Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

If Meath are relegated I would make the change straight away (if he wants the job that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

dixiefly wrote: »
    If Meath are relegated I would make the change straight away (if he wants the job that is).

That's assuming that the CB would be able to put their pride aside...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Doubt he'd take the Meath job mid season to be honest, surely at this stage he's with Ballyboden till the winter now, unless they go all the way again. It was a massive achievement for him, they would probably only be third or fourth favourites to get out of Dublin this year despite that win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Delealli20

I came across an article recently written towards the end of 2012 around the time O'Dowd took over. It mentioned the reason McEntee didn't put his name forward for the senior job was that he hadn't enough time to put plans in place. This was after he had guided the minors to the All Ireland final. So by that same logic, we won't be seeing him back on the Meath touchline anytime soon. The ideal scenario for us would involve Ballyboden being knocked out early on in the Dublin championship this year, allowing McEntee plenty of time to put his pitch together for the CB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

And the hurlers succumb to an entirely predictable 6 point defeat away to Down. Only stay out of a relegation playoff thanks to the head to head record against Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Utterly brutal league from the hurlers this year. Can't see things getting any better for the Christy Ring, considering it'll have several better teams like Kildare and Antrim and we have managed to lose to 2 Nicky Rackard teams over the course of the league.

I can see us possibly getting involved in a relegation playoff depending on the draw in the CR Cup. Roscommon would be the only team this season I'd actually be confident of beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

I can see us possibly getting involved in a relegation playoff depending on the draw in the CR Cup. Roscommon would be the only team this season I'd actually be confident of beating.

Definitely has been a disaster of a year so far, but in previous years they have been a better championships team so I'm still clinging on to a little hope! Micky Burke started yesterday, and Douglas was an unused substitute so I wonder will we have them both for the duration of the Chrsity Ring? Could be a boost. We really are blessed with the draw too, Wicklow at home in the first round. We seem to have had the upper hand on them in recent years, so I hope this continues. A win in round one and we're safe anyway.

Where's the draw paul? I didn't see it but Wicklow would probably be the best draw we could get after Roscommon.
    Anyone know if Regan is seriously injured?

Can't believe I missed this last week, but condolences to the family and friends of Brian Smyth, the first man to captain Meath to All Ireland glory in 1949 and also was part of the team that won in 1954, who died last week.
    RIP

Regan broke his wrist about 3 weeks ago, so he might make the end of the Meath season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Where's the draw paul?

Draw is on the GAA website, http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/christy-ring/.
    First round on April 23rd, so still a bit of time to get injuries sorted I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Where's the draw paul? I didn't see it but Wicklow would probably be the best draw we could get after Roscommon.
    Anyone know if Regan is seriously injured?

Can't believe I missed this last week, but condolences to the family and friends of Brian Smyth, the first man to captain Meath to All Ireland glory in 1949 and also was part of the team that won in 1954, who died last week.
    RIP

A lovely man. I played against his son, the late Bernard, a good few times. May they R.I.P.

I see the new championship format has been scrapped two months after they were brought in :rollseyes:
    The vote to keep it as it is (brought by Slane) was passed 40-14. In January, the vote to change was passed by roughly 30 votes to 15-20 in various grades.
    It's completely baffling.

Looking at the cowardly, self serving U-turn on the championship proposals:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Delealli20

It says a lot about the smarts of the club delegates more than anything. Personally, I was in favour of the new format. Although it had some flaws, I thought it would bring a bit of an edge into the championships. Oh well..

Absolute farce of a U turn, I assume the 16 teams thing is now scrapped altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Paddy O'Brien has passed away. May he rest in peace

2 legends gone in a week

2-12 apiece in Derry. Derry equalised 5 minutes into added time. A win over Laois next weekend should ensure survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

At least it wasn't a defeat!

Sounds like the referee gave Derry all the time they needed to get an equaliser.

Laois beaten. Equal on points with Armagh. Very simple beat Laois we send them down. Have the better head to with Armagh so doesn't matter if we finish level with them.
    Now they actually have to go out and beat Laois. No reason too expect it to happen considering we've won one game in this campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

is the next game in Navan?

edit nevermind its in Laois,hopefully they can get the busines done there

First round of the football championships to be played the two weekends after next.

