Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

It'll be on the Sunday Game shortly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Hard to see anything other than a replay taking place; that's the fair decision. GAA would look pretty foolish otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hard to see anything other than a replay taking place; that's the fair decision. GAA would look pretty foolish otherwise.
    Are you implying that they don't look foolish already?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Are you implying that they don't look foolish already?

Well, less foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Absolute farce that this hasn't been sorted already, it's really unfair on both teams to drag it over, wouldn't happen if it was a Liam McCarthy game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

So what are they meant to do? Leave it for the GAA to decide which could take over a week? The fact is they were presented with the trophy yesterday and have every right to celebrate it. This farce has come about through no fault of the Meath players or fans so they should be allowed celebrate.

What are they meant to do???

The Meath county board issue a statement along the lines of "In light of the decision taken by the CCCC to call a meeting to discuss some doubt about the scorekeeping/final score of Saturday's CR Final, the homecoming/civic reception for our hurling team has been postponed until further notice".

That would be the sporting thing to do.....

Hearing 5 of the panel flying to the USA this week. We won't be pushing for a replay anyway.

iDave wrote: »
    Hearing 5 of the panel flying to the USA this week. We won't be pushing for a replay anyway.

Pretty stupid not to have factored the possibility of an actual drawn match into their travel plans.

I call shenanigans.

They're trying to force the GAA's hand.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Pretty stupid not to have factored the possibility of an actual drawn match into their travel plans.

I call shenanigans.

The chance of a draw game AET is slim. I'm sure if there was one, the players would try and make other arrangements but they can't be expected to put their lives on hold while the GAA makes a decision (it's already been 48 hours since the game in question). But I'm sure you have evidence that the players are lying.

I call shenanigans.

You're calling shenigans? So you're saying the players themselves who told my auld fella in the pub last night aren't actually going to the USA?

• Advertisement

You're calling shenigans? So you're saying the players themselves who told my auld fella in the pub last night aren't actually going to the USA?

What would they have done if there wasn't an error in the scorekeeping and it still finished level after extra time?

That should be the players starting point as regards fulfilling a replay fixture.

What would they have done if there wasn't an error in the scorekeeping and it still finished level after extra time?

That should be the players starting point as regards fulfilling a replay fixture.
    Do you know when this "replay" is? The difference between this and the game finishing level AET is the players would know immediately. The earliest the players will know is tomorrow night.

The chance of a draw game AET is slim. I'm sure if there was one, the players would try and make other arrangements but they can't be expected to put their lives on hold while the GAA makes a decision (it's already been 48 hours since the game in question). But I'm sure you have evidence that the players are lying.

I'm not calling anyone a liar.

Looking in it does look a shade "move on, nothing to see here!" when you couple it with the insistence of going ahead with a homecoming celebration.

I believe there's an orchestrated attempt to make a replay of the fixture as unworkable as possible.

Just my opinion....

I have no beef with Meath hurling whatsoever.

Do you know when this "replay" is? The difference between this and the game finishing level AET is the players would know immediately. The earliest the players will know is tomorrow night.

As of now, there is no replay to discuss.
    The prospect of there being one was removed by getting the scorekeeping wrong.

The more I think about it the more i feel we should stand firm with this. The players played to what they could see on the scoreboard.
    Antrim players and officials acted like they lost. They weren't exactly swarming the referee.
    The GAA president offered the Meath players the trophy.
    Happy to see Antrim accomadated in Leinster next year but we are Christy Ring champions 2016.
    An Mhi Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

A replay would make absolute shít of the summer fixtures too. They lost a round of football championship due to the CR starting a week earlier this year. The master planner for May was already originally provisionally planned based on the (not unreasonable) assumption that Meath wouldn't make the Christy Ring final. This time last year we had 3 rounds of football championship played, some clubs only have 1 played so far this year.

As it stands there's 4 rounds of football championship to try and fit in once Meath's football championship is over. If there's a replay of the CR final in 2/3 weeks the hurling championship will get postponed and they'll have to try and fit in 2 additional rounds of hurling championship in July/August too. Factor in the 2 week holiday period and things could get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The more I think about it the more i feel we should stand firm with this. The players played to what they could see on the scoreboard.
    Antrim players and officials acted like they lost. They weren't exactly swarming the referee.
    The GAA president offered the Meath players the trophy.
    Happy to see Antrim accomadated in Leinster next year but we are Christy Ring champions 2016.
    An Mhi Abu.

I think promoting Antrim in a 1 off makes sense. Not sure that'd mean 2 go down next year though? If say Laois ended up being the 2nd team down, then I wouldn't be too impressed with it! However, seems the fairest solution to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Find it funny that it's generally people not from Antrim losing their lives over this debacle. I'd be of a mind to make a replay as difficult as possible to make a point over the bad handling of it by the GAA. If I remember right the Offaly/Clare thing in 98 was sorted out on the day, I know Offaly fans sat in but the wrong score came to light fairly quick. A decision could've been made on this on Sunday morning.

