Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I think Murtagh was a selector with McEntee's minor team the year after they made the AI final.
    I've heard that Gerry McEntee is retiring as a surgeon so may have the time now to commit to the Meath senior set up.

U21 hurlers start off against their conquerors last season, Wicklow, in Trim on Saturday at 2pm.

Heard the same about Gerry McEntee myself, the backroom team is certainly interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Obrieski wrote: »
    According to the Sun (I think) Andy McEntee is proposing having Gerry McEntee, Donal Curtis and Finian Murtagh involved in his back room team. Murtagh is a name I recognise but can't pinpoint what he has done but if the other 3 were involved the Meath team certainly wouldn't be prancing around thinking they're great that's for sure!

Murtagh was on the Meath team of the mid eighties, think he got replaced by David Beggy in 1987

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Championship results from this evening:

Senior Football Championship
    Dunshaughlin 0-16 Wolfe Tones 1-12

Junior A Football Championship
    Skryne 3-24 Simonstown 1-10

Junior B Football Championship
    Moynalty 1-9 St Vincents 0-11

Junior C Football Championship Quarter Final
    St Michaels 2-12 Syddan 1-9

Junior D Football Championship Quarter Finals
    Ballinlough 6-12 Dunboyne 1-13

Gaeil Colmcille 7-19 Kilmainham 0-2

U21 hurlers into the All Ireland B semi final after beating reigning champions Wicklow 1-22 to 12 points in Trim. Jack Regan got 15 points. He'll be an important player in next year's Liam McCarthy you'd feel.
    They'll most likely play Kerry in the semi final.

Curraha player collapsed during their IFC game with Drumbaragh. No word yet of how he's doing but hope to God he's ok

• Advertisement

Danny Battersby is in a stable condition in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Danny Battersby is in a stable condition in hospital.

Best of luck to him. Very sad to hear something like that.

In other news the McEntee ticket has been ratified.

Good to see McEntee ratified and no messing, I'm just finished reading stuff on Twitter and Facebook and I'm seriously concerned that people think he's the second coming and we will be knocking the Dubs off their perch next year. Anyone with sense knows that won't be the case but when reality bites I really hope the knives don't come out too quick. To compare it the crowd at the Ring final replay were a joy, even when things were looking grim they were still behind the team. There was games in the last year or two with the footballers where the atmosphere was just poisonous when things weren't going well. All we can hope for is the right backroom team comes in, they get all they need off the board to prepare for the season and games properly and fans get behind them.

On another note, shocking news about Danny Battersby, his dad runs the pub here in Stamullen and he worked behind the bar at times. Best wishes to the lad hopefully he pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

The county board answer to the clubs and no one else. Self appointed representatives of Meath supporters can't try to influence the county board with petitions.

If the county board were to bow to petitions when making major decisions we'd end up constantly reelecting Se n Boylan.

Boylan wouldn't have don't any worse than all of his successors anyway!

I remember at the time of his retirement thinking that the timing was right but I met him a couple of years ago and he was still as sharp and energetic as ever. Legend of a man.

McEntee continuing as Ballyboden manager for the time being it seems.
    They claim on Twitter he'll be there to defend their All Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

rpurfield wrote: »
    On another note, shocking news about Danny Battersby, his dad runs the pub here in Stamullen and he worked behind the bar at times. Best wishes to the lad hopefully he pulls through.

Yeah best wishes to Danny and his family from all us here across the border, good GAA people and a good pub

The hurlers will play Kerry and Laois at home and Westmeath away in the Leinster SHC round robin next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

3 very tough games in that hurling, and even worse that our preparation is playing in 2B of the league. Kerry seemed to burn themselves out while doing well in the league this year and by the time the championship came around they couldn't repeat their performances. Hopefully something similar happens next year and we catch them at that level.

I'd imagine there will be a massive overhaul in the panel for next year as a few talented club hurlers will suddenly reckon the Meath team is now worth their time. Unfair on the team who made it happen this year, but we need our best out there.

On the football, as good an appointment as any, but I think people are bigging Andy up a bit much. I don't see much better than a QF in the players Meath have currently, and certainly not the players to beat Dublin. I know it galls some people to see Tipp in a semi final while we lose in the qualifiers, but they've been doing phenomenal underage work for the last few years winning Munsters and competing in All Ireland finals, whereas aside from the odd good minor year we have little underage success.

