Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!
    YOU LUCKY, BEAUTIFUL BASTARDS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Is the hurling final next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Just watched the last few minutes of that county final and it was crazy!

Penalty and a last gasp goal!! Great to watch as a neutral!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Yes the lads!!! Amazing result. Congrats Ratoath GAA! Now to do the double next weekend. Hard luck to Gaeil Colmcille

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Just watched the last few minutes of that county final and it was crazy!

Penalty and a last gasp goal!! Great to watch as a neutral!!

Exactly what you want to see as a neutral. A great game of attacking football despite the conditions. And a load of drama as an added bonus.

Enjoy celebrations Hammer

• Advertisement

Thought ratoath were sloppy throughout the match. Had a couple of goal opertunities in the first half that they didn't take. They were lucky at the end.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Thought ratoath were sloppy throughout the match. Had a couple of goal opertunities in the first half that they didn't take. They were lucky at the end.
    110%
    We stole that. Our performance was typified by the Kells penalty. Nothing ball that should have been dealt with easily but caused mayhem.
    I genuinely feel for Kells but not enough to stop me celebrating like a mad man. I'd rather be lucky than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

dobman88 wrote: »
    Exactly what you want to see as a neutral. A great game of attacking football despite the conditions. And a load of drama as an added bonus.

Enjoy celebrations Hammer

What game were you watching exactly? I thought it was a very poor game. Kells’ biggest threat in the first half Mattimoe spent most of his time in the second half back around midfield.

They went with negative football far too quickly and were caught out in the end by a nothing high ball that their backline should be dealing with. Instead, they left the opposition’s best player standing unmarked in the square.

Wallace head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. Fantastic performance.

I am delighted to see Ratoath win as I live in ratoath but I was expecting a bit more. Conditions didn't help. Congratulations to ratoath I expect I will be hearing the horns later. Still quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Congratulations Ratoath. Hopefully they celebrate like mad all week and forget about the hurling final next weekend:)

I thought the Kells guy that kicked the ball out for the sideline that resulted in the Ratoath goal probably cost them the game. He could have at least tried to get the ball in his hand or to another Kells player. He allowed them to setup the last gasp winner.

It's so heartbreaking to lose at the death like that.

• Advertisement

dixiefly wrote: »
    Congratulations Ratoath. Hopefully they celebrate like mad all week and forget about the hurling final next weekend:)

I thought the Kells guy that kicked the ball out for the sideline that resulted in the Ratoath goal probably cost them the game. He could have at least tried to get the ball in his hand or to another Kells player. He allowed them to setup the last gasp winner.

It's so heartbreaking to lose at the death like that.

It was one of the Tormey twins. He had plenty of time and space to lift it so unless he thought time was up and it’d be blown up if he kicked it. Made no sense what he did otherwise.

Ballivor, as expected, won the Junior championship. Vincent's did well against the breeze in the first half and were only 2 down but they just don't have the forwards to do enough damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Great to see our neighbours in Ratoath do the business :-)

Mad finish. And fair play to TG4. They picked another two thrillers today.

Regarding Castletown's relegation, I heard on LMFM that this will be the first time that they will be at Junior level in history. That's an incredible run to be fair to them and the fact that they probably should have made the intermediate final the year before goes to show how much form can swing year on year at intermediate. Longwood were in a relegation playoff in 2017 and ended up winning the championship the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I was over the the game in Donore Saturday night, Castletown really should have bet us. Seven minutes into the second half they were six up, and we're notorious for not being great at getting big scores. They faded out after that and we kicked on, the penalty turning the game. A couple of positional switches at half time and early in the second half helped too. So did the more direct running which is what the penalty, the second goal and a few points came off. I'm just glad we stayed up as we should have a few minors coming through now in the next year or two, the 15's are decent and this years 13s are excellent. I know the last two are a bit away! Just glad to stay out of junior because I know from the 90s getting out of a grade isn't easy, took us five finals in 10 years to do it at Inter.

