Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭poppers

Is the Meath GAA website acting up for anyone else at the moment? Can't seem to access the results/fixture pages.
    Like that now for the last 10 days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Got into the fixtures there no bother, when is the championship planned to start??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

rpurfield wrote: »
    Got into the fixtures there no bother, when is the championship planned to start??
    Did I hear somewhere that the championship wasn't going to start until the senior team get knocked out? It was just going to be league games until then?
    Maybe I'm completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Did I hear somewhere that the championship wasn't going to start until the senior team get knocked out? It was just going to be league games until then?
    Maybe I'm completely wrong.

It would be better if they went with that. I hate the idea of playing 1 championship game and then not getting the 2nd game until July/August time

Felexicon wrote: »
    It would be better if they went with that. I hate the idea of playing 1 championship game and then not getting the 2nd game until July/August time
    Agreed. Like I said though, I'm not sure if I imagined that or not.

Minor team to face Dublin tomorrow in Parnell Park:
    Andrew Beakey (St Colmcille's); Sean Ryan (Dunboyne), Dan Devine (Na Fianna), Robbie Clarke (Skryne); Adam Murphy (Moynalvey), John Keane (Summerhill), Jack Hetherington (Dunshaughlin); Cian Swaine (Clann na nGael - captain), Liam Byrne (Dunboyne); Connell Ahearne (Ratoath), Sean Martin (Na Fianna), Paddy Conway (Dunboyne); Jordan Morris (Nobber), Shane Walsh (Na Fianna), Conor Freyne (Summerhill).

Subs:Dylan Scully (St Oliver's), Saran O Fionnagain (Wolfe Tones), Robert Smyth (Oldcastle), Caolan Ward (Wolfe Tones), Niall Mulvey (Longwood), Joseph Donnolly (Kilbride), Liam Shaw (Summerhill), Dan Comiskey (Dunboyne), Sean Bannon (Ballinabrackey).

Hard to know how this game will go. Dublin played their U17s in the league so their poor performances in that can't really be used as a yardstick. Regardless, this Meath team is a good bit better than last years team that were desperately unlucky not to win a Leinster so we should be aiming for a win tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭mattser

Agreed. Like I said though, I'm not sure if I imagined that or not.

Minor team to face Dublin tomorrow in Parnell Park:

Hard to know how this game will go. Dublin played their U17s in the league so their poor performances in that can't really be used as a yardstick. Regardless, this Meath team is a good bit better than last years team that were desperately unlucky not to win a Leinster so we should be aiming for a win tomorrow.

Biggest percentage for years of south county players on a Meath team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Felexicon wrote: »

Leaves a lot of football if we manage to hang in there till August or even September (wishful thinking) I just notice the league is fixed over the next couple weeks meaning 7 rounds played by the end of this month. It's not a bad thing I could never get my head around a league starting in February and ending in October/November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

mattser wrote: »
    Biggest percentage for years of south county players on a Meath team.

Considering how much of the population growth of the county has been in the South+East of the county, it's unsurprising really.

Out of interest, which clubs are included in the St. Oliver's amalgamation?

Shane McGann (Kiltale); Shane Whitty (Blackhall Gaels), Damian Healy (Longwood - captain), Cormac Reilly (Navan O'Mahonys); Shane Brennan (Kilmessan), Daragh Kelly (Ratoath), Keith Keoghan (Killyon); Anthony Forde (Kiltale), Joey Keena (Kilmessan); Sean Quigley (St Peter's Dunboyne), Steven Clynch (Kilmessan), James Kelly (Kiltale); Gavin McGowan (Ratoath), Mark O?Sullivan (Kiltale), Adam Gannon (Killyon).

Team for tomorrow named. Healy starts at full back with Whitty moving to corner back. Gav McGowan comes into corner forward. I'd say we'll need a few goals to get something out of the game.

• Advertisement

Going well. 1-10 to 3 points at half time.

Jesus lads. Way to emulate the senior team.
    1-11 apiece. Extra time to come.

Wow. Dublin win 1-15 to 1-13 after extra time. Thank God for the back door. Maybe the last 50 minutes will give them a kick in the hole. Only 3 points scored after half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Took their scores so well in the first half. From difficult angles and under pressure. Scored for fun. Was getting hopeful the Dublin conveyor wasn't producing any more.
    Then they scored 1 point in the second half.
    Seems like not finishing teams off has infected every level of Meath football.

