Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Yeah I've We Are Meath listened to and I'm halfway through TAGG and I'm the same. Form goes out the window in these games :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

God bless yer optimism. Cannot see any hope on Sunday. Dublin are just too much of a machine.
    Bit more optimistic about the hurlers on Saturday even if we haven't been convincing in the Christy Ring this year. Let's hope we have a referee that can count this time and a scoreboard operator who knows the difference between the Meath and Dublin crests.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

https://www.the42.ie/meath-mick-lyons-liam-harnan-4690695-Jun2019/

Good read with Mick Lyons and Liam Harnan.
    Easy to see why they are 2 legends of Meath GAA - humble, hard-working, steely men.

Hope we see a few new leaders of men emerge on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

God bless yer optimism. Cannot see any hope on Sunday. Dublin are just too much of a machine.

Agreed, i taught the difference in both sets of players for the semi finals looked huge, they look as you said, machines, i fear they'll blitz us early and heads will drop

Team for tomorrow's Christy Ring final has been named:

Meath: Shane McGann; Ger Murphy, Darragh Kelly, Shane Whitty; Shane Brennan, Keith Keoghan, James Kelly; Sean Geraghty (Capt), Cathal McCabe; Damien Healy, Barry Slevin, Jack Regan, Gavin McGowan, Alan Douglas, Adam Gannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

enricoh wrote: »
    Went in 2010 to croker without much hope n was pleasantly surprised!
    Never say never, we may need 5 goals again though, maybe even a try as well!

Funny you say that, 2010 was the most hope I've ever held going into a Meath-Dublin match. Meath had reached the 2009 AI semi final and while we never looked like winning, we put up a far better fight to Kerry than Dublin had the game before.

Then in 2010 we comfortably disposed of Offaly and learned a lot from a QF replay vs. Laois. Meanwhile Dublin made very hard work getting to the Semi Final, beating a fading Wexford team only after extra time.

Seems a lifetime ago now, watching the Hill silenced as goal after goal went in, and at the same time getting the news Germany were tanking England in the World Cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Agreed, i taught the difference in both sets of players for the semi finals looked huge, they look as you said, machines, i fear they'll blitz us early and heads will drop
    Big weekend for football. If Meath can stop the goals they are in with a chance but if Dublin steamroll them a lot of counties know they are playing for runners up in the Five in a row show.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Well done in the Christy Ring. It was an enjoyable open game of hurling but Meath always looked like winning. Trick is to stay in JMD now.

Thankfully not as much drama as our last Ring final appearance. Huge gap between the Christy Ring and the McDonagh Cup. Gonna need a huge improvement to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Edgware wrote: »
    Big weekend for football. If Meath can stop the goals they are in with a chance but if Dublin steamroll them a lot of counties know they are playing for runners up in the Five in a row show.

Don't think it's that simple. Dublin didn't even score a goal vs. Kildare and still steamrolled them.

• Advertisement

Congrats to the hurlers, brilliant achievement.
    Need to build on this now and try to stabilise in the Joe McDonagh next year, but before then, enjoy the celebrations!

Out of interest, anyone know the attendance in Croke Park today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Rain expected today for the leinster final. Very unusual to have a wet rainy day for a leinster final. Many r scorchers eg 1984 1995 1999 2013. But mostly dry. The only really rainy wet leinster finals in last 45 years were 1985 1986 1994 and 1996. 1985 1986 and 1996 are the lowest scoring leinster finals in last 45 years and of course the Meath victories over Dublin in 1986 and 1996 ( along with Offaly in 1987 ) are two biggest shocks in a leinster final in the last 45 years. And it was a wet dirty rainy day.

3 lowest scoring leinster finals in last 40 years 1 1985 Dublin 0- 10 Laois 0- 4
    2 1986 Meath 0 - 9 Dublin 0- 7
    3 1996 Meath 0- 10 Dublin 0 - 8.

Every time in recent times we played Dublin I wanted wet dirty day. This sort of weather wouldnt be suitable for our teams style of play. But if we are to put it up to Dublin , we need lots of goals ( at least 3 ) or a derby dogfight and rainy dirty day could be ideal for a dogfight.

