Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Obrieski wrote: »
    Very reasoned and fair analysis Leo. I presume you are a Dub and I must say your team is beyond awesome, but I hope someone beats you on the Drive for Five! ;) I expect nobody will get close though and anyway, the team you have is the best ever seen, easily.

As for us, in the cold light of day, a couple of things.
    1. Our full back line was excellent, weird to say when conceding 1-20 but the Dublin full forward line won't have it as tough again this year. Faded in last 15 but that happens to everyone against the Dubs and I can't even imagine how demoralising it is to be playing so well and see the lads at the far end be so poor.
    2. Some of our bigger players were nowhere to be seen on Sunday. Not keen on naming names in a negative light on a forum as it is too easy to do, but I have no doubt they will come back stronger for the experience.
    3. We are not a bad team, with a bit more coaching and belief, we can definitely do things. Winning the R4 qualifier is now massive to ensure momentum doesn't go. It would be nice to be playing football into late July and give these lads a chance to prove themselves again.

Yes I am a Dublin supporter but lets say lapsed. However I like watching good ball players no matter where they are from. Colm O'Rourke been one of my all time favourites. The only thing I would like to see is Dublin doing the 5 in a row if only to shut up a few pundits on RTE TV and Radio and a few supporters from from the west who absolutely bash their own team and Dublin. And for the record I think I think Donegal are favourites to land Sam. They are the best team I have seen
    over last 2 seasons.
    It is good to see you are keen naming names. No player goes out to lose.

There are a lot of positives and that is always vital. Lads can learn as much in defeat as victory. Dublin suffered some horrible defeats over the years.

It is vital people get behind Meath now. The players need it and deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Andy mc loves the oul hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Not a great look for McEntee

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/06/25/4176029-ill-take-the-fking-head-off-you-if-i-fking-see-you-near-the-dressing-room-again/

Serious questions to be asked after the outburst after Tyrone game last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,019 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Felexicon wrote: »

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/06/25/4176029-ill-take-the-fking-head-off-you-if-i-fking-see-you-near-the-dressing-room-again/

Serious questions to be asked after the outburst after Tyrone game last year too.

Cut the man a bit of slack.

He saw his team terribly under-perform and humiliated and then a journalist asks a stupid question like that.

The most self important people in the GAA are often these local journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Is that Jimmy Geoghegan that sits in on the TAGG podcast with Fergal Lynch? If it is, which it sounds like it probably is I’m very surprised that he could garner that kind of a reaction off McEntee. He sounds harmless enough on the podcast and he’s only supportive of the team whenever he is on discussing it. No mention at all of the incident on Mondays episode. I wonder is there history there or something?

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »

He saw his team terribly under-perform and humiliated and then a journalist asks a stupid question like that.

Absolutely not. You can't go around saying you're going to physically harm someone for doing their job.

I understand the short response to the question as it was in the immediate aftermath of the game but this incident took place at the team bus which was probably over an hour after the final whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Not an excuse.

In any normal walk of life this is not allowable, just because it happened after a defeat in a big game does not allow this.

I like McEntee, he's done a good job and is clearly passionate about his job which is good, but you'd have to worry about having a cool head in the heat of battle if this is how he behaves hours after the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Quite honestly, his response to the initial question would have been OK. His reaction to him interviewing players wasn't on. Physically threatening a journalist for doing his job is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I'm glad I came on here and read the posts regarding Andy and Jimmy. A lot of it on social media is defending Andy and calling Jimmy all sorts. Granted it wasn't a great question to ask when a lad will obviously be smarting after a defeat, but the response a good while later is uncalled for. I wonder is there more to it than we know, has something been crackling under the surface?

The county board hasn't helped either. The response to the Chronicle could've been better and kept this out of the media. I can see why the Chronicle ran it given the reply. Also, and this is another point I think is being missed, why are the CCC putting dual players in this position? It's not just the senior lads, we've a junior team in an All Ireland semi final, and the under 20's start their campaign next week. In what world is it alright to add a demand of championship hurling onto that? It's almost like fixing games is something that just needs to be got out of the way in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Teams have been humiliated for years and I've rarely seen mangers lash out like that at journalists. I don't remember Pat Gilroy threatening journalists after 2009. Or Declan Ryan lashing out after Kilkenny beat Tipp by 20 points in 2012.

