Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

What games have we bottled now? Roscommon last year, Westmeath last year, Cavan this year, Galway this year and now today. The collapse in the second half wasn't surprising at all. Was a bit perplexed how RTE were calling it a shock result.
    Funny how the first year and a bit under MOD were promising (despite the annual Monaghan hammering). But I don't think this team has been the same since the Dublin hammering in 2014. MOD probably should have gone last year as this year was a complete write off.
    The subs over the last couple of games were just bizarre. Jones came on for his debut two weeks ago and not a sight of him today. Keogan was obviously injured when he came off but why would you bring Sean Tobin on for him? Tormey for Newman was puzzling as well. Tormey was at fault for the goal.

Thank god for the hurlers' success. At least they wore the shirt with pride.

Onwards to the club championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Stick to the hurling lads

I'm sorry to say this but Ye're football team just don't care whether they win or not....

Apparently they trained very hard all yr.... But training is nothing or at least tells you nothing about a player/team.... wanting to win when the pressure comes on tells you everything..... Meath.. Galway hurlers... Mayo footballers... All in the same boat I'm afraid.....

Stick to the hurling.... At least they want to win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Six years today since *that* Leinster final. Feels a lifetime ago

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

rpurfield wrote: »
    Six years today since *that* Leinster final. Feels a lifetime ago

And ya know what, we've never recovered from it unfortunately. Some might say karma :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭paul71

paul71 wrote: »
    For those of you who don't watch laoismans ranking threads, which I find to be extremely accurate, it is interesting to note we are currently ranked 15th in football and 17th in hurling. I am wondering if it is possible with a CR cup win that hurlers could overtake footballers.

And it has come to pass we are now ranked 18th in Football and 16th in Hurling. A fair reflection too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

It makes Gerry McEntee's remark last year about burning all the hurls in Meath a tad foolish - maybe it's time to burst the footballs :rolleyes:

I posted elsewhere that having seen yiz in Parnell & CP this year that the signs were encouraging, I just can't fathom the 2nd half nosedive it has to be a psychological thing.

It's easy be wise after the fact and spin a situation to your own pov - according to the BIL there was a bit of talk of discontent during/after the Derry game. But anyways a new broom will sweep clean, hopefully you'll get yer best 15 on the pitch next year - best of luck it's in the games interest to have a strong Meath football team

Obrieski wrote: »
    And ya know what, we've never recovered from it unfortunately. Some might say karma :(

Makes a change from someone blaming the oléing against Kerry in 01 ;) There's very few of that 2010 team left around now it really shouldn't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Micko should be praised for his efforts. Fair enough he is leaving the team in a fragile state mentally speaking but if the next man in can address that, then I think Meath should be well able to win Division 2. I don't think there is a drastic need to go searching the county for new talent - what's there is plenty good enough to work with and Micko has done a good job bringing them this far. A lot of the time all we were missing was a stroke of good luck. Second half collapses will define Mick's reign but for 2 years running this Meath team drew a game that had they won, would've resulted in promotion. Likewise this year, had we beaten Cavan, we'd have went up. Not to mention hard away draws to Tyrone and Derry. The team had several ups and downs but the Westmeath game last year was where it completely unraveled. Still you'd have to say with players like Keogan, Harnan and O'Sullivan, Meath have a couple of lads capable of matching anyone and there's a lot to be said for the experienced players like O'Rourke, Burke, Tobin, Reilly and Newman who, let's be fair have endured plenty of hard days but they've given their all to the cause. Let's hope by the August County Board meeting, the search for a replacement is well under way and by September, someone can be ratified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Green_Tae

Micko should be praised for his efforts. Fair enough he is leaving the team in a fragile state mentally speaking but if the next man in can address that, then I think Meath should be well able to win Division 2. I don't think there is a drastic need to go searching the county for new talent - what's there is plenty good enough to work with and Micko has done a good job bringing them this far. A lot of the time all we were missing was a stroke of good luck. Second half collapses will define Mick's reign but for 2 years running this Meath team drew a game that had they won, would've resulted in promotion. Likewise this year, had we beaten Cavan, we'd have went up. Not to mention hard away draws to Tyrone and Derry. The team had several ups and downs but the Westmeath game last year was where it completely unraveled. Still you'd have to say with players like Keogan, Harnan and O'Sullivan, Meath have a couple of lads capable of matching anyone and there's a lot to be said for the experienced players like O'Rourke, Burke, Tobin, Reilly and Newman who, let's be fair have endured plenty of hard days but they've given their all to the cause. Let's hope by the August County Board meeting, the search for a replacement is well under way and by September, someone can be ratified.

Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Howya Micko ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

DoctaDee wrote: »
    It makes Gerry McEntee's remark last year about burning all the hurls in Meath a tad foolish - maybe it's time to burst the footballs :rolleyes:

I posted elsewhere that having seen yiz in Parnell & CP this year that the signs were encouraging, I just can't fathom the 2nd half nosedive it has to be a psychological thing.

It's easy be wise after the fact and spin a situation to your own pov - according to the BIL there was a bit of talk of discontent during/after the Derry game. But anyways a new broom will sweep clean, hopefully you'll get yer best 15 on the pitch next year - best of luck it's in the games interest to have a strong Meath football team

I expected a lot more for Meath this year also and I agree it could well be a psychological thing. Players put Meath in winning positions and then appeared to freeze, make silly decisions on the ball. I dont blame Mick O'Dowd that is too easy. Player have to shoulder an amount of the blame. Dublin and Leinster need a Meath team in the shake up.

I suspect though it could be 3 or 4 years away. Things have changed a lot in last decade and it takes time to adopt. Meath have too often relied on the fire in the bellies but that only gets you so far and todays referees would not be able to handle a Meath Dublin game like 20 years ago.

There is some exceptional young talent in Meath a lot of them, if THEY apply themselves right will make a big difference in a few years time but it wont be quite the style G.A.A. folk associate with Meath.

Anyway a great year for the hurlers and with the work been done at under-age level they will get better in next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

More good news on the hurling front at least. U-16 hurlers have qualified for the A section of a high level U-16 competition. Lots of work being done at all levels underage which is promising. Great to see them in with the top 12 at this level. Would be brilliant if sometime in the next 5 years we were able to hold our own at senior level in Leinster and maybe get a few high profile qualifier games.

https://twitter.com/tipperarybng/status/755484067341144064

Draws for the Leinster club championships have been made:

SFC QF
    Offaly/Wexford v Meath

IFC QF
    Wicklow/Wexford v Meath

IHC QF
    Meath (SHC) v Wexford (with winners playing Kilkenny champions)

JFC R1
    Meath v Longford (winners play Laois/Kilkenny champions)

JHC R1
    Meath (IHC) v Carlow (winners play Offaly champions)

You would assume that the Meath SFC winners will play the Offaly champions. Given the Meath champions' troubles in Leinster recently, I wouldn't be holding out much hope.

SHC
    Blackhall Gaels 1-15
    St. Peter's Dunboyne 2-9

That must've been quite satisfying for the Gaels :pac:

So McEntee is interested...
    Let's hope the county board don't screw this up.

:confused:

Petition time, to be presented to county board?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

A petition asking for what?

A petition asking for what?

Since I quoted a post which said McEntee was interested in the position I would have thought that was glaringly obvious.:confused::confused:

But since it doesn't seem to be then the answer to your question is this.

We the undersigned GAA members of The clubs of Meath by way of this petition request that Andy McEntee be appointed to the position of manager of the counties' senior football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The county board answer to the clubs and no one else. Self appointed representatives of Meath supporters can't try to influence the county board with petitions.

If the county board were to bow to petitions when making major decisions we'd end up constantly reelecting Seán Boylan.

The county board answer to the clubs and no one else. Self appointed representatives of Meath supporters can't try to influence the county board with petitions.

I am afraid that is the issue and just because it has never been done before does not mean it should not, there is nothing self appointed about a petition, it would only be so if no-one signed it.

