Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Obrieski wrote: »
    Disappointing loss today, felt this was won we could/should have/needed to win.
    Puts a lot of pressure on us going forward now especially with only 2 home games left, and one of them being Tyrone.

Playing with 14 men for such a long period and in those conditions was always going to be difficult so it looks as though we will need to win the next game to avoid any thoughts of relegation plus also trying to get a promotion run back on track.

Promotion? Are you having a laugh?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

How bad was that pitch? It was an absolute joke. The ball just didn't bounce at all. The referee was just as bad.
    But it was the kind of away performance we're used to. Thought even with 14 men we were good enough to win. We went 6 - 5 up and then stopped playing.
    Looks like we'll be struggling to stay up going by today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

You can't go down to 14 men so early and expect to win a game like that. It's unfortunate for Andy Tormey. He has done extremely well to play these last 2 weeks.

Meath actually done well to lead the game in the second half given the numerical disadvantage. But the few frees and half-chances that we had weren't taken and when cheap frees were coughed up the other end, it was game over. The likes of Donal Keogan and Padraic Harnan gave it their all. The midfield situation has never looked so bad though.

I still think Meath under Micko are doing well and while promotion looks unlikely this evening, there's sure to be a few more twists in the division. All Meath can do now is concentrate on getting a win at home to Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Still fuming over that display, we've too many in the panel who go missing when you need to grind out a game. Even with 14 that game was there to be won, what was with the insistence of lumping the ball into Mickey Newman in the last 10 when he had two lads on him? Especially after Eamonn Wallace came on with fresh legs.

Agree on how bad the ref and pitch were, but neither of them were the cause of losing today to be honest. On the plus side I thought Harnan, McGill and Burke played well, it was just the front six that went missing in action

The lack of a consistent free taker is killing us. I think we missed 5 or 6 frees yesterday which would have won us the game. What baffled me was that Tobin stroked over a great 45 in the second half yet when he had a free from a similar position later on, he took it from his hands and missed by a mile.
    Also, surely there are more fit midfielders in the county than just Harry Rooney. Neither Tormey nor Biggy are good enough in the centre and we're getting roasted in every game in the centre.
    I've heard Brian McMahon has dropped himself off the panel. Not sure how true it is.

Club championship draws are tonight at 8pm and are live on LMFM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The lack of a consistent free taker is killing us. I think we missed 5 or 6 frees yesterday which would have won us the game. What baffled me was that Tobin stroked over a great 45 in the second half yet when he had a free from a similar position later on, he took it from his hands and missed by a mile.
    Also, surely there are more fit midfielders in the county than just Harry Rooney. Neither Tormey nor Biggy are good enough in the centre and we're getting roasted in every game in the centre.
    I've heard Brian McMahon has dropped himself off the panel. Not sure how true it is.

Club championship draws are tonight at 8pm and are live on LMFM.

Any time we get decent midfielders they seem to get scuttled with injuries. Flanagan, O'Rourke, Gillespie etc.

SFC
    Group A: Ballinlough, Gaeil Colmcille, Rathkenny, Seneschalstown, Skryne, Blackhall Gaels

Group B: St. Peter's Dunboyne, Duleek-Bellewstown, St. Patricks, Don/Ash, Summerhill, Ratoath

Group C: Simonstown Gaels, Wolfe Tones, Dunshaughlin, Na Fianna, Navan O'Mahony's

IFC
    Group A: St. Colmcille's, Syddan, Ballivor, Cortown, Nobber, Ballinabrackey

Group B: Castletown, Longwood, St. Ultan's, Trim, Walterstown, Oldcastle

Group C: Curraha, Dunderry, Kilmainham, Donaghmore/Ashbourne, Drumbaragh, St. Michael's

JFC
    Group A: Kilmainhamwood, Dunshaughlin, Dunsany, Seneschalstown, Meath Hill, Drumconrath

Group B: Clonard, Moylagh, Bective, Skryne, Summerhill, Simonstown Gaels

Group C: St. Brigid's, Navan O'Mahony's, Clann na nGael, St. Peter's Dunboyne, Wolfe Tones, Carnaross

JBFC
    Group A: Walterstown, St. Vincent's, St. Mary's, Moynalvey, Moynalty, Trim

Group B: Navan O'Mahony's, Donaghmore/Ashbourne, St. Peter's Dunboyne, Wolfe Tones, Slane, Nobber

Group C: Kilbride, St. Patrick's, Boardsmill, Dunderry, St. Paul's, Gaeil Colmcille

SHC
    Group A: Navan O'Mahony's, Kilmessan, Longwood, Killyon, Kildalkey, Trim

Group B: Kiltale, Dunderry, Blackhall Gaels, Clann na nGael, Boardsmill, St. Peter's Dunboyne

IHC
    Group A: Kilskyre/Moylagh, Drumree, Rathmolyon, Na Fianna, St. Patrick's, Kiltale

Group B: Kildalkey, St. Peter's Dunboyne, Ratoath, Wolfe Tones, Donaghmore/Ashbourne, Gaeil Colmcille

Any time we get decent midfielders they seem to get scuttled with injuries. Flanagan, O'Rourke, Gillespie etc.