Also how is it a stupid question? I'm sure Longwood would love to know if they can play 2 of their best players in vital championship games, and if not they'd like the question put out as to why not?

Then thirdly, in the article itself it doesn't make much of a deal of the first incident. It is the 2nd incident that's totally unacceptable. McEntee made a point of abusing and threatening Geoghegan. That's not a manager losing hús cool in the heat of the moment, that's just a basic lack of civility.

• Advertisement

rpurfield wrote: »
    I'm glad I came on here and read the posts regarding Andy and Jimmy. A lot of it on social media is defending Andy and calling Jimmy all sorts. Granted it wasn't a great question to ask when a lad will obviously be smarting after a defeat, but the response a good while later is uncalled for. I wonder is there more to it than we know, has something been crackling under the surface?

The county board hasn't helped either. The response to the Chronicle could've been better and kept this out of the media. I can see why the Chronicle ran it given the reply. Also, and this is another point I think is being missed, why are the CCC putting dual players in this position? It's not just the senior lads, we've a junior team in an All Ireland semi final, and the under 20's start their campaign next week. In what world is it alright to add a demand of championship hurling onto that? It's almost like fixing games is something that just needs to be got out of the way in Meath.

I have a feeling this may have been why the original question was asked. At best McEntee would respond along the lines of "of course we can't sure we have a round 4 qualifier 7 days later" and Jimmy uses that to show the ridiculous stance being taken by the county board in refusing to postpone the hurling championship. I don't think the original question was meant in a smart arsed way at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Felexicon wrote: »

I agree. While we can understand that he was probably VERY sensitive to a question like that after the game, for him to follow up and threaten the reporter with physical violence is really poor behaviour for an inter county manager who should be showing leadership to players and supporters. However, if he realised the errors of his ways and apologised then I am sure that the Chronicle wold have let it drop.

The point is a good one regarding McEntee's previous outburst after the Tyrone game last year. McEntee has lived on the edge over the years.

Lets hope this can be resolved amicably and allow the players and management concentrate fully on the qualifier game next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

jimd2 wrote: »
    I agree. While we can understand that he was probably VERY sensitive to a question like that after the game, for him to follow up and threaten the reporter with physical violence is really poor behaviour for an inter county manager who should be showing leadership to players and supporters. However, if he realised the errors of his ways and apologised then I am sure that the Chronicle wold have let it drop.

The point is a good one regarding McEntee's previous outburst after the Tyrone game last year. McEntee has lived on the edge over the years.

Lets hope this can be resolved amicably and allow the players and management concentrate fully on the qualifier game next week.

He’s not even that big of a fella McEntee just a typical gaa mouth I would say

not sure how people can defend andy here , bad timing for the question - yes , legit question - yes
    total over reaction by andy - yes

anybody thats ever meet jimmy will know hes quiet

its no secret andy hates hurling , im not sure what his issue is really , hurlers are not the reason for getting hammered sunday

think alot of the replies on twitter defending andy are just usual meath pro football brigade

the county boards response is a farce and them fixing championship for this week has caused this

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

2018na wrote: »
    He’s not even that big of a fella McEntee just a typical gaa mouth I would say
    If he swung at Jimmy last Sunday he probably would have missed anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Brennan got a knee in the back on the ground at one point and a belt off the ball, hopefully its part of a learning curve for him and the rest of the team

Targeting the free taker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭robbiezero

LeoB wrote: »
    Yes I am a Dublin supporter but lets say lapsed. However I like watching good ball players no matter where they are from. Colm O'Rourke been one of my all time favourites. The only thing I would like to see is Dublin doing the 5 in a row if only to shut up a few pundits on RTE TV and Radio and a few supporters from from the west who absolutely bash their own team and Dublin. And for the record I think I think Donegal are favourites to land Sam. They are the best team I have seen
    over last 2 seasons.