Dublin could play brillantly in the rain. Of course they can. No problem to them. But Dublin's lowest scoring All Ireland win in this decade was by 0 - 12 in 2015 v kerry on wet dirty rainy day. I definitely think this is one of lowest scoring championship wins Dublin have had in recent years . Rainy wet weather can led to tight close games. It might not. But the biggest shocks in leinster championship final in recent years was on a wet day. For me Meath need this to be a dogfight of a derby and while our style suits dry conditions. A wet day with lots and lots of rain can lead to dogfights. Time will tell.

One other thing McEntee seems to be very good at is motivating players as underdogs in big matchs v strong opposition , basically upping their game v top opposition. As Meath minor manager in 2012 he defeated highly fancied Tyrone team in All Ireland quarter final and highly fancied Mayo team in semi final. He managed Ballyboden to victory as underdogs in Dublin senior club quater final , semi final and final, Ballyboden were big underdogs in all.those games. And with Meath seniors McEntees teams have upped their game and put it up to some of strongest teams in the country.

In the last 2 years and particularly in last 12 months Meath went in as big underdogs v Tyrone and Donegal and performed very well. In last 2 years Meath upped game and beat Galway and drew with Roscommon in Roscommon in the league. And also went toe to toe with Donegal on 3 occasions in 24 months. And were very unlucky not to beat All Ireland finalist Tyrone last year only for point scored in 5th min of injury time by Tyrone.

Even this years Meath performances v Donegal were very strong. In the league final Meath were much better team in the first half and while Donegal were the better team in first half a 2 point loss to Donegal is very credible performance. And Meaths Ballybofey performance was even better. Ballybofey is one toughest places to win in the country, last defeat in the league was in 2010. Kildare were beaten in the league by Donegal in Ballybofey by 15 points. A few weeks earlier Meath played Donegal in Ballybofey and Meath dominated first 63rd min and very unlucky to lose by 2 points.

The point is here every top 8 team Meath have played under McEntee they have upped their game and played very well. Of course Dublin r a different level to everyone else. But Meaths performances v Donegal 3 times , Tyrone, Roscommon and Galway are very encouraging.

Also look at Armagh. Looking very impressive so far in the championship. But Meath played them in the league won by 6 points anc truthfully could have been more as Meath were much the stronger team for most of the game. Look at Donegals performance in championship so far. Both Meaths performances v Donegal and Armagh show the progress Meath have made in last 12 months . But of course Dublin is the biggest test of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Sonny678 wrote:
    Even this years Meath performances v Donegal were very strong. In the league final Meath were much better team in the first half and while Donegal were the better team in first half a 2 point loss to Donegal is very credible performance. And Meaths Ballybofey performance was even better. Ballybofey is one toughest places to win in the country, last defeat in the league was in 2010. Kildare were beaten in the league by Donegal in Ballybofey by 15 points. A few weeks earlier Meath played Donegal in Ballybofey and Meath dominated first 63rd min and very unlucky to lose by 2 points.

That Kildare game was in Ballyshannon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I remember 86 and the rain and beting the Dubs,

Especially remember 96, brought my Dad to that one, Jayo held by Darren Fay, seeing as they beat us by 10 the previous year before going on to lift Sam.

Am hopeful for today, the Dubs have 21 players not just 15, I think we can get goals, Micky Newman needs to perform for one, they will probably try to man mark Cillian, our whole game plan has been built to take on the Dubs, so here's hoping.

This is Meath Dublin and this has a mind of its own, I have no doubt that the Dubs are taking this serious too

Our goal this year has to be to make the Super 8's and stay in Division 1 next year.

An Mhi Abu

2 titles out of 2 so far with the Juniors winning. 3 out of 3 please!!!!!

Biggie and S. McEntee starting.
    Losing Biggie's influence off the bench but hopefully he causes a few problems...doubt he'll start in half forward line due to work rate.

