Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Gael85 wrote: »
    Is that Brian McMahon that plays with Ratoath any connection to Brian McMahon who played with Skyrne in late 90s? He played for Clare then moved to Meath.

Not to turn this into a clare thread, Brian McMahon for meath is young enough his father is from Coolmeen but living up there with years

He is a fine football to be fair but different man, the other lad was from Liscannor I think that played in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

Not to turn this into a clare thread, Brian McMahon for meath is young enough his father is from Coolmeen but living up there with years

He is a fine football to be fair but different man, the other lad was from Liscannor I think that played in the 90s

No this lad played with Eire Og. I think his father was a judge in Ennis and he was also nephew of Martin O'Neill. He transferred to Skyrne in Meath in late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

From what I heard, Dessie Farrell approached him with a view of joining up with his Dublin setup but Davy turned it down assuming he would remain on at Ratoath. He then made some (not unreasonable) requests for next season (to do with upgrading the gym in the clubhouse and the like) which didn't go down well. Heard that only one of the 8 committee members voted for him to remain.
    Can't see the players being too pleased as he's pretty much universally liked and gave every player a crack at the whip and had them playing an excellent brand of football.

Bananas stuff. The amount of players coming through for ye now is serious, surely making sure they get all they need goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

From what I heard, Dessie Farrell approached him with a view of joining up with his Dublin setup but Davy turned it down assuming he would remain on at Ratoath. He then made some (not unreasonable) requests for next season (to do with upgrading the gym in the clubhouse and the like) which didn't go down well. Heard that only one of the 8 committee members voted for him to remain.
    Can't see the players being too pleased as he's pretty much universally liked and gave every player a crack at the whip and had them playing an excellent brand of football.

I couldn't believe it when i read the statement from Ratoath GAA. Shocking stuff. From what I am hearing it was more down to people wanting to interfere in the team selection. I can't understand them getting rid of him with his requests to upgrade the gym. The amount of Ratoath players i see a fair few Ratoath players training in my gym in Ashbourne. Always wondered why they were there when they had a gym in the club.. I'd say a few clubs close to Ratoath would be eyeing up Davy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Gael85 wrote: »
    No this lad played with Eire Og. I think his father was a judge in Ennis and he was also nephew of Martin O'Neill. He transferred to Skyrne in Meath in late 90s.

The Brian McMahon lad the lads are on about here is the son of a Coolmeen native his cousins still play for them now

I can't remember the Eire Og lad, but the rathoath lads an excellent footballer, was excellent in the round 4 qualifier vs clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Absolute shambles in Ratoath currently. Afraid I don’t know anything further to the rumours but regardless, shocking carry on it does appear.

Would be just typical that after building up such amazing goodwill and having had our best year ever, we decide to throw it all away with internal politics and power brokers who let egos get in the way of what’s best it seems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Obrieski wrote: »
    Absolute shambles in Ratoath currently. Afraid I don’t know anything further to the rumours but regardless, shocking carry on it does appear.

Would be just typical that after building up such amazing goodwill and having had our best year ever, we decide to throw it all away with internal politics and power brokers who let egos get in the way of what’s best it seems.
    Exactly my sentiments. Ratoath is a big town now but there’s still a lot of small village thinking involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Good win over laois , played some real good football at times. Two young lads Jack Connor and Matthew Costello played well , Connor took his goal well , but for me Costello was really good. Menton played well at midfield. Brian Conlon who was very good v Westmeath at midfield before Christmas was replaced by Ronan Jones. Yes Ronan Jones who came on and played very well. Ronan Jones and Joey Wallace were both named on the bench which was a shock as Jones was suspondsedly in USA til summer and Joey Wallace was travelling the world. But both were named on the bench which was a great boost.

I dont know the story regards both, but before today I was told Jones will be in the USA in the spring and will return in the summer for good. So he will probaly miss the league. But his return for the championship will be a big boost. We have lacked big men around the middle but return of Brian Conlon, Ronan Jones and Paddy Kennelly ( who also returned today) means they are three big men who can play midfield who we didnt have last year. And the last ten mins v 3 teams in super 8 , I think lack of options at midfield was crucial to our collaspe in last 10 mins v Donegal, Mayo and kerry . Hopefully have these guys back for championship is a big boost. Im not certain if Jones is returning , but if he was avaiable for the league , it would really boost our midfield option. A Brian Menton/ Ronan Jones midfield would be my first choice with Brian Conlon and Kennelly as back up , that looks much stronger then last year.