I was given a great take on why all the big lads get these injuries, according to my father they didn't drink enough milk as young lads to they've brittle bones!!

SHC
    Group A: Navan O'Mahony's, Kilmessan, Longwood, Killyon, Kildalkey, Trim

Group B: Kiltale, Dunderry, Blackhall Gaels, Clann na nGael, Boardsmill, St. Peter's Dunboyne

IHC
    Group A: Kilskyre/Moylagh, Drumree, Rathmolyon, Na Fianna, St. Patrick's, Kiltale

Group B: Kildalkey, St. Peter's Dunboyne, Ratoath, Wolfe Tones, Donaghmore/Ashbourne, Gaeil Colmcille

2nd year in a row of 2 lopsided championship groups in senior hurling. 4 weak teams in the 2nd group, while 5 of the 6 teams in group A have been in the final in recent years (well, Navan have been in it too, but they've been very poor the last 2 years).

The SFC seems a bit lopsided as well. Group C is a nightmare, B ain't much better while Group A seems to be a fair bit easier.
    With regards to Group C, with three teams getting relegated this season, we're going to see a big, established side going down to Intermediate. Each team in that group would have had eyes on the knockout stages at least but one of them will be relegated by the Autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ace of Hearts

The SFC seems a bit lopsided as well. Group C is a nightmare, B ain't much better while Group A seems to be a fair bit easier.
    With regards to Group C, with three teams getting relegated this season, we're going to see a big, established side going down to Intermediate. Each team in that group would have had eyes on the knockout stages at least but one of them will be relegated by the Autumn.

I presume it's just the bottom team in each group that's being relegated? Pity that we'll lose one of those teams from Group C in that case. Group A is a favourable one indeed. I would've had 2/3 of those teams as serious relegation contenders but now, only one will drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

SportsMad1 wrote: »
    I presume it's just the bottom team in each group that's being relegated? Pity that we'll lose one of those teams from Group C in that case. Group A is a favourable one indeed. I would've had 2/3 of those teams as serious relegation contenders but now, only one will drop.

That would be unfair imo even though it is probably the only workable option. Unless the bottom 2 from each group went into some sort of a round robin as a once off this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Lads there's a good chance of a strong team or two being relegated from the intermediate even moreso. 5 teams to go down means the v bottom 2 in each group is in trouble. Group A for example has the last two finalists plus one of the favourites and another 1/2 teams that would reasonably expect to reach knockouts. A bad season for any would spell serious trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

7 teams get relegated from JFC this year. Do we know what the relegation format is? Bottom 2 from each group plus worst of the 3rd bottoms?

sheroman01 wrote: »
    7 teams get relegated from JFC this year. Do we know what the relegation format is? Bottom 2 from each group plus worst of the 3rd bottoms?

Maybe a three way play off between the 3rd bottoms to decide the 2 to go down? And a similar play off between the 2nd from bottom teams in the intermediate

Unfortunately until it's confirmed we can only speculate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I think doing this change in one year is a bit excessive considering the structure we have has been there for many years.

One small incident in one game could have serious consequences.

Why not implement over 2 years?

I see that there is a chance of the championship format change proposals being revisited. I just hope everything is iron clad and watertight before the start of the championship or else the county board risk leaving themselves open to challenges at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

dixiefly wrote: »
    I think doing this change in one year is a bit excessive considering the structure we have has been there for many years.

One small incident in one game could have serious consequences.

Why not implement over 2 years?

My thoughts on it too. 2 years is much better. Still getting the job done in an efficient manner and means 4 teams then 3 teams go down which isn't so drastic.

Only really paid attention to the Pats group in the SFC last night but group C is really strong, especially compared to group A. Doing the restructure in one season is madness anyway especially in the JFC, surely doing it over two or three would be more sensible.

Is there a way they could do the relegations based on performances over 3 years or something like that? Particularly in intermediate and junior where you're talking about 5 and 7 teams going down respectively.

I don't see relegating 3 senior teams in one year as that much of an issue other than what has happened where the unseeded draw has produced one particularly strong group.

Definitely this can work so long add it is crystal clear to everyone how it is going to happen. The county board need to make clear how any play offs will work. Remember it was a relegation play off controversy that got us into this mess in the first place

• Advertisement

Hard not to laugh that the structures brought in in order to make the championships more competitive and meaningful are now in danger of being rolled back because the clubs might find it too competitive.

As far as I can see, the same clubs would get relegated whether the relegations happened over 1, 2 or 5 years. It's those clubs that these plans were brought in for, to give them a kick up the arse.

Too many clubs tread water, winning 1 or 2 matches a year and finishing above relegation, it's those clubs that will either have to up the socks or will be going down whether the relegations happen in one year or not. Maybe doing it in one year is a bit of a drastic change, but it definitely simplifies things.

The "one unusually bad year and you're gone" reasoning doesnt really wash with me. If a club has an unusually great year and wins something, it's paraded as the beauty of sport and something great which we all love to see. Equally likely is a team having a bad year by it's normal standards and going down, but apparently this shouldn't happen ever.

