Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Physical rather than cynical in my mind. Like all the great teams in history. I don't remember a Meath player dragging a player down who was clean through on goal ala Seán Cavanagh. And if the rules nowadays were applied 30 years ago, every team would get at least half their team sent off with black cards, if not red cards. Meath gave as good as they got. There were two physical teams during the Cork rivalry in the late 80s/early 90s yet Conlon blames only Meath. In the Tyrone game, he strangely fails to mention that Canavan spent the whole game pulling and dragging to try to gain an advantage. And Meath get so much crap for the fight in the 96 final replay, yet Mayo went out with the intention of roughing up our younger players that day (see the elbow to Darren Fay's face that prefaced the fight).

I've no problem with people saying that Meath, at the time, played very close to the line. What I do have a problem with is some journalistic nobody being allowed to call into question the character of a man that is almost universally liked by Meath fans and rivals while quoting deceased journalists so as to ensure that he doesn't get called up on his bullsh!t by them.

Whatever about Kerry Tyrone Cork I cant ever have sympathy for Mayo. McHale got himself sent off by getting involved in the big scrap. Likewise a few years ago when Mayo had Dublin rattled Donie Vaughan hit a Dublin player right in front of the referee. Pure stupidity in an All Ireland final.

Cork lost the finals against Meath because they just did not match them physically and mentally. Each team had very good footballers. By the time 1990 came around Cork had learnt what was needed to wrap up close games.
    Anyone that thinks Kerry are stylists of the game that dont need to do the physical stuff are in cloud cuckoo land. Deenihan Keneally any of the O Se's are well able for what Darragh calls the "manly stuff"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Edgware wrote: »
    Whatever about Kerry Tyrone Cork I cant ever have sympathy for Mayo. McHale got himself sent off by getting involved in the big scrap. Likewise a few years ago when Mayo had Dublin rattled Donie Vaughan hit a Dublin player right in front of the referee. Pure stupidity in an All Ireland final.

Cork lost the finals against Meath because they just did not match them physically and mentally. Each team had very good footballers. By the time 1990 came around Cork had learnt what was needed to wrap up close games.
    Anyone that thinks Kerry are stylists of the game that dont need to do the physical stuff are in cloud cuckoo land. Deenihan Keneally any of the O Se's are well able for what Darragh calls the "manly stuff"

Reason Meath beat Mayo one word forwards. Forwards win Sam
    Trevor Giles Graham Geraghty Tommy Dowd Evan Kelly Brendan Reilly Ollie Murphy All all stars, 14 all stars between James Horan Maurice Sherdian PJ Loftus Anthony Finnerty Colm McMemenin. Only 1 Mayo forward won All star. Who had better forwards. Mayo didnt have the forwards
    Reason Meath beat Cork one word forwards. Forwards win Sam
    Cork were heavy reliant on Tompkins. Alllen Barry was decent. But Meath had two footballers of the year in their full forward line. Greatest full forward line of last 35 years and only bettered by Egan Liston and Sheedy in the history of the game. You might stop one maybe two but never three of them. O Rourke Stafford and Flynn a world class first rate gold standard full forward line

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Are Ballinabrackey affected by the Offaly restrictions in place at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Are Ballinabrackey affected by the Offaly restrictions in place at the moment?

They'd a suspected case in the club before the weekend and shut down I'm not sure where it leaves them for games https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0806/1157671-meath-club-shuts-down-after-positive-covid-19-test/

Nobber beat Simonstown! Phenomenal result for them. Skryne under a lot of pressure now. Have a feeling we could see a surprise relegation this season with the likes of Skryne, Navan and Dunshaughlin possibly struggling.

• Advertisement

Nobber beat Simonstown! Phenomenal result for them. Skryne under a lot of pressure now. Have a feeling we could see a surprise relegation this season with the likes of Skryne, Navan and Dunshaughlin possibly struggling.

I was listening to the live commentary of O'Mahony's and NaFianna on We Are Meath. Na Fianna won handy, NOM had a few injuries in the first half and it resulted in Kevin Reilly coming on. They're relying on Stephen Bray, Niall McKeigue, Gary O'Brien and a few more still. Don't get me wrong they are all fantastic footballers but you'd worry for a senior team still relying on lads well on the wrong side of 30.