It is good to see you are keen naming names. No player goes out to lose.

There are a lot of positives and that is always vital. Lads can learn as much in defeat as victory. Dublin suffered some horrible defeats over the years.

It is vital people get behind Meath now. The players need it and deserve it.

Ah here. They are not related to being favorites to win it out. They were nowhere near it last year, comfortably beaten by the Dubs. They have looked good so far this year, but have not yet done anything like enough to put them as favs vs probably the greatest team of all time.
    Bookies have Dubs at 1/2 and Donegal at 7/1.

rpurfield wrote: »
    I'm glad I came on here and read the posts regarding Andy and Jimmy. A lot of it on social media is defending Andy and calling Jimmy all sorts.
    I mean this in the nicest possible way, but we really do have some thick supporters following us. Between defending a manager physically threatening a journalist (some of them even going as far as saying McEntee should have hit him) and all the crap that was spouted at the players after Sunday's game it makes me fcuking despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Targeting the free taker?

Would have been no different to the Meath defense getting physical with the Dublin forwards.

EICVD wrote: »
    Would have been no different to the Meath defense getting physical with the Dublin forwards.
    Funny, didn't see any Meath players drive knees into Dublin players' backs. I did see the Dublin free taker roll around like Neymar after a push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Up and down the country it is these local journalists that provide plenty coverage of club games at all level. I never knew one that didnt have a good relationship with club and county P.RO.s. They attend matchez in all types of weather, ard good to organise a few photos for lads etc. They are doing a job and it shouldnt be too much to give them a bit of respect.
    If Meath had won McNamee would be the first out of the dressingroom to get his bit of publicity. If he has any decency he should apologise. There will always be muck savage supporters in Meath of course who support that type of ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

No mention of the incident outright on the Talk A Good Game podcast I note, few sly references alright but nothing said.
    Strange, thought the lads would have wanted to at least discuss it and note how they are only doing their job and finding out information for the Meath public. Maybe under instructions to say nothing, I don't know.
    Good podcast though, I like Jimmy actually. No notion of the man in outside life but strikes me as a grandfather type figure, always looking to the positive side of things and clearly very enthusiastic about the county. (no offence Jimmy if you're a younger gentleman!)

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but we really do have some thick supporters following us. Between defending a manager physically threatening a journalist (some of them even going as far as saying McEntee should have hit him) and all the crap that was spouted at the players after Sunday's game it makes me fcuking despair.

deluded cavemen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

3 years ago in leinster final Westmeath scored 6 points v Dublin. So thats the second tims in 4 years teams have scored very low scores v Dublin in leinster final eg Meath 4 points in this years final and Westmeath 6 points 3 years ago in leinster final . Dublin have an aura about them now in Croker were teams are beaten before they enter the field.

2 Wet days do be low scoring days. It didnt effect Dublin but Dublin are the greatest team in the history of the sport. There has been only being 5 wet leinster final days in last 40 years all had teams scoring low scores

2019 Meath 4 points Wet leinster final
    1994 Dublin 1 - 9 Meath 1- 8 Wet leinster final
    1996 Meath 0- 10 Dublin 0- 8 Wet leinster final
    1986 Meath 0- 9 Dublin 0- 7 Wet leinster final
    1985 Dublin 0- 10 Laois 0 - 4 Wet leinster final.

They are the only 5 wet leinster finals of all the last 40 years. 4 of them are lowest scoring leinster finals of the last 40 years. The only team to have a massive score on a wet leinster final in last 40 years is the greatest team ever. I thought the rain might lead to a dogfight. Meath did do allot of things right. But I was wrong rain doesnt suit this Meath teams style of play. Dublin adapted to conditions better because Dublin have the best footballers in the country.

