Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

Gaeil Colmcille through to the semis after a 2-18 to 16 pt win over Na Fianna

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Was Toher injured in the second half Dave? He didn't look 100%. Killyon were the better team, but ye had some bad luck with the woodwork.

Ratoath Intermediate Hurling Champions!! :D
    Hard to believe that Gavin McGowan is only 21. Absolute tank of a player. He ended with 1-5 from play. Given that there are three Pat's lads in the squad, you can celerate too, rpurfield :pac:

Bit of a mad setup for the SFC semis. Would not have expected to see semis without NOM, Summerhill, Na Fianna or Dunboyne. It's anyone's guess who'll win it from here. Think Simonstown would be favourites but they're known for falling flat on their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Not sure if he was injured HA but I remember thinking he wasn't covering as much ground as expected. Still showed great composure to get the point to bring it to ET. Not for the first time this year. As good as any GAA talent in the county.

Congrats to yourself. Another great day for Ratoath.

Great time to be a Ratoath man alright! Very young team so no reason why we can't survive in senior next season.
    We'll play Carlow Town in the Leinster Club JHC on Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Was Toher injured in the second half Dave? He didn't look 100%. Killyon were the better team, but ye had some bad luck with the woodwork.

Ratoath Intermediate Hurling Champions!! :D
    Hard to believe that Gavin McGowan is only 21. Absolute tank of a player. He ended with 1-5 from play. Given that there are three Pat's lads in the squad, you can celerate too, rpurfield :pac:

Bit of a mad setup for the SFC semis. Would not have expected to see semis without NOM, Summerhill, Na Fianna or Dunboyne. It's anyone's guess who'll win it from here. Think Simonstown would be favourites but they're known for falling flat on their faces.

Yeah I noticed ye had a couple of our lads alright!! Good to see the hurling catching on in East Meath now too!!

• Advertisement

Avoided Dublin til the final, if we get there.
    Louth or Wicklow in the quarter final. Win that and it's one of Longford, Laois or Kildare in the semi.

The hurlers will play either Wexford or Offaly in the quarter final. Once we get through the insignificant matter of winning the round robin :pac:

Jaze imagine if the hurlers got a demoralised Offaly in Navan! Just have 2 win 2 games in round robin.

For our weaker code not a bad draw. Louth in Parnell again, probably the lilly****es and maybe a shot at Dublin. Then lose to an Ulster team in the qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

iDave wrote: »
    Jaze imagine if the hurlers got a demoralised Offaly in Navan! Just have 2 win 2 games in round robin.

For our weaker code not a bad draw. Louth in Parnell again, probably the lilly****es and maybe a shot at Dublin. Then lose to an Ulster team in the qualifiers

Well the hurling semi finals last weekend wouldn't make you too optimistic about the hurlers going too far. Kiltale way ahead of the rest and and standard of hurling in the Killyon Trim game not all that great.

Football probably will probably do better next year, with the new management I would hope for & expect a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Just looking out the window this morning and its lashing rain, forecast for the weekend is poor. Surely ta jaysus the county board can try something to get the club championships finished earlier in the year. Sick to death of our counties finals being played nearly in the winter.
    Football and hurling is at its best with a good dry ball and lads are not slipping all over the place reducing the game to a bloody junior D spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Just looking out the window this morning and its lashing rain, forecast for the weekend is poor. Surely ta jaysus the county board can try something to get the club championships finished earlier in the year. Sick to death of our counties finals being played nearly in the winter.
    Football and hurling is at its best with a good dry ball and lads are not slipping all over the place reducing the game to a bloody junior D spectacle.

Easy on there horny. A man has every right to be proud of his D jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

mattser wrote: »
    Easy on there horny. A man has every right to be proud of his D jersey.

True, apologies to all. My last ever medal was a Junior B hurling championship one. At that level of hurling in Meath, you'd want to be able to swing plenty of "timber" :D

Hopefully if Louth beat Wicklow we have pick of the ground this time and have it in Navan.

Looks like Duleek/Bellewstown have survived once again. They beat Ballinlough in the first relegation playoff 11 points to 1-6. Ballinlough now have to beat Tones to have any chance of staying up.

Simonstown into their first final since 2004 after a 13 points to 11 win over Gaeil Comcille.
    St. Vincent's are Junior B champions thanks to a 16 points to 1-8 win against Moynalty.

