Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Yeah just googled it there it is the winners from next year, I had initially read it as the winners from this year would be in the 1/4 finals next year. That's a mad decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

This sums it up, a disaster really thanks to Antrim's self serving motion:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/congress-decision-a-mess-for-hurling-34506667.html

This sums it up, a disaster really thanks to Antrim's self serving motion:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/congress-decision-a-mess-for-hurling-34506667.html

That's the article I was reading, what a farce.

On another note again that throw in time in Owenbeg is brutal, it's more than likely I won't get up to it now because Saturday morning is kids swimming etc at home

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Meath team (versus Kildare): Adam McDermott Dunshaughlin, Robbie Clarke Skryne, Conor Harnan Moynalvey, Brian O'Reilly Moynalvey, James Cassidy Moynalty, Eanna O'Kelly Lynch Wolfe Tones, Sean Reilly Moylagh, Daragh Campion Skryne, Ethan Devine Na Fianna, Niall Murphy Curraha, Cian O'Reilly Carnaross, Eoin Smith Skryne, James Conlon St Colmcilles, Frank O'Reilly Carnaross, Jason Scully Oldcastle

Team for tonight's minor game named.
    Hopefully a large turnout in Navan and hopefully the lads can follow up the Dublin victory. This'll be a big step up from the Dublin game though.

So this happened 25 years ago today :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

6 points apiece at half time. Against the breeze in the second half. Kildare have had two decent goal chances saved. Meath finding it difficult to break down a packed Kildare defence.
    James Conlon from St. Colmcilles is a great prospect by the looks of it. Three beautiful points from play.

12 each at FT. Going to extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Sounds like a very symmetrical match, 6 points each in the first half, 6 points each in the second half. Hopefully Meath ruin the pattern in extra time!

Ugh. Hit the crossbar with a penalty in extra time to go two up. Kildare went up the other end and got two quick points. That just killed us. Referee really wanted to make a name for himself though. Some truly bizarre decisions from him.

Said it before the game, but it's an absolute travesty that Meath are out now. Equally if Kildare lost. They were the two best teams in Leinster who couldn't be separated after 60 minutes. Now Meath are out and Laois are guaranteed an All Ireland quarter final despite losing to Meath in Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Ugh. Hit the crossbar with a penalty in extra time to go two up. Kildare went up the other end and got two quick points. That just killed us. Referee really wanted to make a name for himself though. Some truly bizarre decisions from him.

Said it before the game, but it's an absolute travesty that Meath are out now. Equally if Kildare lost. They were the two best teams in Leinster who couldn't be separated after 60 minutes. Now Meath are out and Laois are guaranteed an All Ireland quarter final despite losing to Meath in Leinster.

Agreed. The Leinster MFC is a farcical set up and has been allowed to continue that way for far too long. There is very little benefit to winning your first round match and if you're unfortunate enough to draw the annual joke that is the Kilkenny team you are in no way prepared for the quarter final against a team with three games under their belt by that stage. That's what happened to Wexford this year. In 2010 Kildare beat Dublin in the first round in Newbridge and then had to beat them again in the quarter final after Dublin had come through the backdoor! It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Any sign of a team for tomorrow yet?

I would imagine a few changes possibly?

Will there be much of a travelling crowd, interest in Meath football seems to be just getting lesser and lesser as the years go on, hardly a peep about this game

Obrieski wrote: »
    Any sign of a team for tomorrow yet?

I would imagine a few changes possibly?

Will there be much of a travelling crowd, interest in Meath football seems to be just getting lesser and lesser as the years go on, hardly a peep about this game

Can't travel myself due to family commitments, the throw in time is brutal. You're right though the interest is through the floor its really sad to see but I suppose its the consequence of how far down we are at the minute.

There's no sign of a team yet according to Twitter anyway. Anyone going make sure they bring a pen to change the team in the programme!!

