Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Ah that was just poor sh1te. Players looked lethargic. No plan for kick outs. Kildare free to run through the middle whenever they wanted. No full forward line. No free taker.
    Serious amount of work to be done.
    Also how did Shane McAntee stay on the pitch for that length. He was a passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Fcuk me that was awful today, the half back line was swamped and non existent. Handling was awful, the insistence on kicking to midfield in the first half was mind boggling when they were under pressure.I know it's early days but there is no signs of progress at all, if anything it looks like further regression from last year.I can accept we aren't going to be going winning All Irelands any time soon but the complete lack of intensity and fight is unacceptable, it was like men against boys at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

I see Graham Reilly is advertising his Easter football camp for the kiddies . I know 15 or 18 lads who should be going to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 rocketfingers

I fancied Meath to beat Kildare in Navan.It's a big set back regarding getting back into div 1 and making some type of progress.It was a shocking performance but they are better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I fancied Meath to beat Kildare in Navan.It's a big set back regarding getting back into div 1 and making some type of progress.It was a shocking performance but they are better than that.

I don't think we should have any notions of promotion this year. It seemed unlikely to me before Kildare and it's out of the question now.
    We went into the last game last year teetering on the brink so it wasn't realistic to expect something completely different this year.
    Best we can hope for is mid table and safety guaranteed a couple of games before we finish.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 rocketfingers

iDave wrote: »

I don't think we should have any notions of promotion this year. It seemed unlikely to me before Kildare and it's out of the question now.
    We went into the last game last year teetering on the brink so it wasn't realistic to expect something completely different this year.
    Best we can hope for is mid table and safety guaranteed a couple of games before we finish.

Okay,I know it is early in the season but it does not look good.What is wrong with Meath football?
    IMO The talent is there but they are not competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Seems to no heart, passion, pride in the jersey, fight, bottle, willingness to stand up and be counted....I could go on.

It is early days into the McEntee era so let's at least give him a chance but we will need to improve, and improve quickly.

Team for tomorrow:

POR
    Keoghan
    McGill
    Burke
    Carry
    Power
    McEntee
    Toher
    Menton
    Forde
    O'Sullivan
    C. O'Brien
    Downey
    B. Sheridan
    Lenihan

Good to see Paddy back, hopefully a bit more stability back there although Hannigan did nothing wrong really.
    He seems insistent on playing a big full forward target man, when you think of the games so far. Fiachra Ward was tried there, and now Sheridan in his 2nd game in a row. Seems slightly old fashioned approach but it only works if we kick good quality ball in. Time will tell on that one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Big loss to the hurlers with Toher playing.
    Cannot understand why he's persisting with Sheridan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Obrieski wrote: »
    He seems insistent on playing a big full forward target man, when you think of the games so far. Fiachra Ward was tried there, and now Sheridan in his 2nd game in a row. Seems slightly old fashioned approach but it only works if we kick good quality ball in. Time will tell on that one.

Yep a target man only works if he gets the ball he needs, We don't seem to want to use a target man's strength or height despite picking one, we play a way that suits quick forwards, i said last week that sheridan cant make the darting twisty runs a small quick forward can make, so when he makes his run, he needs the ball, or lump it in and get support around him, otherwise its a pointless selection.

• Advertisement

Worried. Very weak team. The hurlers need Toher. POR is usually worth 4 points to the other team. Sheridan was non existent the last day.

There's a hell of a breeze blowing into the hospital end, We have to use it today, let it long, great start by the hurlers, lovely goal

Edit: just conceded a terrible goal

13 outfield players in derrys half, we won't get many scores with these tactics

Happy days.
    Two massive wins against teams we've massively struggled against in recent years.

Very good 2nd half, used the breeze well and racked up some good scores

Great win for the hurlers. That was some hammering against a team we've struggled with before.
    In football I was worried at half time but we grew into it. Big margin in the end but we're still error prone and no free taker.

Anyway 2 wins, froze my hole off in there for 4 hours but good not to walk out being angry with the team.

We really should be aiming for another big win in Newly in two weeks. They seem to be in free fall.
    The hurlers' win was very impressive given the amount of players missing. Not getting carried away yet but we really should be easily getting promoted this year (finally).

I hate to say this giving he scored two but Cillian O'Sullivan needs to work on his goal finishing, he left a couple behind today. I was impressed with Alan Forde today thought he played really well, the second yellow was harsh. Great to get a good win and build some confidence. I only got in for the last 20 of the hurling, I'm not going to lie I didn't fancy been out in that weather for two games!

rpurfield wrote: »
    I hate to say this giving he scored two but Cillian O'Sullivan needs to work on his goal finishing, he left a couple behind today.

And his handling, dropped a good few passes last week and it was the same today, dropped 3 in 1st half that led to 2 points and a wide that easily should have been a 3rd point.

onto the others, i taught Brian Sheridan had a very good game, we gave him early ball and support around him and he set up 1-4 or 1-5 from what i remember and could have been more with better finishing, Brian Menton was excellant in midfield, along with Willie Carry at wing back, Joey Wallace when introduced had a fine game to.

Change to a more direct style 2nd half worked a treat, left 3 forwards up and the scores came, i'd like to see more of that, cos in the 1st half we had only 1 forward in their half a lot of the time, have to mention the ref, very poor i taught, got a lot of the calls wrong and needed his linesman to many times for my liking and still got the majority of decisions wrong

To be fair, playing against the wind in the first half, would have been silly not to filter men back, it was bound to happen. To only be 2 down at half time was good and then we had the chance to play, we showed what we are capable of.

Derry were missing a lot of their top men so we can't read too much into it, but a win is a win and we can look to the Down match with some confidence and hoping a few of the injuries clear up and we have a full squad to choose from. I'm a lot more positive now than I was yesterday!

• Advertisement

And his handling, dropped a good few passes last week and it was the same today, dropped 3 in 1st half that led to 2 points and a wide that easily should have been a 3rd point.

GAA.ie have him up for player of the week now I see!!

I'm like you OBrieski I'm a lot more confident in them after this week, still a fair chunk of work to do though the freetaker situation needs sorting out for starters anyway

I'd agree with the comments on COS and goal taking. He had bad misses against Kildare and Derry and was lucky the first goal wasn't saved either.
    Nonetheless he's still the most exciting player on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭enricoh

Best of luck to st colmcilles tomorrow in croker. An epic voyage so far, keep er lit for the final furlong lads!

Ominous for Cilles. 1-9 to 1-3 at half time. Could have been closer after the goal closed it to 4 but Westport went almost straight down the other end for a goal of their own.

Flattering win for the hurlers. 2-19 to 16 against Derry. But it was a close game until the last 5 minutes when we pulled away after Derry were reduced to 12 men.
    There was a large brawl on the sideline after 50 minutes or so that ended in a red for both teams.

Sounded like some comeback. That first half spell seemed to be the losing of the game.
    Hard luck Cilles. Ye did yourselves immensely proud. I know every senior team will be hoping to avoid you in the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

What are your 21s like? Will they win tonight?

2-08 0-12 out early again.

Minors already through to the knockout stages of the Leinster MFL. Probably the best chance of a Leinster minor championship in the last 10 years this season.

Biggie and O'Coilean in for Downey and Burke tomorrow. With Down in free fall this would be just the type of game we go and lose.

Minors beat Louth 1-15 to 2-4. They'll play either Carlow or Tipperary in the MFL semi final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

God awful first 30 minutes
    Lucky to be only 4 points down

Advertisement