Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Jaze that was dramatic just following twitter updates. Some comeback shame they got nothing from it. Sounds like a contender for match of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

iDave wrote: »
    Jaze that was dramatic just following twitter updates. Some comeback shame they got nothing from it. Sounds like a contender for match of the year.

3.16 to 10 behind after 48 mins. Beaten in the end by a point, 4.19 to 4.18. Certainly getting the reputation for a team with a lot of fighting spirit, which is no bad thing. Typical, I didn't venture out to see it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Argh decided against going of course. They obviously have some amount of fighting spirit in them. The antithesis to the footballers. If they could just put a 70 minute performance in.
    Really should be getting out of 2B this season.

Jack Hannigan (Donaghmore/Ashbourne); David McQuillan (St Patrick’s), Donal Keogan (Rathkenny), Sean Curran (Donaghmore/Ashbourne); Seamus Lavin (St Peters Dunboyne), Brian Power (Ratoath), Alan Forde (Navan O’Mahonys); Bryan Menton (Donaghmore/Ashbourne), Cian O’Brien (Ratoath); Ruairí Ó Coileáin (Navan O’Mahonys), Graham Reilly (St Colmcille’s), Eamon Wallace (Ratoath); Kevin Ross (Castletown), Paddy Kennelly (Dunderry), Sean Tobin (Simonstown Gaels). Subs - Joe Sheridan (Seneschalstown), Conor Downey (Na Fianna), Cillian O’Sullivan (Moynalvey), Bryan McMahon (Ratoath), Shane McEntee ( St Peters Dunboyne), Adam Flanagan (Clonard), Conor McGill (Ratoath), Mickey Burke (Longwood), Michael Newman (Kilmainham).

Team to face Louth.
    Lavin and Eamonn Wallace in for their first appearances under McEntee. Hopefully no hard feelings between Wallace and McEntee after their "disagreements" when McEntee was minor manager.
    McGill and Newman make the bench.

Seniors lost a challenge against Donegal 2-16 to 2-5. Donegal's side was far stronger than ours.

U21s are through to the Hastings Cup final against Longford after beating Cavan 2-9 to 1-8.

• Advertisement

Well that was pretty bad. Red card ruined it but not really an excuse for the loss. Referee made so many bizarre decisions throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I dont normally complain about a ref, (well unless its maurice deegan ) but i taught the ref today was terrible, as hammer said above, his decisions were bizarre at times, giving cards for fouls on louth players, while they seemed to be able to foul and drag our lads to the ground, and get away with it, graham reilly in particular had a rough afternoon to say the least

As for the game itself, the red card did ruin it, but not sure we'd have won with 15 v 15, from the throw in, we seemed to revert back to packing the defence again like under mick o'dowd, then after the red card, we left Kevin Ross in the full forward line v 2 louth defenders, it meant their was a lot of ball was going nowhere, and backwards a lot of the time,

if i were Joe Sheridan i'd be very frustrated, if hes considered good enough to be part of the panel then play him in his best position at full forward, he would have done a job in there today.

Good to see McGill back, him and Keogan were our best players by far, overall not to concerned that we lost, i'd be confident of beating them in the summer when everybody is back and fully fit, i'd be more concerned about the performance, at least theres a 2 week break now to have a look at things

Good post Rock covered the main points. Also worth noting how bad the free taking was by Tobin and O'Brien (I think). Barely able to get the ball off the ground.
    Times like this I'm glad of the phrase 'only the O'Byrne Cup'.

Good post Rock covered the main points. Also worth noting how bad the free taking was by Tobin and O'Brien (I think). Barely able to get the ball off the ground.
    Times like this I'm glad of the phrase 'only the O'Byrne Cup'.

Yeah i'm not sure how i managed to forget about the free taking, but i did, yeah it was'nt great, also want to include Hannigan with Keogie and McGill, taught he was solid throughout and saved a couple of goals during the game to that kept us in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Missed the match on Sunday, with the Donegal game on Saturday is there a chance the training is still pretty heavy?

• Advertisement

Best of luck to Cilles. They play Pomeroy Plunketts (who beat the great Tones team at the same stage in 2005) in Armagh on Sunday in the club IFC semi final. Though supposedly a few Cilles players are struggling with knocks after playing with Meath. Can't see the Cilles manager being too happy that Biggy played 4 full games in the run up to this.
    Hope they do better than ourselves in last year's semi final :o

Martin O'Halloran, Meath PRO, will become Leinster Council PRO after he finishes his final year this year. Have to say the programmes he put together, especially the SFC final programme, were absolutely outstanding and obviously took a massive amount of effort. I was always happy to pay the fiver for the programme as it's a magnificent read every year.

