Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

find it strange the county board getting credit for the kids being on the field at half time
    they were the very people who were blocking it
    it was always a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

When is Pairc Tailteann getting shut down for the redevelopment works?
    I thought the Tyrone game last year was to be the last championship game played there, which meant (or so I thought) that after this league campaign, the works would begin?

In that event, that would mean all our Division 1 games next year would have to be moved elsewhere?
    Where would they be played in that event, since none of the club grounds would be capable of holding such crowds, and the potential for the necessity of TV cameras too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Great first half. Should be further ahead. Newman is having a stormer. Defence is very solid.
    Anyone enlighten me on the intricacies of the square ball rule? Are you considered to be in the square if any part of your body is in the square?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Great first half. Should be further ahead. Newman is having a stormer. Defence is very solid. Anyone enlighten me on the intricacies of the square ball rule? Are you considered to be in the square if any part of your body is in the square?

Was a fairly blatant square ball. By the time the hand pass was struck he was fully in the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Great first half. Should be further ahead. Newman is having a stormer. Defence is very solid.
    Anyone enlighten me on the intricacies of the square ball rule? Are you considered to be in the square if any part of your body is in the square?

He was standing inside the square before the ball was played tbf.

But to answer your question, yes. If any part of your body is in the square before the ball is played, its square ball.

• Advertisement

Was a fairly blatant square ball. By the time the hand pass was struck he was fully in the square.
    Right foot was outside when the ball was played but obviously doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Obrieski wrote: »
    When is Pairc Tailteann getting shut down for the redevelopment works?
    I thought the Tyrone game last year was to be the last championship game played there, which meant (or so I thought) that after this league campaign, the works would begin?

In that event, that would mean all our Division 1 games next year would have to be moved elsewhere?
    Where would they be played in that event, since none of the club grounds would be capable of holding such crowds, and the potential for the necessity of TV cameras too?

Ah shyte. Seriously?

Was really looking forward to a trip to Navan for our league game v Meath next year. T'wud be savage.

Btw....is that a man bun I see on one of your lot in Croker right now? A man bun on a Meath man?

I'm either drunk or stoned or hallucinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Once again, when the going gets tough, Meath players stand 10 feet smaller

Hilarious. You obviously haven't seen Meath at all this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Have a good chuckle to yourself writing that did ya, must have been funnier to ya after editing the 1st post

Taught we played well, murphy was lucky to escape a 2nd yellow during the game, especially for a tackle on o'sullivan over on cusack stand side, will look again when i get home, anyway we're in div.1 next year and look in good shape for the championship, cant ask for more then that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭paul71

1000 posts on soccer boards 50 on GAA. Are you lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Donegal were there for the taking today and Meath couldn't have got off to a better start and 1-15 should be winning score but i think defensively Meath still have a lot of improving to do before the championship and if they want to stay up in Div 1.

Anyone in Croker notice the warmup. Only saw a bit of it on TG4 but they seemed to be sprinting a good bit. Reminded me of the warmup before that awful Westmeath game where we raced into a huge lead as well and were bolloxed by the end.
    Michael Murphy was fantastic but he always seems to be able to get very easy frees (while rarely giving away any) for a big guy. Think McMahon going off was a big loss for us as his speed was causing them all sorts of problems. Once he went off, Newman's influence was snuffed out.

Disappointing not to end the league with silverware but we topped the league and every single one of us would have snapped that up back in January.
    Hopefully the players are allowed back to their clubs for April and get a bit of a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Taught we played well, murphy was lucky to escape a 2nd yellow during the game, especially for a tackle on o'sullivan over on cusack stand.
    I was sitting right in front of that when it happened. Murphy targeted Cillians shoulder and left his arm up to make sure. Ref bottled it even after talking to linesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Donegal were there for the taking today and Meath couldn't have got off to a better start and 1-15 should be winning score but i think defensively Meath still have a lot of improving to do before the championship and if they want to stay up in Div 1.

