Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Here yiz are. Actually looking forward to the O'Byrne cup now http://www.meathchronicle.ie/sport/gaa/articles/2016/12/18/4132036-meath-footballers-win-in-kinnegad/
    Meath footballers completed their weekend action in preparation for the O'Byrne Cup with a second SF challenge in less than 24 hours today in Kinnegad against Westmeath.

Meath recorded another victory despite trailing by 0-4 to 0-8 at the interval as they won by 2-15 to 0-10.

It is understood Meath's next game will be the O'Byrne Cup opener against Wicklow at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday 8th January, but another challenge may be scheduled between now and then.

Simonstown's Keegan Cup-winning goalkeeper Robbie Burlingham started between the posts today.

Manager Andy McEntee continues to assess his options for the number one
    position - former forward Joe Sheridan got a run between the posts for the second-half in last night's victory against Roscommon at Kiltoom.

Meath's Christy Ring Cup-winning captain James Toher partnered Brian Power at midfield and Dunsany's Declan Smyth featured in the full-back line along with David McQuillan and Alan Douglas.

Meath - R Burlingham; D Smyth, D McQuillan, A Douglas; S O'Connor, P Brady, A Forde; B Power, J Toher; B Brennan, K Ross, D Larkin, B O'Brien, D Queeney, D Lenihan. Subs - S Curran, C Downey, C O'Sullivan, D Toner (all used).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Is it correct that the footballers are playing their first O'Byrne Cup game in Navan while the hurlers play their first Walsh Cup game at the same time in Trim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

FYI:

O'Byrne cup
    Meath vs DIT wednesday 11th Jan 7:30pm @ Donaghmore Ashbourne.

Hot food/Drinks available at grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Is it correct that the footballers are playing their first O'Byrne Cup game in Navan while the hurlers play their first Walsh Cup game at the same time in Trim?

Yes and it's disgraceful :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

snowgal wrote: »
    Yes and it's disgraceful :mad:

Hardly disgraceful. Yes, it would be nice to start the year with a double header, but I would imagine there is a sensible/genuine reason for it. Maybe it didn't suit some of the hurlers/footballers to play at 12.15, or maybe Offaly/Wicklow requested that they couldn't do an early throw in. We had a double header last year and the crowds weren't exactly flowing in to see the 1st half of the hurling.

Anyway, I'll be in Trim, might try to get to Ashbourne for the football on Wednesday. Plenty of games to keep the dual supporters happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Jesus Wicklow are muck COS and biggie would beat them on their own.
    3 up against offaly in hurling! Hope they see it out

They were atrocious weren't they? Doesn't really teach us anything. COS and Biggy played very well. Surprised Biggy is playing (and played a full game) when Cilles are in an All Ireland semi final in three weeks' time.

Hard luck to the hurlers. Sounds like they did themselves proud.

That hurling match sounded like a bizarre ending with a couple of sendings off and a load of goals. Hard luck to them.
    Hopefully DIT will give the footballers a better game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Jesus lads I don't know what you could take out of today at all, a good junior B team would've more than put it up to Wicklow. I'm actually not going to pass comment on how lads played under the circumstances, but it did look like everyone knew their job and the game plan was well in place.

On another note it's interesting that Biggy has been given the captain role for the year, I really hope it doesn't affect him in his game and that if anything it brings him on a bit again. Finally no offence to Tayto but not having that logo on the jersey is miles better, but having said that if we won the Leinster wearing Tutu's I wouldn't care less!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The only positives i'd take from the game was the fact we seemed to leave at least 4 forwards in their half most of the time and seemed to kick long into them earlier instead of pulling them all back and breaking with hand passes like the last couple of years

Like everyone has said Wicklow were terrible so the tactics will probably change against better opposition, but yesterday's style of play was a nice change to see for me anyway

So the JFC will only have 6 second teams from this season. And Clonard (who were "relegated" last year) retain their JFC status while Moynalty join St. Vincent's in the JFC this year. It's yet to be decided which two second teams will drop down to Junior B.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Wicklow GAA is in a coma. Ye could have wheeled out your dead grannies against us and still won.

So the JFC will only have 6 second teams from this season. And Clonard (who were "relegated" last year) retain their JFC status while Moynalty join St. Vincent's in the JFC this year. It's yet to be decided which two second teams will drop down to Junior B.

O'Mahony's and Simonstown going down from what I've read on Twitter, which will also affect O'Mahony's third team as they are junior b. Of all the things we could be doing to improve Meath football I would've thought this was well down the list, what happens is a second team wins JFCB now and the teams due to come down aren't second teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

rpurfield wrote: »
    O'Mahony's and Simonstown going down from what I've read on Twitter, which will also affect O'Mahony's third team as they are junior b. Of all the things we could be doing to improve Meath football I would've thought this was well down the list, what happens is a second team wins JFCB now and the teams due to come down aren't second teams?

I'd imagine they'll bring in another goalpost shift to keep some poor junior clubs happy wallowing at the bottom of junior A.

I'd imagine they'll bring in another goalpost shift to keep some poor junior clubs happy wallowing at the bottom of junior A.

Fair point, I really wish someone would grab it all by the balls and just come up with a decent plan and stick to it instead of nipping at the edges and hoping for the best.

Does anyone else find it strange that every 2 years or so the County board seem to create a new position uniquely for Sean Boylan?