Graham Reilly sent off after 3 minutes of the Intermediate Final :eek:
    Cilles ahead 6 points to 4 at half time but if they lose, he'll probably have to shoulder a lot of the blame.

3 minutes left.
    12 points each.

Draw game. Biggy breathes a huge sigh of relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Draw game. Biggy breathes a huge sigh of relief.

Cilles should have won, kicked some bad wides especially 1st half, i'd fancy them to win the replay comfortably, even without Reilly, he was a silly boy for what he done

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Cilles should have won, kicked some bad wides especially 1st half, i'd fancy them to win the replay comfortably, even without Reilly, he was a silly boy for what he done

I think there are very few players that wouldn't have reacted. The ones at fault were the ref and the linesman.

At least 3 incidents in the first 2 minutes of the game. For instance:
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1190959130952100&id=179652612082762

He has had to put up with some nasty stuff with the county (versus Louth in 2015 springs to mind) but this was on a different level.

I hope he gets off and tears them to ribbons in the replay. No place for that type of intimidation in any game.

jimd2 wrote: »
    I think there are very few players that wouldn't have reacted. The ones at fault were the ref and the linesman.

He has had to put up with some nasty stuff with the county (versus Louth in 2015 springs to mind) but this was on a different level.

I hope he gets off and tears them to ribbons in the replay. No place for that type of intimidation in any game.
    I do agree with you. I've no doubt that he was targeted and Coldrick certainly should have dealt with that. But it still doesn't excuse how he (supposedly) reacted. If he did, then the red card should stand. The best Cilles could hope for would be a retrospective ban for the Dunderry player in that video.

• Advertisement

Damien Healy, Mickey Burke and James Toher all selected for Ireland in the Hurling/Shinty International.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

jimd2 wrote: »

I agree, saw everything that happened, i think most people did to be fair, it was so obvious, but i think he should, as a county player, and their best player, expected some tight marking shall i say and been able to deal with it, i cant see how he'll get off, it was pretty straight forward.

As for the rest of the game, how good was James Conlon for the cilles, played in the full forward line on his own most of the time and ran the 2 lads around him into the ground, scored some excellant points from both feet to

Reilly's appeal rejected.

2 more games in Leinster tomorrow. Ratoath are playing Carlow Town in Ratoath at noon in the Leinster JHC.
    Bective are against Rosenallis of Laois in the Leinster JFC at 2pm in Simonstown.

I'm kind of only surfacing after been up to my eyes the last while and I have to say I haven't a lot of sympathy for Biggy. He's probably the most talented player in the county he should be expecting stuff like that. I know it's easier said than done but he should be walking away from that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Donaghmore beat pats to win intermediate league tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Balllinlough relegated too. Doesn't surprise me too much, I never had them down as a senior team. I know they had a good season last year but every team survives their first season senior (even St. Ultans a few years ago, and Clann na nGael somehow stayed senior in hurling this year).

Balllinlough relegated too. Doesn't surprise me too much, I never had them down as a senior team. I know they had a good season last year but every team survives their first season senior (even St. Ultans a few years ago, and Clann na nGael somehow stayed senior in hurling this year).
    To be honest I thought that this would be Duleek's year to finally go down. I thought 'Lough would have had too much for them but once they lost that one, they were done for.
    This is the sort of thing that the new championship proposals would have improved. Once again, a team only has to win one relegation playoff and they cling to their senior status for another year.

Ratoath beat Carlow Town in the Leinster JHC first round. They dominated for most of the game but only lead by 2 at the break. They put the boot down in the second half and won by 2-20 to 2-9. They play Clodiagh Gaels of Offaly in the quarter final.

Bective were beaten by Rosenallis of Laois in the Leinster JFC quarter final. 9 points to 8 was the final score.

Cille's ahead by 1-11 to 1-5 with 10 left in the IFC

Kiltale win the three in a row. Anyone at the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Kiltale were the better team but had Killyon snuck it you wouldn't say they didn't deserve it. Kiltale were winning most of the first half until a brilliant goal from Gannon put Killyon ahead. Kiltale moved one ahead soon after HT and just held on, they shot some bad wides and made a mess of a good few attacks, which is unusual for them.

Killyon had 2 or 3 chances in injury time but just couldn't seal the deal.

• Advertisement

Great news for the hurlers if Darragh Kelly does decide to switch from Dublin to Meath.

Advertisement