Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Congratulations to Meath.

A special word of appreciation to Sean Boylan who was a great supporter of Meath Hurling from the beginning of his career.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Well done Meath! Fantastic result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Smash and grab!

A great night in store in Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

risteard7 wrote: »
    Hate to say it but Antrim will win by 10+

Oops!

Hurling eh! What a sport.

Meath players and fans (who turned up) did themselves proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

OK talk of it actually being a draw.

The scoreboard operator was having a mare. Originally put the Dublin logo up for us and took a while for some Antrim scores to get recorded. Assumed it was sorted by the end.

2010 all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

iDave wrote: »

The scoreboard operator was having a mare. Originally put the Dublin logo up for us and took a while for some Antrim scores to get recorded. Assumed it was sorted by the end.

2010 all over again.

any louth supporters acting suspiciously after the first game did ye notice? anyway if the ref has it down as a draw it dosent matter what the scoreboard says

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Brilliant!

Congrats from this hurling Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

iDave wrote: »

2010 all over again.

It seems that Antrim are going to get a copy of the game and go through it before deciding to appeal. It seemed a bit all over the place on TG4 too, be interesting to know what the referee had in.

Great display to fight back anyway, the lads should be really proud of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Great win. Some impressive high fielding and well taken scores. Meath look like a very strong and fit team. Welcome to big time hurling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Why can't we seem to win a final in Croker without controversy? I'll be honest, there were a few times that I got confused about the score during the game. I really hope that the score was correct. What unbelievable fight from the team to come back. Great atmosphere from the Meath crowd and they showed the never say die attitude that has forsaken the footballers.

Unfortunately, if the score was incorrect (and personally I think it was), it's completely different to the Leinster final and a replay will probably be ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

This error is no fault of Meath or Antrim for that matter. Its solely and not for the first time the Gaa's fault. Clare poeople are still to this day bitter over the replay that took place in 98 to have them knocked out and arguably loose an Allireland due to a referees error.
    I really do feel a replay is out of the question now with cups and speeches and celebrations etc. Would allowing Antrim into the Liam McCarty next year instead of playing a replay be a solution? I know it has a knock on effect for next years competitions but is there any other other way around this mess bar a replay?

Anyone know where I could rewatch it? I see it's not on the TG4 website yet.
    But surely the referee would keep note of the score and not rely on the scoreboard. Whoever was on scoreboard must have been on the sauce. Dublin crest beside "An Mhí" and there were more than a few times that a score for one team was marked for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Davys Fits wrote: »
    This error is no fault of Meath or Antrim for that matter. Its solely and not for the first time the Gaa's fault. Clare poeople are still to this day bitter over the replay that took place in 98 to have them knocked out and arguably loose an Allireland due to a referees error.
    I really do feel a replay is out of the question now with cups and speeches and celebrations etc. Would allowing Antrim into the Liam McCarty next year instead of playing a replay be a solution? I know it has a knock on effect for next years competitions but is there any other other way around this mess bar a replay?

No there is no other way around it except a replay. If the scores are found to be level Meath have the cup in error (through no fault of their own). For the integrity of the competition it needs to be replayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Anyone know where I could rewatch it? I see it's not on the TG4 website yet.
    But surely the referee would keep note of the score and not rely on the scoreboard. Whoever was on scoreboard must have been on the sauce. Dublin crest beside "An Mhí" and there were more than a few times that a score for one team was marked for the other.
    Absolutely, the public scoreboard should be irrelevant. Many people would be keeping the score, but the ref is the only one that matters. Are you telling me with team statisticians that the two teams didn't know the proper score I real time??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Wasn't there a Meath score that was given wide? Could that have been added in eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭paul71

If there is a replay I want it brought to the home of hurling, Trim!

Whole match is up on the TG4 website if anyone wants to do some detective work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ultrapercy wrote: »
    No there is no other way around it except a replay. If the scores are found to be level Meath have the cup in error (through no fault of their own). For the integrity of the competition it needs to be replayer.

But if the ref reports the result as 2-18 to 1-20, is that not sacrosanct anymore?

Absolutely, the public scoreboard should be irrelevant. Many people would be keeping the score, but the ref is the only one that matters. Are you telling me with team statisticians that the two teams didn't know the proper score I real time??

You are the talk of the country anyway!

I was talking to a ref here and he told me that any inter county ref would be keeping his own score and not following the scoreboard, and that is the official result, and that he'd be very surprised if result is over turned. I hope it is not anyway. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I've a feeling the ref's scorekeeping and the scoreboard are just 2 separate mistakes within the same match.

Sean Heavey took a shot in the 2nd half that was a tough call from where I sat. The umpire waved it wide but had it been waved over it would have been difficult to argue. Is there a chance the referee put it down as a Meath score?

• Advertisement

Just heard on Off the Ball that there is question of ref making an error, to be considered at CCCC meeting on Tuesday.

I've a feeling the ref's scorekeeping and the scoreboard are just 2 separate mistakes within the same match.

Sean Heavey took a shot in the 2nd half that was a tough call from where I sat. The umpire waved it wide but had it been waved over it would have been difficult to argue. Is there a chance the referee put it down as a Meath score?

This ^^^^

I have re-watched the whole game. Antrims score is correct, Meaths score is correct only if the score you spoke about was awarded. I cannot tell from the ref at the time on TV if he had awarded it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

This could be a get out of jail free card for the ref, Croke Park and the GAA

whatnext wrote: »
    This could be a get out of jail free card for the ref, Croke Park and the GAA

No question of a get out of jail free card. He either marked it as a score in his notebook at the time or didn't. The scoreboard at the match or on TV is irrelevent only the referees notebook matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

RTE News Now is running a ticker that says the ref has admitted a mistake. That throws another spanner in the works:(.

paul71 wrote: »
    No question of a get out of jail free card. He either marked it as a score in his notebook at the time or didn't. The scoreboard at the match or on TV is irrelevent only the referees notebook matters.

While what you are saying is true, if he made an error on the day that incident could make a retrospective entry!! Hopefully it is a case that he gave that score and this can be put to bed quickly.

What ever happens I really hope it's done swiftly and decisively.

Has there been any statement from HQ or are they gone into hiding?

whatnext wrote: »
    While what you are saying is true, if he made an error on the day that incident could make a retrospective entry!! Hopefully it is a case that he gave that score and this can be put to bed quickly.

What ever happens I really hope it's done swiftly and decisively.

Official welcome here in Trim at 7pm tonight, this will be serious dampener on the mood I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

paul71 wrote: »
    Official welcome here in Trim at 7pm tonight, this will be serious dampener on the mood I suspect.

Jesus Christ!

Have the powers that be any shame whatsoever??

Unbelievable disrespect to Antrim.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ!

Have the powers that be any shame whatsoever??

Unbelievable disrespect to Antrim.
    So what are they meant to do? Leave it for the GAA to decide which could take over a week? The fact is they were presented with the trophy yesterday and have every right to celebrate it. This farce has come about through no fault of the Meath players or fans so they should be allowed celebrate.

Advertisement