Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Great news for the hurlers if Darragh Kelly does decide to switch from Dublin to Meath.

Bad news for the footballers with Connor Nash going to the AFL.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Christ how bad were Donaghmore/Ashbourne? Nash was very good for Simonstown until he got the black card. McKeever was excellent from frees. Wingback Kane did really well in defence and going forward.

Don/Ash must be kicking themselves. They just didn't show up at all. But congratulations to Simonstown on the win. They'll play Rhode of Offaly in two weeks time.

On a separate note, St. Colmcilles won the MFC beating Na Fianna 1-14 to 13 points. James Conlon had an incredible 10 points to his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Senior final was disappointing. Don/Ash never got going at all. The missed penalty didn't help but Simonstown looked the sharper, hungrier, fitter side.

Nash in midfield is a serious operator, awful shame he is off to Oz - but best of luck to him. Sounds like he is a star on the rugby field too so there are no guarantees he would have played for Meath but maybe in a few years he will come back. He is the type of midfielder needed in the modern game that we simply haven't got. Tall, athletic, mobile, can score.

Shane O'Rourke for me was man of the match. Hopefully he can remain injury free and return to the Meath set up. Don't think midfield in the inter county game would suit him, he's not as mobile as Nash but potentially at centre forward. Either way, great to see him back.

McEntee will have taken note of some other players who impressed yesterday for the Gaels, in particular their number 6 and a certain Seamus Kenny at number 11. It's a pity he's too old and retired from Meath because he was excellent yet again and demonstrated all the traits that made Meath people love him for years.

As for Donaghmore, I was very disappointed in them. They seemed almost overawed, which shouldn't be an excuse as 2nd final in 3 years. Too many of their marquee players were nowhere to be seen. Haven't seen Bryan Menton so quiet in a long time. Deegan hardly had a sniff and Tormey was very reliant on the little ball he got to be good, which it often wasn't. Any ball he did get hands in he seemed intent on kicking wildly. It was heart breaking though to see him at the end distraught, obviously the loss of his father earlier in the year played a big part for him and I hope he recovers from the disappointment as he is a fabulous footballer on his day.

Three teams in Leinster action at the weekend:

Saturday 5 November
    Leinster Club IFC Quarter Final
    Arklow, Geraldines, Ballymoney (WW)v St. Colmcilles, Pearse Park, Arklow, 2.30pm

Leinster Club IHC Quarter Final
    Kiltale v Oylegate/Glenbrien (WX), Trim, 2pm

Leinster Club JHC Quarter Final
    Ratoath v Clodiagh Gaels (OY), Ratoath, 2pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Wouldn't mind seeing Ratoath get a win, our record in the Leinster Junior Hurling is deplorable. Aside from Rathmolyon reaching the final a few years ago, every representative we send either gets beaten out the gate, or loses to a poor team who goes on to get heavily beaten themselves.

2015: Lusmagh 1-17 Clann na nGael 1-06
    2014: Bennetsbridge 4-25 Dunderry 0-04
    2013: Setanta 3-14 Blackhall Gaels 0-08
    2012: Rathmolyon 2-11 Eire Óg 0-11 ; Rathmolyon 3-13 Crookedwood 2-04 ; Rathmolyon 1-11 Colt 1-08 ; Thomastown 2-13 Rathmolyon 1-07
    2011: Knockbridge (LH) 1-11 Boardsmill 0-13
    2010: Delvin 1-10 Drumree 0-9 (Delvin lost their next match by 20 points)
    2009: Blacks & Whites 3-24 Longwood 0-05
    2008: Ballyskenach 4-5 Gaeil Colmcille 1-6

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Wouldn't mind seeing Ratoath get a win, our record in the Leinster Junior Hurling is deplorable. Aside from Rathmolyon reaching the final a few years ago, every representative we send either gets beaten out the gate, or loses to a poor team who goes on to get heavily beaten themselves.

