Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Replaying a drawn match is the only fair and reasonable course of action. It was a little presumptuous for the team to be out celebrating and boozing when they knew the game was a draw and would almost certainly be replayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

One interesting thing that has emerged from this is the reluctance to use Hawkeye by referees sometimes. I remember Joe Canning asking a referee to check one of his shots with Hawkeye and the ref refused to do so. I could not understand it. Usually a player has a fairly good idea if the ball went over. If Hawkeye is available, then the referee and umpires should not be afraid to use it. They should not be looking on it as a "last resort" but look on it as an aide to their own performance.

I hope this Meath - Antrim thing will make referees more inclined to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Replaying a drawn match is the only fair and reasonable course of action. It was a little presumptuous for the team to be out celebrating and boozing when they knew the game was a draw and would almost certainly be replayed.
    The scoreboard showed they won, the ref didn't stop the gaa president presenting the cup to the captain, usually that signifies that a team has won? No? Maybe in future teams shouldn't get the cup or celebrate until a few days layer in case the GAA make another mistake with the scores...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scarecrow 2

Mehapoy wrote: »
    The scoreboard showed they won, the ref didn't stop the gaa president presenting the cup to the captain, usually that signifies that a team has won? No? Maybe in future teams shouldn't get the cup or celebrate until a few days layer in case the GAA make another mistake with the scores...

But after 1 hour it was clear to see that there was a problem and clearly by Saturday evening everyone new that a replay was gonna happen.. It was embarrassing to see them celebrating in Trim Sunday evening on social media like nothing was going to happen.

I am a complete neutral on this. I think the GAA are completely in the wrong. Just like they were in 1998 when the referee blew whistle early between Clare and Offally. They could of played it out then but it wasn't till shortly after the game it really took off in media etc about the mistake.

The funniest thing I keep hearing out of Meath is that there is loads club championship games on this weekend. Is it not a bit strange then that all yer players are going off to the states traveling?? Goes to show what respect they have for there clubs that they couldn't be bothered to stay around for there Club championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

But after 1 hour it was clear to see that there was a problem and clearly by Saturday evening everyone new that a replay was gonna happen.. It was embarrassing to see them celebrating in Trim Sunday evening on social media like nothing was going to happen.

Yet the GAA couldn't see fit to make a statement Saturday evening about it then? The GAA official website still had the result as a Meath win up to yeaterday afternoon. The GAA president still has it on his official Twitter account:
    https://twitter.com/uachtaranclg/status/739162596193013760
    The funniest thing I keep hearing out of Meath is that there is loads club championship games on this weekend. Is it not a bit strange then that all yer players are going off to the states traveling?? Goes to show what respect they have for there clubs that they couldn't be bothered to stay around for there Club championship.

This is just complete nonsense, hundreds of players in the country do this every summer and nothing said about their respect for clubs.

What is pissing me off the most is articles like this. Nobody in the media having the balls to crticise the GAA or even to say how much of a f**k up this is by them and how it further shows the contempt they treat this competition with.

• Advertisement

I am a complete neutral on this. I think the GAA are completely in the wrong. Just like they were in 1998 when the referee blew whistle early between Clare and Offally. They could of played it out then but it wasn't till shortly after the game it really took off in media etc about the mistake.

So if it was clear to see after 1 hour why didn't the GAA officials go to the Meath team, take the cup back off them and say sorry, the ref and the scoreboard operators have f@@ked up so you didn't actually win... Sit down with antrim officials and come up with a date for a replay or make an exception for an exceptional situation not of either counties making and promote both for the year, not the thick headed statement from the president with no apology for their balls up on Tuesday and 4 days notice for a replay...not surprised the Meath managers is pissed off and not going to fulfill the fixture...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It is a GAA f**k up. Meath still didn't win it. Replay asap please.

Its getting into Garth Brukes / Thierry Henry handball territory when you hear, "replay for Leinster qual but let us keep the cup", or "both teams into Leinster '17".

Stupid stuff. Error, review, void the game, hand back trophy, replay, legit winner - Christy Ring champion and Leinster qualifer. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scarecrow 2

So if it was clear to see after 1 hour why didn't the GAA officials go to the Meath team, take the cup back off them and say sorry, the ref and the scoreboard operators have f@@ked up so you didn't actually win... Sit down with antrim officials and come up with a date for a replay or make an exception for an exceptional situation not of either counties making and promote both for the year, not the thick headed statement from the president with no apology for their balls up on Tuesday and 4 days notice for a replay...not surprised the Meath managers is pissed off and not going to fulfill the fixture...

