Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

we need to play the farce of a game against dubblin and get over about 20 minutes later , it means absolulty nothing to us were going to get bet please god we keep it respectable. i have a feeling mcentee might go for a minor all ireland 2012 type game where we kept dublin to 1-6 to 0-14 score. id take that now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Lads join me and don't buy a ticket for the Leinster final. The only way to get through to the GAA is with your wallet.

Andy should train the absolute **** out of the lads with the aim to peak for the final qualifier round and the super 8's. Tell them the Dublin match is just a friendly in prep for it. Start number 16-25 from the panel along with 5 regulars. Bring on 6 regulars for the last 25 mins all at once. Basically throw the game but have the team entirely focused on the qualifier.

We've lost the last 3 final round qualifiers let's not waste energy on Dublin and achieve our goal of the super 8. Hopefully avoid them and kerry in the group stage too. If I was the manager I'd also publicly ask all meath fans to stay away and save their money and support for the qualifier match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Well done Sunday Game again :rolleyes:
    Shows both Leinster semi finals, says "We'll talk about the Meath game in a moment". Proceed to wax lyrical about Dublin for 10 minutes before moving on and completely ignoring the Meath game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Shows both Leinster semi finals, says "We'll talk about the Meath game in a moment". Proceed to wax lyrical about Dublin for 10 minutes before moving on and completely ignoring the Meath game.

They done the analysis after droning on about cluxtons 100 games and o'sheas 88 and 1 of the qualifiers, i reckon they forgot our match

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

They did the same for the hurling. We’ll discuss the cork Clare match next weekend in a moment and then end of show.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

I don't think there's a motive just poor time management regarding going over the top with analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Sounds mad to say but there is a lot of room for improvement after that win. I thought our kick outs were poor enough, especially when Laois pushed up and forced a long kick. I reckon we dropped at least five shots short into the keepers hands too, according to the stats on the Meath Twitter page we only scored 47% of shots. We seemed to have a lot of wayward passes too, and went a couple of long periods without scores.

Still to be winning and having room for improvement is no bad thing. Conlon was brilliant and so was Menton, Keogan had a really good game but will be underrated as usual. There's no expectation on the squad at all for the next game now, I just hope it's not damaging in the long run. One win from the super 8s anyway, if we get there it will be a really good year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

rpurfield wrote: »
    Keogan had a really good game but will be underrated as usual.

Yeah, won the pen, and definitely set up 3 or 4 points to, possibly 1 of the other goals to, but im not sure on that, great game he had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Jasus that sunday game last night was some mess, As they mentioned we will speak about meath in a moment and then talks about Dublin and Cluxton for 10 mins as Rock Lesnar mentioned, Then forget all about it and are reminded during the break they forgot about talking about the meath/laois game....

The whole show has turned into a joke this year...They need to have a highlights of games on saturday after the qualifier games that day and show decent highlights of sundays games sunday night...Like is there any need to go into dept on the hurling after the two games was live that day....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Jasus that sunday game last night was some mess, As they mentioned we will speak about meath in a moment and then talks about Dublin and Cluxton for 10 mins as Rock Lesnar mentioned, Then forget all about it and are reminded during the break they forgot about talking about the meath/laois game....

The whole show has turned into a joke this year...They need to have a highlights of games on saturday after the qualifier games that day and show decent highlights of sundays games sunday night...Like is there any need to go into dept on the hurling after the two games was live that day....

Well it’s nice if you attended a game to see the highlights that evening. The problem now is that there is so many games on certain Sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

the leinster final is some farce of a thing , like people actually going to it in some sort of pilgrimage effort or something. people dreading the game , we really should boycott the thing.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    the leinster final is some farce of a thing , like people actually going to it in some sort of pilgrimage effort or something. people dreading the game , we really should boycott the thing.
    If tickets were €10 or maybe even €20 I'd go but you can't just the €35/40 they will charge for a mauling we all know will happen.

Like I'd go to league match next year against Dublin or kerry even if we were expected to lose by a big margin because ticket prices are cheaper but this is a ****ing piss take. I'm starting to understand why only 50k went to Dublins semi final last year vs Galway. Obviously many Dublin and Galway fans decided it wasn't worth paying €40 for the fixture.

