Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I suppose Ratoath have quite a big hurling history. A lot of the older guys in the club would have been big into hurling and as a result, hurling has been pushed equally to football in the last few years. Also helps that we've Curraha players in there as well.

Drumree/Dunshaughlin are a confusing one. They've a big catchment area and are right in the middle of a load of big senior hurling clubs (Dunboyne, Ratoath, BHG, Kiltale, Kilmessan) yet they seem to make zero effort in promoting the game in the last 5 or 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

sc86 wrote: »
    st pats dont do much , think they have few underage teams again ?
    st colmcilles have underage teams now i think?
    ?

Pats and Cilles are running a joint team at U12 level, well it was U12 last year and they seem to be fairly good. Not sure what the Cilles are doing otherwise but Pats are running it from U12 down in the club and separate to the football (it used to be part of he training at U6 etc a few years ago). We'd teams in the Gormanston indoor league this year including a camoige U10 team for the first time. The work is being done in the club but it will take time to bear fruit. There's an adult team too but don't be suprised if that dies away in a couple of years until the underage teams mentioned above come through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

That wasnt a hurling v football rant either

Just find it odd in some areas kids dont get option to play both games , then continue to play them if they enjoy it , if they dont then fine

i see theres a new north meath kids hurling team started since last summer also

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

If hurling wants to gain traction I think they need to simplify and refine where it is played. Somebody pointed out the Drumree/Dunshaughlin situation. Dunshaughlin plays the football and Drumree plays the hurling. The fact of the matter is most new people to Dunshaughlin (A lot recently and much more to come) have never even heard of a place called Drumree never mind knowing that's where hurling is played in that neck of the woods. Some hard decisions need to be made here but in my view, Drumree should be scrapped and all the egg's put into the Dunshaughlin basket and have both codes played under the one club.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/cillian-o-sullivan-another-fork-in-the-road-for-meath-footballer-1.3811263

Interesting interview with Cillian O’Sullivan showing what he’s gone through to get back from injury and what has to be done to keep young players playing after minor.

• Advertisement

Usually a B league division 5 game wouldn't be worth a mention, but this result caught my eye from this evening in Ardcath (assuming it's correct) :

Kilbride 0-01, St. Vincent's 0-00.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Usually a B league division 5 game wouldn't be worth a mention, but this result caught my eye from this evening in Ardcath (assuming it's correct) :

Kilbride 0-01, St. Vincent's 0-00.

Wasnt played. Kilbride turned up, Vincent's hadn't a team and gave them the game

kerry37 wrote: »
    Wasnt played. Kilbride turned up, Vincent's hadn't a team and gave them the game
    Ah OK. Cheers for that.

Ah OK. Cheers for that.

No bother. Was of interest to me when you posted the result. I play for Ashbourne juniors and our division 5 team had a good win away to Clonard 1-10 to 1-8. So had to check out the Kilbride result.

kerry37 wrote: »
    No bother. Was of interest to me when you posted the result. I play for Ashbourne juniors and our division 5 team had a good win away to Clonard 1-10 to 1-8. So had to check out the Kilbride result.
    Found it odd alright, usually the website shows walkovers.

Hurlers were 8 points to 7 up at half time in Killarney. They failed to score in the second half and ended up losing 3-15 to 8 points. Another disappointing hurling league campaign.

5 points down to Kildare at half time. If we are to lose, we have to keep our score difference intact.

• Advertisement

Found it odd alright, usually the website shows walkovers.

Hurlers were 8 points to 7 up at half time in Killarney. They failed to score in the second half and ended up losing 3-15 to 8 points. Another disappointing hurling league campaign.

5 points down to Kildare at half time. If we are to lose, we have to keep our score difference intact.

Saw that result. Very poor from yer hurlers, conditions far from ideal but the same for both sides. They'll be disappointed with themselves. We should have a very good chance of a league final now though.

Late win for the footballers puts ye in a very strong promotion position so not a disastrous weekend

Get in! Fantastic win.
    Surely even we cannot make a mess of this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Some feeling that is. Should have won by about 10 points. All Kildare were interested in doing in the second half was time-wasting. Would have been sickening to lose that to them the way they played.
    Donal Keogan was incredible yet again and what a pass by Graham Reilly in the build up to the penalty.

Still likely have to win the last two games to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

If I was to say one thing to Meath footballers after that win, it would be score your points and the goals will come!

They very nearly lost the game by going for goals when they should have been tapping the ball over the bar.

