Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Provisional NFL fixtures for 2017

Meath v Kildare February 5th
    Meath v Derry February 12th
    Down v Meath February 25th
    Meath v Galway March 5th
    Cork v Meath March 19th
    Meath v Fermanagh March 26th
    Clare v Meath April 2nd

4 home fixtures (including three of our first four games) which is a big advantage. I also see that they've done away with the 3 week break between the second and third games.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

There's no reason we shouldn't be aiming for 4 wins out of 4 home games. We should be equal at least to all of those teams and home advantage would be a plus for us.

The away games v Down and Clare we should also be aiming for positive results while away to Cork may be the hardest fixture.

Don't think I'm being too optimistic, everyone in Division 2 is there for a reason and everyone is capable of beating everyone else. Meath need to be aiming for the step up to Div 1 however.

Have the floodlights in Pairc Tailteann been sorted? Presumably all our home fixtures will be afternoon fixtures if not

Hibbeler wrote: »
    There's no reason we shouldn't be aiming for 4 wins out of 4 home games. We should be equal at least to all of those teams and home advantage would be a plus for us.

The away games v Down and Clare we should also be aiming for positive results while away to Cork may be the hardest fixture.

Don't think I'm being too optimistic, everyone in Division 2 is there for a reason and everyone is capable of beating everyone else. Meath need to be aiming for the step up to Div 1 however.

Have the floodlights in Pairc Tailteann been sorted? Presumably all our home fixtures will be afternoon fixtures if not
    No idea. There's been total radio silence about the floodlights for months. No floodlights means no televised games which means less money from Tayto again so we really should be aiming to get them back up.
    Two years in a row (2014 and 2015) we were one slightly better result away from promotion. Consistently good performances (as opposed to our usual very good performance followed by dross) with no capitulations should give us every chance.

Oddly enough the hurlers are down as having 4 out of their 5 games at home:

Allianz HL Division 2B
    Round 1
    Saturday 11 February - Meath v Down

Round 2
    Sunday 19 February - Meath v Derry

Round 3
    Sunday 5 March - Donegal v Meath

Round 4
    Sunday 12 March - Meath v Mayo

Round 5
    Sunday 26 March - Meath v Wicklow

Another case of promotion or bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'm surprised to see Donegal there, they were desperately out of their depth in the division.

Have they been resurrected? http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/rossies-seal-promotion-as-late-omeara-strike-denies-donegal-34615730.html

• Advertisement

I'm surprised to see Donegal there, they were desperately out of their depth in the division.

Have they been resurrected? http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/rossies-seal-promotion-as-late-omeara-strike-denies-donegal-34615730.html
    Hmmmm take those fixtures with a piece of salt then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I read the football fixtures yesterday and I'm insanely positive about them. Having two home games first is a great start, especially when they are two you'd not like to have away. Trying to keep the optimism down but I really think we'd have a decent shout of going up.

rpurfield wrote: »
    I read the football fixtures yesterday and I'm insanely positive about them. Having two home games first is a great start, especially when they are two you'd not like to have away. Trying to keep the optimism down but I really think we'd have a decent shout of going up.
    It's the hope that kills you.

Championship results from tonight

IFC preliminary quarter-final
    Curraha 2-15 Oldcastle 1-15

JFC semi-final
    Dunsany 4-12 Skryne 0-6

JFC relegation play-off 1
    Drumconrath 1-9 Clonard 2-3

Dunsany into another final. Really hope they do it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Vincents bet us well in the Junior B quarter final yesterday in what the person running the Cilles Twitter called the East Meath Classico! I couldn't make it due to family commitments but from what I was hearing during the week the panel was down to bare bones with injuries, lads called up to play senior in earlier rounds and holidays. Second year in a row the juniors went out at the quarter stage, last year it was to Seneschalstown who eventually won it. All we have left now is the B league final, a dead rubber against Summerhill in the SFC and a league semi against the same team. I know which one of the two games I'd rather be winning with them anyway.