I wouldn’t agree. How Donegal ended up in Division 2 I do not know because they are clearly a Division 1 and top six team.

A two point loss for Meath brings no shame. This is the best Meath team I’ve seen in some time and with a decent route to the Leinster final, one win will see them make the Super 8s.

Weak points for me in the team are McEntee at midfield & Ben Brennan at Centre Forward. Biggy Reilly looks like he should stay where he is at the start of most games when he comes on too!

Can anyone shed some light on why Padraic Harnan isn’t starting? If I’d a tenner for every person who told me he’s one of the best players in Meath.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I wouldn’t agree. How Donegal ended up in Division 2 I do not know because they are clearly a Division 1 and top six team.

A two point loss for Meath brings no shame. This is the best Meath team I’ve seen in some time and with a decent route to the Leinster final, one win will see them make the Super 8s.

Donegal were relegated because they only got 3 points from 7 games so not that hard to know why they ended up in Div 2.

No guarantee that Donegal will stay up in Div 1 next year. In no particular order Kerry,Dublin,Tyrone,Mayo,Galway are the top 5 league teams at this moment in time and Monaghan next year will be in Div 1 for he 6th year in a row.

As for Meath they had a number of near misses on Div 1 promotion in recent years and finally managed to gain promotion this spring and it should be known for certain where this Meath team stand after this summer and a year in Div 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I thought myself Neil McGee coming on changed the game in the first half. After the sub and a bit of a reshuffle they got a lot tighter on Mickey Newman and curbed him. He was driving forward too which got them higher up the pitch. Having said that if Newman was out of the square or Barry Dardis didn't scuff that shot he pulled on, it would've been a different game. Good experience to have the run out in Croker, did anyone else notice we'd 30 odd togged for the warm up?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Meath's collapse also seemed to coincide with Bryan McMahon going off. He made a great run along the Hogan stand to set up Newmans disallowed goal and seemed to tweak a hamstring. All things considered, I felt we lost the aerial game in this one. After a while, Donegal seemed happy to not contest the kickouts from a fielding perspective and instead switched to batting it down to well-placed half forwards and half backs. We couldn't win a restart of any type for around 30 mins. Michael Murphy bossed Menton a couple of times on throw-ins restarts too. Menton straight goes after the ball whereas Murphy goes after Menton first. Also, I thought McGill's reading on the landing position of incoming long balls was questionable. Murphy caught an uncontested mark because McGill's positioning was off.

People can list out heights of the two teams to disprove this but from my observations, but I thought they made us look small. 2,4,5,7,10,12,13,15 all looked short versus their opponent. Campion came on and looked like a minor amongst men.

It's been a good league campaign all things considered. Donegal are a good team and they'll go close in Ulster and will be in the mix for the super 8's. I think we'll get our Leinster Final but on the back of yesterday, I can't see us coming with 10 points of the Dubs. Hopefully, 3-4 additions over the next 12 months will see us come on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Meath's collapse also seemed to coincide with Bryan McMahon going off. He made a great run along the Hogan stand to set up Newmans disallowed goal and seemed to tweak a hamstring. All things considered, I felt we lost the aerial game in this one. After a while, Donegal seemed happy to not contest the kickouts from a fielding perspective and instead switched to batting it down to well-placed half forwards and half backs. We couldn't win a restart of any type for around 30 mins. Michael Murphy bossed Menton a couple of times on throw-ins restarts too. Menton straight goes after the ball whereas Murphy goes after Menton first. Also, I thought McGill's reading on the landing position of incoming long balls was questionable. Murphy caught an uncontested mark because McGill's positioning was off.

People can list out heights of the two teams to disprove this but from my observations, but I thought they made us look small. 2,4,5,7,10,12,13,15 all looked short versus their opponent. Campion came on and looked like a minor amongst men.

It's been a good league campaign all things considered. Donegal are a good team and they'll go close in Ulster and will be in the mix for the super 8's. I think we'll get our Leinster Final but on the back of yesterday, I can't see us coming with 10 points of the Dubs. Hopefully, 3-4 additions over the next 12 months will see us come on again.