C'MON MEATH!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Lads that kicking is unforgivable. Got out of jail with the penalty and McGill with an unreal clearance off the line. I think Meath are actually playing quite well and will be happy to only have conceded 5 after the Dubs goal chances but that kicking needs massive improvement

Dublin could be out of sight. And we could be ahead. Jesus christ our shooting is awful. Must be so frustrating as a defender killing themselves keeping Dublin at bay only to see those wides and the shots dropping short.
    Brennan has gotten a knee driven into his back and a dig off the ball and got nothing. Referee conveniently sees McGill and a Dublin player grappling together and gives a free to Dublin.

Dublin will pull away easily in the second half when they empty the bench.

As expected but that was a special kind of awful. Must be so demoralizing for the defenders who actually acquitted themselves pretty well for 50 - 60 Minutes. Think we had over 20 scoring chances in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Well that was so frustrating, i felt the gameplan worked well, they defenders were busting themselves keeping the score down, winning plenty of ball but then seeing all the hard work wasted by the lads up front, some horrendous kicking cost us at least another 10 points, and drained the confidence out of everybody, yes im pretty sure dublin would still have pulled away and won, but a 1 or 2 point game along with more confidence, with 10mins to go, might have asked some questions of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

When we hit the post for the third time i had a feeling it was going to be that kinda day.
    I wish andy luck lifting the lads in 2 weeks after that.
    Is the draw tomorrow or after next round of qualifiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Dublin could be out of sight. And we could be ahead. Jesus christ our shooting is awful. Must be so frustrating as a defender killing themselves keeping Dublin at bay only to see those wides and the shots dropping short.
    Brennan has gotten a knee driven into his back and a dig off the ball and got nothing. Referee conveniently sees McGill and a Dublin player grappling together and gives a free to Dublin.

Dublin will pull away easily in the second half when they empty the bench.

McGill was pulling & dragging without a finger laid on him from the get go, deserved the yellow.

Did Fenton even get a card for the professional foul?

Felt he gave some soft yellow cards to Meath and missed the cynical Dublin ones

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I think the talk from all the Meath based podcasts about the Dublin full-back line being their weak link must have got played in the Dublin dressing room because they were very good today I thought that was the line of battle which they asserted their greatest dominance. James Conlon in fairness never got the supply and Dublin dropped Philly McMahon in front of him because they knew he wouldn't get an aerial supply. Everything would be bounced into him and he just blocked these routes by his positional nuance. Just on a side note before half time, Andy McEntee was trying to give Conlon some tactical instructions and it looked as if Conlon was not too keen on taking the instruction. Seem to be bit yappy back towards the manager. Read into it what you want!

Newman while managing to get 2 from play looked slow and lethargic and his general play in the championship has been a long way below the first 15 minutes V Donegal in the league final.

O'Sullivan who normally is very visible simply disappeared in the 2nd half. I was in the Hogan lower down near the Davin end so maybe my vantage point meant he was hard to see. For a man who you want on the ball dictating our forward play, he didn't get into it.

Poor Ben Brennan missed two or 3 V Laois and then felt like at least 4 more today consecutively. Don't like his technique. He sidesteps his run-ups, the posts end up on a 90-degree angle to his right and aims to pull it back towards the target. If his angle of attack was straighter I think he'd impart more spin onto the ball and keep it straighter.

We had a couple of chances early too where we went goal hunting when points were the better option. I remember Conlon at one point in time being in enough space to kick a point but instead tried to land a tough ball on O'Sullivan running forward when really the option was never on. Also, Biggie had a free kick which he tried to take quick and ended up kicking it dead when it should have been left to Newman.

Selected ratings - hard to recall everyone when watching it live:

Colgin 6
    Lavin 6
    McGill 7
    Gallagher 6
    Keoghan 6.5
    Menton 6
    Biggie 5
    McMahon 5
    Brennan 3
    Conlon 4
    Newman 4
    O'Sullivan 4

Brennan got a knee in the back on the ground at one point and a belt off the ball, hopefully its part of a learning curve for him and the rest of the team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

The forwards never fired at all yesterday, which was frustrating. We should've been in it heading into the last 15. Granted the Dubs could bring the likes of Dean Rock and Kevin McMenamin on and even if we had been in it that long we'd have been bet. I know it's hindsight but I would've started Barry Dardis instead of Conlon, he was always going to struggle against them backs. You could actually see yesterday the difference in strength and conditioning between the two teams, we're a few years off that even before you allow for the gap in skill level. It was just a shame the worst performance of the year coincided with playing the best team in the country. On the plus side some of the performances in the backs were pretty decent.