Obrieski wrote: »
    Disappointing campaign for the minors, was really hoping they would build on the success of last year.
    Good win for the ladies, Monica McGuirk up to her usual antics of pulling off some wonderful saves...clip going around online of a save from the other day, phenomenal stop.
    3 from 3 in the Christy Ring and into the semi final - hopefully the lads can go on to win it again, be a great boost
    Just happened across that clip today.
    https://twitter.com/MeathDaily/status/1136666075540709376

That first save in particular was absolutely incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

I think we owe it to the huge efforts and strides made by the players this year to get as many people to Croke Park for this final. It's our first final since 2014 so it would be a shame for our supporters not go on and cheer the lads on.

Yes, it may be futile but the trajectory is certainly positive for the county and we need all supporters to buy into it too.

And you never know, Dublin have to lose sometime!! :cool:

Can see McEntee employing a similar tactic to the one he employed in the 2012 minor final (i.e. defend, defend, defend) and hope to keep within 5 - 10 points. Only Kildare in 2017 (9 point defeat) have kept Dublin to within 10 points since we lost by 7 to them in 2013. If we manage that, I think we can give the qualifier game a good lash. Get hammered by 15 - 20 points and I think it'll hurt us mentally.
    If we do employ that type of football, I literally couldn't care less about any criticism we receive.

I'm still on the fence about whether to go or not. I'm not sure I can justify shelling out €40 for a glorified Dublin training match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Obrieski wrote: »
    I think we owe it to the huge efforts and strides made by the players this year to get as many people to Croke Park for this final. It's our first final since 2014 so it would be a shame for our supporters not go on and cheer the lads on.

Yes, it may be futile but the trajectory is certainly positive for the county and we need all supporters to buy into it too.

And you never know, Dublin have to lose sometime!! :cool:

I'm all for getting behind the team but €40 is a steep price to pay to sit in a half empty stadium with no atmosphere at all.

I was at the Laois game in the lower Hogan and you could hear the players talking to eachother.

Most Dublin fans couldn't give a sh1te about going to another Leinster final to see them steamroll another side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Cant believe some meath fans are talking up our chances of a win

A victory would be a 7 or 8 point defeat and keep it a contest
    How soon is next round of qualifiers after leinster final?

Felexicon wrote: »
    I'm all for getting behind the team but €40 is a steep price to pay to sit in a half empty stadium with no atmosphere at all.

I was at the Laois game in the lower Hogan and you could hear the players talking to eachother.

Most Dublin fans couldn't give a sh1te about going to another Leinster final to see them steamroll another side.

It's €35 if bought before the day. My biggest bug bear is where I ended up the last day. I was on the cusack to get the kids ticket for the young lad and we were sat right beside where the ref comes out of. Considering the place wasn't packed they could give you better seats, or charge less for seats that aren't central. You can't pick in advance on tickets.ie either.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

It's €35 if bought before the day. My biggest bug bear is where I ended up the last day. I was on the cusack to get the kids ticket for the young lad and we were sat right beside where the ref comes out of. Considering the place wasn't packed they could give you better seats, or charge less for seats that aren't central. You can't pick in advance on tickets.ie either.

There are very good tickets on selection as soon as they are released on Tickets.ie, you just have to be quick to get the ones in the centre of the stands.
    I think €35 is well worth going to have the chance to see Meath challenge Dublin or at the very least, say that you got to see the great team that won 5(or more maybe!) in a row.
    It will be a great shame to not be there on the day that Meath actually do pull it off-however unlikely it is at this stage of the teams development. A very wet day could just be a turning point.
    Meath also play Kiladre in the Junior Final, which should be competitive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

Went in 2010 to croker without much hope n was pleasantly surprised!
    Never say never, we may need 5 goals again though, maybe even a try as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

enricoh wrote: »
    Went in 2010 to croker without much hope n was pleasantly surprised!
    Never say never, we may need 5 goals again though, maybe even a try as well!

That whats some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Positionally where I'm worried about us is cornerbacks. I think Shane Gallagher and Seamus Lavin have done well this year but they are both diminutive. Just look at the hit Mannion put on the Louth guy when he got sent off. Legally or Illeagly it was a monster hit. Can our lads survive against that sort of physicality?