On another note am I right in saying if the unthinkable happens in Parnell Park next Sunday we would be out again 6 days later? Going on the Sunday Game last night with their fixture graphics we would be on the A side of the draw. Begs the question why the game couldn't have been played yesterday.

I see the usual GAA stance of "keep quiet and everyone will blame Meath for our fcuk up" is coming to fruition once again.
    Good job GAA! Nice to see you holding your hands up and taking the blame as usual!

You complete idiots!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I see the usual GAA stance of "keep quiet and everyone will blame Meath for our fcuk up" is coming to fruition once again.
    Good job GAA! Nice to see you holding your hands up and taking the blame as usual!

You complete idiots!!!

Don't be so paranoid. You are as bad as us Dubs :)

Anyone I've talked to about it have been clearly on Meath's side, while sympathetic to the Antrim case as well. But thinking you've won a trophy and then told not is against the spirit of things.

As I and other said before; let Meath keep the cup but promote Antrim as well.

• Advertisement

You complete idiots!!!

Ye the anti Meath vitriol starting to surface online.
    Coincidently mainly from counties we have a football rivalry with but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Coincidently mainly from counties we have a football rivalry with but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it.

I've seen some silly stuff from Louth people harking back to 2010, but seriously, vast majority of people are on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

A lot of Meath people have an obsession with people being "Anti-Meath". 99% of the media and Joe soaps are sympathetic to both counties and rightfully so. You're probably clutching at straws with the anti Meath vitriol.

Let Meath keep the cup and promote the two teams is the fairest thing in my opinion. I don't think Antrim care too much about the Christy Ring, they just want to be in the top tier competition. If the GAA won't do that then they would have to play a replay. As harsh as that is on Meath, it would be harsher on Antrim not to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Listening to Aogan O Fearghail on RTE for the qualifying draws, it sounds like a replay is going to be ordered. He definitively ruled out both teams being promoted.
    Predictable patronising and spineless stuff really, talked about honesty and fairness. No sign of that fairness he talks about on Saturday though. Fairness would have been treating the competition with the respect it deserved and not having this farce happen in the first place.

Losers of Meath/Louth away to Derry by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Not that my opinion matters at all given I'm a Dub. But despite my natural animosity that exists for the Royal County (as well as the fact that they fcked up an 11 line accumulator), I was looking forward to seeing Meath at the top table next year. Having Kerry around the place (and don't get me started on the animosity that goes on there) was a great thing and only good for hurling as a whole.

For Meath now realistically they'll probably be beaten in a replay and that'll be that. And the mediocre Antrim train will rumble on.

I had flip flopped on the issue and thought it unreasonable for Meath to not countenance the offer of a replay, but given how the game ended and how the lads were playing to that scoreboard stadium it is entirely reasonable for Meath to stand firm.

The simple solution is here. Promote Antrim as well and be done with

Sure can you imagine the turnout and coverage for the
    Antrim v Meath match in the round robin next year.

redlead wrote: »
    A lot of Meath people have an obsession with people being "Anti-Meath". 99% of the media and Joe soaps are sympathetic to both counties and rightfully so. You're probably clutching at straws with the anti Meath vitriol.
    Yeah, have a look at the comments on other sites and on social media and say that it's all in our head again.
    The GAA president has said there will be no double promotion. And not a hint of an apology to both teams in his statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Yeah, have a look at the comments on other sites and on social media and say that it's all in our head again.
    The GAA president has said there will be no double promotion. And not a hint of an apology to both teams in his statement.

Correct, Hammer. The one and only reason for this scenario lies at the feet of Croke Park. They give spineless a whole new meaning. Shameful.

Looks increasingly likely a replay will be ordered. One that will cause havoc with our club scheduling and one we'll most certainly lose with panel members missing.
    They say Leinster is too full but moving Kerry to Munster where they belong isn't even considered

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

redlead wrote: »
    Ya I thought his statement was arrogant beyond belief, the first thing he should have said was to apologise to both counties on behalf of the gaa for the f**k up but no it was bull headed, no compromises type of statement...a replay now will leave a sour taste and will be probably be won by Antrim, the best compromise is to leave Meath as winners and promote both to the round robin next year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Looks increasingly likely a replay will be ordered. One that will cause havoc with our club scheduling and one we'll most certainly lose with panel members missing.
    They say Leinster is too full but moving Kerry to Munster where they belong isn't even considered

Moving Kerry to Munster is not a solution. They should be playing teams around their level, like the teams in the Round Robin in Leinster.

Advertisement