Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Presumably the JFC works like any other year. Just this year it was decided to put all second teams in their own group.

Not entirely sure where the hurlers are playing to be honest. I saw on Twitter and on Hoganstand that it's in Ashbourne but the GAA website says Athleague. I'd assume that if it is Ashbourne it's because there were no grounds available in Roscommon so they forfeit home advantage.

Hurlers only have to win on Thursday and they'll be in the final against Wicklow. They beat Mayo today 2-19 to 15 points.

They're more than likely going to play Wicklow twice in a row now if they can get to the final. Good win today. I think grouping the second teams together is a good idea but would there be more merit in an SFC B championship and let the Junior B first teams into the Junior A?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Do the hurlers still have to win the final to be promoted and are there promotion/relegation playoffs after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

iDave wrote: »
    Do the hurlers still have to win the final to be promoted and are there promotion/relegation playoffs after that?

The winner of the final is the only team promoted. No promotion/relegation playoff between 2A and 2B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

roscommon asked for game to be played up here
    not sure why

mayby they are going on the rip in town for paddys day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Article on the GAA website about the Meath High Kings hurling initiative is an interesting read.

http://www.gaa.ie/features/feature/meath-hurling-royal-lineage/

• Advertisement

Article on the GAA website about the Meath High Kings hurling initiative is an interesting read.

http://www.gaa.ie/features/feature/meath-hurling-royal-lineage/

That's a great article, I honestly didn't realise the extent of the work going on within the county. We've some great stuff going on in the club too but it's all at under 9, 10, 11 ages so it will be a while before it comes through at adult level. Getting up a couple of divisions for the seniors is a must though.

I have noticed a lot more youngsters wandering around carrying hurls and pucking a sliotar to themselves over the last few years.
    Fair play to Durnin. There's still a near hatred for hurling amongst a lot of Meath GAA folk so it cannot have been easy to organise this year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Nothing too convincing from the hurlers tonight it seems, still a 3 point win, 2.16 to 1.16. Looks like a lot of subs from previous games started or came on. Good to see Gavin McGowan and Dara Kelly getting a bit of game time too, must be getting back to full fitness.

Team from Meath Chronicle:

Meath – S McGann; L Ferguson, S Whitty, C Reilly; P Kelly, K Keoghan, D Reilly (0-1); M O’Grady, S Quigley (0-9); M O’Sullivan (0-1), C McCabe, J Walsh; L Martyn, G McGowan (0-2), N Heffernan (2-1). Subs - D Kelly for P Kelly and S Brennan for Walsh both half-time, P Farrell for McGowan 45 mins, K Keena (0-2) for Martyn 49m, D Healy for McCabe 58m

The footballers would be proud of that second half collapse. Job done nonetheless. Next match will be a puck about before meeting Wicklow in the final.
    Presume that'll be a neutral venue, Parnell or Newbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The footballers would be proud of that second half collapse. Job done nonetheless. Next match will be a puck about before meeting Wicklow in the final.
    Presume that'll be a neutral venue, Parnell or Newbridge?

Arklow hopefully !!!!

• Advertisement

12 points to 5 down at half time. Against a strong breeze but awful performance regardless.
    Referee is atrocious. Every bit of contact and he's blowing for a free. Think Cork have scored at least half their points from frees.

Bloody hell me heart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Good to hear that McEntee was disappointed with the performance overall and the result.

You would not have gotten that sort of rhetoric from MOD.

That ref must of got a good deal off Chill Insurance. Only way to explain some of his decisions for Cork. Nevertheless we were our own worst enemy at times. Got crowded out of it at midfield a lot, too much wayward passing and a slow build up when in possession.
    That last 25 mins was madness though and demonstrated a character we hadn't seen in a long time.
    Table looks good being third but should come with a health warning as we're still only one point off relegation.
    Fermanagh is huge next week now.

Good comeback today, just a pity it needed to be from so far back. Personally I'm delighted Andy Mc has lifted them out of it for their shot selection, it's a mentality we haven't seen in ages from management. I know it's a long shot but if we finish level on points with Galway is it head to head or scoring difference.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Good comeback today, just a pity it needed to be from so far back. Personally I'm delighted Andy Mc has lifted them out of it for their shot selection, it's a mentality we haven't seen in ages from management. I know it's a long shot but if we finish level on points with Galway is it head to head or scoring difference.

Head to head. If Galway lose any of the remaining two then we're in a good position to go up. Have to win ours too though.

I'm more encouraged by Andy's reaction afterwards than the actual comeback. We played well for around 20 minutes which is simply not good enough.
    Referee was abysmal. Cork players often simply had to fall to the ground to get a free. Though he did give a good few soft frees our way too. He bottled the last decision. The foul began outside the box before Biggy was clearly dragged to the ground inside the box. He was hell bent on giving only a free given that he didn't even consult his umpires.

Keogan was fantastic at the back and when he was pushed forward. Thought Paddy did extremely well with his distribution today. Don't think any of his kickouts went astray. Thought Toher did well in midfield. He seems to have a great long distance kick pass on him.