Well done Cilles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Brilliant. Well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Fair play.. Great win

Good weekend all round with Cillies and the Hastings Cup

So supposedly Burlingham was the goalkeeper cut from the squad. POR, Hannigan and Joe are the three remaining "goalkeepers" for the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Team to play Kildare has been announced:

Jack Hannigan (Donaghmore/Ashbourne),
    Donal Keogan (Rathkenny),
    Conor McGill (Ratoath), Mickey Burke (Longwood),
    Brian Power (Ratoath),
    Shane McEntee (St Peter's, Dunboyne)
    Alan Forde (Navan O'Mahonys),
    Cian O'Brien (Ratoath),
    Bryan Menton (Donaghmore/Ashbourne),
    Cillian O'Sullivan (Moynalvey),
    Graham Reilly (St Colmcille's, captain),
    Paddy Kennelly (Dunderry),
    Eamon Wallace (Ratoath),
    Brian Sheridan (Seneschalstown),
    Donal Lenihan (St Peter's Dunboyne).

Subs - Paddy O'Rourke (Skryne),
    David McQuillan (St Patrick's),
    Seamus Lavin (St Peter's Dunboyne),
    Alan Douglas (Trim),
    Willie Carry (Drumbaragh),
    James Toher (Trim),
    Adam Flanagan (Clonard),
    Ruairí Ó Coileáin (Navan O'Mahonys),
    Conor Downey (Na Fianna),
    Bobby O'Brien (Ratoath),
    Dan Queeney (Na Fianna).

Not a surprising selection but it will be touch and go to win on Sunday I would say. Midfield poor but perhaps it's the best we have got. A good game from full forward line is vital to win this one as scoring power is not all that evident.

I'm surprised the Cilles manager hasn't tied Biggy up somewhere to stop him playing for Meath.
    Surprised at Brian Sheridan starting given we haven't seen him at all. Think he was due to start against Wicklow but Fiachra Ward came I ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I'm surprised the Cilles manager hasn't tied Biggy up somewhere to stop him playing for Meath.
    Surprised at Brian Sheridan starting given we haven't seen him at all. Think he was due to start against Wicklow but Fiachra Ward came I ahead of him.

And Ward now not even on the subs? Subs bench not showing many options from a scoring point of view bar Ó Coileáin and Queeny who wouldnt be prolific.

Bolton is out for Kildare I hear.

Is Newman off the panel this year?

• Advertisement

A report I read earlier said we would be without him this week, didn't specify why. Wasn't he in as a sub in one of the O'Byrne games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Bolton's pace went a few years ago unfortunately, even if he was fit he shouldn't/wouldn't be a starter and Kildare are short on decent half backs for various reasons.

Was a very good player for a period of about 3 or 4 years under McGeeney but it always baffles me why he is one of Kildare's most recognisable players from other counties perspectives still.

Looking forward to a competitive contest on Sunday, confidence is incredibly low in Kildare but we are unsure what sort of Meath team will turn up so that provides a very small bit of hope that we can sneak a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Was a very good player for a period of about 3 or 4 years under McGeeney but it always baffles me why he is one of Kildare's most recognisable players from other counties perspectives still.

Ah he was handy enough though, linked up well with the attack too, he came forward well, he had that ability to drift in and carry the ball in.

Does anyone know if the Cilles final is covered by the season ticket like the way the senior club finals are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Stoner wrote:
    Ah he was handy enough though, linked up well with the attack too, he came forward well, he had that ability to drift in and carry the ball in.

Yeah I remember him being class for them against us in Navan in a qualifier a few years ago. About 4 men switched between marking him but none could stop the influence his runs up field were having. I'd imagine he's a bit past his peak now though

Well that was just as bad as anything under MOD.

MOD was able to win the first half

Yep, looks a real case of to much weights not enough ball, they looked like they couldn't run, plus back to this packing the defense tactics again, bloody hate them,

plus on the subject of Brian Sheridan, not his greatest game ever it has to be said, but if you're going to play him, give him ball early, and get support around him, he is not going to make sharp twists and turns, he made runs today in the 1st half and never got the ball, he got 3 in the second half, set up 2 points and made a mess of a left footed kick for a point, play to his strengths or don't play him at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Yep, looks a real case of to much weights not enough ball, they looked knackered

Didn't do Ballyboden any harm.

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    Didn't do Ballyboden any harm.

Just because it works for some doesn't mean it'll work for others

Advertisement