• Advertisement

SHC Quarter Finals
    Trim 3-20 Blackhall Gaels 1-12
    Kildalkey 4-18 St. Peter's Dunboyne 0-15

SHC Relegation playoff
    Clann na nGael 1-14 Navan O'Mahony's 0-16

IHC Quarter Finals
    Gaeil Colmcille 1-15 Drumree 0-12
    Na Fianna 2-11 Wolfe Tones 1-9

IFC Relegation Playoff
    Cortown 0-10 Longwood 0-9

JFC Semi Final
    Bective 2-13 Carnaross 0-7

JBFC Quarter Final
    St. Vincents 0-18 St. Patrick's 1-7

JCFC Semi Final
    Dunsany 3-11 Duleek/Bellewstown 1-10

JDFC Final
    Moynalty 3-20 Ballinlough 2-9

So the first adult championship title goes to Moynalty in winning the Junior D championship.
    No great surprises in the SHC quarter finals. Though a bit of a surprise to see NOM's hurlers get relegated.
    SHC Semi finals are:
    Trim v Killyon
    Kiltale v Kildalkey

Big win for Cortown in the IFC relegation playoff. They'll play Drumbaragh next Friday in the second relegation playoff.

Assuming the teams from the same groups are kept apart in the IHC, the semi finals will look like this:
    Ratoath v Na Fianna
    Kilskyre/Moylagh v Gaeil Colmcille

Bective easily made the JFC Final. Surprisingly, despite them being there or thereabouts for many years, this will be Bective's first JFC final appearance since they won the JFC back in 1997. While Bective will be favourites, Dunsany's experience in finals will definitely be an advantage.

Meath Senior Football Championship
    Seneschalstown 0-10 Ballinlough 0-9

Ratoath 4-14 Duleek Bellewstown 0-10

Intermediate Football Championship Quarter Final
    Ballinabrackey 0-11 Donaghmore Ashbourne 1-7

Intermediate Football Championship Relegation Play off
    Longwood 3-13 Drumbaragh 1-10

Junior B Football Championship Quarter Final
    Trim 3-11 St Colmcilles 2-8

So we retain our Senior status thanks to an easy win against Duleek/Bellewstown. I'd be amazed if they stay up. We really need to improve our back line if we're to challenge for senior honours in future.

Big win for the Bracks. Drumbaragh staring down the barrell now. They need to beat Cortown by 6 next weekend to stay up. Longwood are safe.

Senior Football Championship
    Summerhill 4-14 St. Pat's 0-08
    St. Peter's Dunboyne 1-11 Donaghmore/Ashbourne 1-08

Intermediate Football Championship Quarter Finals
    Dunderry 2-09 Trim 0-07
    Walterstown 0-14 Syddan 0-11

Junior A Football Championship Relegation Playoff
    St. Brigid's 3-7 Clonard 1-10

Junior B Football Championship Quarter Final
    Moynalty 1-11 Gaeil Colmcille 1-8

Dunboyne recovered from the loss to Pats to top the group. Summerhill against Pats was a dead rubber. A lot of Pats' players didn't really look bothered given they had nothing to play for.

Bit of a surprise in Dunderry easily beating Trim in the IFC.
    Clonard back down to Junior B. You'd wonder if Adam Flanagan will look to jump ship.

Dunsany fall short again. Bective are Junior Football Champions after a 15 points to 12 win over Dunsany.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

So will Cork be hounded into offering a replay or is that just something that happens to Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

iDave wrote: »
    So will Cork be hounded into offering a replay or is that just something that happens to Meath.

I am sure they will make some special allowance seeing as its the Dubs ;)

iDave wrote: »
    I think, just to be safe, the Meath ladies' football team should be gathered together and called every name under the sun!

Big day in the championships:

Senior Football Championship
    Moynalvey 2-15 Wolfe Tones 0-16
    Dunshaughlin 0-12 Navan O’Mahonys 1-7
    Gaeil Colmcille 3-7 Blackhall Gaels 1-8
    Skryne 3-7 Rathkenny 1-9
    Simonstown 3-11 Na Fianna 0-8

Intermediate Football Championship Quarter Final
    St Colmcilles 1-17 Curraha 1-11

Junior A Football Championship Final
    Bective 0-15 Dunsany 0-12

Junior C Football Championship Final
    Na Fianna 2-24 Dunsany 0-7

Biggest shock is NOM are out. They needed to beat Dunshaughlin to get through to the knockouts. NOM were 6 points to 1 down at half time yet were a point ahead after 4 minutes of the second half. Maybe the SFC winners will give a bit of effort in Leinster this time.
    Wolfe Tones are joining both Ballinlough and Duleek/Bellewstown in the relegation playoffs. You'd expect them to be safe enough though. They'll be glad the new proposals were shelved.
    Big win for Simonstown. Their quarter final with Dunboyne could be a great one.