On another note Dunsany ran up 50 points, scoring 9 goals, against Drumconrath. Some trimming that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

What’s the opinion re the fitness and conditioning of club footballers in Meath? I’ve seen a few club games myself and would question it but also noted that some of the footage I’ve seen recently has really shown up some players.

Ratoath struggled but managed to make it 2 from 2 against Skryne. Skryne now need to beat Nobber if they're to avoid a relegation playoff.
    Seemed like Tones threw it away against Summerhill who are guaranteed a place in the semi final now. Curraha are, I think, guaranteed to be in the relegation playoff. Their defence looks shocking just going by the scorelines. 9-21 conceded in just two games. They look like favourites to go down.

Dunboyne IMO threw away the game against Kells. They had that many goal chances in the first 15 minutes they should have had them beat by the time the first water break came.

Kells going with 14/15 men behind the ball for the last fifteen minutes was tough to watch. The water breaks are becoming huge in games. Both times they came when Dunboyne were on top.

Have to say the commentary from Rispin and his co commentators was fairly poor compared to efforts I have seen with professionals from other counties.

Kiltale are out of the SHC after losing to Ratoath. 2020 claims another victim.

• Advertisement

WEBSITE-RD-3-FB-800x450.png
    Some amount of games on Meath GAA TV this weekend. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

WEBSITE-RD-3-FB-800x450.png
    Some amount of games on Meath GAA TV this weekend. Fair play to them.

Had the pleasure of doing Co Commentary for Curraha and Moynalvey 2 weeks ago. It was a lot of fun and the lads are doing their best to get the best stream possible. €6 a game is a steal and the discounted rate is excellent imo

dobman88 wrote: »
    Had the pleasure of doing Co Commentary for Curraha and Moynalvey 2 weeks ago. It was a lot of fun and the lads are doing their best to get the best stream possible. €6 a game is a steal and the discounted rate is excellent imo

I wouldn’t agree to be honest. I watched the Dunboyne Kells game on it. Camera positioning was poor, as was commentary - which is just a bunch of lads from podcasts.

Other counties have got in professional commentators and then current players/managers etc.

Cavan, for example, have Owen McConnon from Radio Ulster for commentary and then the pundits include Mickey Graham, Cavan manager, Donal Keoghan, ex Cavan manager, former All Star Dermot McCabe and Martin McHugh.

Games are €8 a game or weekend pass this weekend is €20.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I wouldn’t agree to be honest. I watched the Dunboyne Kells game on it. Camera positioning was poor, as was commentary - which is just a bunch of lads from podcasts.

Other counties have got in professional commentators and then current players/managers etc.

Cavan, for example, have Owen McConnon from Radio Ulster for commentary and then the pundits include Mickey Graham, Cavan manager, Donal Keoghan, ex Cavan manager, former All Star Dermot McCabe and Martin McHugh.

Games are €8 a game or weekend pass this weekend is €20.

Sure you said it yourself. Other counties have professionals doing it so that's going to make a huge difference to the overall experience. The set up for Meath is very basic, 1 camera streamed through a laptop on not so great wifi and lads helping out, like myself, who dont get a penny for it nor would I expect it as I'm happy to do it.. The lads that do it, do try their best with limited resources. Up to each county board what they're willing to spend I suppose.

I'm quite happy with the quality of the streams. There have only been very minor issues with the streams I've watched. And the commentary doesn't bother me one way or the other. If you were at the game you wouldn't be needing commentary so expert commentary isn't needed on the streams.
    I liked the camera position for the Ratoath v Nobber game on the terrace side. When it's in the stand, they're limited due to the stand itself.

I paid for Kells and Dunboyne the other week and I was glad I did. I'm not expecting a professional service when it's something that's set up relatively last minute. I think its good to have the local lads on it as they know the scene well.

Davy Rispin off We Are Meath was also doing live audio on some of the games on Mixlr. It's free over the course of the weekend I got four games in between the county board service and the audio. Long may it continue.