Hard not to laugh that the structures brought in in order to make the championships more competitive and meaningful are now in danger of being rolled back because the clubs might find it too competitive.

As far as I can see, the same clubs would get relegated whether the relegations happened over 1, 2 or 5 years. It's those clubs that these plans were brought in for, to give them a kick up the arse.

Too many clubs tread water, winning 1 or 2 matches a year and finishing above relegation, it's those clubs that will either have to up the socks or will be going down whether the relegations happen in one year or not. Maybe doing it in one year is a bit of a drastic change, but it definitely simplifies things.

The "one unusually bad year and you're gone" reasoning doesnt really wash with me. If a club has an unusually great year and wins something, it's paraded as the beauty of sport and something great which we all love to see. Equally likely is a team having a bad year by it's normal standards and going down, but apparently this shouldn't happen ever.

I don't disagree, to be honest our club was one of the ones pushing this and we'll probably suffer for it because we haven't been great the last few years at all, but I looked at the SFC groups and potentially anyone in Group C could win the championship whereas there's a couple of teams in Group A that you might think would be candidates to go should the groups be spread out. I know it's the beauty of an open draw but given the amount of relegations to happen some form of seeding should've been used for this year.

rpurfield wrote: »
    I don't disagree, to be honest our club was one of the ones pushing this and we'll probably suffer for it because we haven't been great the last few years at all, but I looked at the SFC groups and potentially anyone in Group C could win the championship whereas there's a couple of teams in Group A that you might think would be candidates to go should the groups be spread out. I know it's the beauty of an open draw but given the amount of relegations to happen some form of seeding should've been used for this year.

I'm against seeding generally as a lot of the time it only exists to keep strong teams strong and weak teams weak. But at the same time don't like such lopsided groups as we've seen this year (same in hurling). Maybe a semi-seeded draw could do. The 3 "strongest" teams in 3 separate groups and the 3 "weakest" teams in 3 different groups too. Still leaves a lot of the variance of an open draw for the remaining 4 spots per group, but prevents too many clusters of similar teams.

I'm against seeding generally as a lot of the time it only exists to keep strong teams strong and weak teams weak. But at the same time don't like such lopsided groups as we've seen this year (same in hurling). Maybe a semi-seeded draw could do. The 3 "strongest" teams in 3 separate groups and the 3 "weakest" teams in 3 different groups too. Still leaves a lot of the variance of an open draw for the remaining 4 spots per group, but prevents too many clusters of similar teams.

Yeah I wouldn't be a fan myself but given the circumstances this year it should've been done. We're all talking about the SFC here it's only 3 teams down it will be chaos in the other grades and will skew them next year too when you have strong teams relegated. I totally agree with the end product that's planned, I just think how we are getting there leaves a lot to be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Congratulations to Andy McEntee's Ballyboden St. Enda's side who are now through to the All-Ireland final. There were lots of qualities displayed by the Dublin side that have to be admired, particularly their pressing and work-rate which was reminiscent of Boylan's teams.

The fact that they did it in extra time, a man down just demonstrates McEntee's motivational powers. I think we're looking at a future Meath manager here.

Good start for the hurlers in Division 2B, beating Wicklow 22 points to 13. You have to feel it's win or bust for us in 2B this year with our bogey side Kildare not in our way. We've reached the final in 3 of the last 4 seasons and lost each one.

Also good win for the minor footballers yesterday in the Leinster MFL, beating Offaly 2-10 to 1-5

Good start for the hurlers in Division 2B, beating Wicklow 22 points to 13. You have to feel it's win or bust for us in 2B this year with our bogey side Kildare not in our way. We've reached the final in 3 of the last 4 seasons and lost each one.

Also good win for the minor footballers yesterday in the Leinster MFL, beating Offaly 2-10 to 1-5

The hurlers have tortured me for years. You say Kildare are a bogey team but as far as I can see whenever we do beat them we find a new team to perish upon. Be it Wicklow or Down or London or Derry, some new team always pops up and gets ahead of us. We had the measure of Kildare for a year or 2 under Cillian Farrell, but still failed to reach a CR final.

One match that has always sickened me was 5 or 6 years ago, we lost by a point to Derry in the league. Had we won that match we'd have gotten to the league final, which would have been good in itself. More importantly though, the league was reshuffled the following year, and the cut off point for the new division 2A was set just beneath Derry.

Derry have spent the last few years in that division now getting a few pastings but also getting great results against the likes of Kerry, Westmeath and Carlow. Their championship performances have also improved hugely and I'm fully confident that's thanks to their higher league quality.

Of course it's all speculation on my part that we'd have managed that, and its equally (if not more) likely we'd have gotten relegated from 2A, but I'd rather be there if only for one season, than spend so long in 2B like we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

I'm not sure would I take issue with seeding looking at that draw. The senior championship looks like it could be brutally competitive this year, particularly Group B. It will be a baptism of fire for Ratoath.

One step forward, two steps back for the hurlers. 4 point loss at home to Mayo.

• Advertisement

One step forward, two steps back for the hurlers. 4 point loss at home to Mayo.

Like I said above, seems once we get one monkey off our backs we find a new one.

Advertisement