The club delegates have made three disastrous decisions of the 4 appointments since Boylans retirement, and in view of that they would be cautious of ignoring the will of club members in their next decision should a petition garner enough signatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Let's not build up McEntee as a second coming that'll solve everything.
    He's a great CV and the job is as good as his anyway but it'll take more than another senior county managerial appointment to change the problems that infest Meath.

paul71 wrote: »
    I am afraid that is the issue and just because it has never been done before does not mean it should not, there is nothing self appointed about a petition, it would only be so if no-one signed it.

The club delegates have made three disastrous decisions of the 4 appointments since Boylans retirement, and in view of that they would be cautious of ignoring the will of club members in their next decision should a petition garner enough signatures.

The delegates are mandated by their club executive who are mandated by members. If club delegates are on solo runs then them clubs aren't run very well. It would be more productive for members of clubs to lobby their committees than engage in petitions where anyone can sign.

iDave wrote: »
    Let's not build up McEntee as a second coming that'll solve everything.
    He's a great CV and the job is as good as his anyway but it'll take more than another senior county managerial appointment to change the problems that infest Meath.

Best point on this page in a while.

We could have Mickey Harte, Sean Boylan and Jim Gavin in charge at the minute but if the players don't wake up it'll be a waste. Hopefully, McEntee (should he be voted in) will provide a little more steel and grit into the players that hasn't been there in a long time. One thing for sure is, based on my limited knowledge of the man, he will take no s**t and people will earn their spots!

But, do we have the players is my real concern and having watched a lot of games over the last number of years in club championships, I am not so sure.

The way I see it, we've had the players to be way ahead of the likes of Cavan, Derry, Galway this year. It stands to reason that we have the players to finish the job. We definitely have the players to make it to the All Ireland quarter finals anyway or at least to win a game in the qualifiers (which we haven't done since 2011). We're obviously way off the top teams but I'd settle for a bit of fight and not surrendering meekly like we've done in the last couple of years.

A bit of a long shot, but if McEntee was to get the job, I wonder if he'd try and tempt Shane Clayton of Ballyboden to come back to Meath :pac:

Anyone know the story with Navan O'Mahony's giving a walkover in division 1 of the league? Surely they were able to field a team.
    Kildare minors through to an All Ireland semi final. Would like to see them go all the way for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EvilJanuzaj

IF anyone's going to screw it up, it would be the Meath country board. McEntee is the obvious candidate, I mean how can they not pick him given his CV? Or do they want another puppet like O'Dowd in charge?

MCEntee the only choice in my opinion. The only reason I see them not choosing him is that when he's interview he'll obviously present his ideas, goals etc.. It'd be just typical of the Meath county board to say no on the the basis that it will cost too much money to do what he wants..

I remember when Colm O'Rourke was rejected under similar circumstances some years ago, that it would cost too much money to implement his ideas - well given how far Meath has fallen behind, it'll cost them a lot more now just to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Looks like we'll have a few bucks thrown our way
    http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=259044

Picked up the Chronicle today and they said the nominations haven't been announced yet with the bank holiday but the names they had from clubs one suprising one was Shane McAnerney. God knows who's on the full list but McEntee would be the best of those mentioned in the article.

Just on that coaching article, that's good to see something being done. The problem in our club anyway is that there is a massive amount of kids from about under 12 down and a gap at the older age groups where the numbers aren't as big. We got a coaching officer in, it's something that should be looked at in most clubs. Until ourselves or Kildare, or any of the other Leinster counties can produce underage teams winning regular then Dublin will have a free run at senior

According to the Sun (I think) Andy McEntee is proposing having Gerry McEntee, Donal Curtis and Finian Murtagh involved in his back room team. Murtagh is a name I recognise but can't pinpoint what he has done but if the other 3 were involved the Meath team certainly wouldn't be prancing around thinking they're great that's for sure!

• Advertisement

I think Murtagh was a selector with McEntee's minor team the year after they made the AI final.
    I've heard that Gerry McEntee is retiring as a surgeon so may have the time now to commit to the Meath senior set up.

U21 hurlers start off against their conquerors last season, Wicklow, in Trim on Saturday at 2pm.

Advertisement