3 Other low scoring games off top of my head
    In 2011 All Ireland semi final
    Dublin 0 - 8 Donegal 0- 6.

Very low scoring semi final. And the amazing thing is Dublin 0 - 5 they scored on Sunday in the first is the lowest Dublin have scored in a first half championship in 8 years , basically since that game that game in 2011 v Donegal. Sundays first half v Meath is the lowest Dublin have scored in the championship v opposition since 2011 All Ireland semi final v Donegal.

It does show u Meath did do things right. Defensivly Meath did well. Keoghan kept Kilkenny very quite. McGill and lavin and Gallagher did well on all. their men. Up to 50 min Meath defence was doing a good job on Dublin forwards. But the Meath forwards did nor have their shooting boots and each miss was knocking stuff out of the teams confidence. And of course in the last 15 or 20 mins game the genius of this Dublin team is they take teams to cleaners in the last 15 mins.

The average loss in leinster final in last 6 years is 15 points. Meath lost by 16. Meath defence did well. Meath defence is why Meath were promoted this year. Meath have been shakey at the back for years. Meath are defensively good at the moment. But the forwards while can score well v div 4 div 3 and div 2 teams. Meath do lack real top class quality upfront . Meath with defenders like Keoghan , McGill , lavin, Gallagher , Ryan , Harnan and Kane have a division 1 defence. But Meath have division 2 forward line.

Meath had the best defence in div 2 this year. Most years Meath have had one of the skakey defences in div 2. But Meath had maybe 4th or 5th best forwards in div 2. Donegal, Kildare, Armagh and maybe Tipp had better forwards then Meath. Meath have good quality forwards but they lack a really top class forward like a Murphy , McBreaty , Clarke , Dan Flynn or Quilvan..Hopefully some of these young talented forwards coming thru can develop into top class forwards. But Meath do have div 1 defence. That why we were promoted, that why we went toe to toe with Donegal twice and Tyrone in last 12 months and kept Dublin to 5 points in the first half on Sunday. kerry would not have as good a defender as keoghan. Galways full back would not be as good as McGill. But kerry and Galway would have a much much superior forwards then Meath. They have div 1 forwards , Meath dont.

But it must be said Meaths best forward Donal lenihan is travelling this year and Meaths best young prospect from last years under 20 team a player with more potential then young Conlon , Shane Walsh , the best full forward in the county at age 18 , was finishing his studies next year. If Meath can get lenihan, young Walsh , Alan Forde and possibly other young talents like Trims Aaron Lynch and Dunshaughlin duo of Mathew Costello and luke Mitchell on to the seniors next year. If 2 or 3 of them were to step up that wud be massive. Meath are short 3 or 4 years players , another midfielder and 2 or 3 top class forwards.

It must be said , the forwards everything went wrong for them. They are much better then they showed on Sunday. They wouldnt have beaten Armagh by 6 points in the league and went toe to toe twice with Donegal this year if they were poor forwards. Sullivan , Newman , McMahon , Conlon and Reilly are quality but really lack a top notch player like a Callaghan or McBreaty in the forwards. Every went wrong for the forwards almost in q freakish way. Hitting the post 3 times , two freetakers having an off day , Dublins aura all led to this kind of low scoring score.

4 Another low scoring game ftom opposition
    All Ireland semi final 2001
    Meath 2 - 15 Kerry 0 - 5
    That was lowest kerry scored in championship match in 100 years. On that great kerry team of 00s which would 5 All Irelands, on that day when kerry scored 0 - 5 in an All Ireland semi final were forwards like Dara Cinneade , Johnny Crowley , Mike Frank Russell and possibly the most naturally gifted forward of all time Maurice Fitzgerald.

5 Another low scoring.
    4 points is not lowest Meath have scored in Croke Park in recent times. Meath scored 3 points in Croke Park. And the opposition scored 6 points.
    On that day the forwards that played for Meath were Trevor Giles, Graham Geraghty, Ollie Murphy and Evan kelly. It was a national league division 1 semi final in Croke Park v Cork. Cork would beat Dublin in the final afterwarda. The year was 1999 the year Meath last won an All Ireland and amazingly those two teams who scores 0 - 3 0- 6 in Croke Park in April 1999. Would later play each other in September All Ireland final in 1999.

