Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

A serious wind out there Need to use it big time to get back into this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Don't think today could have gone worse. Kerry beating Westmeath is a disaster too.

We now need to beat (or draw with) Westmeath in Mullingar. In the event that we lose, to stay up we need Laois to beat Kerry by 6 points more than we lost to Westmeath by. Unfortunately Laois are already through and since it makes no difference whether they come first or second they mightn't be going hell for leather to beat a Kerry team playing at home fighting for survival.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Disappointing. Really steep learning curve for the team. Some really basic mistakes that were ruthlessly punished by Laois. Didn't help that we missed so many goal chances.
    Could have made it more respectable without the red card.

Footballers beat Down in Kilmainham 5-12 to 13 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Disappointing. Really steep learning curve for the team. Some really basic mistakes that were ruthlessly punished by Laois. Didn't help that we missed so many goal chances.
    Could have made it more respectable without the red card.

Footballers beat Down in Kilmainham 5-12 to 13 points.
    Hammer Archer, any idea what the team that played the football was ? also do you know is Micky Newman part of the panel this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

No point in getting too disheartened. Laois have been operating at a higher level than Meath for a long time now. They were playing Galway in a Leinster semi not that long ago while we'd been playing Armagh, Wicklow etc at CR level.
    Its still in our own hands to qualify for the next round but even if we end up relegated its not the end of the world. Going forward CR winners go straight to the qualifiers.

• Advertisement

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Hammer Archer, any idea what the team that played the football was ? also do you know is Micky Newman part of the panel this year?
    Wasn't at it. Fergal Lynch posted the team below:

C-roZipXgAEzTmp.jpg

I think Newman was injured early on in the season and wasn't brought in before the end of the league while he was getting back to fitness. I'd assume that he'll be part of the squad for the championship.

Team for the minors' game against Laois tomorrow is named. No changes from the one that started against the Dubs.
    Andrew Beakey St Colmcilles, Sean Ryan Dunboyne, Dan Devine Na Fianna, Robbie Clarke Skryne, Adam Murphy Moynalvey, John Keane Summerhill, Jack Hetherington Dunshaughlin, Cian Swaine Clann Na nGael, Liam Byrne Dunboyne, Paddy Conway Dunboyne, Sean Martin Na Fianna, Connell Ahearne Ratoath, Jordan Morris Nobber, Shane Walsh Na Fianna, Conor Frayne Summerhill

No more chances if we slip up. Would be bitterly disappointing if this team were to bow out early. Hopefully the second half in the last game will have given both the players and management a kick in the hole.

6 points to 4 up at half time. Will be against a strong wind in the second half though.

Jesus we were 10-5 up after just over 10 minutes of the second half and failed to score again. Eerily familiar to 2008 when Coyle was over the seniors. Coyle didn't look like he had a clue. With the wind in the first half and we were playing short 5 yard passes in our full back line. The few times we did play it in quickly, we got some joy out of it.

People will say again that the players aren't there, but that's a cop out in my opinion. On paper, this was a very talented group and we end up losing both games and are out before the summer.

Eerily familiar to 2008. Seems eerily familiar to Dublin 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭rpurfield

iDave wrote: »
    Eerily familiar to 2008. Seems eerily familiar to Dublin 2 weeks ago.

Wasn't at it myself but talking to a couple who were and the general opinion was Laois were pretty poor and some of the blame for the loss lies at managements feet. The stuff mighn't be there in terms of winnng an All Ireland but surely the stuff is there to at least have a decent crack at leinster!

So Moynalty and Clonard retain their JFC status for the coming season and NOM and Simonstown will play in group C (which now has 8 teams) with the other second teams . Overall, there are now 20 teams in the Junior A Championship.

No idea how relegation will work.

So Moynalty and Clonard retain their JFC status for the coming season and NOM and Simonstown will play in group C (which now has 8 teams) with the other second teams . Overall, there are now 20 teams in the Junior A Championship.

No idea how relegation will work.

I'd say the county board don't know either

rpurfield wrote: »
    I'd say the county board don't know either
    They've a great tendency just to make things up as they go along.

Football championship fixtures are out. Games to be played from May 17th - 23rd.
    http://hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=270060

If (please god) the hurlers win at the weekend and qualify, it'll be interesting to see if they're allowed play in these games. The Leinster quarter finals are due to be played the following weekend (May 27th).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

They've a great tendency just to make things up as they go along.