The position of "director of football" was created for him in 2011, but Boylan resigned from that after a year or so: http://www.meathchronicle.ie/sport/gaa/articles/2011/09/09/4006571-boylan-accepts-new-role

Then they created a role of "director of games" in 2013, but presumably he left that too after a year or 2: http://www.hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=207164

Now they've a new "ambassador" in Meath GAA, and he has filled that role: http://www.hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=264836

None of these positions were filled before or after Boylan occupied them, so they're fairly obviously just thrown together.
    I admire Boylan as much as the next Meath Gael, and there's nobody more suited to the role, but it seems very disorganised and haphazard. What do these roles involve, and why do they never last?

Team for tonight:
    15 changes from Sunday.

Robbie Burlingham (Simonstown Gaels); Alan Douglas (Trim), David McQuillan (St Patrick’s), Thomas McGovern (Donaghmore/Ashbourne), Declan Smyth (Dunsany), Willie Carry (Drumbaragh), Alan Forde (Navan O’Mahonys); Brian Power (Ratoath), James Toher (Trim); Stuart Lowndes (Dunboyne), Bobby O’Brien (Ratoath), Ruairí Ó Coileáin (Navan O’Mahonys); Dan Queeney (Na Fianna), Sean Tobin (Simonstown), Donal Lenihan (Dunboyne).

Subs - Joe Sheridan (Seneschalstown), Patrick Brady (Blackhall Gaels), David Toner (Curraha), Kieran Lynch (St Patrick’s), Adam Flanagan (Clonard), Padraic Harnan (Moynalvey), Ben Brennan (St Colmcille’s), David Larkin (Summerhill).

Good to see Alan Forde back.

Decent performance. Lenehan was the best of the bunch. Tobin did well also I thought.
    The speed of our play seems to have improved under McEntee. There's still the tendency to run into blind alleys but there at least appears to be some urgency in the play. McEntee also is a lot more vocal on the sideline.
    On to Laois on Saturday. Be interesting to see if there'll be many new players starting compared to the first two games.

Big Joe between the posts tomorrow:
    Meath (O'Byrne Cup v Laois) - Joe Sheridan (Seneschalstown); Donal Keogan (Rathkenny), David McQuillan (St Patrick’s), Mickey Burke (Longwood); Conor Downey (Na Fianna), Brian Power (Ratoath), Sean Curran (Donaghmore/Ashbourne); Bryan Menton (Donaghmore/Ashbourne), Cian O’Brien (Ratoath); Cillian O’Sullivan (Moynalvey), Graham Reilly (St Colmcille’s), Paddy Kennelly (Dunderry); Bryan McMahon (Ratoath), Kevin Ross (Castletown), Donal Lenihan (Dunboyne).
    Subs - Jack Hannigan (Donaghmore/Ashbourne), Alan Forde (Navan O’Mahonys), Willie Carry (Drumbaragh), David Toner (Curraha), Declan Smyth (Dunsany), Adam Flanagan (Clonard), Bobby O’Brien (Ratoath), Sean Tobin (Simonstown), Fiachra Ward (Wolfe Tones).

• Advertisement

Is Big Joe a distraction tactic by McEntee or is it genuine. Surely Birmingham or Hannigan deserves a run.

Will Eamonn Wallace be returning to the panel when he's finished with UCD?

Distracting who though? I think in recent years Meath have fallen off the radar off most of the top counties, so who we have in goals for an O'Byrne cup group match means nothing to them.

The main yardstick for improvement is our performances vs. Dublin. Since Jim Gavin and the team are away on holidays at the moment, I don't think they've big Joe on their minds.

It's successfully confusing me alright, if that was McEntee's intention....

Actually heading down to this later, Joe in goal is a strange one alright, if he's considered good enough to be part of the panel, then play him in his obvious position at full forward, if i were a senior club keeper, i'd be scratching my head over what i was doing wrong, anyway don't think its an experiment that will last long

Through by the skin our teeth. Another 8 point lead squandered

iDave wrote: »
    Through by the skin our teeth. Another 8 point lead squandered

Yeah lucky to get through, penalty was fairly dodgy to say the least, as for Joe in goal, he didn't have much to do, kick outs were ok, i still think he'd be better as an outfield sub, Ross i taught struggled at full forward, so he could have done a job in there 2nd half, overall result aside, it was a good workout for them, considering the last 2 games were so one sided.

Good turnout to, glad i parked in the town, think i might still be there had i parked beside the pitch

Thought it was a penalty to be honest. They were wrestling with our forwards all game.
    We were fantastic for the first 25 minutes, then we had our same trouble with the blanket defence. Think it was 20 minutes in the second half we went without scoring.
    Joe didn't really have much to do. His kickouts were OK but nothing special. Still confused as to why he's been put in goal.

All square at HT in hurling. Kildare slightly better team though. Toher looks magic every time he has the sliothar.

Phew! Very close. Kildare led for most of that. Must of drew level about 8 or 9 times to hand back the lead. Coughed up possession cheaply a lot. Toher frees kept us in it. Strong finish won the day. Offaly drew it IT Carlow so have something to play for next week.

Louth top their group so I think we have them in football now.

Anyone stand out for the hurlers, Dave? May head to Dunganny on Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Anyone stand out for the hurlers, Dave? May head to Dunganny on Wednesday.

Sorry didn't notice that Hammer. Sounds like they're getting a lesson tonight

Advertisement