Now Im not saying Meath will reach All Ireland final soon. But I am saying teams hitting low scores in Croker has happened before. Everyone expected Meath to be hammered so its not a real shock and with Dublin hammering every team in leinster by an average of 15 points in last 6 years, beating louth by 26 points with 14 men and kildare by 15 points in the semi final and Meath by 16 points in the final. Meath being hammered by Dublin should not be any surprise. The main point is Dublin hammered Meath like they have hammered every team in leinster for 6 years and they have even comprehensivly beaten every top team in the country in last 6 years. Mayo Tyrone kerry have all been beaten by massive figures by Dublin.

SHC began last night. Kiltale started their bid for 6 in a row by easily beating Kildalkey 1-22 to 0-15.
    Interesting to see how the various teams fare without their footballers. Longwood missing Burke and Lynch will probably be most affected.

burke will play , lynch is suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Sonny678 wrote: »
    3 years ago in leinster final Westmeath scored 6 points v Dublin. So thats the second tims in 4 years teams have scored very low scores v Dublin in leinster final eg Meath 4 points in this years final and Westmeath 6 points 3 years ago in leinster final . Dublin have an aura about them now in Croker were teams are beaten before they enter the field.

2 Wet days do be low scoring days. It didnt effect Dublin but Dublin are the greatest team in the history of the sport. There has been only being 5 wet leinster final days in last 40 years all had teams scoring low scores

2019 Meath 4 points Wet leinster final
    1994 Dublin 1 - 9 Meath 1- 8 Wet leinster final
    1996 Meath 0- 10 Dublin 0- 8 Wet leinster final
    1986 Meath 0- 9 Dublin 0- 7 Wet leinster final
    1985 Dublin 0- 10 Laois 0 - 4 Wet leinster final.

They are the only 5 wet leinster finals of all the last 40 years. 4 of them are lowest scoring leinster finals of the last 40 years. The only team to have a massive score on a wet leinster final in last 40 years is the greatest team ever. I thought the rain might lead to a dogfight. Meath did do allot of things right. But I was wrong rain doesnt suit this Meath teams style of play. Dublin adapted to conditions better because Dublin have the best footballers in the country.

3 Other low scoring games off top of my head
    In 2011 All Ireland semi final
    Dublin 0 - 8 Donegal 0- 6.

Very low scoring semi final. And the amazing thing is Dublin 0 - 5 they scored on Sunday in the first is the lowest Dublin have scored in a first half championship in 8 years , basically since that game that game in 2011 v Donegal. Sundays first half v Meath is the lowest Dublin have scored in the championship v opposition since 2011 All Ireland semi final v Donegal.

It does show u Meath did do things right. Defensivly Meath did well. Keoghan kept Kilkenny very quite. McGill and lavin and Gallagher did well on all. their men. Up to 50 min Meath defence was doing a good job on Dublin forwards. But the Meath forwards did nor have their shooting boots and each miss was knocking stuff out of the teams confidence. And of course in the last 15 or 20 mins game the genius of this Dublin team is they take teams to cleaners in the last 15 mins.

The average loss in leinster final in last 6 years is 15 points. Meath lost by 16. Meath defence did well. Meath defence is why Meath were promoted this year. Meath have been shakey at the back for years. Meath are defensively good at the moment. But the forwards while can score well v div 4 div 3 and div 2 teams. Meath do lack real top class quality upfront . Meath with defenders like Keoghan , McGill , lavin, Gallagher , Ryan , Harnan and Kane have a division 1 defence. But Meath have division 2 forward line.