Football championship fixtures are out. Games to be played from May 17th - 23rd.
    http://hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=270060

If (please god) the hurlers win at the weekend and qualify, it'll be interesting to see if they're allowed play in these games. The Leinster quarter finals are due to be played the following weekend (May 27th).

I've seen tweets from a few clubs saying that some of the fixtures are provisional depending on how the hurlers do. If hurlers win it wouldn't surprise me if all of the first round was scrapped and the first round played on June 10th, which was originally supposed to be Round 2 in the fixture planner.

I know I said a while ago it would be a bit mad to leave the champo until the county teams are done and dusted, but that will pretty much happen if the hurlers do qualify. Will they go ahead with non hurling affected games ie we're down to play Skryne if both clubs gave the lads hurls they'd not know what way to hold em!!!!

Top marks for putting a positive spin on things goes to whatever PRO is trying to claim the fact many clubs have to amalgamate just to field teams underage is an "increase in hurling participation and competitiveness in the county".

http://hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=270162

"Alternative facts" hit Meath GAA....

Top marks for putting a positive spin on things goes to whatever PRO is trying to claim the fact many clubs have to amalgamate just to field teams underage is an "increase in hurling participation and competitiveness in the county".

http://hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=270162

"Alternative facts" hit Meath GAA....

It's probably not a bad thing if it's not traditional hurling places, ourselves and the Cilles have an amalgamated under age team, I think U14, but there's massive hurling work going on in both clubs and I'd imagine both clubs will eventually field on their own.

rpurfield wrote: »
    It's probably not a bad thing if it's not traditional hurling places, ourselves and the Cilles have an amalgamated under age team, I think U14, but there's massive hurling work going on in both clubs and I'd imagine both clubs will eventually field on their own.

I saw the St.Colmcilles/St. Patricks amalgamation alright and it's pleasing to see. That sort of joining up is fine and expected. Same with Kilskyre/Moylagh/Wolfe Tones and probably Kells, since hurling really doesn't have the same depth in the North of the county.

I'm more concerned about the fact Kilmessan, Killyon, Boardsmill, Longwood, Drumree, Rathmolyon etc. all need to amalgamate just to field underage. Not only that but it's somehow being portrayed as a positive.

Drumree has always confused me, they are the hurling team for Dunshaughlin, but there just doesn't seem to be much interest in Dunshaughlin for it. Kiltale, Kilmessan, Blackhall, Ratoath all surround it and have solid hurling teams, yet Drumree never seem to be up to much.

I saw the St.Colmcilles/St. Patricks amalgamation alright and it's pleasing to see. That sort of joining up is fine and expected. Same with Kilskyre/Moylagh/Wolfe Tones and probably Kells, since hurling really doesn't have the same depth in the North of the county.

I'm more concerned about the fact Kilmessan, Killyon, Boardsmill, Longwood, Drumree, Rathmolyon etc. all need to amalgamate just to field underage. Not only that but it's somehow being portrayed as a positive.

Drumree has always confused me, they are the hurling team for Dunshaughlin, but there just doesn't seem to be much interest in Dunshaughlin for it. Kiltale, Kilmessan, Blackhall, Ratoath all surround it and have solid hurling teams, yet Drumree never seem to be up to much.

Yeah I take your point in regards of traditional areas, it seems to be creeping into football now a bit too and playing lower numbers a side too to get teams out. Maybe there's some underlying issue that needs looking at but I'd agree with you it isn't a positive.

• Advertisement

Devastating. We left that behind us. Why we persisted with the extra man in the back line until the last 10 minutes is beyond me.
    As is often the case (and probably a hang up from playing division 2B) Westmeath were able to get control of the sliotar far easier than us. They must have caught 10-15 clean balls throughout. Whereas we always need an extra second or two leading to us being closed down.
    Felt that the referee gave frees that bit easier to Westmeath. But why did we not drop the last free into the square??? A point was worth nothing at that stage.