What is it with Coyler's teams and losing 10 point leads?
    Up against Laois in the qualifier. This is a talented team in my view, but we have no room for error now.

Good first half for the hurlers. Responded well to the goal and got a lucky one themselves. Deserve the half time lead. All to play for.

Great win in the end. Proud of the lads. Had a 9 point whittled to 3 in injury time by a Kerry goal and it got nervy but we bounced back with a goal of our own to finish them off. That should see us safe in Leinster for next year and we can even dream now of a Leinster quarter final now.

Great win. We panicked far too much towards the end and could/should have been caught in injury time but it would have been extremely harsh given how we dominated the game for most of it.

Not guaranteed to be safe just yet. A loss to Laois and a Kerry win next week would make the last game slightly uncomfortable. We really should be aiming for the quarter final now.

A QF would be fantastic. Guaranteed an extra game after that regardless.
    How does it work if equal on points? Presume head to head same as the league.

So the JFC and JBFC draws have been declared null and void and new draws need to be made.

• Advertisement

So the JFC and JBFC draws have been declared null and void and new draws need to be made.

Any reason given why?

Any reason given why?
    I think the whole relegating two extra second teams and grouping second teams in their own group(s) were what caused the redraw. That system will be brought in next year.
    Bit of a kick to both Clonard and Moynalty. I know they didn't necessarily deserve to be in the JFC (given Clonard were relegated and Moynalty lost the Junior B final) but they've been preparing for Junior A for the last few months only now to be told that they're actually in Junior B.

It was a bit clumsy looking to begin with, I was dubious after it first passed. They declared they'd be looking at expressions of interest to see what second teams would wish to be relegated. I've a feeling nobody applied for that one.

I suppose it's a good thing that there's rules against abruptly promoting and relegating arbitrary teams in between seasons. It's only fair to get at least a years notice to try and stay up.

No change for the minor hurlers to play Laois in the Leinster quarter final.
    Aaron Dunne; Brian O Reilly, Cormac Butler, Sean Coffey; Jamie Connolly, David McGowan, Brin Kelly; Evan Fitzgerald, Darren Hennessy; Jacob Ryan, Tom Fadden, Jamie Leavey; Brian Dowling, Mikey Mullen, Nicky Potterton.

Not great preparation for some of the squad after being beaten by 38 points by Offaly in the U17 hurling league during the week.

So what do ye think? 6 weeks out from the championship and the county players were supposedly stopped from playing with their clubs last weekend in the league as they had a match between squad members on Saturday.
    Bit much by Andy. Another two rounds of league games over the next couple of weekends. I'd assume that they'll be stopped from playing in those games also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

So what do ye think? 6 weeks out from the championship and the county players were supposedly stopped from playing with their clubs last weekend in the league as they had a match between squad members on Saturday.
    Bit much by Andy. Another two rounds of league games over the next couple of weekends. I'd assume that they'll be stopped from playing in those games also?

Jokeshop sh1te but par the course in all counties now,Unless HQ brings in a calendar where there are designated rounds of club league with county players available this cráp will continue.

Thankfully this is just around the corner

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Jokeshop sh1te but par the course in all counties now,Unless HQ brings in a calendar where there are designated rounds of club league with county players available this cr?p will continue.

Thankfully this is just around the corner
    From a purely selfish point of view, it could greatly affect promotion/relegation in division 1 & 2. We (Ratoath) will probably be without our 6 footballers (not to mention our 2 hurlers) for the next couple of weekends. We managed against Meath Hill last weekend but have Nobber tomorrow and Ballinabrackey the following weekend. We could be out of the hunt for promotion after these two games.

Minor hurlers were knocked out by Laois at the quarter final stage. They left themselves with too much to do in the second half. They were 1-16 to 5 points down at half time but pulled it back to 5 points in the end. 1-19 to 1-14 it finished.

Team for tomorrow:
    Can't see how Damien Healy will start.
    C-mEYg-WsAIWdOE.jpg

Surprised Healy named.

Shame about the minors. U17s shipped huge defeat to Offaly midweek also.
    Long way to go for Meath hurling.

Still looking forward to tomorrow.

Learning about life in Liam today.

• Advertisement

Harsh lesson so far. 15 points down at half time. Their midfielder has scored 3-5. All 3 were just poor defending. We've had chances at the other end but have been crowded out too often.
    Strong wind at our backs. It's essential we close the gap. With Kerry beating Westmeath, a loss next weekend could still see us go down on score difference.

Advertisement