Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

To be honest, unless the hurlers strengthen immeasurably and train like never before I can see them coming straight back down. While it was fantastic at the time, we did beat the worst Antrim team in most people's memory in the CR final. Meath could just as easily show the same form that saw them only win 2 league games.

Laois and Westmeath are simply on another plane to us at the moment, with far greater underage prowess, competing in the A competitions (2 years ago our minors lost to Laois by 42 points) and in recent years they have gone toe to toe with Offaly and Wexford. One year won't be enough for Meath to bridge that gap. Kerry are probably the most catchable team in the group.

On top of that, I'd imagine the management are desperate to get out of division 2B so will throw a lot at that. Hopefully we don't end up like Kerry this year, who impressed a lot in the league, but couldn't repeat it in the championship.

Meath effectively need to double the CR effort for every game they play. I'd say we'll find it hard staying up, and I admire your optimism in thinking we can get a QF spot!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Maybe it is crazy, but I am optimistic (which is an alien emotion to me when it comes to Meath recently).
    We'll have Jack Regan back hopefully, Kelly coming in along with a couple of u21s I'd say. Having Kerry in Navan is a great chance for us. In 2015 we supposedly should have beaten them in Tralee when they won the Christy Ring. Laois, on paper, are obviously a good bit ahead of us but they have a tendency to fall into crisis mode. They had a very good 2015 (even though they lost to Antrim) but then were easily beaten by Offaly this year and were demolished by 30+ points by Clare. And Westmeath wouldn't exactly put any fear into the players I'd guess.

Though I'd agree about Division 2B. It's been our graveyard for how long now? Probably 5 or 6 years. It's not exactly the best preparation for the teams they'll face in the championship.

Kiltale fall to a Kilkenny side yet again, going down 2-12 to 2-9 to Carrickshock.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne retain their U21 title after beating Skryne 1-14 to 2-7.

Very impressive victory for Killary Emmets (Castletown/Syddan) over Na Fianna in the U21 A semi final. They'll play Wolfe Tones in the final.

Wolfe Tones have lost the last two U21A finals by a point, the first after extra time. Wonder if they can finally make it third time lucky.

• Advertisement

So we've gotten Wicklow at home, DIT at home and Laois away in the O'Byrne Cup. Games to be played on January 8th, 11th and 15th respectively.
    Obviously we've still no floodlights in PT so the DIT game will take place in a different ground, possibly Simonstown, Dunganny or Ashbourne.

And the hurlers play all their games at home in the Walsh Cup:

Meath v Offaly 8th Jan
    Meath v Kildare 15th Jan
    Meath v IT Carlow 22nd Jan

Offaly game should be a double header with the footballers' game with Wicklow.

Here are all our fixtures for the NFL and NHL for the diary. I'd assume that the hurlers will play their first game in the league as a curtain raiser to the footballers.
    Floodlights obviously still won't be fixed which means no TV coverage which also means less sponsorship yet again.

NFL
    05 February - Meath v Kildare, Navan, 2pm
    12 February - Meath v Derry, Navan, 3pm
    25 February - Down v Meath, Newry, 7pm
    05 March - Meath v Galway, Navan, 2pm
    19 March - Cork v Meath, Páirc Uí Rinn, 2pm
    26 March - Meath v Fermanagh, Navan, 2pm
    02 April - Clare v Meath, Ennis, 2pm

NHL
    12 February - Meath v Down, Navan (?), 1pm
    19 February - Meath v Derry, Trim, 2pm
    05 March - Roscommon v Meath, Athleague, 2pm
    12 March - Mayo v Meath, Castlebar, 2pm
    26 March - Meath v Wicklow, Trim, 3pm

Best of luck to Cilles against Rosemount in the Leinster IFC final today.
    Ratoath playing double chasing Rosenallis of Laois in the Leinster JHC semi final.

Leinster final again :D:D

Well done Cille's. They'll play either Pomeroy Plunketts of Tyrone (who beat Tones in the 2005 IFC semi final) or Donaghmoyne of Monaghan in the All Ireland semi final in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Leinster final again :D:D

Well done Cille's. They'll play either Pomeroy Plunketts of Tyrone (who beat Tones in the 2005 IFC semi final) or Donaghmoyne of Monaghan in the All Ireland semi final in January.

Well done lads.

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tones have lost the last two U21A finals by a point, the first after extra time. Wonder if they can finally make it third time lucky.
    Just about..... 7-16 to 2-7 victory over Killary Emmetts.
    Drumree/Blackhall easily beat NOM in the U21 hurling B final 5-21 to 2-6.