Friday 8 April

SFC
    Rathkenny v Seneschalstown Friday 8/4/16 20.00pm Group A Castletown
    Skryne v Blackhall Gaels Friday 8/4/16 20.00pm Group A Duleek

IFC
    St Colmcilles v Syddan Friday 8/4/16 20.00pm Group A Simonstown

Saturday 9 April

SFC
    Simonstown v Wolfe Tones Saturday 9/4/16 16.30pm Group C Pairc Tailteann
    Dunshaughlin v Na Fianna Saturday 9/4/16 18.00pm Group C Trim
    St Peters Dunboyne v Duleek/Bellewstown Saturday 9/4/16 18.00pm Group B Ratoath

IFC
    Ballivor v Cortown Saturday 9/4/16 18.00pm Group A Athboy
    Walterstown v Oldcastle Saturday 9/4/16 18.00pm Group B Kilmainham
    Curraha v Dunderry Saturday 9/4/16 16.30pm Group C Summerhill

JFC
    Wolfe Tones v Carnaross Saturday 9/4/16 18.00pm Group C Pairc Tailteann
    Clonard v Moylagh Saturday 9/4/16 16.30pm Group B Athboy
    Dunsany v Seneschalstown Saturday 9/4/16 16.30pm Group A Ratoath
    Bective v Skryne Saturday 9/4/16 18.00pm Group B Slane

JFC B
    Boardsmill v Dunderry Saturday 9/4/16 18.00pm Group C Summerhill

Sunday 10 April

SFC
    Ballinlough v Gaeil Colmcille Sunday 10/4/16 16.00pm Group A Pairc Tailteann
    Navan O'Mahonys v Moynalvey Sunday 10/4/16 16.00pm Group C Trim
    Summerhill v Ratoath Sunday 10/4/16 16.30pm Group B Dunshaughlin

IFC
    Castletown v Longwood Sunday 10/4/16 14.30pm Group B Pairc Tailteann
    St Ultans v Trim Sunday 10/4/16 12noon Group B Kilmainham

JFC
    St Brigids v Navan O'Mahonys Sunday 10/4/16 17.30pm Group C Trim
    Kilmainhamwood v Dunshaughlin Sunday 10/4/16 12noon Group A Kilberry
    Summerhill v Simonstown Gaels Sunday 10/4/16 18.00pm Group B Dunshaughlin
    Clann na nGael v St Peters Dunboyne Sunday 10/4/16 14.00pm Group C Summerhill

JFC B
    Moynalty v Trim Sunday 10/4/16 13.30pm Group A Kilmainham

Saturday 16 April

SFC
    St Patricks v Donaghmore/Ashbourne Saturday 16/4/16 17.00pm Group B Seneschalstown

IFC
    Drumbaragh v St Michaels Saturday 16/4/16 18.30pm Group C Pairc Tailteann

JFC
    Meath Hill v Drumconrath Saturday 16/4/16 17.00pm Group A Pairc Tailteann

JFC B
    Kilbride v St Patricks Saturday 16/4/16 18.30pm Group C Seneschalstown
    St Pauls v Gaeil Colmcille Saturday 16/4/16 18.00pm Group C Bective

JFC D
    Moynalty v Curraha Saturday 16/4/16 18.30pm Group D Rathkenny

Sunday 17 April

IFC
    Nobber v Ballinabrackey Sunday 17/4/16 14.30pm Group A Pairc Tailteann
    Kilmainham v Donaghmore/Ashbourne Sunday 17/4/16 12noon Group C Walterstown

JFC B
    Slane v Nobber Sunday 17/4/16 16.00pm Group B Pairc Tailteann
    Navan O'Mahonys v Donaghmore/Ashbourne Sunday 17/4/16 13.30pm Group B Walterstown
    Walterstown v St Vincents Sunday 17/4/16 18.00pm Group A Curraha
    St Marys v Moynalvey Sunday 17/4/16 12noon Group A Skryne
    St Peters Dunboyne v St Colmcilles Sunday 17/4/16 12noon Group B Kilbride

