Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Jesus this is dirt from Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Why do i put myself through this, pulling most of the team back against 2 forwards at most and we are still gifting them scores, big 2nd half required...again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Why do i put myself through this, pulling most of the team back against 2 forwards at most and we are still gifting them scores, big 2nd half required...again

The lack of tackling by the defenders is a worry ,all too easy for Down to score

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

2 point loss flatters Meath
    An awful performance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I'm as close as I've ever been to giving up on Meath GAA

• Advertisement

Well that was horrendous, my summary is, the tactics are really getting to me now, we invite teams to run at us by pulling most of the team back and we cant defend it.

we play with a target man and kick to him when he is surrounded with no support around him

Our kick outs are rubbish, we gave up scores by misplaced passes, been unable to hold on to the ball, and apart from Reilly, we have no forward that can kick long range points

And as i start this long walk back to the car, i just remembered i still have trips to cork and clare to go, cant.....wait

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

And as i start this long walk back to the car, i just remembered i still have trips to cork and clare to go, cant.....wait
    My thoughts exactly. Don't know why I take time and money out of my weekend to watch that. The lack of even basic skills at times is baffling. Simple 20 yard kick passes sailing over players' heads, simple 5 yard hand passes to a player's feet.
    It'll take a miracle for us to stay up. I can't see us winning more than maybe one of the remaining 4 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Looking at that match on eir tonight, and despairing/pondering a few things. While it was definitely time for him to go, I think O'Dowd is judged a bit harshly for his tenure. After the Westmeath catastrophe people were keen to paint his entire reign as 4 years of dismal failure. Hyperbole about deep psychological scars and most unfit team in Ireland abounded during last autumn/winter.

O'Dowd should probably have left after 2015, because in 2016 people were queueing up to slate him before Meath even kicked a ball in January. I actually got the impression winning the O'Byrne cup annoyed some Meath people since it delayed their chance to get the boot into O'Dowd.

McEntee won the AI club with Ballyboden in March 2016 and from then on the narrative on O'Dowd's reign was set in stone-"MOD led Meath into the abyss and only Andy can save us now".Nothing short of an All Ireland win would stop people savouring the end of O'Dowd's management and the appointment of McEntee. An O'Byrne cup victory, a middling league and forgettable championship were made out to be the worst season in living memory.

Even under O'Dowd though we had wins against Down (home and away) and Kildare with this same bunch of players. At the very least you'd have thought McEntee would have the team maintaining that level of performance, not going backwards.

It's early days yet, and I don't blame people for wanting to believe McEntee will whip these players into a top team, but I just don't think we have the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Well that was horrendous, my summary is, the tactics are really getting to me now, we invite teams to run at us by pulling most of the team back and we cant defend it.

we play with a target man and kick to him when he is surrounded with no support around him

Our kick outs are rubbish, we gave up scores by misplaced passes, been unable to hold on to the ball, and apart from Reilly, we have no forward that can kick long range points

Pretty much this.

I was left watching that wondering what the hell does be going on in training. Do they work on any game plan or what.

Players back for the sake of it. Probably the worst full forward line you're likely to see.

What are we doing? Where's the gameplan? Where's the identity.

Down are a poor team who were keen enough to get their well overdue win. We made it easy for them tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

felt meath looked like there were in heavy training ,very little pace to the game .

mcantee will have to do a better job in sowing lads how to defend , meath brought several lads back and did little with them , too many lads marking space and not knowing what to do

midfield is crying out for a ball winners in the middle of the field , the tactic of long ball to sheridan is fairly outdated too and wont work , was o sullivan injured to say he went off at half time? ,the forwards look ok , just short a midfielder would o'rourke be better off out the field?

ye wont get relegated but most likley promotion is screwed after tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Didn't travel last night thankfully. Agree with a lot of what is said above, I've even had it off line in terms of people who ranted about MOD last year already revising opinions. In terms of heavy training considering Andy said getting to division 1 was a priority I don't think he'd be running the legs off lads in the thick of the league. I'm seriously hoping its a case of new ideas taking time to bed in, but I doubt it. Serious amount of low points in the last four or five years, been far too many bad days compared to good.

I think it's becoming clear now that we simply do not have the players. Regardless of the manager involved, we're just not good enough.
    Several times on Saturday simple 20 yard kick passes sailed over the target's head, simple 5 yard hand passes ended up at the players feet. At one stage, we regained possession of the ball near the touchline inside our own 45. There was a player in acres of space infield around 30-40 yards away. Instead of a simple cross field kick pass and what could have been a chance at a counter attack, there were 3 slow hand passes across the pitch to the same player meaning Down funneled men back to defend.
    Also, at times the players just seem to follow the ball like an U6 team and then seem surprised when there's a free man in acres of space.

If I keep going, I'll start tearing my hair out again. Let's hope we can cling on to division 2 status again. Hopefully some of the U21s can improve things.

I think it's becoming clear now that we simply do not have the players. Regardless of the manager involved, we're just not good enough.
    Several times on Saturday simple 20 yard kick passes sailed over the target's head, simple 5 yard hand passes ended up at the players feet. At one stage, we regained possession of the ball near the touchline inside our own 45. There was a player in acres of space infield around 30-40 yards away. Instead of a simple cross field kick pass and what could have been a chance at a counter attack, there were 3 slow hand passes across the pitch to the same player meaning Down funneled men back to defend.
    Also, at times the players just seem to follow the ball like an U6 team and then seem surprised when there's a free man in acres of space.

If I keep going, I'll start tearing my hair out again. Let's hope we can cling on to division 2 status again. Hopefully some of the U21s can improve things.