I dont know what the situation is with Joey Wallace , but id he was available that would be another boost as he was best inside forward in the club championship. And with Mickey Newman injured , Joey Wallace availablity would be great. A full forward line of 13 Donal lenihan 14 Shane Walsh 15 Joey Wallace looks our best option. However injuries are worsening and could be a massive issue for the league. Donal lenihan limped off after 6 mins with injury. Hopefully it wasnt very serious , for if we lose Newman and lenihan for the league, I think that could really damage our league chances. While Shane Walsh was good , if we had our two best inside forwards beside in the full forward line, a lenihan, Walsh, Newman full forward line would trouble div 1 teams.

The return of players like Donal lenihan, Eamon Wallace, Joey Wallace, Ronan Jones and Paddy kennelly added to new young players like Shane Walsh, Matthew Costello and Jack O Connor and other new players like Rob Clarke ( who has had good Bryne cup at corner back ) and Osion O Brien ( who scores always when he comes on. They are ten players we didnt have last year. McEntee is slowly improving the depth of the panel and strenght of the bench. And when we get players bsck from injury hopefully for end of the league and start of champiinship like Lavin , Harnan, Devine , S McEntee and Newman means our sub bench will be substantially stronger last year. It just pity with these injuries , Hopefully lenihan and Campion injuries are short term. But Campion on crutchs is a bad sign. Probaly not a short term injury. That is my main worry but I think we will stay in division 1.

If we had every play fit my team would be but just look at the bench thats a strong bench

1 Dominic Yorke
    2 Seamus Lavin
    3 Conor McGill
    4 Shane Gallagher
    5 James McEntee
    6 Padraig Harnan
    7 Donal keoghan
    8 Brian Menton
    9 Ronan Jones
    10 Cillian Sullivan
    11 Byran McMahon
    12 Matthew Costello
    13 Donal lenihan
    14 Shane Walsh
    15 Michael Newman
    Subs
    16 Andy Colgan
    17 Robin Clarke
    18 Ronan Ryan
    19 Ross Ryan
    20 Niall kane
    21 Gavin McCoy
    22 Brian Conlon
    23 Paddy kennelly
    24 Eamon Wallace
    25 Joey Wallace
    26 Dara Campion
    27 Jack Connor
    28 James Conlon
    29 Osin O Brien
    30 Barry Dardis
    31 Thomas O Reilly
    32 Sean Toibin
    33 Eoin Lynch
    34 Ethan Devine
    35 Niall kane
    36 Ben Brennan

There is serious options on the bench and on match day there will serious competition to get on the bench. I definatley feel our panel when we get players back ftom injury is substantially stronger then last year. like we could have a new goalie this year eg Dominic Yorke, new midfield partner for menton eg Brian Conlon or Ronan Jones , new full forward and new freetaker eg Shane Walsh and new corner forward eg Donal lenihan and new players as potential match day panelist starters eg Joey Wallace , Eamon Wallace , Robin Clarke, Paddy kennelly , Osin O Brien, Matthew Costello, Jack Connor. Those 12 players are players that were not available. ( I know Walsh played a game v kerry but that was his only game and he missed the whole league and leinster championship only jioned panel in July, he a new player this year). These new players and when we get playere back from injury means our panel should be much stronger this year , thats what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Hurlers got a bit of a pasting from Offaly in the Kehoe Cup, 8-18 to 3-18. I've never seen Meath concede 8 goals in one match in my 20 years or so following the hurlers.*

It's usually a lazy way to place blame but I've heard from several people who were at the match that our keeper had an absolute nightmare of a game. Not that it would have changed the result.

We play Offaly in Birr again in 3 weeks in the League opener. I don't hold out much hope based on performances so far. Survival is the aim. With Wicklow and Mayo at home in the league that should be quite achievable, I don't expect to get any points off Kerry, Offaly and Antrim.

*I did a bit of research and I'm reasonably confident that's Meath's first time to concede 8 goals since losing 8-08 to 4-08 to Down in Division 2 of the NHL in 1981. The only room for doubt is that I'm missing about 6-7 years of Kehoe/Walsh cup results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

6.2M from the government for Navan. If the GAA row in behind this they could realistically build 2 new stands over the next 2 years. After that they should look to turn one bank into a terrace and that would do the job. If they ever got around to it turn the other bank into a seated stand.

