Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

If Kerry were to win the Leinster round robin, they will still be facing the equivalent of one of the other Munster teams when they play Cats, Galway, Dublin. So why not put them into Munster quarter final?

Its extra games, but lets be honest, it is only really an extended CR and lower Division 1b and 2A. Not sure what benefit last weekend's match between Westmeath and Galway was to either. Then again, there are similar mismatches in football, so it is what it is I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I really don't understand why that extra QF in Munster isn't played now that Kerry are in 1B sure look at their results.

People will point to their pastings from Clare and Wexford but sure Kerry beat Laois well and Wexford only beat Laois by a point. We all know how hurling can go on any given day with results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Replay called.

All that emotion on Saturday for nothing.

When is it to be played?

Feel sorry for the poor Meath players I have to say.

I sincerely hope your man is dropped off the ref's panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

News breaking for over an hour but still no sort of a statement on the official GAA website or social media. They do themselves no favours a lot of the time.

• Advertisement

http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/christy-ring-cup-final-replayed/

Just as I say it! Newry on a Saturday evening....glamorous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

As I suspected, It'll be a replay.Promoting both teams was never a runner, it would have caused more hassle than it prevented, and opened a can of worms.

Just to add to the farce, they've now corrected the statement... Match this Saturday at 7 pm. What a joke. Imagine giving Brian Cody 4 days notice for an All Ireland final

Saturday evening! That will be a strange affair.

Awful mess. If a player does something outrageous they are sanctioned through suspensions and sometimes CBs are hit with fines. Ref and anyone else responsible for getting the score wrong ought to be subject to some penalty as well. No excuse for such a basic error in a big game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Very harsh on Meath, all I can say is best of luck to you in the replay.

Typical arrogance for Aogan O'Farrell this morning on the radio, dismissing anything other than a replay, with no apology in sight for what was an atrocious error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Saturday evening! That will be a strange affair.

Awful mess. If a player does something outrageous they are sanctioned through suspensions and sometimes CBs are hit with fines. Ref and anyone else responsible for getting the score wrong ought to be subject to some penalty as well. No excuse for such a basic error in a big game.

There's a difference between a mistake an something outrageous though. If a ref hit a player or something then yes, but they generally don't mean to fúck up. Fining or banning a referee for an honest mistake would be disastrous.

Problem is that a mistake by a referee is not unreasonably seen as an injustice, even if it was just an honest slip up.

There's a difference between a mistake an something outrageous though. If a ref hit a player or something then yes, but they generally don't mean to fúck up. Fining or banning a referee for an honest mistake would be disastrous.

Problem is that a mistake by a referee is not unreasonably seen as an injustice, even if it was just an honest slip up.

Not suggesting it was anything other than a mistake. But, its not he was being asked to weigh neutrons or something. It is pretty straight forward to keep track of the score of a game, especially if that's YOUR responsibility.

Not proposing he or others be fined, but they ought not be in charge of any big games for a while. Everyone else involved is paying some price for what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

All this talk about Meath missing players due to trips to the US etc. What would have happened if it had actually been a draw at the end of play on Saturday and a replay was needed? Would they still be gone or would they be rebooking flights?

All this talk about Meath missing players due to trips to the US etc. What would have happened if it had actually been a draw at the end of play on Saturday and a replay was needed? Would they still be gone or would they be rebooking flights?

Extra time

Well at least they would have known straight away on Saturday evening that they would have to consider rescheduling or else missing a replay. Edit: And the chances of a draw after extra time are quite slim.

And 4 days notice? What about the other few hundred players that were meant to have first round of club championship starting this weekend. There is absolutely no way anybody can think this is a reasonable decision by the GAA.

iDave wrote:
    Extra time

I meant after extra time. Would these same players still be going to the US this week? I highly doubt it. Way back when I was going to the US for the summer my club paid to rebook flights. Assume the county board would do the same if they really wanted to.

paul0103 wrote:
    Well at least they would have known straight away on Saturday evening that they would have to consider rescheduling or else missing a replay. Edit: And the chances of a draw after extra time are quite slim.

paul0103 wrote:
    And 4 days notice? What about the other few hundred players that were meant to have first round of club championship starting this weekend. There is absolutely no way anybody can think this is a reasonable decision by the GAA.