I think we have had problems with player size for a decade. For some reason this decade our teams have been very small. And when they run into tackle they lose the ball. The last time we had a big powerful team who were physically big strong team were 09 10 , the team who beat Dublin reached All Ireland semi final and won leinster. Every sucessful Meath team had big powerful players all over the field. The current team is actually the biggest in stature of the teams we have had this decade. Players have had a couple of years strenght and conditioning and even young players r the first to come thru strenght and conditioning programmes at underage. This year was the first time in years we werent losing possession in tackle. A problem we always have v Ulster teams. But we are still small team by inter county standards. But our underage team are more Atletic that are coming thru so that will help. Yes I think that is problem. We have had problem in the physicality stakes of gaelic football for a decade . Our players were pacy but small and very light.

Donegal are top division 1 team and in 2 games in a few weeks we played brilliantly for 60 mins in Ballybofey and for 35 mins on Saturday. Remeber they r young but much more experienced then us in winning Ulster and playing Dublin in super 8 and div 1 in Croker . This was our first time in Croker as a team. The last time we played in Croker 2 and half years v Dubs, of the starting 15 that started that day in Croke Park v Dubs only 3 started on Saturday and they were Keoghan Newman and Sullivan.

This team has gone from 15th or 16th last spring to 8th or 9th in the country in any football ranking I have seen. We r the most improved team in country in the last ten months. With 2 to 3 strong Under 20 teams in the next 2 to 3 years , there is more talent to come thru especially in the forwards. And Donal lenihan and Ronan Jones will be back next year. And Niall kane and Alan Forde will be fully fit. I think next years league campaign is massive. If we can stay up that means in 2020 and 2021 championship we will have two springs of division 1 football behind us. That is worth ten years in div 2. We are making progress but there is allot of work to do. I still think there is bad defeat this year. Games v laois or Westmeath; Dublin and a strong team in backdoor or all going to be tough. And if we reach super 8 it is going to be very tough. Look what happened to Roscommon last year in Super 8 from div 2.Next summer we will be better prepared for Super 8. But overall there will be ups and downs but we are definitely going in the right direction. And I believe in the 2020s, Meath will be much stronger in next ten years then we were in last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Enjoyed the game on Saturday, was in the corner of the canal/cusack. For me there was one specific turning point apart from McMahon going off was the mark/free for Murphy where he pushed the full back in the back and it was as clear as day that it should have been a free out, Murphy's cuteness won the day.

Apart from that its great to see the progression of the team, consider two years ago and that game of anti football versus Donegal in the pre-lim quarter finals.

Great to see that the team is now getting stronger and players like O'Sullivan playing in the half forward line, instead of isolated inside.

Some great movement from the forwards most of the game, personally I thought that possibly Donegal just knew how to get over the line, they killed the game after they got the goal, did not boo personally as i would hope that if we got ahead like that, that we would learn to kill the game also

Hopefully barring injuries we should make a Leinster final and possibly the super 8's

More important in my opinion will be trying to stay in Division one next year

An Mhi Abu

• Advertisement

Gaeil Colmcille 1-11 Dunshaughlin 0-13
    Beano Hanlon free in the 4th minute of injury time won it for Kells.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Enjoyed the game on Saturday, was in the corner of the canal/cusack. For me there was one specific turning point apart from McMahon going off was the mark/free for Murphy where he pushed the full back in the back and it was as clear as day that it should have been a free out, Murphy's cuteness won the day.

Apart from that its great to see the progression of the team, consider two years ago and that game of anti football versus Donegal in the pre-lim quarter finals.

Great to see that the team is now getting stronger and players like O'Sullivan playing in the half forward line, instead of isolated inside.

