Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I don't mean any disrespect to Longwood but I think they're the worst team to come up from Intermediate in a long time. The year before they were involved in a playoff to avoid relegation to Junior. They're also struggling big time in division 3 in the league with 5 losses from 6 games.
    4-7 is a fantastic individual score and I can't remember anyone getting a score like that before. But I'd be very surprised if the likes of Cillian O'Sullivan and Barry Dardis don't get similar tallies when they come up against Longwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

longwood are in for a couple of bad beatings by the look of it
    hard to see them pick up points , even again rathkenny

trim must still be kicking themselves for throwing away that 1/4 final in inter last year

Simonstown 0-14 St. Colmcilles 0-13
    Wolfe Tones 0-13 St. Peter's Dunboyne 0-11

Narrow defeat for Cilles but it does leave them in a bit of bother now. Big win for Tones. Dunboyne seem to have fallen a bit since last season if their first two games are anything to go by.

SFC
    Ratoath 0-11 Donaghmore/Ashbourne 0-8
    Rathkenny 1-13 Longwood 2-9
    Na Fianna 2-15 Curraha 3-11
    Skryne 3-13 NOM 2-13
    Summerhill 1-14 Moynalvey 1-9

IFC
    Castletown 2-8 Ballinabrackey 0-12
    Dunderry 1-20 Blackhall Gaels 0-10
    Syddan 2-16 St. Michaels 2-16

JFC
    Clann an nGael 3-15 Dunsany 2-10
    St. Ultans 2-18 Clonard 4-11
    St. Vincents 2-15 Kilmainhamwood 2-7

JBFC
    Simonstown 3-16 Trim 3-16
    Dunboyne 3-23 Nobber 0-9
    Kilbride 1-13 Slane 0-16

Agonizing one point defeats for both Longwood and Curraha. Could be that Longwood were targeting the Rathkenny game for the win that would probably have seen them stay up. Curraha will surely fancy their chances against Colmcilles or Wolfe Tones. That group looks very strong. It'll be a harsh on whoever is relegated.
    Blackhall Gaels with a 13 point defeat in the intermediate championship just shows the direction they're going.

http://meath.gaa.ie/meath-tv/

County board have launched a premium membership for Meath TV where you can pay an annual fee of €39 and get unlimited access to the games being streamed on the app as well as access to all the games streamed from the past two years.
    Think that's a great deal. Have to say, the county board have really embraced their social media/online presence over the last few years.

• Advertisement

Poor oul jimmy henry

^Ouch.
    A timely reminder to always double check who you're sending risky sh!t to on whatsapp.

the video was very tame , a big deal over nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

sc86 wrote: »
    the video was very tame , a big deal over nothing

I didn't hear what one it was, but putting two and two together from what I read and one I got sent myself it was a mildly risque joke being told? If someone got that offended by it they live a very sheltered life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

http://meath.gaa.ie/meath-tv/

County board have launched a premium membership for Meath TV where you can pay an annual fee of €39 and get unlimited access to the games being streamed on the app as well as access to all the games streamed from the past two years.
    Think that's a great deal. Have to say, the county board have really embraced their social media/online presence over the last few years.

that is an excellent app and not over priced either , especially for meath people abroad , i have been calling for something similar in clare for years all they could come up with is an app called club clare which offers little or nothing at all

it is quiet likely the meath county board had to agree some form of fee with tg4 as regards rights as they have the club championship rights bought , if that's the case it was a very brave move to make

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Just over a week to the big game!

The break for clubs hopefully hasn't stifled our momentum, we need a good Leinster run with this team to keep up the good form shown so far in 2019.
    A packed Navan on Sunday week will hopefully help spur the lads. Offaly's poor league form will mean nothing to them for this game and they will be chomping at the bit to try and take us back down a peg or two.

A 2 week run in since club championship seems quite short and you have to wonder about the GAA logic behind this. Seems unfair all round but sure it's the same for everyone.

Up Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

whats the story with the kildalkey v ratoth game?