I have to say I thought the IFC and SFC finals were really good quality. The Bracks were really good value for the win, though Trim will feel hard done by. Same in the SFC, Kells really should have put it to bed. Mattimoe was excellent first half especially. Its actually scary the depth of talent Ratoath have. Listening to We Are Meath's preview during the week I think it was Con Cleary that said if Ratoath won yesterday they might string a few together, and I'd agree with him.

Given the conditions yesterday I think the game was a really good standard. I watched the JFC before it and it wasn't a great game, lads spilling ball and all which was understandable given the conditions. I thought it might turn the senior game into the same, so given the conditions it was a good game to watch.

Hopefully that stops the rot for Pat's. Like you mentioned earlier in the year, they're in the habit of losing. Looking back at previous seasons, Pat's haven't won a non-relegation playoff game in the championship since 2017. Hopefully next season ye can build a decent foundation in intermediate and get the winning habit back.

Shane Duffy hanging up his gloves for Ratoath. That's a big opportunity for the rest of the pack. His kickouts alone were a huge asset for us over the last number of seasons.

Hurling final obviously going to be delayed with the GAA's decision. Anything to stop us doing the double :pac:

Yeah to be honest I hope we get a group that isn't the hardest as a confidence builder. Having said all that I had the Moylagh game marked for a win this year, especially after we ran Michael's so close and really should've won that. :o

Joey Wallace on the GAA hour was interesting

Brutally honest alright. Parkinson was practically salivating at getting the gossip. It is good that he, more or less, put it behind him to play once the athletics season finished and obviously didn't hold any grudges against the current management or players. No commitment for next year though.

Related to the podcast, its infuriating how many people don't understand the square ball rule.

Brutally honest alright. Parkinson was practically salivating at getting the gossip. It is good that he, more or less, put it behind him to play once the athletics season finished and obviously didn't hold any grudges against the current management or players. No commitment for next year though.

Related to the podcast, its infuriating how many people don't understand the square ball rule.

Unfollowed one of our former county players who is prominent in the media as a pundit on Twitter over this on Sunday. He tweeted something along the lines of does anybody even know what the square ball rule is now? It's really not that hard to go look in the official guide especially when you have a gig commenting on games and up to recently managing a senior club team!

• Advertisement

rpurfield wrote: »
    Unfollowed one of our former county players who is prominent in the media as a pundit on Twitter over this on Sunday. He tweeted something along the lines of does anybody even know what the square ball rule is now? It's really not that hard to go look in the official guide especially when you have a gig commenting on games and up to recently managing a senior club team!
    Ha I think I know who you're talking about. A prominent county referee called him out as well.

Ha I think I know who you're talking about. A prominent county referee called him out as well.

Just had a look. The initial Tweet was even worse, it was "does the square ball exist anymore" :rolleyes:

Cavan recently played Meath in a challenge. Anyone know anything about it? Teams?

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Cavan recently played Meath in a challenge. Anyone know anything about it? Teams?

Small reference to it on We Are Meath, didn't give the result but from what they said it was a tough game. Didn't give teams either but did say Cian McBride got 15 minutes for Meath. They might reference it more in their preview podcast if they do I'll up this!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jimmy1672

rpurfield wrote: »
    Small reference to it on We Are Meath, didn't give the result but from what they said it was a tough game. Didn't give teams either but did say Cian McBride got 15 minutes for Meath. They might reference it more in their preview podcast if they do I'll up this!

Cian McBride appears to be on the panel alright.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40063202.html

Is there not some rule that you can't play for the county team if you haven't represented your club that year? It was one of the reasons Joey Wallace gave last week for returning to the Ratoath panel.