An awful shame for the game to go that way.
    That kind of rainy day never seems to suit us, small light nippy forwards, our boys just kept slipping.

Dublin are an incredible side and the target for where our boys want/ need to be.

Heads high though lads, overall it's been a good year and still plenty to fight for!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I think the talk from all the Meath based podcasts about the Dublin full-back line being their weak link must have got played in the Dublin dressing room because they were very good today I thought that was the line of battle which they asserted their greatest dominance. James Conlon in fairness never got the supply and Dublin dropped Philly McMahon in front of him because they knew he wouldn't get an aerial supply. Everything would be bounced into him and he just blocked these routes by his positional nuance. Just on a side note before half time, Andy McEntee was trying to give Conlon some tactical instructions and it looked as if Conlon was not too keen on taking the instruction. Seem to be bit yappy back towards the manager. Read into it what you want!

Newman while managing to get 2 from play looked slow and lethargic and his general play in the championship has been a long way below the first 15 minutes V Donegal in the league final.

O'Sullivan who normally is very visible simply disappeared in the 2nd half. I was in the Hogan lower down near the Davin end so maybe my vantage point meant he was hard to see. For a man who you want on the ball dictating our forward play, he didn't get into it.

Poor Ben Brennan missed two or 3 V Laois and then felt like at least 4 more today consecutively. Don't like his technique. He sidesteps his run-ups, the posts end up on a 90-degree angle to his right and aims to pull it back towards the target. If his angle of attack was straighter I think he'd impart more spin onto the ball and keep it straighter.

We had a couple of chances early too where we went goal hunting when points were the better option. I remember Conlon at one point in time being in enough space to kick a point but instead tried to land a tough ball on O'Sullivan running forward when really the option was never on. Also, Biggie had a free kick which he tried to take quick and ended up kicking it dead when it should have been left to Newman.

Selected ratings - hard to recall everyone when watching it live:

Colgin 6
    Lavin 6
    McGill 7
    Gallagher 6
    Keoghan 6.5
    Menton 6
    Biggie 5
    McMahon 5
    Brennan 3
    Conlon 4
    Newman 4
    O'Sullivan 4

Thats a fair analysis.

I really expected and hoped for more from Meath as did genuine followers of Dublin and GAA. I felt they had made great progress and they have to be fair to them. Leinster needed Meath to do better yesterday and so did Dublin. They made a very promising start and could have 2 points up. The big difference from early on was the strength of Dublin. What surprised me was the way the players on both sides were slipping. The conditions didnt help either side.

It is easy to look on and pass judgment. A few things. This Dublin side are unique in sport. Apart from their ability they dont get flustered or upset. They have a plan and a system and dont really change it. That plan is simplicity. At the end of the day players make decisions on the field for themselves.
    Meath I think should have played off the cuff. But the problem is Dublin hit you on counter attack and punish you so waht do you do? Tactically I dont think Meath got it right up front. The forwards they had are all exceptionally good players. . Mickey Newman and Grahame Reilly should have been alternated between 11 and 14. Both I think would have the measure of ANY defence and would have caused Dublin more problems. Why leave Ben Brennan on frees? His confidence took a hammering but hopefully he will get over it. There was 1 free he took I thought Newman should have taken it, . These small thing ate away at Meath. Leaving Conlon in so much was also a mistake. He looked good on the ball but with McMahon in front of him he should have been moved. Dardis and Tobin would have been better options from the start from a physical point of view and provided better support to Newman and Reilly.
    O'Sullivan went missing after a good start simply got psyched out of the game or psyched himself out of it by mouthing a bit. And McEntee was at it on sideline. When O'Sullivan ran at Dublin he was hard to handle. Some Meath players seemed afraid to shoot. Got into good positions and turned away.
    There were some questionable decisions from Referee but the key decisions (penalties) were both spot on.
    Meath in defense were good Lavin McGill and Gallagher played very well as did Keoghan despite taking a heavy knock. Dublin had to really battle for scores. Mannion despite his Man of the Match award never had it so hard but his points were excellent. You couldnt fault the defenders for his scores.