Next rounds are:
    SFC Preliminary Quarter Final
    Donaghmore Ashbourne v Dunshaughlin

SFC Quarter Finals
    Preliminary winner v Seneschalstown
    Dunboyne v Simonstown
    Na Fianna v Gaeil Colmcille
    Summerhill v Skryne

Colmcilles will surely do it this year in the IFC. I can't see any of the three remaining teams beating them.
    IFC Semi Finals
    St Colmcilles v Walterstown
    Ballinabrackey v Dunderry

Dunsany have lost their 5th JFC final since the turn of the century. Have to feel for them.
    Not a good day for Dunsany as they were comfortably beaten in the Junior C final today by Na Fianna.

20 years ago today, Mayo started a fight and Meath finished it :pac:
    Oh and we won the All Ireland

Never think that Brendan Reilly's winning point gets the credit it deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

20 years ago today, Mayo started a fight and Meath finished it

And you tell the Dubs and Mayo fans not to be starting :D:D:D:D:D

SFC Preliminary Quarter Final
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne 1-17 Dunshaughlin 1-10

IHC Semi Finals
    Ratoath 1-14 Na Fianna 1-12
    Kilskyre/Moylagh 1-14 Gaeil Colmcille 1-8

IFC Relegation Playoff #3
    Drumbaragh 2-12 Cortown 1-8 (Cortown are relegated)

Junior B Football Semi Finals
    Moynalty 2-11 Trim 1-11
    St. Vincents 0-10 Slane 1-6

Ratoath into the IHC final :D
    To be honest, it could have been a much bigger margin but for the 16 wides we hit.
    In the other game, Kells were 5 points to 4 up at half time but just never showed up for the second half. After 20 minutes of the second half, Kilskyre were 1-13 to 6 points up. Should be an intriguing final.

Drumbaragh managed the great escape in the IFC. They had to beat Cortown by 6 or more to survive and they won by 7.

It'll be a St. Vincent's v Moynalty Junior B final. Slane looked like they were going to cruise to the title this year after scoring 20-83 in total in their games so far yet only managed 1-6 against Vincent's today.

• Advertisement

SFC Quarter Final
    Skryne 1-11 Summerhill 0-9

IFC Semi Finals
    Dunderry 1-12 Ballinabrackey 0-10
    St Colmcilles 2-19 Walterstown 0-16 AET

Cilles forced extra time late in injury time before easily going through in extra time.

We have Dublin in the minor and Westmeath in u21 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭paul71

20 years ago today, Mayo started a fight and Meath finished it :pac:
    Oh and we won the All Ireland

Never think that Brendan Reilly's winning point gets the credit it deserved.

One of the sweetest I have ever seen, flicked rolling ball up off the ground into hand with a marker on. Turned has man brilliantly and sweet left foot from the 22 5 yards from the sideline, top it all he looked lazy doing it, Reilly was a touch of class overshadowed by the names around him.

Bective beat Cashel of Longford in their Leinster Junior club championship by 2-8 to 10 points. They'll play Rosenallis of Laois in the quarter final.

Kiltale are through to the SHC final after a 2-16 to 2-12 win over Kildalkey.

Dunboyne are out!!!

Simonstown now surely favourites after a fantastic 3-16 to 1-17 AET win over St. Peter's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

nice of the county board to put the quarter final match tomorrow on before the Hurling, 1 match for the price of 3

Or 3 for the price of 1?

Gavin McGowan awarded U21B player of the year.

Or 3 for the price of 1?

Nope, only interested in Seneschalstown game

Donaghmore Ashbourne very very impressive earlier, strolled to victory against a very poor Seneschalstown

• Advertisement

Killyon deserved winners today. Should of finished Trim off in normal time without needed ET. Alan Douglas worked his socks off to keep Trim in it.

Advertisement