Midfield I still have doubts about us competing for primary possession. Laois, Offaly, Donegal all had the better of us in this department. There was a 15 minute period in the first half versus Laois where they dominated the ball but failed to make it count. Dublin would have got 1-4 or 1-5 with the same amount of ball. In addition to this, our half forward don't win enough breaking ball. Ben Brennan, McMahon again are small players. Better at been given the ball as opposed to competing for it in a contest. 2,4,8,9,10,12 will have to have the games of their lives for this to still be a contest with 15 mins to go.

Assuming we lose to Dublin the next game after is the acid test of this team in this years Championship. Super 8 qualification is where we want to get to. I believe they have changed it this year where the losing provincial finalists get two weeks as opposed to one week to recover. This should help. Just hope the Dubs don't damage us psychologically

I won't be paying €35/40 that's for sure. Next year the GAA need to reevaluate the prices. €20 for the semi final double header and €25 for the final. Dublin will be going for their 15th title in 16 years next year. It's an insult to ask those prices. Truth be told the semi and the final should be €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Navan Ladies HC

So if you fancied supporting both the hurlers and footballers this week, you'd be paying minimum €60. Not sure if I can justify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

This.very.point. I tried and tried and tried on GAA site for the last game to get a half decent seat. Never bothered us before because we had no kids so were not aware, but our nephew has started coming to games this year so we have to book either Cusack or Davin. The selection they give is absolutely crap, either stuck in the corner (312-315) or down the very front in Davin 318.I then put in adults only selection and straight away was given option of 308 in Cusack. And that was from the get go until the day before the game when I finally gave up and went with lower Davin, row e, as they had stopped selling childrens seats in the Cusack by then :rolleyes: . . Hugely frustrating and cannot think of a reason why theyre are so anti children give the nature of their ethos....

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

snowgal wrote: »
    This.very.point. I tried and tried and tried on GAA site for the last game to get a half decent seat. Never bothered us before because we had no kids so were not aware, but our nephew has started coming to games this year so we have to book either Cusack or Davin. The selection they give is absolutely crap, either stuck in the corner (312-315) or down the very front in Davin 318.I then put in adults only selection and straight away was given option of 308 in Cusack. And that was from the get go until the day before the game when I finally gave up and went with lower Davin, row e, as they had stopped selling childrens seats in the Cusack by then :rolleyes: . . Hugely frustrating and cannot think of a reason why theyre are so anti children give the nature of their ethos....

I got juvenile tickets for 310. Still far from ideal (about the 13m line) but better than 315 the last day. That was the morning they went on sale so I doubt kids tickets get any better. Maybe upstairs in the middle would be a better option but I suppose the low numbers don't justify opening the upper deck.

See the football leagues have already finished up (bar the finals etc.). For some teams, their seasons are basically over. Most teams won't play again until the county team are knocked out (which hopefully will be a while yet). Just seems a waste that now we're coming into (hopefully) better weather, players will have no chance of games.
    It's no wonder we have so much trouble keeping players playing.

See the football leagues have already finished up (bar the finals etc.). For some teams, their seasons are basically over. Most teams won't play again until the county team are knocked out (which hopefully will be a while yet). Just seems a waste that now we're coming into (hopefully) better weather, players will have no chance of games.
    It's no wonder we have so much trouble keeping players playing.

It's an absolute farce this. There were games played in all sorts of muck and terrible weather, there were even games played with a 10.30am throw in one Sunday to let people get to Navan for a ladies NFL game. Where was the panic?It's going to affect the quality of the championships when they start back too with teams laid off for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Well here we are, Wednesday, I've officially hit peak levels of delusion. I've managed to convince myself we have a shot at beating the Dubs on Sunday.

What logical argument can I make?

Sure no Meath team has ever feared the Dubs.

Hon the Royal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Listened to the Talk a Good Game (Meath Chronicle) and WeAreMeath podcasts today and I am beginning to believe it too.
    Dublin have to lose at some stage, why not this weekend!
    I know it's most unlikely and probably bordering on ridiculous and delusional to even think it, but we have a chance.

Up Meath!

Advertisement