Totally agree but my point is that these players would still have had to make a decision either way and a replay would have to have been on the cards on Saturday night once it was clear that a huge error had been made.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Totally agree but my point is that these players would still have had to make a decision either way and a replay would have to have been on the cards on Saturday night once it was clear that a huge error had been made.
    But they didn't get a chance to even play extra time. If it was a draw after extra time, then almost certainly the players would change their flights. But this was a complete cock up by the GAA yet it took 72 hours for them to even discuss it. If they had any decency, they would have called an emergency meeting on Saturday night. But it was just two insignificant hurling counties, so they could not possibly disrupt their long weekend for them.

Now, players (club players included as a club championship round was due to take place next weekend) and fans are inconvenienced and out of pocket thanks to the GAA and they haven't even had the decency to apologise. They would rather portray Meath as villains once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Plus the meath lads will have been on the razz for the last 72 hours...thats a great preparation for a final....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I think Martin Ennis and his team should make a very critical statement on this issue, demand an apology and refuse to tog out for this farce. If the GAA brass are going to treat us like dirt then why should we allow them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

I think Martin Ennis and his team should make a very critical statement on this issue, demand an apology and refuse to tog out for this farce. If the GAA brass are going to treat us like dirt then why should we allow them?

Absolutely. No more than they deserve. Nothing short of a full apology and acceptance of responsibility should be accepted. Do the decent thing for once D3.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

This is shocking treatment of both teams and in particular meath in this case. I would refuse to play..end of. Sorry Antrim but the gaa screwed this up. If Meath loose next day there will be no point in complaining then. Nick it now.

This is perfect for Antrim despite what they may say. Favourites getting a second crack at the whip within a week. And against a team boozing for a couple of days.
    Let's remember ourselves and Westmeath were forcibly relegated in 2009 to facilitate them moving to Leinster.
    They changed relegation rules the same year to suit them.
    They get a bye to the Ulster final every year despite wanting to be in Leinster also.
    Congress voted on a poorly thought out Antrim proposal to get Christy Ring winners a Leinster QF place as soon as they got relegated.
    And now they're also getting a free stadium they don't need which is causing havoc with local residents.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I never thought I'd be this livid over a hurling game. I'd very much support the players and management not fulfilling the fixture. Had the replay been announced that evening or even the following morning and the GAA apologised for their mess up, I'd be annoyed but I'd say "fair enough". But throughout all this, the Ó Fearghail has acted as if Meath are a nuisance, that this is all the Meath team's fault and that the GAA are doing them a favour in sorting this mess out.

The GAA should be ashamed of the way they've handled this. And it will almost certainly be Meath that lose out because of their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,344 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

why is there such a rush to play it ???. they could of easily played it before an All Ireland Hurling Qualifer on July 9th or even later. If i was meath i would not show up.

Antrim will bull dose ye in all fairness not that your a bad team but the fact that ur players are off celebrating not training etc

Id do anything to see ye win the replay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/we-are-firmly-against-playing-a-replay-to-a-game-we-have-already-won-meath-boss-martin-ennis-slams-gaa-34779686.html

All the press had this as a draw at FT. Would any of the Meath sideline team been keeping a note of the score during the match? Isn't this normally done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

All the press had this as a draw at FT. Would any of the Meath sideline team been keeping a note of the score during the match? Isn't this normally done?

One of the Meath selectors stated this morning that the Meath management team questioned the 4th official during the second half about the score and he on speaking to the ref confirmed that the scoreboard was correct.
    Antrim background team were asleep by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Hadn't realised till now there was club championship on in Meath the weekend. I would've thought with the footballers out there wasn't. This balls up the club players now lads potentially booked holidays on the strength of the master fixture list that needs changing now. Seen a suggestion earlier on to hold it over till before one of the All Ireland Hurling Semi's in August which would've made sense as anyone travelling would probably be back.

Just on people having a go at us online over it, it's generally Louth people that I've seen, I wonder why....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

rpurfield wrote: »
    Hadn't realised till now there was club championship on in Meath the weekend. I would've thought with the footballers out there wasn't. This balls up the club players now lads potentially booked holidays on the strength of the master fixture list that needs changing now. Seen a suggestion earlier on to hold it over till before one of the All Ireland Hurling Semi's in August which would've made sense as anyone travelling would probably be back.

Just on people having a go at us online over it, it's generally Louth people that I've seen, I wonder why....

Hopefully we will shut them up again for another 12 months after this weekend ;)

Advertisement