It was previously an issue for Gary Rogers and Mairtin Doran playing for Meath and I think the same reason why Seanie Johnston made a cameo club hurling appearance in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

It looks like Mickey Newman is retired from inter county with hip injury. A loss. Our two best years in recent years were 2013 and 2019. The only years Mickey Newman was available, basically full fit from injury. In 2013 he was very good in his debut year and got nominated for all star. 2014 2015 2016 2017, he suffered injuries every year and missed most league campaigns and was struggling with injuries. In 2018 took year off to get injuries sorted, came back as full forward last year, a kind of target man at times, hes more an inside forward. He was 4th top scorer in last years championship. Destroyed Donegal in league final in first half and was man of the match in our biggest game of the year v Clare where he scored 1 - 5. Very popular in the panel and he is an important player, a very good natural freetaker and he is a poacher finisher corner forward, a player who waits for break and good eye for goal. Had a good season for us last year leading the line. But with out and out target man full forward S Walsh I think that would have got the best out of Newman. Was looking forward to see him starting him with D Lenihan and S Walsh in full forward line this year. Thats our best full forward line, but its look like now they will never play with each other. Mickey Newman and lenihan have only started one game for Meath even though best inside forwards we have had in recent years.

Its means Shane Walsh will start v Dublin with I think with Thomas Reilly who was very good in early parts of league. With Lenihan Joey Wallace and James Conlon fighting for last place. I think Lenihan Walsh O Reilly will start our best option with J Wallace and J Conlon as impact subs. And young players like Jordan Morris and Jack O Connor as options of the bench with maybe Mark Sullivan. S Mattimoe would be worth looking at he had a great championship.

jimmy1672 wrote: »
    Cian McBride appears to be on the panel alright.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40063202.html

Is there not some rule that you can't play for the county team if you haven't represented your club that year? It was one of the reasons Joey Wallace gave last week for returning to the Ratoath panel.

It was previously an issue for Gary Rogers and Mairtin Doran playing for Meath and I think the same reason why Seanie Johnston made a cameo club hurling appearance in Kildare.

Cavan game was a rough tough game by all accounts. A proper tough local derby. Ronan Ryan played full back. It looks like he could start there. As McGill and Rataoth lads are probaly not available. Lavin Ryan Toner full back line as Gallagher is injured and lavin Ryan Toner started v Cavan. Conlon was at centre back v Cavan I expect him to keep hid place as Harnan was injured. Brennan started in goals in first half and Colgan in.second I think Colgan with start. No sign of J McEntee.

S McEntee was at midfield with Brian Menton with Ronan Jones Ethan Devine on 40. I think we will see that v Dubs with Menton B Conlon Jones Devine and McBride of bench giving us options for kickout, gives us real physicality which we lacked at centre field for years. I can see Jones Menton at midfield with Shane McEntee playing a more defensive role maybe come back sweeping up at times in the defence.
    Mark Sullivan Moynalvey called up Cillians brother. Played in 2011 v kildare as wing back in championship. He has played very little since. Had a good year at full forward for Moynalvey. Could be worth looking at. And Duggie Dillon fron Navan O Mahoney also called up, half forward. Cian McBride could be option from the bench. He came off the bench v Cavan.

Mickey Newman is having an operation on hip, hes gone for this year, maybe if he can get full fitness, maybe he might return. But he is another of Meath player career ended possibly early with injury. Conor Gillespie and Shane O Rourke retired at 27 because of injury. Alan Forde has never comeback to county team after doing his cruciate in 2017. David Bray did his cruciate twice and also retired early, so did Kevin Reilly retire early with alot of injury problems. If we had Conor Gillespie, Shane O Rourke and throw in Conor Nash in last few years we would have had some serious midfield. Its area we lack high fielders and big strong players with athleticism for year.

Ardcath with a massive covid outbreak in the GAA team after the Junior final. Disappointing to see they weren't more responsible after losing, going on the pìss instead of going home. One of the reasons the GAA pulled the plug on club games was antics like that.

• Advertisement

Similar happening in Ratoath. A load of cases all connected to what went on after the championship final.

Advertisement