• Advertisement

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    6.2M from the government for Navan. If the GAA row in behind this they could realistically build 2 new stands over the next 2 years. After that they should look to turn one bank into a terrace and that would do the job. If they ever got around to it turn the other bank into a seated stand.

Pretty sure the plan is four stands eventually. I just hope it's not a case of doing one of them and leaving it for ages. I'd agree a terrace or two either end would be brilliant. Hopefully it pushes on now, I think it helps that things are improving on the pitch.

Anyone know how much they managed to get from the house draw?

Kepak are back, this time sponsoring the Meath ladies' football teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Kepak are back, this time sponsoring the Meath ladies' football teams.

yea and i really like the jersey!

So Newman is out for the league as he requires hip surgery. Is that the same injury he suffered a few years back? Not a good sign and I'd have my doubts whether he'll be back for the championship.
    Glenveagh are the new hurling jersey sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

So Newman is out for the league as he requires hip surgery. Is that the same injury he suffered a few years back? Not a good sign and I'd have my doubts whether he'll be back for the championship.
    Glenveagh are the new hurling jersey sponsors.

Wasn't that his elbow? Unfortunate injury... he'll be pushing 30 this year. Feel he never really got a good run in a Meath jersey over the years for his talent with injuries

Really unfortunate for Mickey Newman, he took a year off to let an injury clear up ( I forget what though). Shame to be hit for an extended period again like this.

I think Meath will be substantially stronger this year then last year. Simply because the return of 7 or 8 proven inter county players to the panel. For the first time since 2012 the best footballers in Meath are playing for Meath. That was the year Meath or any team in leinster got close to Dublin. Meath lost by 3 points and could have nicked a draw.

In 2013 and the next few years under Mick O Dowd , Meath dropped players , proven county players like Joe Sheridan , Brian Farrell , Cian Ward and Peadar Byrne who still had lots of years left in them and were still.some of the best footballers in Meath. This meant Meath were not playing some of the best players in the county. Then under McEntee Meath were losing 10 11 or 12 players every year. This is a problem for all county teams outside div 1. The only teams that keep their players are top div 1 teams. Derry were losing 15 players every season. Cork lost 16 players a year ago. Even this year Cavan and Roscommon have lost players this year. Teams outside div 1 lose 10 plus players every year. How many players have Meath lost this year, players not returned to the panel ? Zero. Every year under McEntee in div 2 Meath were losing 11 , 12 , 13 players every year like every team in div two three or four. Meath get promoted to div 1 , Meath lose zero players.

If anything Meath have gained players. Incredibly 7 or 8 players, proven , experienced inter county players have returned to Meath panel and all of them were unvailable last year with travelling , studying and working abroad , some of the reasons. For the first in 8 years , the best footballers in Meath are playing for Meath. This means

1 Meath will have a new goalkeeper this year eg Dominic Yorke
    2 Meath will have new midfield partner for Menton eg Brian Conlon and later on Ronan Jones
    3 Meath will have a new freetaker this year eg Shane Walsh
    4 Meath will have a new full forward this year eg Shane Walsh
    5 Meath will have new inside forward eg Donal lenihan
    ( Shane Walsh is a new player this year, he only came onto panel in July last year and started one game last year that was v Kerry in Aug)
    6 Meath will have 4 or 5 proven inter county players subs on the bench, they didnt have last year eg Joey Wallace , Eamon Wallace , Paddy Kennelly , Alan Forde ,and Oisin O Brien. (Oisin O Brien played underage with Galway. And has played for Galway in FBD in recent years. At 27 he is playing for O Mahoney and living in Navan. )
    7 Meath have 8 proven inter county players returning to the panel this year eg Donal lenihan , Eamon Wallace , Joey Wallace , Ronan Jones, Brian Conlon, Paddy Kennelly, Alan Forde.

Meaths main problem last year were midfield and full forward line. Both areas have new options this year.

1 Meath last year had a wing back at midfield eg S McEntee and when he was taken off in a game he was replaced by 20 year old corner back. Meath lacked big men and midfield options last year. Meath have 4 new big strong midfielders this year including Ronan Jones who is best midfielder in the county, who will return in March.

Meaths 4 new midfielders this year to partner Menton this year are Ronan Jones , Brian Conlon , Paddy Kennelly and Thomas Murtagh. All unvailible last year all big strong midfielders.

2 Meath had problems in the full forward line last year. Meath have 7 new inside forwards this year on the panel including the best inside full forward in Meath eg Donal lenihan and the best full forward in the county eg Shane Walsh.