How were Drumree/Blackhall Gaels allowed enter the B championship? They competed in (and even "won") the under 21 A championship for a few years there, and have absolutely steamrollered the B division.

As well as that, there's a worrying number of teams needing to amalgamate just to compete in the B championship. Even senior clubs like Blackhall Gaels, Longwood, Boardsmill or Killyon have had to join up.

Ratoath 1-7 to 9 points behind at half time in the Leinster JHC final.
    Better team and we should be winning but their giant full forward is causing problems (and got the goal). Some silly mistakes have been punished while we're not putting away as many chances as we should.

1-16 to 12 points it finished. A 7 point loss was a bit harsh I thought but can't have any complaints.
    We were the better team in the first half but the Mooncoin defence tightened up greatly in the second half. Missed a couple of crucial scores (hit the crossbar with 10 to go which would have made it a 2 point game) and made some silly mistakes that we would have gotten away with against teams we've faced before.
    Though I'm quietly confident we'll do well in the SHC next season. Some very skillful, young hurlers in that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

1-16 to 12 points it finished. A 7 point loss was a bit harsh I thought but can't have any complaints.
    We were the better team in the first half but the Mooncoin defence tightened up greatly in the second half. Missed a couple of crucial scores (hit the crossbar with 10 to go which would have made it a 2 point game) and made some silly mistakes that we would have gotten away with against teams we've faced before.
    Though I'm quietly confident we'll do well in the SHC next season. Some very skillful, young hurlers in that team.

Yes, could be a breath of fresh air to the SHC. Though they will have to contend with the difficulties of having both football and hurling at senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Romulus45

Any word of the senior footballers or what new players have been brought in for trials?

Am I right in saying that there won't be any U21s with the seniors until after the U21 championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

New sponsor expected to be announced tomorrow according to Fergal Lynch on the Twitter. Wonder would I get a refund on the jersey I got for my birthday last month :P

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Devenish Nutrition - what's the Meath connection, or is there one? Know they sponsor Seneschalstown also. Bit of a kick in the teeth for anyone who Meath jerseys bought for Christmas!

Wonder what happened with Tayto Park?

Obrieski wrote: »
    Devenish Nutrition - what's the Meath connection, or is there one? Know they sponsor Seneschalstown also. Bit of a kick in the teeth for anyone who Meath jerseys bought for Christmas!

From a quick read, Devenish were offering a 6 figure sum. I know Tayto park halved their contribution last season (5 figures if I remember correctly). Simple decision if that is the case. Would have been much better to get it done before Christmas I'd agree.

• Advertisement

Green light to apply for planning permission for a 20000 capacity stadium in Navan. All depends on availability of funding though I'd assume. Louth have also suggested that they would be willing to use it for some of their home games as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Good there's finally movement on PT.
    Any plans on what it'll look like released?

Obrieski wrote: »

As far as I know the owner / founder is from Meath.

Green light to apply for planning permission for a 20000 capacity stadium in Navan. All depends on availability of funding though I'd assume. Louth have also suggested that they would be willing to use it for some of their home games as well.

Good news and it would be great if the link up with Louth meant more use. Considering that Dundalk to Navan takes about 45 minutes, the time taken would be no more than the outer reaches of most counties.

From a quick read, Devenish were offering a 6 figure sum. I know Tayto park halved their contribution last season (5 figures if I remember correctly). Simple decision if that is the case. Would have been much better to get it done before Christmas I'd agree.

I wonder if there is any plans to get a second sponsor on the back? Great to see some off the pitch moving along nicely

Anyone hear that big Joe is back on the panel and being played as a goalie?

dixiefly wrote: »
    Anyone hear that big Joe is back on the panel and being played as a goalie?

Hoganstand are reporting it too, also that Bryan Menton is back in but Harry Rooney is heading off abroad for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Playing Roscommon in Kiltoom tonight at 7. Hopefully we get a few reports back of people who are in the early panel. Big Joe certainly is a funny one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I heard Joe played 2nd half in goal tonight, its a strange experiment, but he did play in goal for seneschalstown when he was young, still cant imagine it'll go much further then challenge matches or o'byrne cup, but ya never know, good to see him back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

A mate from Westmeath said we played them today and won. Think it was 2.18 to 0.10.
    Don't have the team but apparently Cillian O'Sullivan came on and played very well.

Advertisement