Meath had the best defence in div 2 this year. Most years Meath have had one of the skakey defences in div 2. But Meath had maybe 4th or 5th best forwards in div 2. Donegal, Kildare, Armagh and maybe Tipp had better forwards then Meath. Meath have good quality forwards but they lack a really top class forward like a Murphy , McBreaty , Clarke , Dan Flynn or Quilvan..Hopefully some of these young talented forwards coming thru can develop into top class forwards. But Meath do have div 1 defence. That why we were promoted, that why we went toe to toe with Donegal twice and Tyrone in last 12 months and kept Dublin to 5 points in the first half on Sunday. kerry would not have as good a defender as keoghan. Galways full back would not be as good as McGill. But kerry and Galway would have a much much superior forwards then Meath. They have div 1 forwards , Meath dont.

But it must be said Meaths best forward Donal lenihan is travelling this year and Meaths best young prospect from last years under 20 team a player with more potential then young Conlon , Shane Walsh , the best full forward in the county at age 18 , was finishing his studies next year. If Meath can get lenihan, young Walsh , Alan Forde and possibly other young talents like Trims Aaron Lynch and Dunshaughlin duo of Mathew Costello and luke Mitchell on to the seniors next year. If 2 or 3 of them were to step up that wud be massive. Meath are short 3 or 4 years players , another midfielder and 2 or 3 top class forwards.

It must be said , the forwards everything went wrong for them. They are much better then they showed on Sunday. They wouldnt have beaten Armagh by 6 points in the league and went toe to toe twice with Donegal this year if they were poor forwards. Sullivan , Newman , McMahon , Conlon and Reilly are quality but really lack a top notch player like a Callaghan or McBreaty in the forwards. Every went wrong for the forwards almost in q freakish way. Hitting the post 3 times , two freetakers having an off day , Dublins aura all led to this kind of low scoring score.

4 Another low scoring game ftom opposition
    All Ireland semi final 2001
    Meath 2 - 15 Kerry 0 - 5
    That was lowest kerry scored in championship match in 100 years. On that great kerry team of 00s which would 5 All Irelands, on that day when kerry scored 0 - 5 in an All Ireland semi final were forwards like Dara Cinneade , Johnny Crowley , Mike Frank Russell and possibly the most naturally gifted forward of all time Maurice Fitzgerald.

5 Another low scoring.
    4 points is not lowest Meath have scored in Croke Park in recent times. Meath scored 3 points in Croke Park. And the opposition scored 6 points.
    On that day the forwards that played for Meath were Trevor Giles, Graham Geraghty, Ollie Murphy and Evan kelly. It was a national league division 1 semi final in Croke Park v Cork. Cork would beat Dublin in the final afterwarda. The year was 1999 the year Meath last won an All Ireland and amazingly those two teams who scores 0 - 3 0- 6 in Croke Park in April 1999. Would later play each other in September All Ireland final in 1999.

Now Im not saying Meath will reach All Ireland final soon. But I am saying teams hitting low scores in Croker has happened before. Everyone expected Meath to be hammered so its not a real shock and with Dublin hammering every team in leinster by an average of 15 points in last 6 years, beating louth by 26 points with 14 men and kildare by 15 points in the semi final and Meath by 16 points in the final. Meath being hammered by Dublin should not be any surprise. The main point is Dublin hammered Meath like they have hammered every team in leinster for 6 years and they have even comprehensivly beaten every top team in the country in last 6 years. Mayo Tyrone kerry have all been beaten by massive figures by Dublin.

Great post!
    I'd completely forgotten about that 0-06 to 0-03 semi final loss to Cork,
    Found this article on it, I love the quotes from the Meath supporters at the end, sounds like the same sort of crap you hear on another Meath Forum. :-)
    https://amp.independent.ie/sport/cork-advance-as-dire-meath-miss-the-point-26154363.html

Christ I'd wiped that Cork game from memory. Absolutely dire game. Hard to believe that we were All Ireland Champions 5 months later.
    I remember us failing to score in the first half of a league game against Kildare in Navan a year or two prior to that. Played against a hurricane and driving rain in the first half only for the weather to completely clear in the second half meaning we were easily beaten.

