Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I know we've got home advantage for the MFC semi final, but does it seem a bit unfair for both ourselves and Kildare that both teams won both games so far and play in one semi, yet Laois and Offaly lost their first games and play each other in the other semi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I know we've got home advantage for the MFC semi final, but does it seem a bit unfair for both ourselves and Kildare that both teams won both games so far and play in one semi, yet Laois and Offaly lost their first games and play each other in the other semi?

It's an unfair system. Laois or Offaly could potentially lose twice and still be in an All Ireland 1/4 Final. Meath or Kildare could lose once and they're out completely.

Wexford had one farce of a match against Kilkenny and then are eliminated by a team who have already lost a game but are afforded a second chance to rebuild in the backdoor. You're nearly better off losing your first game in the Leinster minor championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

risteard7 wrote: »
    True, but we trimmed Dublin! July 6th is an awful long wait.

Pesky exams getting in the way, you can repeat the leaving but you can't repeat the minor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I see Kildare are in the Leinster U21 HC proper this year. In 2013 Meath beat Kildare at minor level by 10 points in Newbridge on the way to the AI Minor B final, yet 3 years later we're in the grade below?

I know we'd probably have gotten a trouncing like they did tonight, but I'm curious to know how these grades work.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

I see Kildare are in the Leinster U21 HC proper this year. In 2013 Meath beat Kildare at minor level by 10 points in Newbridge on the way to the AI Minor B final, yet 3 years later we're in the grade below?

I know we'd probably have gotten a trouncing like they did tonight, but I'm curious to know how these grades work.

I'm not sure how it works either, as Kildare are also in the U21 B later this summer according to the GAA website. Possibly teams can just apply to enter if they feel they are up to standard?

That Meath Minor team in 2013 beat Westmeath by 4 points in the Leinster Championship that year, that same Westmeath team that beat Kilkenny in U21 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

paul0103 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how it works either, as Kildare are also in the U21 B later this summer according to the GAA website. Possibly teams can just apply to enter if they feel they are up to standard?

That Meath Minor team in 2013 beat Westmeath by 4 points in the Leinster Championship that year, that same Westmeath team that beat Kilkenny in U21 tonight.

Kildare had won 3 U21B Leinster titles in a row up until a few years ago and were accepted into the U21A on the back of those wins. This would be the first year we had a much weaker minor team stepping up and this was shown tonight. We've better U16 and U17 teams coming through this year so I hope we are allowed to stay in the underage A championships when that crop is coming through.

I like the way the All Ireland series is a separate competition now, http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/gaa-hurling-all-ireland-u21b-championship/ (it's also good that it has a spot for the U21C winners in the B competition of the same year...take note Christy Ring/Liam McCarthy!).

In saying that the Leisnter B (or "A" as they used to call it) was also a good competition, and allowed teams a route into the Leinster Q/F. But I suppose it's hard to have everything.

Meath also have some nice U15/U16 teams coming up, it would be great in the next few years if Meath/Kildare/Westmeath/Carlow were all competitive at minor and U21 level. I think last night's result for Westmeath will also give these teams great confidence, any Meath hurling team never took to the filed fearing Westmeath anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭paul71

For those of you who don't watch laoismans ranking threads, which I find to be extremely accurate, it is interesting to note we are currently ranked 15th in football and 17th in hurling. I am wondering if it is possible with a CR cup win that hurlers could overtake footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Back to the football..

So, how come the Leitrim jersey is like, way nicer than the Meath one?

And I mean waaaay nicer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

You can direct your complaints to O'Neills.

Back to the hurling. Looks like it'll be Hogan Stand only. Shame Meath fans aren't getting behind this more. Our proximity to Dublin should encourage more to go and the state of the footballers should be an extra incentive to support Meath in a Croke Park final.

• Advertisement

iDave wrote: »
    You can direct your complaints to O'Neills.

Back to the hurling. Looks like it'll be Hogan Stand only. Shame Meath fans aren't getting behind this more. Our proximity to Dublin should encourage more to go and the state of the footballers should be an extra incentive to support Meath in a Croke Park final.

I'm not sure, but I'm expecting a relatively big Meath crowd there on Saturday, certainly should be the best supported of the 6 teams playing that day. I've been talking to quite a few people who wouldn't usually travel to the hurling games and they seem to be going. The support in Newbridge probably outnumbered the Kildare support, in saying that the overall crowd wasn't huge.

