Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

rpurfield wrote:
    Anyone on here refereeing or know a referee in the county? I was talking to a friend who done the course in Dublin, as he's a Dub, and he was saying they'd to shell out for the kit themselves at the end of it. Just wondering if that's the case in Meath. I used to referee but gave up when I changed jobs as it didn't suit, but as far as I recall we were given the kits when we passed the course.

My friend now living in meath completed the first stage of his training to be a ref a couple of months ago in meath. He took control of his first game a couple of weeks ago and had to buy all the gear himself, he just bought black shorts socks and a top there was no set uniform so he shopped around, picked it up cheap enough in the O'Neils shop on the longmile road

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hurlers are through to the semi finals of the Christy Ring Cup after beating London in Ruislip 2-17 to 1-16. Phenomenal result! Just awaiting the two steps backward now.

Also, congratulations to the Meath camogie team on winning promotion to division 1 of the league by beating Galway in the division 2 final by 1-10 to 2-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Stoner wrote: »
    My friend now living in meath completed the first stage of his training to be a ref a couple of months ago in meath. He took control of his first game a couple of weeks ago and had to buy all the gear himself, he just bought black shorts socks and a top there was no set uniform so he shopped around, picked it up cheap enough in the O'Neils shop on the longmile road

What's the problem with buying the referee gear?
    Sure you get paid for refereeing a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

What's the problem with buying the referee gear? Sure you get paid for refereeing a match.
    The guy I quoted asked if refs had to buy their own gear in meath , I gave a recent example where my friend in meath bought his gear and it didn't cost much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Down or Kildare in the CR semi. Winnable but we've been in this exact situation before with both teams. It would be typical the year we make a final is the year Antrim are in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

We've had a terrible habit in recent years of a spectacular win or 2 followed by an abject performance afterwards.

In 2012 we beat eventual CR winners London in the first round, before losing badly to Down in the 2nd, we followed that with our first ever CR win over Kildare, but then got easily beaten by Wicklow in the semi final.

2013 first round, we beat a soon to be relegated Armagh team unconvincingly in Trim, then played 2 brilliant games vs. Kildare and Down, winning in Newbridge AET and drawing AET with Down in Trim. For the replay in the back arse of nowhere, Co. Down, Meath just never showed up and were easily disposed of.

2014, First round we dominated against Down in Trim, then needed an injury time free to beat Mayo in the 2nd round, but never got going vs. Kildare in the semi final in Trim and lost badly.

We struggle to build up momentum in the CR, hopefully we can get a result and reach our first final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

What's the problem with buying the referee gear?
    Sure you get paid for refereeing a match.
    Stoner wrote: »
    The guy I quoted asked if refs had to buy their own gear in meath , I gave a recent example where my friend in meath bought his gear and it didn't cost much

I was just suprised as I didn't have to when I was refereeing a few years back. I'm not really bothered either ways but saying sure you get paid is a bit blasé to be honest, you wouldn't be troubling your bank manager with what you get, especially when you count time spent at the course and refreshers etc, not to mention the stick you can get, more so at underage games I found because little Johnny can do no wrong, but that's another days work.

Another Christy Ring semi final against Kildare. Should be in Trim on May 21st. Let's hope that it's fourth time lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Surely we are due a semi final victory soon anyway! Although after the league campaign that we had it would be the most unexpected of years for it to happen.

Since the 2009 Nicky Rackard cup win, we've gotten to at least the quarter final each year. Plus a semi final defeat to Kildare in 2007 also.

2015: Quarter final defeat to Kildare: 2-18 - 3-23
    2014: Semi final defeat to Kildare: 0-14 - 1-18
    2013: Semi final replay defeat to Down: 0-23 - 1-10
    2012: Semi final defeat to Wicklow: 3-17 - 2-12
    2011: Quarter Final defeat to Down: 1-18 - 1-7
    2010: Quarter Final defeat to Wicklow: 3-13 - 1-18

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

https://twitter.com/MeathGAA/status/730401080580952064

Thought we would have a home semi-final, not really sure how it works. Second year in a row Kildare have come through the 'back-door' route and still ended up with a home semi.
    Oh well, at least it's not a trip to Ballycran!

• Advertisement

So what exactly is the advantage of winning each of our games if we get an away semi final? :confused:

Louth in Parnell Park on June 12th it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Conor Mcgill broke his collarbone

risteard7 wrote: »
    Conor Mcgill broke his collarbone

Is that confirmed? I only read an article there saying he needed a proper assesment, though I'd imagine a broken collarbone is obvious enough.

Team to face Dublin in the MFC has been named:

Meath (MFC v Dublin): Adam McDermott; Robbie Clarke, Conor Harnan, Brian O'Reilly; James Cassidy, Eanna O'Kelly Lynch, Sean Reilly; Daragh Campion, Ethan Devine; Niall Murphy, Cian O'Reilly, Eoin Smith; James Conlon, Frank O'Reilly, Jason Scully.

Junior footballers bowed out of the JFC championship at the first hurdle to Kildare. The team included the likes of Damien Carroll, Chris O'Connor, Paddy Gillespie and Daire Rowe.

Great win for the minors

Holy crap!!!!! :eek::eek:

When was the last time we beat Dublin at any level from minor up? 2010 massacre?

When was the last time we beat Dublin at any level from minor up? 2010 massacre?

I think so because I was thinking exactly the same. Cracking result, from what I've read it never seemed in doubt either. Hopefully they can go on and win something now, there's a bad need to get the winning habit back around Meath football

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

This is the best I've felt since 2010.

• Advertisement

OK hopefully the hurlers can add to the feel good factor today.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

The minor team that beat them in '08 beat them at U21 three years later in Navan before losing to Longford the next day out

Hurlers 1-10 to 11 points up at half time. Kildare down to 14.

One up with a couple to go. Don't fcuk it up lads!!!!

1-21 to 21 points it finishes and we're into our first ever Christy Ring Cup final!
    Great weekend for Meath GAA!

Great stuff great weekend.

A new hurling power arising in the ancient east.

Thought it was the footballers playing when the 6 point lead was getting chipped into but great resiliaince was shown.

Clynch and Togher as good as any Meath GAA servant around right now.

Would have to be Antrim though.

Antrim certainly are beatable. Nowhere near as good as they were but obviously will be hot favourites.
    Gavin McGowan has had some first season with the senior hurlers. Think that's 4-6 in 3 games.

Minor footballers will play Kildare in Navan in the Leinster semi final on July 6th.

Great weekend for the county, I'd imagine two tough outings now for the hurlers and minors, Kildare fairly trimmed Westmeath in the minor yeaterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

rpurfield wrote: »
    Great weekend for the county, I'd imagine two tough outings now for the hurlers and minors, Kildare fairly trimmed Westmeath in the minor yeaterday.

True, but we trimmed Dublin! July 6th is an awful long wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Brilliant win in Newbridge today. In other years we fell flat in semi finals, but it was never in doubt today (obviously the sending off helped). Great to finally get to the CR final.

It's a bit sickening that in any other year, beating Wicklow, then London away and Kildare away would have been more than enough to have the Christy Ring in the bag. Unfortunately our biggest test is yet to come. Antrim are just a step above this level. I know people will say they haven't been impressive lately, but that seems to nearly make them more ominous.

They're winning matches despite playing badly, against teams throwing their full efforts into it. In their last 2 games Antrim have been losing at half time but utterly dominated the second half (they scored 1-17 against Down in the second half alone). Meath are capable of dong it, but we need them to really put in the performance of their lives to win.

Advertisement