• Advertisement

The game was a strange one. It showed brillance of this Dublin team. But there is also positives for Meath. Yes forwards had a meltdown but the backs did a good job. At least 4 Meath defenders were able for the talented Dubs forwards . Next spring in the league hopefully this will help Meath in divsion 1. Meath have good natural defenders like Keoghan, McGill, Lavin Gallagher, Ryan, Harnan and Kane. Galway, Donegal and Monaghan all stayed in div 1 with being strong at the back. Its a positive that Meaths progess this year is based on their defence.

Now we need young players like Conlon and Campion to keep developing; the return of Donal lenihan and Alan Forde and hopefully two or three forwards of our under 20 tean which is on paper is are strongest in years at around this age group. We need 2 or 3 quality forwards to emerge in next 2 to 3 seasons . The next two league campaigns in spring of 2020 and the spring of 2021 will be the defining moment in this Meath teams development and McEntees tenure as manager. If Meath have two successful league campaigns in 2020 and 2021 , it will be a massive massive turning point for Meath. Stay in div 1 in 2020 will be important. Staying again up in 2021 again would be massive. If we were relegated we still sud be still have a great chance of promotion again in 2021. So we sud be in div 1 for at least 2 of next 3 seasons even if we get relegated next year.

Players peaking in 2020 and 2021 , by coincidence the return of maybe 8 panel players next year eg Lenihan , Jones , Kennelly , O Coilean , Kane , Forde, Eamon and Joey Wallace. This will increase competition for panel places. And I could see 3 or 4 maybe norw players being called up from our under 20 team. And even players like Shane Walsh at 19 have been drafted into panel this week .

What happened last sunday is the beginning not the end for this Meath team. When we got hammered in 2014 it was our third leinster final in a row and the scores were getting worse eg 2012 3 points , 2013 7 points , 2014 16 points. We hopefully play Dublin a few more times in next few years. It was McEntee and these players first game v Dublin. Of the starting 15 only 3 played v Dublin in 2016.

It took Dwyer til his fifth game v Dublin to beat them and Eugene McGee and Sean Boylan defeated Dublin at their fourth attempt. It take years and many loses before u can beat Dublin. Sunday was the beginning of McEntee and this Meaths journey. When we play Dublin in 2020 or 2021 I will come out with the auld traditional guff we will beat Dublin. Thats because when I grew up I saw Meath teams annually beat Dublin. But the truth is Meath will not beat Dublin in 2020 if we meet or 2021. If will be another 3 or 4 years at least and another 3 or 4 games down the line before Meath can toe to toe with Dublin. Its the same for kildare. Both teams need a manager and group of players to commit the next 4 or 5 years to go to war with Dublin and hopefully both teams can end up leinster champions in the years 2023 or 2024 or 2025.

Maybe they wouldn't and fail like Meath did in mid 70s and kildare in early 70s. But the only way u can be sucessful in leinster and this is for Laois Westmeath louth Offaly every county. U need a group of players led by manager who will to commit at least a half decade of their life to dethtoning Dublin. Thats what Sean Boylan and his Meath teams did in mid 80s and mid 90s , thats what Mick Dwyer and his his kildare team did in late 90s and thats what Eugene McGee and his offaly team did in the early 80s. They are the three most sucessful managers in history leinster football outside Dublin.

Meath and kildare were both hammered v Dublin. That is start. They both need to learn from this experience and when they meet Dublin next theyre sud be an improvement. Instead of losing by 16 points they sud be losing by 9 or 8 or 7 points. And then in 2021 or 2022. A better performance v Dublin and then hopefully been able to go toe toe with a Dublin in 3 or 4 years time and 3 or 4 games down the line v Dublin. Thats the way you can be sucessful in leinster. Its a long process and there is no gurantee eitheir Meath or kildare or or laois or Offaly or whoever will do this. But Meath and kildare have begun this process this summer. The next game they meet Dublin they need a better performance. Thats what they need. Another hammering would be not a good sign. But the key for both teams is division 1 football , the longer u stay in divsion one the stronger u become that is football fact.

Advertisement