7 new inside forwards r available to Meath this year that were not on the panel last year are
    Donal Lenihan, Eamon Wallace , Joey Wallace , Oisin O Brien, Shane Walsh, Jack O Connor and Jordan Morris.

So Meath have 4 new midfield option including best midfielder in the county they didnt have last year and 7 new inside forwards options including best forward in the county Donal lenihan. They didnr have those last year. That has to help the team.

Another area that is a boost for Meath is young talent coming through especially forward talent. These player at 18 or 19 or 20 are making an immdiate impact. That hasnt happenned since the 1990s in Meath. While Meath havent won an All Ireland underage title recentlu but there has been signs of progress. Meath have won last two under 16 leinster titles and have won 2 leinster minor titles. And when Meath defeated Dublin in under 20s, two weeks ago that was the 5th time in 5 years Meath have beaten Dublin at underage. Many of these players have never lost to Dublin at underage. The players coming through seem to have more confidence and taleng then. players Meath produced in the last decade and. at higher level.

One of the main reasons Meath got promoted last year and reached super 8 was the new young players.

1 Meath had 7 under 20 players who played last year.
    2 Meath had youngest forwards in the super 8s. 5 of the Meath forwards who played in super 8s were 18 or 19 or 20.
    3 When Meath played v louth in Bryne cup a few weeks ago four of the forwards were 19 years old.

There is some quality forwards coming thru.
    1 Shane Walsh at 18 is the best full forward in the county. In his first game ever to start for Meath v khe kerry full back line in super 8, he caused massive problems scoring 6 points , three from play.
    2 Jack O Connor 19. Was the top scorer in Meath senior club football last year and is still a teenager.
    3 Mathew Costello 18 voted the best young footballer in Meath was man of match two weeks ago v laois in Byrne cup in his first start. Walsh , O Connor and Costello will probaly start v Tyrone.
    4 Jordan Morris 19. A Very exciting forward. Reminds me everytime I see him of Ollie Murphy.
    Others
    James Conlon 20, Dara Campion 20, Ethan Devine 20 .
    Thats 7 players aged 20 or under ; all forwards will all get game time this year for Meath seniors. The last time seven under 21 players played for Meath was in the late 90s.

Another reason I am.optimiatic this year is McEntees 4th year in charge. It always takes years for a manager to build up a team from.doildrum especially a traditional county. And with Nally as coach means Meath have a div 1 management team.

Another reason is so many of the players who debuted in 2012 , 2013 and 2014 leinster final years are now peaking as footballers. Most sportspeople peak at 26 27. The average age of Tippearey team which won the hurling All Ireland last year was 27. The average age of Galway team that won the hurling All Ireland in 2017 was 27. And the average age of Brian Codys last 5 All Ireland hurling winning teams were 27.

So many of the Meath players are starting to peak eg Seamus Lavin 25 , Shane Gallagher 25 , Padraig Harnan 24 , Cillian Sullivan 25 , Barry Dardis 25 , James McEntee 25 , Shane McEntee 25 , Conor McGill 26 , Eamon Wallace 25 , Joey Wallace 24 , Bryan McMahon 27.
    Its a good age for these young players to go up to div 1.

(Also Meath have great div 1 pedigree. From 1930 to 2000 only Dublin and kerry were longer in div 1. Meath won 7 div 1 league titles which means only kerry , Dublin , Cork and Mayo have been more sucessful counties in the history of league football )

Three years ago on this forum I predicted Meath would do little in McEntees first two years , Meath would improve in 3rd year , which they did and Meath would make an impact in year 4 or 5 under McEntee. I am confident this will still happen. With 7 proven players retirning to the panel including some of the best footballars in the county , 7 talented under 20 footballers, McEntee in his fourth year , so many of the panel peaking as footballers and for tbe first since 2012 the best footballers are playing for Meath and I believe Meath are stronger then they were last year and I believe Meath will stay in div 1 and make a bigger impact championship last year.

Simply put the ten new players to the panel and no players leaving means Meath are stronger this year and will make a bigger impact this year then last. In that with ten new players its means the competition for match day panel when everyone is fit will be seriously competitive .