If Meath were offered promotion to Div 1 and a Leinster final back in January they would have taken it. No team will want a trip to Navan for qualifer. Meath are much better than yesterday and I suspect the players know that.

Hopefully they bounce back but either way look forward to Division 1 which will bring on lads a lot and it gives another year of developing young players strength and conditioning to challenge the Dubs.

Best of luck in qualifer game.

• Advertisement

LeoB wrote: »
    Thats a fair analysis.

I really expected and hoped for more from Meath as did genuine followers of Dublin and GAA. I felt they had made great progress and they have to be fair to them. Leinster needed Meath to do better yesterday and so did Dublin. They made a very promising start and could have 2 points up. The big difference from early on was the strength of Dublin. What surprised me was the way the players on both sides were slipping. The conditions didnt help either side.

It is easy to look on and pass judgment. A few things. This Dublin side are unique in sport. Apart from their ability they dont get flustered or upset. They have a plan and a system and dont really change it. That plan is simplicity. At the end of the day players make decisions on the field for themselves.
    Meath I think should have played off the cuff. But the problem is Dublin hit you on counter attack and punish you so waht do you do? Tactically I dont think Meath got it right up front. The forwards they had are all exceptionally good players. . Mickey Newman and Grahame Reilly should have been alternated between 11 and 14. Both I think would have the measure of ANY defence and would have caused Dublin more problems. Why leave Ben Brennan on frees? His confidence took a hammering but hopefully he will get over it. There was 1 free he took I thought Newman should have taken it, . These small thing ate away at Meath. Leaving Conlon in so much was also a mistake. He looked good on the ball but with McMahon in front of him he should have been moved. Dardis and Tobin would have been better options from the start from a physical point of view and provided better support to Newman and Reilly.
    O'Sullivan went missing after a good start simply got psyched out of the game or psyched himself out of it by mouthing a bit. And McEntee was at it on sideline. When O'Sullivan ran at Dublin he was hard to handle. Some Meath players seemed afraid to shoot. Got into good positions and turned away.
    There were some questionable decisions from Referee but the key decisions (penalties) were both spot on.
    Meath in defense were good Lavin McGill and Gallagher played very well as did Keoghan despite taking a heavy knock. Dublin had to really battle for scores. Mannion despite his Man of the Match award never had it so hard but his points were excellent. You couldnt fault the defenders for his scores.

If Meath were offered promotion to Div 1 and a Leinster final back in January they would have taken it. No team will want a trip to Navan for qualifer. Meath are much better than yesterday and I suspect the players know that.

Hopefully they bounce back but either way look forward to Division 1 which will bring on lads a lot and it gives another year of developing young players strength and conditioning to challenge the Dubs.

Best of luck in qualifer game.

Very reasoned and fair analysis Leo. I presume you are a Dub and I must say your team is beyond awesome, but I hope someone beats you on the Drive for Five! ;) I expect nobody will get close though and anyway, the team you have is the best ever seen, easily.

As for us, in the cold light of day, a couple of things.
    1. Our full back line was excellent, weird to say when conceding 1-20 but the Dublin full forward line won't have it as tough again this year. Faded in last 15 but that happens to everyone against the Dubs and I can't even imagine how demoralising it is to be playing so well and see the lads at the far end be so poor.
    2. Some of our bigger players were nowhere to be seen on Sunday. Not keen on naming names in a negative light on a forum as it is too easy to do, but I have no doubt they will come back stronger for the experience.
    3. We are not a bad team, with a bit more coaching and belief, we can definitely do things. Winning the R4 qualifier is now massive to ensure momentum doesn't go. It would be nice to be playing football into late July and give these lads a chance to prove themselves again.

Advertisement