It was embarrassing watching ye having a homecoming Sunday. The entire country outside Meath thinks there should be a replay. Get on with it. The entire country including Meath new there was going to be a replay waking up Sunday morning and ye still went ahead with all the celebrations. It's embarrassing for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

It was embarrassing watching ye having a homecoming Sunday. The entire country outside Meath thinks there should be a replay. Get on with it. The entire country including Meath new there was going to be a replay waking up Sunday morning and ye still went ahead with all the celebrations. It's embarrassing for ye

Thankfully we don't give a sh1te about anyone who's embarrassed on our behalf.

Odd how most of guff I've read about Meath online the last few days has been from people in border counties or any county we roughed up in football once or twice.

iDave wrote: »
    Thankfully we don't give a sh1te about anyone who's embarrassed on our behalf.

Odd how most of guff I've read about Meath online the last few days has been from people in border counties or any county we roughed up in football once or twice.

Nobody from that era is tech savvy.

• Advertisement

Who's Ye! I'm from limerick so clearly not everybody outside Meath thinks like you, if its common knowledge as you say why didn't the GAA issue a statement BEFORE everybody had left croke park on the Saturday, they waited to sort it out on the Tuesday, then expected both teams to rock up 4 days later to play a replay...the only ones who should be embarrassed here are the GAA officials and president for royally ballsing things up and then making a bad situation worse by being pig headed and ignorant about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

One interesting thing that has emerged from this is the reluctance to use Hawkeye by referees sometimes. I remember Joe Canning asking a referee to check one of his shots with Hawkeye and the ref refused to do so. I could not understand it. Usually a player has a fairly good idea if the ball went over. If Hawkeye is available, then the referee and umpires should not be afraid to use it. They should not be looking on it as a "last resort" but look on it as an aide to their own performance.

I hope this Meath - Antrim thing will make referees more inclined to use it.

Hawkeye monitors every single decision and notifies the referee if it disagrees with the award or non award of a point. So for the Canning shot it had already checked and didn't notify the referee as it was wide. I think this was explained on the Sunday game that night.

The Meath - Antrim point seemed to be more of an error from the person putting up the score board (I presume it's a person behind it) in that they forgot to add the point for Antrim. The referee probably didn't bother totting up the scores at the end then and just took scoreboard as correct (I doubt any referee does??)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It is a GAA f**k up. Meath still didn't win it. Replay asap please.

Its getting into Garth Brukes / Thierry Henry handball territory when you hear, "replay for Leinster qual but let us keep the cup", or "both teams into Leinster '17".

Stupid stuff. Error, review, void the game, hand back trophy, replay, legit winner - Christy Ring champion and Leinster qualifer. Done.

All of which makes sense. But without an apology from the top, and their continued practise of hanging Meath out to dry, Meath should throw the cup back at them and tell the to stick their replay up their ****

mattser wrote: »
    All of which makes sense. But without an apology from the top, and their continued practise of hanging Meath out to dry, Meath should throw the cup back at them and tell the to stick their replay up their ****

The problem with that is that it does nothing to help Meath hurling.

The best response from Meath is to win the replay.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Hawkeye monitors every single decision and notifies the referee if it disagrees with the award or non award of a point. So for the Canning shot it had already checked and didn't notify the referee as it was wide. I think this was explained on the Sunday game that night.

The Meath - Antrim point seemed to be more of an error from the person putting up the score board (I presume it's a person behind it) in that they forgot to add the point for Antrim. The referee probably didn't bother totting up the scores at the end then and just took scoreboard as correct (I doubt any referee does??)

Yeah, I remember something like that. But then I couldnt understand why we go to Hawkeye at all if the referee automatically knows..... I need to read up more on how it actually works.

mattser wrote: »

Thats paranoid stuff. The match officials didnt set out to make an error in a match containing Meath. The people at the top didnt make the error either. Do you agree that if this were let go, Meath would not have won the game and would be tainted winners?