Some great movement from the forwards most of the game, personally I thought that possibly Donegal just knew how to get over the line, they killed the game after they got the goal, did not boo personally as i would hope that if we got ahead like that, that we would learn to kill the game also

Hopefully barring injuries we should make a Leinster final and possibly the super 8's

More important in my opinion will be trying to stay in Division one next year

An Mhi Abu

Meath should be in Div 1 all the time. They are a big county, great tradition and no shortage of money. They, and to a certain extent Kildare, will make Leinster interesting this year. Take out the usual top 5 suspects and Meath on their day will match any of the rest. Look at possible losing provincial finalists such as Cork Monaghan Roscommon and not much to fear there

Jaysus I still have flashbacks to the hammerings we got in Clones two years in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Jaysus I still have flashbacks to the hammerings we got in Clones two years in a row.

Always hate playing Monaghan, beat us twice in
    league finals . Should of won the 05 one tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

So where are home games going to be played after the Offaly game?

Jamemid wrote: »
    Always hate playing Monaghan, beat us twice in
    league finals . Should of won the 05 one tho.
    Ah cheers I'd wiped Mark Ward's meltdown from my memory until now...

Results from the weekend:

Senior Football Championship
    Donaghmore Ashbourne 1-15 Summerhill 1-10
    Na Fianna 3-9 St. Colmcilles 0-14
    Ratoath 7-16 Longwood 0-11
    Dunboyne 1-16 Curraha 0-14
    Skryne 0-12 St Pats 0-9
    Navan O’Mahonys 2-11 Seneschalstown 1-11
    Moynalvey 3-12 Rathkenny 0-9
    Gaeil Colmcille 1-11 Dunshaughlin 0-13

Intermediate Football Championship

Oldcastle 0-12 Nobber 1-9
    Blackhall Gaels 1-8 Donaghmore Ashbourne 1-6
    Dunderry 2-14 Walterstown 0-13
    Meath Hill 1-9 Kilmainham 0-9
    Ballinlough 0-17 Drumbaragh 1-13
    Duleek Bellewstown 1-21 Dunboyne 1-8
    Castletown 1-16 Syddan 1-7
    St Michaels 4-12 Bective 4-9
    Trim 1-11 Ballinabrackey 1-9

Junior Football Championship
    Moynalty 1-10 Clonard 2-7
    Ballivor 2-9 Carnaross 2-6
    Skryne 1-7 Dunshaughlin 1-6
    Clann Na nGael 1-14 St. Brigids 1-9
    Seneschalstown 0-14 Navan O’Mahonys 1-9
    Dunsany 1-9 St Vincents 0-10
    St Ultans 1-10 Moylagh 1-8
    Cortown 1-10 Kilmainhamwood 0-10

Junior B Football Championship
    Boardsmill 4-10 Slane 2-8

If Longwood were under any illusions as to the scale of their task in the SFC, they're well and truly gone now. Ratoath were missing probably half of their first team and still ended up coasting. Don/Ash were surprisingly comfortable against Summerhill.
    Comeback of the weekend was Ballinlough coming from 10 down with 20 minutes to go against Drumbaragh to win 0-17 to 1-13.
    Next round of games is on Easter weekend. No sign of the hurling championships starting.

^^^^

I was at the DonAsh game. Level with about 15 left and both teams kicked a few bad wides. Sumemrhill started pushing on late which meant Ashbourne packed the defence. Their last 5 points were kicked without a reply from Summerhill and I would guess 3 of them were after the 60 minute mark. All of them came from Summerhill taking the ball into contact and being turned over. Happened a few times during the game and they didn't seem to learn their lesson.

Was an enjoyable game of football and Barry Dardis (not sure if that name is correct) kicked 2 absolutely beautiful points. About 10 yards inside the 45, over near the sideline he kicked them with the outside of the right boot and they sailed over the black spot. Perfection. Menton was good for DonAsh so was nice to see the county men in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Anyone happen to see the Ratoath game? Reading in the Chronicle Connell Ahearne got 4-7 of their 7-16 total V Longwood. Has to be one of the highest individual returns in recent years in the Meath SFC.

• Advertisement

Did Longwood win the IFC last year? That's a massive gulf in class for a team coming up to senior.

Advertisement