The one problem and area of concern is the injuries. A national paper wrote last week a whole page on Meath injury crisis. Meath have had 6 players recently who had surgery and when Meath beat loais in a very good performance recently Meath had 10 players injured. Now some are long terms other not eg Newman Lavin and Harnan are out for most of the league and Newman for all the league. They are loses as Newman was 4th top scorer in the All Ireland championshop last year , while Harnan still only 24 is Meaths best defender after Keoghan and McGill. And Lavin has turned into quality corner back who was excellent in super 8s. However I think we have cover for all 3. Its if we have more injuries atop of this like lenihan, Sullivan and McMahon who were injured v Loais. But it seems they should be in contention v laois. As long as this those not become a full scale injury crisis and Lenihan , Sullivan McMahon and Gallagher are available v Tyrone and Donegal; we sud be able to cope with the injuries. And there is also chance S McEntee and Devine might be available in the coming weeks. Campion who was brillant v kerry in super 8s is on crutchs, so I dont know about him.
    At the moment I think we can cope however if it becomes a full scale injury crisis it will scupper our hopes off staying in div 1. However if that is the case not all hope is lost. As most of the players like Newman will be back for the championship. Then come thw championship time Meath will be stronger then last year as the Meath panel looks substantially stronger with 10 new players fighting for match day panel places.

I believe Meath will stay in div 1 and make a bigger impact in the championship then last year. Meath are not going to reach an All Ireland final but be more competitive at super 8 level that can happen. People keep talking about performance v Dublin. But comparing Meath to Dublin is not a good fair
    comparsion. Dublin are the greatest team ever and who have hammered every team in the country , even the top teams in the country in the last few years. Look at Meaths performances v second best team in the country kerry , 3rd best team in the country Donegal and 4th or 5th best team in the country in the last 12 months and they are beter comparsions.

In 2018 only for point in 7th min of injury time and a free not given to Meath in extra time of extra time Meath were unlucky not to beat Tyrone. In 3 games v Donegal last year Donegal struggled for long times v Meath. Meath were the better team in Ballybofey in the league for most of the game and sud have won and up to 60 min in the championship Meath were ahead and looked like they could win v Donegal. And in the league final Meath blew away Donegal in first half leading by 9 points at one stage. V Kerry again Meath were ahead at 60 min. Yes Meath fell away in last ten minutes , but in the 3 games v Donegal and V Tyrone , Kerry and Mayo in last 12 months Meath were ahead in every single one of those games up to 60th min. Yes Meath fell badly behind in the last ten mins. But if Meath can improve , there is a chance. Yes Meath are at moral victories stage where they are doing well v top teams. But can Meath turn moral victories and being very competitive into actual victories after 70 plus mins.

I believe Meath can why? 7 or 8 proven inter county players , some of the best footballers in Meath returning to the panel ( lenihan , Jones , B Conlon) and young talented footballers like Shane Walsh , Dara Campion and Matthew Costello on the panel this year. Meath have a new goalie , new midfiedlder , new full forward , new free taker , new corner forward this year and 4 new options at midfield and 7 new options for the full forward line. Thats sud help Meath improve from last August to now. Simply put havin ten new players they did have last year who are some of the best footballers in Meath can only improve the depth of the Meath panel.

Everyone is predicting Meath will be relegated. Its the same as last year , no one predicted Meath would get promoted or reach super 8. No one could see Meath improving last year. Its the same this year. People canot seem Meath improving. The reason I believe Meath will make a bigger impact and will improve this year is because of these new players who in are contention for the team who were not last year eg Donal Lenihan, Ronan Jones, Eamon Wallace , Joey Wallace , Brian Conlon , Paddy kennelly , Shane Walsh , Jack O Conor , Oisin O Brien , Matthew Costello and Jordan Morris.

Some of these players r the best footballer in Meath. Thats my main point for the first time in years , since 2012 actually the best players in Meath are playing for Meath after McEntee losing 11 plus players every year. So with new talent coming through proven , inter county players returning and players peaking this all makes me believe Meath overall will have a better season this year then last year, as Meath panel is substantially stronger this year , especially when everyone is fit.