According to some the problem is purely down to not having any of the county champions on the panel. If only life was that simple. The Dubs and Kerry are always knocking around the business end of the Minor and 21 championships meaning they only really need to pick a couple off each team, we've not had consistent underage success since the early 90s, lads won't lick it off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Big game tomorrow, 2 changes with McMahon and Tobin in.
    Certainly would expect more pace from Meath with McMahon up front, the big full forward is an out dated tactic at this stage.
    It's a tight group with everyone beating everyone so it is imperative to win tomorrow to give us a bit of breathing space from the bottom.

Hope Tobin is fit as he is a good player, and will never be found wanting when it comes to effort to be fair to him.

Hurlers' game in Roscommon has been called off.
    No word about Navan yet as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

That was nervy as hell! Well done to them credit where its due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

nice to see that we are now finishing games strong. even in last weeks defeat we still won the second half, same before with Derry as well. makes a change to blowing big leads after half time, work in progress, well done today.

Good win and deserved i taught, nice to see some fight and spirit in the team, still a bit to defensive but we did play with more forwards in their half compared to other games, especially in 1st half, seemed to revert to packing the defense 2nd half and that allowed Galway back into it but we managed to sneak it with the goal late on.

I taught Donal Lenihan was excellant, Padraic Harnan to, and Adam Flanagan when introduced was very good to

Bit of passion and hard work was nice to see. Not a great performance by any means but if we can put in a similar performance in the remaining three games we have a chance of promotion.
    How good was O'Sullivan's pass to Lenehan for the goal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Is there a more clichéd cliché in the GAA than "X will be like a wounded animal now in the next match"?* Hearing it a lot about Cork before we play them in a fortnight.

*Closely followed by the thousands of geniuses who think they're being original when they say "GAA = Grab All Association"

whatnext wrote: »

No photos taken yesterday so :cool:

Championship draws have been made.

SFC
    Group A
    Duleek/Bellewstown
    Summerhill
    Gaeil Colmcille
    Wolfe Tones
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne
    Rathkenny

Group B
    Seneschalstown
    Moynalvey
    Simonstown
    St Colmcille's
    Navan O'Mahonys
    Blackhall Gaels

Group C
    St Patrick's
    Skryne
    Dunboyne
    Dunshaughlin
    Na Fianna
    Ratoath

SHC
    Group A
    Longwood
    Clann na nGael
    Kilmessan
    Ratoath
    St. Peter's Dunboyne
    Trim

Group B
    Boardsmill
    Dunderry
    Kildalkey
    Kiltale
    Killyon
    Blackhall Gaels

IFC
    Group A
    Trim
    Longwood
    Dunderry
    Drumbaragh
    Ballinlough
    St Michaels

Group B
    Curraha
    Kilmainham
    Ballinabrackey
    Bective
    Ballivor
    Castletown

Group C
    Oldcastle
    Syddan
    St. Ultans
    Walterstown
    Nobber
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne

IHC
    Group A
    Kildalkey
    Wolfe Tones
    Na Fianna
    Kilmessan
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne
    Navan O'Mahonys

Group B
    Kilskyre/Moylagh
    Gaeil Colmcille
    Drumree
    Kiltale
    St. Peter's Dunboyne
    Rathmolyon

JFC A
    Group A
    Clonard
    Moynalty,
    Meath Hill
    Drumconrath
    Clan na nGael
    Cortown

Group B
    Dunsany
    St. Brigids
    Moylagh
    Carnaross
    Kilmainhamwood
    St Vincents

Group C
    Summerhill
    Wolfe Tones
    Dunshaughlin
    Seneschalstown
    Skryne
    St. Peter's Dunboyne

JHC
    Group A
    Killyon
    Boardsmill
    Ratoath
    Drumree
    Kilskyre/Moylagh
    Kiltale
    Rathmolyon

Group B
    Navan O'Mahonys
    Trim
    Clann na nGael
    Wolfe Tones
    Na Fianna
    Kildalkey

JFCB
    Group A
    Boardsmill
    Dunderry
    Slane
    St Mary's
    St Paul's
    Kilbride

Group B
    Trim
    Simonstown
    Gaeil Colmcille
    St. Peter's Dunboyne
    Donaghmore/Ashbourne
    Na Fianna

Group C
    St Patrick's
    St Colmcille's
    Walterstown
    Nobber
    Moynalvey
    Navan O'Mahonys

Local derbies all over the place in Group C in the SFC. And we're renewing acquaintances again rpurfield.

Refixture of the postponed NHL game with Roscommon is set for Donaghmore/Ashbourne this coming Thursday at 7:45pm. Great for the hurlers but a bit unfair on the Roscommon team.

Good day for both minor teams.
    Footballers are through to the MFL final after beating Carlow 2-14 to 1-6.
    The hurlers hockeyed Roscommon 7-22 to 9 points in the MHL.

That SFC draw would look way better with 16 teams :pac: could someone explain to me how the junior is working with the one group of second teams? Also looking an explanation of why the hurlers game was switched to Ashbourne. I'm having an inquisitive weekend!!

Presumably the JFC works like any other year. Just this year it was decided to put all second teams in their own group.

Not entirely sure where the hurlers are playing to be honest. I saw on Twitter and on Hoganstand that it's in Ashbourne but the GAA website says Athleague. I'd assume that if it is Ashbourne it's because there were no grounds available in Roscommon so they forfeit home advantage.

Hurlers only have to win on Thursday and they'll be in the final against Wicklow. They beat Mayo today 2-19 to 15 points.

• Advertisement

The GAA website has also had all of our home games down for Trim, even though they've all been held in Navan.

Advertisement