A win in each of our last two games could see us promoted. We'll probably be looking for a favour from Kildare though. Galway won't lose to Down so, in the unlikely event of us winning our last two games, we'd have to rely on Kildare beating Galway (when they may already be promoted) on the last day for us to get promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I'm more encouraged by Andy's reaction afterwards than the actual comeback. We played well for around 20 minutes which is simply not good enough.
    Referee was abysmal. Cork players often simply had to fall to the ground to get a free. Though he did give a good few soft frees our way too. He bottled the last decision. The foul began outside the box before Biggy was clearly dragged to the ground inside the box. He was hell bent on giving only a free given that he didn't even consult his umpires.

Keogan was fantastic at the back and when he was pushed forward. Thought Paddy did extremely well with his distribution today. Don't think any of his kickouts went astray. Thought Toher did well in midfield. He seems to have a great long distance kick pass on him.

A win in each of our last two games could see us promoted. We'll probably be looking for a favour from Kildare though. Galway won't lose to Down so, in the unlikely event of us winning our last two games, we'd have to rely on Kildare beating Galway (when they may already be promoted) on the last day for us to get promoted.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if Down beat Galway. Newry is a long trip for Galway + Galway have a couple of players involved in U21 championship the day before. As a Galway supporter, I wouldn't be putting a big sum on a Galway victory here.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if Down beat Galway. Newry is a long trip for Galway + Galway have a couple of players involved in U21 championship the day before. As a Galway supporter, I wouldn't be putting a big sum on a Galway victory here.
    Suppose so. Down have come into a bit of form but I think Galway will have too much for them even without their U21s. Hope I'm wrong.

Link
    Highlights from Sunday here.

Sunday's NHL game against Wicklow has been switched to Ratoath. Can see it being deserted given both teams footballers are in action and it's a dead rubber.

Have Down really come into any sort of good form though? Our performance against them in Newry was probably even worse than our game vs. Kildare, and Down beat a Derry side which is staring down the barrel of relegation.
    A big deal was made of Down's 2 game winning streak just because it followed a 14 game losing streak.

• Advertisement

Well I suppose "coming into form" is relative when you haven't won a game in 2 years.

Minor hurlers gave a great account of themselves today before succumbing 1-23 to 2-16 to Dublin in the MHL semi final.

Team for tomorrow is unchanged for the third game in a row. Thought James McEntee may have come in with Power dropping to the bench.

That Down game is going to haunt us.

Great walking away from a convincing win. Nice feeling. Surprised just how uninterested Fermanagh seemed. Made no attempt to make the most of the wind in the first half.
    That Down match is our undoing. Cant see already promoted Kildare doing us a favour away.

Also hope Alan Forde injury not too bad. He looked in a lot of pain.

Didn't look good for Forde. I'd be very surprised if he's back this season.
    Fermanagh just looked completely disinterested apart from the first 10 minutes. Our forwards had a field day. They couldn't handle Brian McMahon especially.
    The only worry was Biggie's performance. Though given that he's been involved in competitive football for well over a year I suppose he's allowed a bit of a drop.

On to Clare now with the hope that Kildare don't play their minors in their game. For the third time in four years I think we're going to be left to rue one awful performance in a game we were expected to win.

Hurlers had a good win in Ratoath.

That Down game is going to haunt us.

Yeah but we can have no complaints overall. Looks like we're going to come up short for promotion but in terms of game to game we can't give out.

Kildare bet us soundly and we deserved nothing against Down.

Even if we had beaten Cork it would make no difference in terms of permutations.

Galway would still be ahead of us and we'd be relying on a favour from Kildare, which we won't get.

Thought Forde situation dealt with badly. Was there no stretcher there at all? Bad to make him hobbble around the perimeter of the pitch. So much for professional set up.
    Looks like Down will cost us but at least the 3 matches since then have been a lot more positive. A 4th win over Clare which wont be easy will sign off the NFL with a feeling McEntee is putting his stamp on things.

Hurling final Saturday at 17.00 in Parnell Park. I'd urge all of us to go to that as that match is crucial.

Thought Forde situation dealt with badly. Was there no stretcher there at all? Bad to make him hobbble around the perimeter of the pitch. So much for professional set up.
    Looks like Down will cost us but at least the 3 matches since then have been a lot more positive. A 4th win over Clare which wont be easy will sign off the NFL with a feeling McEntee is putting his stamp on things.

Hurling final Saturday at 17.00 in Parnell Park. I'd urge all of us to go to that as that match is crucial.
    There was clearly a stretcher propped up in front of the stand. Can't understand why it wasn't used.
    Clare will be tough. Especially given that their hurlers are playing Dublin after the game which will probably mean a bigger crowd watching their footballers than usual.

Massive game in Parnell Park. The match yesterday seemed to give a lot of fringe players game time going by this team:

J McCloskey; L Ferguson, K Keoghan (0-1), J Andrews; S Kelly, D Kelly, P Kelly; M O'Grady, C McCabe (0-1); D Reilly (0-1), J Walsh (0-1), G Kelly (1-0); G McGowan (0-4), P Farrell (1-12, 0-11f), L Martyn (1-0). Subs: M Cullen (0-2) for G McGowan, M Healy for D Reilly, C O'Rourke for J Andrews, L Moran for K Keoghan, E MacDonnachadh (0-1) for L Martyn.
    I thought initially they were going to schedule it for Sunday afternoon.

• Advertisement

My God, that hurling team put out in Ratoath is closer to a "Meath XV" than a Meath team. Several of them were called in just to play that one match, and I know a few of them played a full football match that morning for their clubs too.

Advertisement