Obrieski wrote: »
    Just over a week to the big game!

The break for clubs hopefully hasn't stifled our momentum, we need a good Leinster run with this team to keep up the good form shown so far in 2019.
    A packed Navan on Sunday week will hopefully help spur the lads. Offaly's poor league form will mean nothing to them for this game and they will be chomping at the bit to try and take us back down a peg or two.

A 2 week run in since club championship seems quite short and you have to wonder about the GAA logic behind this. Seems unfair all round but sure it's the same for everyone.

Up Meath
    No disrespect to Offaly but we should be winning this easily. I still harbour a little resentment to Offaly beating us in 1997 and 2000....
    And if we do, we really should be doing similar against Carlow. Anything less than a Leinster final appearance this year will be a big anticlimax after the excellent league performance.
    Dickie10 wrote: »
    whats the story with the kildalkey v ratoth game?
    Wasn't at it. Heard it was verbals on the sideline that escalated into a brawl. Absolutely nothing official online though as far as I can see.

will there be a ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Good luck to the hurlers and footballers today.
    Great day for it

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

mickrourke wrote: »
    Good luck to the hurlers and footballers today.
    Great day for it

:-) may have lost its relevance!

Comfortable win for the hurlers. Shock result in the other game in the group with Roscommon beating Kildare. You'd have to feel that we should be winning the Christy Ring comfortably this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Think it'll be an easy enough win today. Should win by 8-10 points.

Christ lads!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Jaysus. Shocking start to 2nd half. Getting back into it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Very uninspiring stuff altogether, but its a win and leaves a lot to build on over the next few weeks, i suppose its better then beating them out the gate and learning nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I got the sense off Meath that they didn't leave the dressing room to start the championship in an inspired state. It was like no-one gave them a rousing speach to fire them into action. They came out flat and subsequently played like so.

Our kick outs today were rubbish. Looked void of idea's. In the 2nd half McGill 2 or 3 times sountered over to the terrace side of the pitch and offered no movement or an apetite for it to be kicked in his direction. One of the kickouts was almost Karius/Benzema stuff from last years champions league final which led to a goal chance. Also we cannot win a throw in restart. Lost them all last day out V Donegal and lost them all again today.

Between the last 50 mins of the Donegal match and this today we have been back to same old, same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

So now we're a double header with the Dubs and Louth in Portlaoise after originally being fixed for Tullamore. It's going to be some **** show getting in and out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

rpurfield wrote: »
    So now we're a double header with the Dubs and Louth in Portlaoise after originally being fixed for Tullamore. It's going to be some **** show getting in and out

I was just saying that a few mins ago! Its bad enough in general down there, but with 2 games, aghhh :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Can someone explain that to me? Why are we playing in a double header with double in Portlaois? Madness. Fair enough play the dubs there if they are away. But to have us both on. Surely both games on there own would be sell outs or at least near?

I haven’t gone to a championship game in a while due to usually working but I’d planned on going to this one. Not a hope now, it’ll be a nightmare traffic wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Anyone know where i can see footage of Meath vs Offaly from yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

We will have the joy of welcoming the dubs and Louth fans in for the entire second half.
    Let’s be honest there will be less than 10% of the crowd will watch the entirety of both matches.

louth never bring anyone less than 1000 fans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

So do we think there’ll problems ticket wise cos of Dubs or will be ok? Hard to know tho it’ll prob nearly sell out, 27000 tickets? Anyone know the official attendance at Navan yesterday

• Advertisement

Can't see it being much more than 2/3 full to be honest (between both games). Only 11000 at Dublins standalone game with Wicklow last year in Portlaoise. Can't see Louth fans travelling and our game will probably draw 6-7k. I wouldn't really be interested in watching a Dublin training match after our game.
    Bit mad how, in just a few years, the Leinster council have gone from insisting that no other stadium in Leinster other than Croke Park had the capacity to host a Dublin game to having a double header with a Dublin game in Portlaoise.

Advertisement