Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Excellent!

We'll be seeing Dubs/Meath double headers soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

It took some balls for your lads to go and do that after all that's happened, fair play to both teams for producing two excellent games, both were treated very unfairly but the injustice has been undone, you've now won it fair and square and Antrim got a fair crack of the whip.

But you really do have to admire your players, took a lot of character to go and do it again after climbing the steps of the Hogan stand and lifting the trophy and all the post game celebrations only to have it all taken away days later. There can be absolutely no doubting one thing now; Meath were the best team in the Ring Cup. Antrim were the favourites, but they couldn't beat your guys in two attempts. Congratulations, I'm delighted for Meath hurling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Sweet Jesus I'm dead

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

paul0103 wrote: »
    As long as we avoid a similar opening 20 minutes to the last day we have every chance.

Or, you know, just do the exact same as the last day!!

What a day!

HON THE ****ING ROYALS COYBIG

What a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

That was awesome. Twice as sweet.
    Very tense finish, but they never panicked.

Delighted for the team, great the see support like that out for the hurlers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I swear those types of games will kill me eventually!
    Not steel but balls of feckin Adamantium from Tispin at the end! Unbelievable performances from Keoghan (my MOTM), Gannon and Morris.

Now they can celebrate! If the footballers show as much fight tomorrow I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭paul71

I swear those types of games will kill me eventually!
    Not steel but balls of feckin Adamantium from Tispin at the end! Unbelievable performances from Keoghan (my MOTM), Gannon and Morris.

Now they can celebrate! If the footballers show as much fight tomorrow I'll be happy.

I think county board should be on to TNG to get a tape of the game and sit the footballers down to watch it tonight!

I have not seen a performance from any Meath team like that since 2001 All Ireland Semi-Final.

It was a statement of intent from Halftime, "WE WILL NOT BE BEATEN TODAY"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

What a game that was today. Great bit of heart and belief from the team to pull it out too, hopefully more of the same tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done lads...........................again!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Thee GAA have told Meath to hand the Christy Ring cup back as Antrim aren't even in the EU anymore ☺☺☺

Hopefully the county board pull out all the stops to make sure those lads are prepared for Leinster next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Are the hurlers definitely in the round robin for next year? Thought I read somewhere a while back that they decided at congress that the Csristy Ring winners would go straight into the quarter finals? Don't know if our hurlers would be ready for that, it would be a great achievement for them if they even managed to hold their own in the round robin.

Fantastic achievement by them though to win the final twice, delighted for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Not been as much build up to the Dubs game as their has been in previous years I notice. What do we think would be a good result today? A win? A draw? Not losing by too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Well that was depressing but expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Some nice players on show for Meath but you could tell they never believed ! Change in management long over due ! Some difference in 24 hours :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

hatchman wrote: »
    Some nice players on show for Meath but you could tell they never believed ! Change in management long over due ! Some difference in 24 hours :-(

I don't think any manager could do much better against the Dubs with the resources in the county at the moment. They were well up for the game but just inferior in every aspect just like the vast majority of teams out there.

It's funny what a good underage structure does for a county, who would have thought it...?! We can change management teams all we like but until that is addressed we're going nowhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Expected. Still hurts.
    Two great goal chances which you simply have to take against Dublin. Some ridiculously easy frees given to Dublin in scoring positions but to be honest, it was a training match for Dublin in the last 10 or 15 minutes.

On to Derry in two weeks. If we don't get too downhearted from today we really should win there.

I was restricted to radio coverage today so I find it hard to judge but something needs to change, I honestly don't know if a new manager is the answer, we could have Sean Boylan assisted by Mick O'Dwyer and Mickey Harte and still be behind the Dubs. Need to pin our hopes on some of the minors and beyond coming thru, the lads have a habit of losing to Dublin now that hopefully some underage teams can break like the minors this year.