I'm quite happy with the quality of the streams. There have only been very minor issues with the streams I've watched. And the commentary doesn't bother me one way or the other. If you were at the game you wouldn't be needing commentary so expert commentary isn't needed on the streams.

You do need something to create a bit of atmosphere though. If you’re at the game, you have the crowd etc. When watching the stream, some form of commentary is needed.

Sure you said it yourself. Other counties have professionals doing it so that's going to make a huge difference to the overall experience. The set up for Meath is very basic, 1 camera streamed through a laptop on not so great wifi and lads helping out, like myself, who dont get a penny for it nor would I expect it as I'm happy to do it.. The lads that do it, do try their best with limited resources. Up to each county board what they're willing to spend I suppose.

The cost should reflect the quality though. My point is Meath are charging €6 per game for the above. Surely they could price it a bit lower given the limit funds they are spending.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    The cost should reflect the quality though. My point is Meath are charging €6 per game for the above. Surely they could price it a bit lower given the limit funds they are spending.

I agree with you. Your "ire", for want of a better word, should be aimed at the CB though, not the lads covering the games. It really is a basic set up, its impressive they get a stream off it at all :pac:

I agree with you. Your "ire", for want of a better word, should be aimed at the CB though, not the lads covering the games. It really is a basic set up, its impressive they get a stream off it at all :pac:

I didn’t mean any ill will towards the lads - they’re only doing what their asked. I just thought the commentary on the game I watched was poor.

They also seemed to want to give a real hard sell to the quality of the game - with it being described as the best seen in years in Tailteann!

I found the Dunboyne Kells game fairly low quality. Kells grabbed their goals and then stuck 15 men behind the ball. It was the sort of performance you’d see people giving out about an Ulster team doing.

• Advertisement

Donaghmore/Ashbourne disappoint again. They were absolutely awful against Na Fianna. Na Fianna were equally bad in the first half but improved immeasurably in the second to qualify. Nonetheless, I'd be very surprised if Kells don't finally make the final.
    NOM came from 6 down in the second half against Seneschalstown to win by 3 and avoid the relegation playoff. Seneschalstown now play Dunshaughlin in the relegation playoff semi final.

Walterstown threw it away against Michael's in their IFC winner takes all game. They were 6 up at two separate stages in the second half and gave away two soft goals and ended up losing by 3.
    Pat's amazingly are in the relegation playoff after losing to Moylagh. Definitely didn't expect that. They should be more than good enough to survive though.
    Trim made the knockout stages of the IFC as expected with Drumbaragh going to the relegation playoff.

Ballivor are likely to be favourites for the junior championship after they beat Carnaross. Carnaross free taker had a horrible game. Missed a good few easy frees, got a second yellow card for shouldering someone in the chest off the ball and then flattened someone after his red card.

Donaghmore/Ashbourne disappoint again. They were absolutely awful against Na Fianna. Na Fianna were equally bad in the first half but improved immeasurably in the second to qualify. Nonetheless, I'd be very surprised if Kells don't finally make the final.
    NOM came from 6 down in the second half against Seneschalstown to win by 3 and avoid the relegation playoff. Seneschalstown now play Dunshaughlin in the relegation playoff semi final.

Walterstown threw it away against Michael's in their IFC winner takes all game. They were 6 up at two separate stages in the second half and gave away two soft goals and ended up losing by 3.
    Pat's amazingly are in the relegation playoff after losing to Moylagh. Definitely didn't expect that. They should be more than good enough to survive though.
    Trim made the knockout stages of the IFC as expected with Drumbaragh going to the relegation playoff.

Ballivor are likely to be favourites for the junior championship after they beat Carnaross. Carnaross free taker had a horrible game. Missed a good few easy frees, got a second yellow card for shouldering someone in the chest off the ball and then flattened someone after his red card.