Hilarious stuff from the Meath PRO on the news, "possession is 9/10ths of the law", regarding the title. It was the GAAs error, but persisting with this line moves it into cheating on Meath's part.

Just have the replay, win the thing honestly or loose graciously. If ye dont turn up, ye will be rightly stripped of it and Antrim given the walkover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Wonder what the county board will come up with tonight, as of now they haven't postponed the championship games anyway. I'm not adverse to a replay myself but what I am adverse to is no one in Croke Park apologising to either team and just shoe horsing it in badly thought out. As said before it wouldn't happen to one of the elite counties and the suits wouldn't dare treat them like this either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Thats paranoid stuff. The match officials didnt set out to make an error in a match containing Meath. The people at the top didnt make the error either. Do you agree that if this were let go, Meath would not have won the game and would be tainted winners?

Hilarious stuff from the Meath PRO on the news, "possession is 9/10ths of the law", regarding the title. It was the GAAs error, but persisting with this line moves it into cheating on Meath's part.

Just have the replay, win the thing honestly or loose graciously. If ye dont turn up, ye will be rightly stripped of it and Antrim given the walkover.

As I said before, I have sympathy for the ref. Only human. The people at the top didn't make the error, agreed, but they compounded by sitting on their hands for too long, just as they did in 2010.

By all means have a replay, but only after they answer and apologise for the atrocious human and technological " state of the art " stadium malfunction.

No paranoia. Just facts.

Fergal Lynch on twitter. We agreed to replay on 18 June in CP.
    Club fixtures postponed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Following a meeting of Coiste na Mí and in consultation with the Meath Senior Team management and players, we are happy to confirm that Meath will, in the interest of hurling and fair play, agree to replay the Christy Ring Cup final against Antrim. We have requested with regard to player welfare and appropriate preparation that the game be played on Saturday June 18th. We have also requested that the game be played in Croke Park as it fits its status as a national final.

• Advertisement

Could be interesting if the footballers lose on Sunday. Derry game is due to take place that day.
    Same day as Ireland's game against Belgium. But overall it's plain common sense.

So Meath will play the replay on their terms, in Croke Park, on a date of their choosing that is deep into the All-Ireland calendar?

Can't see the CCCC having a bar of that. Not over yet by a long chalk.

So Meath will play the replay on their terms, in Croke Park, on a date of their choosing that is deep into the All-Ireland calendar?

Why not? The GAA fcuked this up! Meath lost out the most because of this. Why shouldn't they have some input into when and where it's played? Obviously Saturday is ridiculously early given it wasn't decided until Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Deep into the All-Ireland calendar?? It's just one week on from original date and less than a week since the footballers play their first game in the championship so your attempt at stirring it about Meath has failed this time my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭notuslimited

Why not? The GAA fcuked this up! Meath lost out the most because of this. Why shouldn't they have some input into when and where it's played? Obviously Saturday is ridiculously early given it wasn't decided until Tuesday.

What a load of horse manure. Both teams have equally lost out, Meath being told to replay a game they thought they won and Antrim being told to replay a game they thought they had lost. It was a draw fair and square and time for a replay. Get over it. It's up to the GAA to decide when and where, not the Antrim county board and not the Meath one either. Personally I think Meath will win it.

What a load of horse manure. Both teams have equally lost out, Meath being told to replay a game they thought they won and Antrim being told to replay a game they thought they had lost. It was a draw fair and square and time for a replay. Get over it. It's up to the GAA to decide when and where, not the Antrim county board and not the Meath one either. Personally I think Meath will win it.
    Yeah, poor Antrim. Being out on their feet at full time, not having to play extra time against a team on the crest of a wave and getting a second chance at a full 70 minute game against a team that experienced the high of lifting the trophy in the Hogan Stand a week previous. Not saying that Antrim haven't suffered, but to say both teams suffered equally is laughable.

Why do you think it's fair to give Meath and Antrim only 4 days preparation for the replay?

OK we've made our compromise and done our bit to resolve this.
    Antrim have rejected it on Morning Ireland. Any sympathy I have for them is gone now.

iDave wrote: »
    OK we've made our compromise and done our big to resolve this.
    Antrim have rejected it on Morning Ireland. Any sympathy I have for them is gone now.
    What were their reasons for rejecting it?

What were their reasons for rejecting it?

Not sure I just read a tweet from Des Cahill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Advertisement