Was the penalty correctly awarded? I thought it was but speaking to a man on the way home from the game he reckoned Mattie Kerrigan said on LMFM it definitely wasn’t a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

Looked a stonewall peno to me too. I thought we were kicking it away with wide after wide but fair play we kept at it. We were all over them in the second half.
    Good to come out the right side of a tight game with kildare

Was Niall Kane’s arm broken? I heard someone say dislocation but it looked fairly bad to me when he came off.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Was Niall Kane’s arm broken? I heard someone say dislocation but it looked fairly bad to me when he came off.

Fergal Lynch from The Chronicle said it was a break. Didn't look good as he came off.

I thought that was a massive win today. Kildare kicked some brilliant points first half from distance where we were wasteful. To stick at it and dog it out is huge, in the last few years we would've folded. Cillian O'Sullivan was excellent again, so was Donal Keogan. Niall Kane was good when he came in too, really unfortunate to be injured.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Fergal Lynch from The Chronicle said it was a break. Didn't look good as he came off.

I thought that was a massive win today. Kildare kicked some brilliant points first half from distance where we were wasteful. To stick at it and dog it out is huge, in the last few years we would've folded. Cillian O'Sullivan was excellent again, so was Donal Keogan. Niall Kane was good when he came in too, really unfortunate to be injured.

Was Mickey Newman carrying an injury or why was Ben Brennan taking frees?

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Was Mickey Newman carrying an injury or why was Ben Brennan taking frees?

Not sure myself now, I thought it strange he went off when he did considering place balls could be vital so maybe it was a knock

• Advertisement

Football championship draws were made this evening.

SFC

Group A
    Seneschalstown
    Navan O’Mahonys
    Skryne
    St Patricks
    Gaeil Colmcille
    Dunshaughlin

Group B
    Moynalvey
    Rathkenny
    Longwood
    Ratoath
    Donaghmore Ashbourne
    Summerhill

Group C
    Dunboyne
    Curraha
    Na Fianna
    St Colmcilles
    Simonstown
    Wolfe Tones

IFC

Group A
    Oldcastle
    Nobber
    Meath Hill
    Kilmainham
    Drumbaragh
    Ballinlough

Group B
    Castletown
    Syddan
    St Michaels
    Bective
    Trim
    Ballinabrackey

Group C
    Blackhall Gaels
    Donaghmore Ashbourne
    Dunboyne
    Duleek Bellewstown
    Walterstown
    Dunderry

JFC

Group A
    Ballivor
    Carnaross
    Moynalty
    Clonard
    St Ultans
    Moylagh

Group B
    Cortown
    Kilminhamwood
    St Vincents
    Dunsany
    Clann na nGael
    St Brigids

Group C
    O’Mahonys
    Seneschalstown
    Gaeil Colmcille
    Na Fianna
    Skryne
    Dunshaughlin
    Summerhill
    Wolfe Tones

JFC B

Group A
    Slane
    Boardsmill
    Drumconrath
    Kilbride
    St Mary’s

Group B
    Nobber
    Ratoath
    Moynalvey
    Dunboyne
    Duleek Bellewstown

Group C
    St Colmcilles
    St Patrick’s
    Simonstown
    Donaghmore Ashbourne
    Trim

Group C in senior looks like the group of death. You'd fear for Curraha in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Is there any footage available from the Cork game last week, or the Kildare game yesterday?
    Not living in Ireland and can't get TG4

pipelaser wrote: »
    Is there any footage available from the Cork game last week, or the Kildare game yesterday?
    Not living in Ireland and can't get TG4

The kildare game was featured for a minute or 2 on the Sunday game if you can access rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Highlights on RTÉ were a shambles. Didn't even show the penalty incident.

That SFC Group A :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

What's the craic with this year's jerseys?

Same as last year or a new one coming out?

What's the craic with this year's jerseys?

Same as last year or a new one coming out?

A new one would be out if it was coming by now.

Game off in Ennis today. To be refixed for either tomorrow or Monday

Refixed for tomorrow at 2.
    Good result for us in the Fermanagh game today. Means that we’d be in our own at the top of the table if we were to win tomorrow. Also if we were to win, it’d mean that only a large defeat in our last game could deny us promotion.
    But we’re Meath. We still have plenty of opportunities to fcuk it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Refixed for tomorrow at 2.
    Good result for us in the Fermanagh game today. Means that we’d be in our own at the top of the table if we were to win tomorrow. Also if we were to win, it’d mean that only a large defeat in our last game could deny us promotion.
    But we’re Meath. We still have plenty of opportunities to fcuk it up.

i hope it goes ahead lads especially for everyone that traveled down , the game matters little to us as we will need to beat Tipperary in our last game to stay in the division win lose or draw against meath

but this has been probably the worst week for rain in nearly 10 years down here so dont be surprised if there is a change of venue or called off again not much has changed in 24 hours

Advertisement