Going to head up myself. Though if I didn't have my ticket already I'd be having second thoughts. Think we've only beaten Derry once in over 30 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

It's been far too long since Meath have won a qualifier game. 2009 I think? Our best seasons in the last 10 years (07 09) came from qualifier runs and just looking at the side of the draw we're on I feel like there's a good chance of a run this year. Indeed with Mayo, Cork, Monaghan and Kildare on the other side of the draw, everyone left on ours must be thinking about the same thing.

This current Derry team are much like us not going anywhere fast so despite what Kevin Reilly was saying during the week I would give us a chance. Albeit less of a chance than if the game was in Navan.

This is a sizable hurdle and an absolute must must win for the management in particular. If we lose I can't see MOD staying a fifth year. But all we can ask of both the team and the management is 100% and if they do give that we can't ask for anything more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Bottlers
    Management and players are nothing but bottlers

O Dowd should have went last year
    Another year wasted with him in charge

Fuming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Ah would you ever f¥ck off Meath. Pain in my bollox with this sh1te at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

At least the agony won't be prolonged. We should give a bye in the qualifiers from now on, after our annual thrashing from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Another spin home after watching us throwing away another half time lead, unfortunately its a fairly predictable outcome now over the last couple of years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

What a surprise. Good first half team but nothing else. O'Dowd needs to go

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Well I had one thing right in my earlier post, management wouldn't last another year if we lost.

But the second half collapse thing that's been going on for 3 years at least. It's completely inexcusable for both the players and the management to allow it to continue. It's no surprise really that fans are disillusioned with the whole thing.

Well I had one thing right in my earlier post, management wouldn't last another year if we lost.

But the second half collapse thing that's been going on for 3 years at least. It's completely inexcusable for both the players and the management to allow it to continue. It's no surprise really that fans are disillusioned with the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Think I read there earlier it was the 9th time in a row that Meath have been out scored in the second half in championship football - so not including the leagues collapses this year either. That is horrific for our so called never say die attitude. And in the same week as the 25th anniversary of the 4 game saga, where do we go from here?

To be fair to O'Dowd, can't be all his fault. Players need to take responsibility as well. Once again, when we least need it, paddy boots a kick out over the sideline. No characters to step up when the heat is on. Light weight forwards getting pushed off the ball. An immobile midfield when think the odd high catch is enough.

I would get down on both knees and beg Andy McEntee to come in. There would be no bull**** or acting the clown with him around. You either wanna play for him and Meath or you go away. We also need to avoid the bad injuries that plague us, McEntee and McGill were big losses and I would hope that Menton comes back into the fold.

Oh well, we'll come back next year with the same hope and optimism. Roll on the club championships, assume they'll be back on track fairly rapidly now

Feel incredibly sorry for anyone who travelled up to watch that. The only silver lining is MOD going right away, at least there won't be weeks of speculation and talk now. I think it's important to tie thenext manager down sooner than later so he can get a good look at the club championship. Just hope its the right person whoever comes in.

Can anyone shed light on why Newman and Keogan came off? I tried listening to LMFM but the line they use is absymal and I couldn't hear it with the kids running around so was only following on Twitter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

I only follow the hurlers now

Current Meath senior footballers should have the stars deleted from their jerseys, walking round like peacocks as if they earned them, first thing the new manager should do is delete the stars and tell the current players that they will need to earn theirs
    Also, time to restore authentic animosity for the opposition, too many clowns think the opposition are their pals, they can be their pals down the road, this is senior inter county football, time to get serious or get out.

LMFM forget it, worse sports broadcasters on planet earth you will not find

Said it on this thread before 'Meath are the new cavan' others laughed, it's the truth now, living on long past glories.

Why did I spend my entire Saturday watching that utter tripe? I'm just sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Why did I spend my entire Saturday watching that utter tripe? I'm just sick of it.

I'm consoling myself with the fact i knew at half time what probably would happen so would be ready for it when it did.....but i wasnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Surprising result. Thought Meath were up for a quarter final this year.

Not that either is a valid excuse but is it a lack of training & prep why they're falling off in games or is it just a case of outright bottling it?

Advertisement