Two points in the second half is depressing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Stick to the hurling lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭paul71

Stick to the hurling lads

Post something with a bit less bile and you may be listened too.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Disappointed. Very. How can any county compete against the amount of cash thrown against and invested in Dublin underage development? None. No manager can work against that. Its a county/national problem not a managerial one. Change managers as often as we want, the result is always, and has been, the same, for the last good few years. Success breeds success and Minors winning will eventually lead to seniors winning, which is what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The gameplan was terrible, i posted after the louth game how good i taught we were and how good it was to see us play 6 forwards in their positions and have a go, especially in the 1st half when we were at our best.

Today we went back to the same old dribble, pack the defense and break, except we cant do it, at one stage in the 1st half, Dalton McDonagh was on his own v 4 defenders, and for most of the game we had 11 in our own half, with 2 maybe 3 forwards v 4 or 5 defenders and we were going nowhere.

Now whether people think that today is actually the best the manager cant get out of them, (personally i think the players are better then that) i understand all the finances Dublin have behind them, but it doesnt stop us having a go at them, I would rather lose having a go, and if we lose then at least we lost by throwing everything at it, but to lose like that today was just to easy and predictable

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Today we went back to the same old dribble, pack the defense and break, except we cant do it, at one stage in the 1st half, Dalton McDonagh was on his own v 4 defenders, and for most of the game we had 11 in our own half, with 2 maybe 3 forwards v 4 or 5 defenders and we were going nowhere.

Totally agree bad management at end of of the day its 15 against 15 ! Its all about game plan and it looked like ours was to minimise the loss never to go for win !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

paul71 wrote: »
    Post something with a bit less bile and you may be listened too.

Don't know what your on about. I'm only telling the truth....

Mick o down should sit them down make them watch both Christy ring finals... Show them what passion and fight is.... It is sadly sadly lacking in Ye're footballers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 threerockers

As a dub I was disgusted with some of your fans today. I was there with my six and 9 yr old who were reduced to tears due to the aggressive nature of two Meath fans in section 309 of the Cusack Stand. I am going to Croke Park for 30 years and never had to leave until today due to the fear they put in my kids. This behaviour is not acceptable at what is supposed to be a sporting occasion . Just for the record if either of them have sobered up enough to read this Diarmuid Connolly was kicked at the back of the neck by Mr. Reilly and he should have been put off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Don't know what your on about. I'm only telling the truth....

Mick o down should sit them down make them watch both Christy ring finals... Show them what passion and fight is.... It is sadly sadly lacking in Ye're footballers...

signs of a fight in the dog today but new management required , is eamon o'brian still around , anyone to inject a bit of life back into meath football and bring it back to where it should be

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Are the hurlers definitely in the round robin for next year? Thought I read somewhere a while back that they decided at congress that the Csristy Ring winners would go straight into the quarter finals? Don't know if our hurlers would be ready for that, it would be a great achievement for them if they even managed to hold their own in the round robin.

Fantastic achievement by them though to win the final twice, delighted for them!

Meath hurlers are in round robin Leinster next year and properly so. Unless Antrim pull some other stroke based on Cu Chulainn!

mickrourke wrote: »
    Disappointed. Very. How can any county compete against the amount of cash thrown against and invested in Dublin underage development? None. No manager can work against that. Its a county/national problem not a managerial one. Change managers as often as we want, the result is always, and has been, the same, for the last good few years. Success breeds success and Minors winning will eventually lead to seniors winning, which is what we need.

You beat our minors ffs!

Lyons or O'Connell never took a dive. Get men back playing for you like your hurlers and shut the fk up whinging. Its not Meath or /Dublin way.

• Advertisement

As a dub I was disgusted with some of your fans today. I was there with my six and 9 yr old who were reduced to tears due to the aggressive nature of two Meath fans in section 309 of the Cusack Stand. I am going to Croke Park for 30 years and never had to leave until today due to the fear they put in my kids. This behaviour is not acceptable at what is supposed to be a sporting occasion . Just for the record if either of them have sobered up enough to read this Diarmuid Connolly was kicked at the back of the neck by Mr. Reilly and he should have been put off.

Just out of interest did you raise it with them or the stewards or just decide to post on the Meath topic here under a faceless user name? I've seen plenty of lads out of school in Croke Park over the years and generally a word in the ear sorts it, or failing that no steward would see kids put off and would sort it.

Advertisement