snowgal wrote: »
    anyone hear more on this? Really hope its not true...

I'm fairly sure I saw him warming up yesterday.

I'm fairly sure I saw him warming up yesterday.

Yes, and he was named on the bench so it seems there was no truth to it at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

We looked a little sloppy in that first half plus, I'm not really sure what Brian Power is doing on the wing? I could see him doing a man-marking job at midfield alright similar to Menton's role in previous years but it doesn't make sense. I'd rather a natural attacker there. We used Kevin Reilly like this last year and I felt, again it was a waste. Is it just about getting lads' fitness levels up?

Harnan at 6 and O'Sullivan at 11 seems to work well and I wouldn't rule out starting Reilly at centrefield with this combination. It could be very dangerous. Hopefully in better conditions we'll see the corner forwards getting in on the scoring.

Good to see Eamon Wallace is back. Is Damian Carroll still around? Again, I presume Shane O'Rourke is being handled with kid's gloves at this time of the year but hopefully we'll see him soon.

We looked a little sloppy in that first half plus, I'm not really sure what Brian Power is doing on the wing? I could see him doing a man-marking job at midfield alright similar to Menton's role in previous years but it doesn't make sense. I'd rather a natural attacker there. We used Kevin Reilly like this last year and I felt, again it was a waste. Is it just about getting lads' fitness levels up?

Harnan at 6 and O'Sullivan at 11 seems to work well and I wouldn't rule out starting Reilly at centrefield with this combination. It could be very dangerous. Hopefully in better conditions we'll see the corner forwards getting in on the scoring.

Good to see Eamon Wallace is back. Is Damian Carroll still around? Again, I presume Shane O'Rourke is being handled with kid's gloves at this time of the year but hopefully we'll see him soon.

Meath (FL v Fermanagh):

1. Paddy O’Rourke (Skyrne)
    2. Donal Keogan (Rathkenny)
    3. Conor McGill (Ratoath)
    4. Mickey Burke (Longwood)
    5. Brian Power (Ratoath)
    6. Padraic Harnan (Moynalvey)
    7. Cathal Finn (St Peters Dunboyne)
    8. Harry Rooney (Skyrne)
    9. Andrew Tormey (Donaghmore Ashbourne)
    10. Graham Reilly (St Colmcilles)
    11. Cillian O'Sullivan (Moynalvey)
    12. James McEntee (Curraha)
    13. Sean Tobin (Simonstown Gaels)
    14. Michael Newman (Kilmainham)
    15. Donal Lenihan (St Peters Dunboyne)

Decent team named with Tobin starting and Biggy fit to play. McMahon will shine in the summer as he did against Westmeath but maybe these games don't suit the likes of himself and Wallace. Darragh Smyth is unlucky to miss out but it was probably going to happen sooner rather than later especially with Donnacha Tobin to return. If we can put together the same sort of performance as we did against Armagh, then we should be more than good enough to pick up the two points. Quigley and the two Corrigans need to be watched closely.

Green Tae; Carroll dropped himself off the panel apparently and Shane O'Rourke, like Gillespie, is unlikely to put on the Meath jersey this year due to injury.

Hopefully Biggy starts this time. Thought McMahon had a better game than Lenehan last weekend but Tobin definitely deserves to start. Very useful to have a left footed free taker.
    Always baffles me as to why there's a three week break after the first two rounds of the league. If we do win on Sunday, any momentum we've gained will be broken by round 3.

• Advertisement

I think Biggy hurt his nose in the O'Byrne Cup final but should be good to go now. Lenihan is a great ball winner but we just need to see more from him on the scoreboard. I'll admit that I'm not Seán Tobin's biggest fan but he impressed me the last day so he has earned this chance for himself.

The long break is frustrating for both players and supporters. Players will be the first to say that they'd rather play games every weekend meaning they'd have lighter sessions during the week but instead they'll go into a three week slog which won't be all that motivating especially in these poor weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Well it's a two weekend break, playing Cavan on the 28th. National hurling league is staring next weekend, so I suppose the GAA want a stand alone weekend for at least the first round of that, then I think it's Sigerson finals the weekend after that. Frustrating, but necessary to make room for everything.

Folks whats parking like up around Brewster? I've never actually been up before and I'm in two minds going because they kids have karate Sunday morning!

[/QUOTE] Green Tae; Carroll dropped himself off the panel apparently and Shane O'Rourke, like Gillespie, is unlikely to put on the Meath jersey this year due to injury.[/QUOTE]

Didn't realise O'Rourke was in rehab aswell. Very disappointing. I presume Davy Dalton is to come back aswell?

After watching the highlights of the Armagh game it seems Power was doing a job on their no.10 and stayed back, allowing Keogan to raid forward to great effect - shows what I know.

As regards Fermanagh, we're putting out a stronger team and if we score well we could even go top of the league. And, I can see the merits of fielding a left-footed free-taker to complement Newman in bad conditions. Onwards and upwards.

Forgot about Dalton. Has he been injured? He'd be a good addition to the half back line.

Never been in Enniskillen myself. But I can see traffic on the N3 being busy especially through Virginia. May be better to enjoy it in the warmth and comfort of home rpurfield :pac:

Forgot about Dalton. Has he been injured? He'd be a good addition to the half back line.

Never been in Enniskillen myself. But I can see traffic on the N3 being busy especially through Virginia. May be better to enjoy it in the warmth and comfort of home rpurfield :pac:

I'm going to venture up, I think I will lead the East Meath brigade up through Ardee and Clones and avoid the M/N3

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

It's a shame none of the Meath league games appear to be on Setanta this year. It would have been nice for someone like me who's abroad to be able to watch one or two. Perhaps it shows how much our stock has dropped in the last year or two in the eyes of some people

Just watched the Armagh v Laois game, Laois held on to win by a point but it's clear that Armagh weren't really up to much so I don't know how much we can take from the fact we beat them fairly comprehensively last week. Hopefully the lads can go to Brewster and pick up another win against Ulster opposition tomorrow. A win or defeat here will tell us if we can really challenge for promotion or if we will end up stuck in Div 2 for another year. I don't think we will be near relegation btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's probably less to do with our stock dropping and more to do with the fact we have no Saturday night games this year due to PT floodlights being out of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Disappointing loss today, felt this was won we could/should have/needed to win.
    Puts a lot of pressure on us going forward now especially with only 2 home games left, and one of them being Tyrone.

Playing with 14 men for such a long period and in those conditions was always going to be difficult so it looks as though we will need to win the next game to avoid any thoughts of relegation plus also trying to get a promotion run back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Disappointing loss today, felt this was won we could/should have/needed to win.
    Puts a lot of pressure on us going forward now especially with only 2 home games left, and one of them being Tyrone.

Playing with 14 men for such a long period and in those conditions was always going to be difficult so it looks as though we will need to win the next game to avoid any thoughts of relegation plus also trying to get a promotion run back on track.

Advertisement