2015: Lusmagh 1-17 Clann na nGael 1-06
    2014: Bennetsbridge 4-25 Dunderry 0-04
    2013: Setanta 3-14 Blackhall Gaels 0-08
    2012: Rathmolyon 2-11 Eire Óg 0-11 ; Rathmolyon 3-13 Crookedwood 2-04 ; Rathmolyon 1-11 Colt 1-08 ; Thomastown 2-13 Rathmolyon 1-07
    2011: Knockbridge (LH) 1-11 Boardsmill 0-13
    2010: Delvin 1-10 Drumree 0-9 (Delvin lost their next match by 20 points)
    2009: Blacks & Whites 3-24 Longwood 0-05
    2008: Ballyskenach 4-5 Gaeil Colmcille 1-6

Been quite a fall for Rathmolyon since then. Struggled in intermediate this year, and don't look like hitting any highs again any time soon.

It would be great if Ratoath kept their run going, you would think that if they win tomorrow the semi final might be more straight forward against either Laois or Dublin.

I wonder if Kiltale will finally get over the line in Leinster this year? Has been 8 years since Kilmessan's historic Leinster win. It looks like two slight outsiders have got to the final in Kilkenny, so if Kiltale can get over tomorrow's game it could give them a great chance.

paul0103 wrote: »
    Been quite a fall for Rathmolyon since then. Struggled in intermediate this year, and don't look like hitting any highs again any time soon.

It would be great if Ratoath kept their run going, you would think that if they win tomorrow the semi final might be more straight forward against either Laois or Dublin.

I wonder if Kiltale will finally get over the line in Leinster this year? Has been 8 years since Kilmessan's historic Leinster win. It looks like two slight outsiders have got to the final in Kilkenny, so if Kiltale can get over tomorrow's game it could give them a great chance.

Ratoath's chances of winning would massively improve if Darragh Kelly is fit enough to return tomorrow. He was concussed in the U21 drawn game and was given three weeks off. Tomorrow will be three weeks to the day since the concussion so it may come too early for him. The defence is infinitely more solid with him playing.

Ratoath's chances of winning would massively improve if Darragh Kelly is fit enough to return tomorrow. He was concussed in the U21 drawn game and was given three weeks off. Tomorrow will be three weeks to the day since the concussion so it may come too early for him. The defence is infinitely more solid with him playing.

Did Ratoath line out without Gavin McGowan in the first round too?

Did Ratoath line out without Gavin McGowan in the first round too?
    McGowan did play. I think he was mistakenly left out the match report.
    Another vital player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

ratoath are the first good team to come out of inter since rathmolyon won it
    they had a good team at the time and won inter easy that year
    i would expect them to have a good run in it, could get to a final with kilkenny on other side of the draw
    depends how serious the take it

kiltale have beat some big teams in recent years
    beat wexford inter champs comfortably last 2 years
    beat loais senior b champions 2 years running, senior proper in loais only has 8 teams so high standard
    they beat ballinakill in 2014 who the next year got beat by a point in senior semi in loais
    they lost to mullinavat that year in a game they could and mayby should have won
    mullinavat went on to get to the semis in kilkenny the next year
    last year beat portloaise and just lost to bennitsbridge in the final, who went on
    to win the all ireland inter club champ to go with the junior all ireland they won the year previous

the team that won inter in kilkkeny this year has 5 current or ex kilkenny senior players in there side
    so i would think they will be off a very high standard
    inter is a very hard championship to win in kilkenny

sc86 wrote: »
    the team that won inter in kilkkeny this year has 5 current or ex kilkenny senior players in there side
    so i would think they will be off a very high standard
    inter is a very hard championship to win in kilkenny

They must be some team if they can win it before the final is even played this Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Hoganstand have a tweet up that there will be a new sponsor for 2017 for the footballers, does anyone have any idea? The better half only bought be a new jersey two weeks ago :rolleyes:

rpurfield wrote: »
    Hoganstand have a tweet up that there will be a new sponsor for 2017 for the footballers, does anyone have any idea? The better half only bought be a new jersey two weeks ago :rolleyes:

Wonder could it be Uniflu? They certainly put a lot into the hurling this year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

They must be some team if they can win it before the final is even played this Sunday...

my bad sorry, i thought it was last sunday

Ratoath leading 9 points to 4 at half time. Down to 14 men though.

Good day for Meath clubs.

Ratoath beat Clodiagh Gaels 1-13 to 2-8 in the Leinster JHC quarter final. Played 45 minutes with 14 men and survived an onslaught for the last few minutes to hold out. Rosenallis of Laois or Clontarf await in the semi final.