Wouldn't count your chickens on the Pats just yet. Obviously I didn't get in today and I missed the Walterstown game because it clashed with one for my young lad. Having watched them against Michaels and spoke to others it wouldn't shock me to see us down again. The lads managing are doing the best they can but they have little or no inside help and they have the team set up wrong. Add that to not being in the habit of winning and I'm really concerned. It might all depend on the draw though

rpurfield wrote: »
    Wouldn't count your chickens on the Pats just yet. Obviously I didn't get in today and I missed the Walterstown game because it clashed with one for my young lad. Having watched them against Michaels and spoke to others it wouldn't shock me to see us down again. The lads managing are doing the best they can but they have little or no inside help and they have the team set up wrong. Add that to not being in the habit of winning and I'm really concerned. It might all depend on the draw though
    Understand the apprehension, but I can't see the likes of Castletown or Drumbaragh beating them. Also, what on earth has happened to Oldcastle? Semi finalists three years running and they finish with a 24 point loss to Ballinabrackey. They could be surprise contenders to go down.

Dreadful game between Ratoath and Simonstown. Simonstown went 6 points to no score up after 12 minutes but only managed 4 points thereafter. Ratoath weren't much better and kicked some horrible wides. Seem to be missing the two Wallace badly. If Brian McMahon is shackled, we find it very difficult to get scores against a tight defence. Delighted we got over the line as it was a fantastic game to win while playing poorly, but Summerhill will be raring for revenge in the semi final.

Here are the semi final draws as far as I can see :
    SFC
    Ratoath v Summerhill
    Gaeil Colmcille v Na Fianna

IFC
    Clann na nGael/Ballinabrackey v St. Michael's
    Trim v Kilmainham

JFC
    Ballivor v St. Ultan's
    Dunsany v St. Vincent's

Relegation playoffs are:

SFC
    Curraha v Nobber
    Dunshaughlin v Seneschalstown

IFC
    Oldcastle/Ballinlough v St. Pat's
    Drumbaragh v Castletown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Ashbourne resident but born and played for Clann na nGael (Athboy) in my youth, hurling mostly.
    Have to say I am delighted that they have gotten through to an Intermediate quarter final, I am 48 and can never remember them getting to this high a level of football before. Maybe someone with a better knowledge of Meath club football would know more on this?
    Sad to see my adopted town of Ashbourne going out of the championship again, they seem to be the Mayo of Meath football for the last couple of decades.
    Wish for the huge population they have they would put a bit of effort and resources into a long term hurling investment at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

Ashbourne resident but born and played for Clann na nGael (Athboy) in my youth, hurling mostly.
    Have to say I am delighted that they have gotten through to an Intermediate quarter final, I am 48 and can never remember them getting to this high a level of football before. Maybe someone with a better knowledge of Meath club football would know more on this?
    Sad to see my adopted town of Ashbourne going out of the championship again, they seem to be the Mayo of Meath football for the last couple of decades.
    Wish for the huge population they have they would put a bit of effort and resources into a long term hurling investment at the club.
    Clan na gael got to the 2013 final loosing out to kells

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

poppers wrote: »
    Clan na gael got to the 2013 final loosing out to kells

Cheers poppers, never knew they got that far in the Intermediate grade, would follow the hurlers a lot more to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Anyone any idea what happened the Kilmainham-Castletown game in the IFC? I don't see any result for it.

It was a dead rubber in any case so easily cancelled, but I can't see any notice or news of it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

Anyone any idea what happened the Kilmainham-Castletown game in the IFC? I don't see any result for it.

It was a dead rubber in any case so easily cancelled, but I can't see any notice or news of it anywhere.

Postponed due to a death in Kilmainham

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Think there was a bereavement and the game was postponed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

what on earth has happened to Oldcastle? Semi finalists three years running and they finish with a 24 point loss to Ballinabrackey. They could be surprise contenders to go down.

I think this just about sums up Intermediate football in Meath. You see it all the time. Look at Castletown last year, I think they were without a doubt the best intermediate club in the county. They have Nobber beaten in the semis, they were something like 7 up, a man up and had a penalty saved before HT. Ended up falling apart and were beaten in extra time.

12 months later, on the brink of relegation. They'll probably survive, but it seems to happen a lot this sort of thing. Oldcastle to go down for me.

Advertisement