Disappointing to go straight back down. I think we may have felt that one win was enough and never reached the heights of the Kerry game again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

to compete with the towns the rural clubs have to combine players.
    I cannot see why anyone is surprised

its happening in every county

Definately feel Meath left that one behind them. A little bit more guile going forward was needed. Westmeath were always a wee bit ahead of us and felt we'd need a goal as we werent going to out point them. The goal never looked like coming though.
    We're relegated but it was the best possible relegation as it was down to score difference and we still finished on same amount of points as a promoted team. If Antrim win CR this year we'd be hot favourites to win it again next year so still plenty to be hopeful of.
    Cant help but think what sort of influence Toher would of had on the pitch yesterday.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    to compete with the towns the rural clubs have to combine players.
    I cannot see why anyone is surprised

its happening in every county

But that means that where previously 2 clubs would field 26 players between them in a thirteen a side competition, now they only field 15 between the 2. How can cutting the playing time of 11 underage players be of benefit to hurling?

On an unrelated topic I find it somewhat hypocritical for Martin Ennis to give out about "no more competitive hurling for these lads till February" when:

1. The lads will have plenty of hurling with their clubs for the next 3 or 4 months, not everything revolves around the county panel

2. Some of the extended panel players on the Meath panel haven't played a competitive game for anyone since their clubs got knocked out of the championship last september. 5 months into the year and I think the county hurlers have been released once to their clubs for the league.

SFC up and running.
    Dunboyne 1-12 Dunshaughlin 1-7
    Cathal O'Dwyer scored 1-6 of Dunshaughlin's tally.

Results from the last couple of days:

SFC
    Gaeil Colmcille 1-11, Wolfe Tones 0-11
    Donaghmore Ashbourne 2-13, Rathkenny 1-13
    Navan O?Mahonys 1-13, Blackhall Gaels 1-10
    Simonstown 1-16, St Colmcilles 2-12
    Moynalvey 0-17, Seneschalstown 1-9
    Ratoath 1-14, Na Fianna 0-14
    St Patricks 2-16, Skryne 1-10

IFC
    Ballinabrackey 1-12, Bective 0-12
    Curraha 0-14, Kilmainham 1-9
    Walterstown 1-11, St Ultans 0-10

JFC
    Cortown 2-11, Clann Na nGael 1-11
    St Vincents 1-12, Kilmainhamwood 0-7

Massive win for St. Pat's against Skryne. Could Skryne be in danger of relegation this season?
    I was at the Ratoath - Na Fianna game. Good to get the win but should have won by more. Played our way into trouble too many times. Missed three gilt edged goal chances too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭mattser

Results from the last couple of days:

SFC
    Gaeil Colmcille 1-11, Wolfe Tones 0-11
    Donaghmore Ashbourne 2-13, Rathkenny 1-13
    Navan O?Mahonys 1-13, Blackhall Gaels 1-10
    Simonstown 1-16, St Colmcilles 2-12
    Moynalvey 0-17, Seneschalstown 1-9
    Ratoath 1-14, Na Fianna 0-14
    St Patricks 2-16, Skryne 1-10

IFC
    Ballinabrackey 1-12, Bective 0-12
    Curraha 0-14, Kilmainham 1-9
    Walterstown 1-11, St Ultans 0-10

JFC
    Cortown 2-11, Clann Na nGael 1-11
    St Vincents 1-12, Kilmainhamwood 0-7

Massive win for St. Pat's against Skryne. Could Skryne be in danger of relegation this season?
    I was at the Ratoath - Na Fianna game. Good to get the win but should have won by more. Played our way into trouble too many times. Missed three gilt edged goal chances too.

SFC on a Wednesday/Thursday ?

mattser wrote: »
    SFC on a Wednesday/Thursday ?
    I'd assume that the clubs in question agreed.
    Lots of talk about the admission prices yesterday. Stories of venues charging students and OAPS ?8, charging kids a fiver and not a team sheet in sight at most grounds (including Pairc Tailteann).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭mattser

I'd assume that the clubs in question agreed.
    Lots of talk about the admission prices yesterday. Stories of venues charging students and OAPS ?8, charging kids a fiver and not a team sheet in sight at most grounds (including Pairc Tailteann).

That's shocking.

• Advertisement

Didn't get to the Pats match last night as I was working late nearly all week so the missus would've shot me, but I was talking to a few today about it, Pats played well but Paddy O'Rourke missed five or six long range frees too. Also got told that apparently Harry Rooney and a few others are off travelling until July so they were short. All in all probably a good time to get them but at the same time the reports are that Pats played some serious stuff second half.

I was told today now there'll be a round of Championship after the Louth/Wicklow game should we win. I can't see that happening to be honest

Advertisement