A wee bit more worried now . Just heard Meath could be without 9 first team starters on Sunday. Newman, Lavin , Harnan , S McEntee and Devine are definatly out.
    But Cillian Sullivan is injured and is doubt for Sunday. Bryan McMahon is injured and is doubt for Sunday . And Shane Gallagher is injured and a doubt for Sunday. And there is also rumours that Donal Lenihan could be a doubt.
    That would Meath would be without three of their first choice defenders , the whole half forward line and two best inside forwards and Mentons midfield partner last year. 9 first team.starters from last year possibly missing for any team is a worry. I think 6 players having a surgery is indication that playerw need to peak twice in the season means they are training full on all season long and possibly leading to surgery. We will have a better indication on Sunday at 2.00 who is available for Meath. Meath beat Cavan yesterday behind closed doors in a challenge game no information on the team that played for Meath. We have to wait til 2.00 on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I'm going to say that Newman might not be missed as much as some people think. He was our free-taker so scoring-wise its always going to read as if he was integral but my assessment of his last season was he was god incarnate for the first 15 minutes of the league final V Donegal and regressed subsequently. Just never really got anywhere near to hitting those same heights and I'd even say he looked a bit lethargic at times in big matches during the championship. Shane Walsh should be able to slot in and take over the kicking duties but hopefully with a bit more energy around the pitch. It would always be nice to have Newman as an option but I'm not as worried as most people are.  

• Advertisement

Meath Team Annonuced
    1 Colgan
    2 Clarke
    3McGill
    4 Toner
    5 J McEntee
    6 Ryan
    7 Keoghan
    8 Menton
    9 B Conlon
    10 Brennan
    11 McMahon
    12 E Wallace
    13 Sullivan
    14 Reilly
    15 Walsh

Gallagher must be injured. It looks like Meath have 7 injuries, all pretty much first team starters. So we are injured these players S Mcentee Lavin, Devine, Gallagher, Harnan, Lenihan, Newman. That above team that will start v Tyrone has 9 changes to the Meath team that played v Donegal in the super 8s last July. Meaths full back line which was really good last year eg lavin, McGill Gallagher. Meath have two debutants in the full back line eg Clarke Toner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Meath played Cavan in a challenge game last weekend. Apparently Meath played very defensively in preparation for Tyrone away. I believe it ended 1-8 a piece. Was definitely a draw, just not sure on the score. Cavan apparently 1-2 to 3 points up at half time.
    I'm going to say that Newman might not be missed as much as some people think. He was our free-taker so scoring-wise its always going to read as if he was integral but my assessment of his last season was he was god incarnate for the first 15 minutes of the league final V Donegal and regressed subsequently. Just never really got anywhere near to hitting those same heights and I'd even say he looked a bit lethargic at times in big matches during the championship. Shane Walsh should be able to slot in and take over the kicking duties but hopefully with a bit more energy around the pitch. It would always be nice to have Newman as an option but I'm not as worried as most people are.

He's a big loss for the frees but if ye have someone to step up and take on that mantle, you may be right. At times last year, I felt he needed to take a second more rather than turn and shoot immediately. Don't get me wrong, I do admire forwards who can do that but he needs to be more aware of what's going on around him before he just goes himself. Against Mayo, particularly, watching it from the stand, I felt there were goal chances on at times if Mickey had laid the ball off to a runner.

A free taker that will slot over at least 80% of the kicks they get is what is needed in Division 1, and that includes 45s. You have lads now like Sean O'Shea knocking them over like a 14 yard free.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Looking forward to seeing Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I hope we’ve seriously worked on our kick out strategy over the off season. It cost us games last year, and we won’t be going anywhere fast unless that’s put right.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

I hope we’ve seriously worked on our kick out strategy over the off season. It cost us games last year, and we won’t be going anywhere fast unless that’s put right.

100% agree, but that’s a team effort and not just Colgans issue. IMO one of the reasons cluxton gets praise for his kick out is the movement from Dublin players and the way they play with confidence and want to have the ball. Half forwards making runs to the half back line running into a ball played into space.
    If the lads aren’t alert moving into space and looking for the ball the keeper job is a lot harder.
    It’s a team/management effort. Only Colgan need to do is make the correct decision, if the short ball is in doubt go long.

It looks as though we're kicking it away. 13 scoring chances and have only taken 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It looks as though we're kicking it away. 13 scoring chances and have only taken 4.

Shocking second half from meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Back in the big time now. 2mins 50seconds on the Sunday Game. First 15 seconds showed the 2 teams getting their photos taken and probably 30 second interview with Andy that gave no insight.
    No analysis at all. Shows the difference when you move up a division though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Terrible stuff again a poor tyrone team.
    Goal keeping problems going on 3 years now.
    If any good comes of it then it might be that everybody will be brought back down to earth after a few games in div 1.
    Andy mc has failed to resolve certain aspects of tactics for 2 - 3 years. A decent manager would have these sorted now , its basic enough stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yep. Don’t care what ppl say, at this point, goal keeping should be sorted. Another disaster today. We’ve started where we left off.

Advertisement