I remember when we played Offaly in the qualifiers in 2002 in Pairc Tailteann, and really gave them a scare. The crowd in Navan that evening was something that would rival a football game, best I've ever seen support the hurlers. It would be great if we could someday get back to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I'm not sure, but I'm expecting a relatively big Meath crowd there on Saturday, certainly should be the best supported of the 6 teams playing that day. I've been talking to quite a few people who wouldn't usually travel to the hurling games and they seem to be going. The support in Newbridge probably outnumbered the Kildare support, in saying that the overall
    I remember when we played Offaly in the qualifiers in 2002 in Pairc Tailteann, and really gave them a scare. The crowd in Navan that evening was something that would rival a football game, best I've ever seen support the hurlers. It would be great if we could someday get back to that level.

Hate to say it but Antrim will win by 10+

risteard7 wrote: »
    Hate to say it but Antrim will win by 10+

Well that's that so, cancel everything, might not even be too late to squeeze a round of club football games in Saturday instead!

You'd wonder if these tournaments have been good for Meath hurling and hurling in general then. It's taken big home games against hurling powers and the chance to scare or upset them.

I also remember us giving Offaly something to think about in 98 in Croke Park as a double header with the footballers of both counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

iDave wrote: »
    You'd wonder if these tournaments have been good for Meath hurling and hurling in general then. It's taken big home games against hurling powers and the chance to scare or upset them.

I also remember us giving Offaly something to think about in 98 in Croke Park as a double header with the footballers of both counties.

I remember that game in 1998, though I was young enough. Unfortunately I also remember we lost by over 30 points that day, Meath certainly did not give them anything to think about.

Maybe it's 1996 you're thinking about, where we lost to Offaly by 6 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Well that's that so, cancel everything, might not even be too late to squeeze a round of club football games in Saturday instead!

Ok so Meath by 10 then. Lets be deluded

Of course i want meath to win but you have to be realistic.

I don't think anyone is being deluded, everybody knows Meath are outsiders. But have you seen any of the games so far? Meath were underdogs against both London and Kildare, and were very impressive in both games. I think it's more delusional stating definitively that a team in a final will by at least ten points.

Anyway, I do think it will be very tough for Meath, but I'm expecting a really big performance from them, and won't be at all surprised if they sneak it. Gavin McGowans first 20 minutes against Kildare were phenomenal, and with the space Croke Park compared to Newbridge I can see him doing that again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Team named for tomorrow:

Meath (v Antrim): Shane McGann; Sean Geraghty, David Donoghue, Ronan Sherlock; Shane Brennan, Damian Healy, Keith Keoghan; Sean Heavey, Stephen Morris; James Toher, Joey Keena, Adam Gannon; Gavin McGowan, Neil Heffernan, Stephen Clynch.

Hopefully there's a relatively large turnout. May very well be the only time we get to see a Meath team in Croker this season.

Today's the big day. Best of luck to the lads

Hon the Royals!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

hope ye get the job done today , can remember meath being very competitive in the league in the late 90's early 00's but understandably ye were also very strong at football which stalled development , if i remember at that time ye probably were ahead of dublin in the leinster pecking order at times

with weastmeath and laois starting to become more competitive it would be greatt to see ye back in the top tier next year ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Epic epic win! What a game what a win

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Massive congrats lads on a savage win,

Ye gave us a huge game of it last year down in Tralee and on another day could have won,

Delighted that ye have come through this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done lads great comeback fantastic win

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I've tears in my eyes, unreal stuff, so proud of them. Enjoy the party lads

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Terrific performance by the lads, fair play to the supporters who travelled up, great atmosphere, its been a while since i left here a happy man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Outstanding comeback, congratulations guys, and enjoy McCarthy Cup hurling!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Watched the hurling online, some comeback. Clearly a great attitude in that team only lead when it counted great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Get in!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Congrats to all concerned. Reminded me of the footballers guts in the 80's and 90's ( not having a cheap go at present lads ). Coming so soon after the minor footballers beating the dubs, grand feeling in the county at present.
    Isn't it a beautiful evening out. :D:D

• Advertisement

Amazing stuff looked dead and buried but kept at it.
    The small crowd produced a great atmosphere at the end. Fun chanting COYBIG again been too long.
    Bring on Leinster in 2017

Advertisement