JFC C
    Rathkenny v Kilmainhamwood Sunday 17/4/16 12noon Group A Carlanstown
    Seneschalstown v Syddan Sunday 17/4/16 12noon Group A Castletown
    Clann na Gael v Na Fianna Sunday 17/4/16 13.30pm Group A Kildalkey
    Blackhall Gaels v Oldcastle Sunday 17/4/16 13.30pm Group B Dunderry
    St Ultans v Dunsany Sunday 17/4/16 12noon Group C Athboy
    Cortown v Duleek/Bellewstown Sunday 17/4/16 12noon Group C Slane

JFC D
    Seneschalstown v Kilmainham Sunday 17/4/16 13.30pm Group B Castletown
    Wolfe Tones v Clonard Sunday 17/4/16 12noon Group B Kildalkey
    Drumbaragh v Longwood Sunday 17/4/16 12noon Group C Dunderry
    Carnaross v St Ultans Sunday 17/4/16 13.30pm Group A Athboy

So that's what coming back from behind and winning feels like. Had forgotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

iDave wrote: »
    So that's what coming back from behind and winning feels like. Had forgotten!

Well in my opinion, at 15 v 15, a win was very debatable, but that doesn't matter now, a win is a win .

A funny league campaign this year. I think had we shown up against Fermanagh the league would have taken on a whole other complexion. We'd have had 4 early points on the board and could look to pushing on without needing to be too desperate looking for points.

As it happened we lost an ugly game in Enniskillen, then fell apart vs Cavan. If you drew a line after the Cavan match I think we were pretty good from then on. A draw vs. Galway, an unexpected draw against Derry, a win in Portlaoise and losing by 5 points to Tyrone isn't the worst series of results.

I was confident of the win today after we drew with Derry. I always asserted we'd get a pair of the same results in our last 2 games, either 2 losses or 2 wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

If you drew a line after the Cavan match I think we were pretty good from then on. A draw vs. Galway, an unexpected draw against Derry, a win in Portlaoise and losing by 5 points to Tyrone isn't the worst series of results

Really?, Galway we were cruising, fell apart and couldnt see out the win, Derry, very good performance, but couldnt see out the win, the defeat by Tyrone despite been by only 5 points, could have been by a good bit more, they were never threatened by us, and while i expected us to beat Laois, as they were rock bottom, the game was very even and only changed on them going down to 14 men.

We could easily have ended up in Div.3, Big improvement all round needed for the championship

I think the Galway match was the only one we really threw away, and even then we fought back well for a draw. We were strong vs. Derry, but I would still regard it as a point gained rather than lost. Bear in mind those games were also away, and in recent years we've had an utterly appalling away record in the league, we've only won maybe 7 or 8 away games since 2010, and 3 of those were in division 3.

Not to say it was a successful league, but while we obviously need to improve a lot in order to put Louth away and make any proper go of a Leinster semi final, it's not all doom and gloom.

Decent enough recovery after a horrible start. Still worrying how many goal chances we gave away. McHugh made two good saves and another was cleared off the line. Also missed a hell of a lot of chances before we started to pull away towards the end. Feel we would have won anyway even without the red card.

Biggy did quite well as did Mickey Burke. Worrying looking injury for Tobin.
    We may squeak by Louth in the championship but that's where it ends for us. I'd see Dublin beating us by more than they did 2 years ago at this stage. We are lightyears behind even getting close to the top teams.

Missed yesterday as I was away, I take it the sending off had a bearing on the result. Don't want to sound like a broken record but Cavan and Roscommon are really underlining how important winning underage teams are. If they can do it so can we.

• Advertisement

Red card obviously had an impact but we were on top at that point and I feel we would have won regardless.
    There just doesn't seem to be the forward planning in Meath to get proper underage structures in place. Barring the odd decent minor team every 5 years or so, we just produce mediocre underage teams.

One of the problems I feel one of the problems is that playing football for Meath simply isn't an attractive prospect in any sense. A relative was involved with one of the U15 and U16 development squads recently as well as being a talented soccer player. With his soccer team, he got training trips to the UK and Europe. With the Meath Dev. Squad he got a trip to Bettystown and they didn't even get to keep their jersey at the end of it. Similar stories with team mates who also did rugby, athletics etc. A good chunk of these players will almost certainly choose to focus on their other sports once they hit adulthood. And I honestly can't blame them.

Advertisement