Kiltale are through to the Leinster IHC semi final after easily beating Oylegate Glenbrien of Wexford 2-24 to 2-8.

St. Colmcilles through to the IFC semi final beating Arklow Ballymoney 1-16 to 2-10. They play Round Towers of Kildare in the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Fair play to them all. Maybe we're turning the corner.

According to Hoganstand the Oylegate management reckon Kiltale are as good as any senior team in Wexford. Don't know if that says more about Meath or Wexford hurling!! Just out of interest what has to happen for our senior hurling champions to be playing Leinster SHC?

rpurfield wrote: »
    According to Hoganstand the Oylegate management reckon Kiltale are as good as any senior team in Wexford. Don't know if that says more about Meath or Wexford hurling!! Just out of interest what has to happen for our senior hurling champions to be playing Leinster SHC?
    I've heard that they have to win the All Ireland to go up to the All Ireland Club SHC. That's why the Offaly Intermediate champions are only in the Junior club championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

While they're by far the best team in Meath, I've heard a lot of "X from Kilkenny/Wexford said kiltale are the best team they've ever seen" over the last 5 years. If Kiltale really are capable of competing at the top level of club hurling, I'll believe it when they at least win the Leinster intermediate.

If they're able to beat Carrickshock in the next round, you'd feel they should go all the way. It'll take some effort though. Kilkenny teams have won 8 out of the 12 championships and Carrickshock have the likes of the Powers, John Tennyson and Michael Rice in their ranks. They're going to need a bit of luck to go their way I feel.

Cilles through to the Leinster IFC final after defeating Round Towers of Kildare 1-9 to 1-7.
    It'll be Meath v Westmeath final like last year. They'll play Rosemount in the final in Pairc Tailteann.

Simonstown going for Meath's first win in the Leinster SFC in 3 years tomorrow against Rhode.
    Ratoath will play Rosenallis of Laois in the JHC semi final next weekend. Their footballers beat Bective in the JFC a few weeks ago.

3 point defeat for Simonstown. Another year to wait for a Meath team to win a match in Leinster senior.

Anyone at it. Heard the referee did everything in his power to make it harder for Simonstown (both Colm and Shane were sent off). Tough assignment for Simonstown so I wouldn't be too hard on them in their first ever Leinster game. Hopefully Cilles can keep the Leinster IFC in Meath in two week's time.

Parnell Park next summer if Louth beat Wicklow or Aughrim if Wicklow do. Farcical potentially being dragged to Parnell again

Ill take it over bloody Aughrim

23rd April (Sunday)
    Leinster SHC Round Robin - Round One
    Meath v Kerry - Pairc Tailteann, Navan

30th April (Sunday)
    Leinster SHC Round Robin - Round Two
    Meath v Laois – Pairc Tailteann, Navan

14th May (Sunday)
    Leinster SHC Round Robin - Round Three
    Westmeath v Meath – TEG Cusack Park, Mullingar

27th May (Saturday) /28th May (Sunday) (Cos I'm optimistic)
    Leinster SHC Quarter Finals
    Round Robin Team v Offaly
    Round Robin Team v Wexford

Good draw for the hurlers too.
    2 home games and a winnable game in Mullingar. Am I crazy to think that we can actually get to a Leinster Quarter Final?

• Advertisement

23rd April (Sunday)
    Leinster SHC Round Robin - Round One
    Meath v Kerry - Pairc Tailteann, Navan

30th April (Sunday)
    Leinster SHC Round Robin - Round Two
    Meath v Laois – Pairc Tailteann, Navan

14th May (Sunday)
    Leinster SHC Round Robin - Round Three
    Westmeath v Meath – TEG Cusack Park, Mullingar

27th May (Saturday) /28th May (Sunday) (Cos I'm optimistic)
    Leinster SHC Quarter Finals
    Round Robin Team v Offaly
    Round Robin Team v Wexford

Good draw for the hurlers too.
    2 home games and a winnable game in Mullingar. Am I crazy to think that we can actually get to a Leinster Quarter Final?

Great draw for the hurling really. I honestly think that if we win one of the first two games and go to Mullingar with something to play for we have a realistic chance of making the quarter final. Should definitely have a great travelling support and historically games with Westmeath have always been close affairs (Meath have probably even had the edge in underage games involving most of the present players).

Advertisement