It's also interesting to see fans reactions to the appointment. A lot the sentiment nearly seems vengeful or malicious towards our players, as if they're relishing the thought of a tough manager punishing the team till they succeed. A very "Until morale improves, the beatings will continue" vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭paul71

According to the Sun (I think) Andy McEntee is proposing having Gerry McEntee, Donal Curtis and Finian Murtagh involved in his back room team. Murtagh is a name I recognise but can't pinpoint what he has done but if the other 3 were involved the Meath team certainly wouldn't be prancing around thinking they're great that's for sure!

Finian Murtagh was a very very classy forward, age caught him before the 87' and '88 success (think he was still in the panel) but imo was a far better player then Beggy who did get his position. He also played at corner forward but in fairness was not as good as Flynn or O'Rourke. I think he was O'Mahonys.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

paul71 wrote: »

Finian Murtagh was a very very classy forward, age caught him before the 87' and '88 success (think he was still in the panel) but imo was a far better player then Beggy who did get his position. He also played at corner forward but in fairness was not as good as Flynn or O'Rourke. I think he was O'Mahonys.

http://youtu.be/7Q65ovD6zpo
    You can see (albeit, a very short bit of footage of) him here.
    He also played in the '91 saga against Dublin, in the final game where we had a lot of injuries.
    He was very similar to Paddy Gilsenan in style and physicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

pipelaser wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/7Q65ovD6zpo
    You can see (albeit, a very short bit of footage of) him here.
    He also played in the '91 saga against Dublin, in the final game where we had a lot of injuries.
    He was very similar to Paddy Gilsenan in style and physicality.

Lovely to see that clip. Lads played football then, not like the s***e that's served up as gaelic football today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭paul71

mattser wrote: »
    Lovely to see that clip. Lads played football then, not like the s***e that's served up as gaelic football today.

Agreed the days when referees called people for overcarries and a defender could defend.
    Made for football as it was meant to be played, kick the ball long and may the best player win it.

Finally got our first win in the SFC. Sorry rpurfield :pac:

Results so far this weekend:

SFC

Blackhall Gaels 1-9 Rathkenny 0-11

Ratoath 0-19 St Pats 1-8

Dunshaughlin 3-17 Moynalvey 2-3

IFC

Trim 4-16 Oldcastle 0-10

St Michaels 2-12 Donaghmore Ashbourne 0-11

Curraha 1-10 Kilmainham 0-10

Walterstown 4-27 Longwood 1-11

JFC
    Carnaross 2-18 O'Mahonys 0-8

Dunboyne 4-15 St Brigids 3-6

Clann Na nGael 4-11 Wolfe Tones 0-11

JBFC
    Moynalvey 0-13 Walterstown 2-5

Moynalty 1-18 St Marys 2-6

Trim 3-8 St Vincents 0-7

Slane 7-16 Dunboyne 1-3

Donaghmore Ashbourne 2-13 Nobber 1-8

Also, the minor hurlers are through to the MHC B final against Kerry after trouncing Wicklow 8-25 to 11 points.
    Seems to be a massive improvement in underage hurling recently. Even around GAA clubs there seems to be far more youngsters pucking a sliothar around than there used to be.

Finally got our first win in the SFC. Sorry rpurfield :pac:

Didn't make it in the end, none of the kids would come because they were out with their mates and hadn't had dinner. Glad I didn't it's honestly looking grim again this year anyway, which is mad considering we are doing well in the league

• Advertisement

Didn't make it either but was getting updates. Supposedly ye were missing your best forward (Landy?) which meant ye missed some handy frees.

I know ye drew with Duleek but I can't see ye losing the remaining games by more than Duleek do. They were abysmal when I saw them.

Great to see Trim winning so well. A return to senior would be appreciated.

Saw Martin Ennis walking away from Croker today. Glad to see his ambitious and scoping out next years opposition ;)

Didn't make it either but was getting updates. Supposedly ye were missing your best forward (Landy?) which meant ye missed some handy frees.

I know ye drew with Duleek but I can't see ye losing the remaining games by more than Duleek do. They were abysmal when I saw them.

