Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

My God, that hurling team put out in Ratoath is closer to a "Meath XV" than a Meath team. Several of them were called in just to play that one match, and I know a few of them played a full football match that morning for their clubs too.
    Ha, so it was true? I heard that as well but wasn't sure if the lad that told me was pulling my leg.
    Surely we can't mess this promotion up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I knew we were going to play a scratch team but that selection really took me aback alright. Not one player who started vs. Down started vs. Wicklow, and only one player from the Derry game started. The Meath management mustn't even want Wicklow to know who our subs are.

This is our 4th 2B final in 6 years, and the first time we're really the favourite. We played Kildare twice, plus London in between but each time fell short. If we can't get it done this year than we may as well give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Don't think it's quite as bad as that lads..not quite the good old days where the manager might have a look around the car park to see who has the boots with them!
    Keith Keoghan and Gavin McGowan are two of our best players. Dara Kelly was probably in line to be close to the starting 15 before injury early in the year. I wasn't at the game, but looking at that team and subs used, of the 4/5 who probably haven't been involved at all in either Walsh Cup or League, they are probably all going to be with the U21s this year.

Leaving all of that aside, I agree, surely this finally has to be the year to get out of 2B. I know Wicklow will be decent, but I think this team have developed some class and maturity and finally seem to be able to win games they are expected to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Anyone hear any more on Fordes Injury?

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Anyone hear any more on Fordes Injury?
    http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=268321
    Well sh!t.
    Even worse is that he didn't actually have to make the challenge as the Fermanagh player had lost control of the ball.
    Such a shame as he was beginning to get back to the form he briefly showed back in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Lads, Is Stephen O'Connor still on the football panel?

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Lads, Is Stephen O'Connor still on the football panel?
    Haven't seen O'Connor at all between OBC and League. Lowndes made an appearance against DIT but was obviously cut soon after.

I'd urge everyone to make a special effort to make it to Parnell Park tomorrow at 5pm for the 2B final. It's been a phenomenal 12 months for Meath hurling and this could be the third piece of silverware in 12 months for the county sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Haven't seen O'Connor at all between OBC and League. Lowndes made an appearance against DIT but was obviously cut soon after.

Heard from Eric Lowndes a few weeks ago Stuart was still on the Meath panel for the league but was out due to injury (concussion), he could have been dropped from the panel since though.

14 changes to Kildare's team. It'll be Division 2 next year regardless of what happens tomorrow.

Any sign of a team for the hurlers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

14 changes to Kildare's team. It'll be Division 2 next year regardless of what happens tomorrow.

Any sign of a team for the hurlers?

I saw that. I've screen shot the line up in the hope it can be thrown in their faces some time in the future. It's hard to blame them, but that doesn't make it any easier to stomach

From a Meath POV obviously it's disappointing but I'd expect us to do the same thing if we were in that situation. Had we bothered to show up against Down it would have been in our own hands tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

From a Meath POV obviously it's disappointing but I'd expect us to do the same thing if we were in that situation. Had we bothered to show up against Down it would have been in our own hands tomorrow.

14 changes is a lot. But you wouldn't know how it'll pan out as a lot of lads there will be eager to take their chance and put in a good claim for league final place. Still, hard to see anything but a Galway win. They should have big support behind them too as it's an attractive double header.

Hurlers lead 2-9 to 2-6 at half time. Not a convincing performance. The high ball into our full back line is killing us like it always does. Both of Wicklow's goals came from a high ball in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Need not of worried. Very convincing in the end.
    By far the best team in that division. Average winning margin must of been about 10-12 points.
    Roll on Kerry on April 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Best team won.Well done to ye.

Bout time.

Biggy! What a performance
    Matters for nothing but at least we've had two confidence builders before the Louth/Carlow game.

Another league and so close but so far. Feck Kildare anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

iDave wrote: »
    Another league and so close but so far. Feck Kildare anyway!

Cant blame kildare, the Down game cost us, thats where our promotion chance was lost and no surprise its since that game we have improved significantly, maybe another year in div.2 might not be to bad, probably not good enough at the minute for div.1, bring the improvement into the championship, have a good run and get ready for next year and promotion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

fine performance by yer lads in the second half today , especially from menton o.sullivan and graham Reilly who was outstanding , ye look like a side that is getting its act together under the new management which is great for football in general , disappointed for ye that kildare couldnt do ye that favor but as someone said it was the down game that caught ye , if there is any positive it would be that ye have improved 10 fold from that night in newry

spotted the tg4 truck on my way out this evening hopefully they will only show the highlights of the hurling tomorrow night :pac::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Really enjoyable 10 seconds of highlights from the game today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Really enjoyable 10 seconds of highlights from the game today.

thank god thats all they showed!! , tg4 will show a lot more tomorrow night i imagine

Good read on the hurlers when you have time

https://thecon.ie/meath-and-the-odyssey-of-the-christy-ring-cup-15f9122f3b8c

So in 2018 Div 2 to look like this.

Cavan
    Roscommon
    Meath
    Cork
    Clare
    Down
    Louth
    Tipperary

Wonder what sort of bouncebackabilty Cavan and Ros have. Ros had a lot of players missing who would come back if McStay left so they could be a different prospect. Cork cant be as bad again surely. A feisty derby with Louth and emerging Clare and Tipp wont make it easy

Hurling 2A

Kerry
    Carlow
    Kildare
    Westmeath
    London
    Meath

Hard to know until Leinster round robin how we stack up against some of those teams but youd be confident of survival. Antrim got promoted from that group and we beat them for fun last year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

What's the deal with Hoganstand recently - no articles/discussion being posted on the Meath page?

happygoose wrote: »
    What's the deal with Hoganstand recently - no articles/discussion being posted on the Meath page?
    Try refreshing the page. I had a problem with it recently when I went to the page and it hadn't been updated for days. I refreshed the page and the new articles appeared.

Shame they don't stop that royaldunne clown from posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

happygoose wrote: »

Hopefully the message board is closed :D Missed the match because I was away but it's a great result, just a pity the Down game was a killer, but at the same time another year for the management to develop lads might be better, I wouldn't fear anyone in Division 2 next year, and for me the key is to go up and stay up.

Great stuff from the hurlers too, they're probably where they need to be now too league wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

iDave wrote: »
    Hurling 2A

Kerry
    Carlow
    Kildare
    Westmeath
    London
    Meath

Hard to know until Leinster round robin how we stack up against some of those teams but youd be confident of survival. Antrim got promoted from that group and we beat them for fun last year ;)

It will be a big year for a lot of teams, Kerry will be eager to get straight back up and have built good experience in 1B and the round robin stages in Leinster.

Kildare have a few new players who will probably settle a bit better next year and will be dangerous. Carlow and Westmeath have both put in some good performances in various competitions over the last 2 years.

Having said that, Meath shouldn't and won't fear anyone. If they stay the Liam McCarthy this year they should be full of confidence going into that group. Great to see Meath at this level.

Advertisement