Aye Don/Ashbourne put 21 points on them today, pretty grim that. I heard the Landy lad and one or two others were off on holidays alright, terrible thing isn't it young lads living their lives instead of leaving them at the whim of the Meath CCC!!!!! Speaking of holidays I was told Duleek got the game moved from Friday to today because Graham Geraghty had a game with Clann NaGael Friday too, and Podge Howard was off on his holidays today and missing too, he'd be one of their better players.

Junior Championship knockout stages:

Preliminary quarter-final
    Summerhill v Dunboyne, Sunday 21/8/16, Dunshaughlin, 11.30am

Quarter-finals
    Skryne v Dunshaughlin, Monday 22/8/16, Ashbourne, 7.30pm
    Bective v Clann na nGael
    Carnaross v Seneschalstown
    Dunsany v Summerhill or Dunboyne

Semi-finals
    Dunsany or Summerhill or Dunboyne v Skryne or Dunshaughlin
    Bective or Clann na nGael v Carnaross or Seneschalstown

Doesn't look good when more than half of the teams in the JFC knockouts are reserve senior teams. Even worse when all three teams up for relegation are first teams (Clonard, Drumconrath and St. Brigids). I wouldn't be surprised if there are 9 of 18 teams in the JFC next year that are second teams.

You don't deserve to win a championship if the best 15 footballers in your club cant beat a team of players who can't get into the top 20 of their own club.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Junior Championship knockout stages:

Preliminary quarter-final
    Summerhill v Dunboyne, Sunday 21/8/16, Dunshaughlin, 11.30am

Quarter-finals
    Skryne v Dunshaughlin, Monday 22/8/16, Ashbourne, 7.30pm
    Bective v Clann na nGael
    Carnaross v Seneschalstown
    Dunsany v Summerhill or Dunboyne

Semi-finals
    Dunsany or Summerhill or Dunboyne v Skryne or Dunshaughlin
    Bective or Clann na nGael v Carnaross or Seneschalstown

Doesn't look good when more than half of the teams in the JFC knockouts are reserve senior teams. Even worse when all three teams up for relegation are first teams (Clonard, Drumconrath and St. Brigids). I wouldn't be surprised if there are 9 of 18 teams in the JFC next year that are second teams.

How do Brigids manage to find themselves in this position almost every year I wonder? Always have solid league form yet collapse when it comes to championship. Have to agree that if clubs aren't beating/competing with second teams they have no business being in the junior A championship. Hard to see anything other than a Dunsany v Bective final.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

iDave wrote: »
    Great to see Trim winning so well. A return to senior would be appreciated.

Saw Martin Ennis walking away from Croker today. Glad to see his ambitious and scoping out next years opposition ;)

https://twitter.com/MeathGAA/status/765489053206769665

I presume Martin Ennis being reinstated will just be a formality, but will be interesting to see if there are any other candidates nominated.

Well, as recently as April people were calling for Ennis to be fired and a new team brought in for damage limitation in the Christy Ring. Losing to Armagh and Mayo in the league didn't bode well for a team with ambitions of reaching Liam MacCarthy hurling.

I would imagine, like you say that he'll just be reinstated without fuss.

Big big year for Meath next year, it's vital we finally get out of division 2B. On top of that we need survival in the SHC, where we will be heavy underdogs in all of our group games. The team effectively need to perform their best all the way from February to May.

You don't deserve to win a championship if the best 15 footballers in your club cant beat a team of players who can't get into the top 20 of their own club.
    I think it's more the unfairness of reserve teams playing exceptionally strong teams (for JFC) in the first round or two of the championship before those players get SFC game time making them ineligible for the rest of the JFC. It means whichever team is unfortunate enough to get them in round 1 is at a distinct disadvantage to a team that gets the same team in round 6.

• Advertisement

Team named for the U21 B HC semi final against Kerry tomorrow at 3pm:

Charlie Brid; Conor Dempsey, Iarla Hughes, Liam Ferguson; Sean Coloe, Ronan Ryan, David Reilly; Luke Martyn, Sean McGrath; Jack Regan, Fergal McCabe, Stefan Kelly; Ryan Moore, Gavin McGowan, Ross Ryan.

Advertisement