Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I've heard the rumours with Ratoath but no idea if they're true to be honest. But the spike in the area (and the Kells area) did beginbefore the final. I also know a fair few people positive in the are who had no contact whatsoever with anyone connected with the final.

If the rumours are true, then it's absolutely moronic. But these sorts of rumours can run out of control on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

South Meath in particular hasn't been great the last couple of weeks. I haven't heard if it was to do with after match celebrations, I had put it down to being on the border with Dublin and the amount of people commuting across etc.

I had seen Ratoath had put a complete halt to all activites during the week and I think I seen another club doing similar. I wonder if a stop will be put to everything now given the announcements last night. My three lads are all still training but it's as much to get them out as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I've heard the rumours with Ratoath but no idea if they're true to be honest. But the spike in the area (and the Kells area) did beginbefore the final. I also know a fair few people positive in the are who had no contact whatsoever with anyone connected with the final.

If the rumours are true, then it's absolutely moronic. But these sorts of rumours can run out of control on social media.

The rumours are true unfortunately. Every other club in the area have now shut their doors as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

What channel is the Meath vs Dublin game on tomorrow? I heard it was being televised but RTE have Armagh vs Roscommon on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Cavan_King wrote: »
    What channel is the Meath vs Dublin game on tomorrow? I heard it was being televised but RTE have Armagh vs Roscommon on.

Eir Sport

• Advertisement

Is anyone really bothered about tomorrow's game? Is there any word even on anyone new in the squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Is anyone really bothered about tomorrow's game? Is there any word even on anyone new in the squad?

Great to see Moynalveys Mark O Sullivan in there. I'm not sure if he has been in there recently but he was top class in club championship this year and will bring the physicality that I think Meath are lacking. I still cant see them getting to within 10/12 points of Dublin but go out and hopefully play well and limit the damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Team announced at 6am in the morning.
    Fergal Lynch on twitter says "expect plenty of changes, a few surprises and a couple of debuts..."

Mickey Newman is out for the rest of the year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Obrieski wrote: »
    Team announced at 6am in the morning.
    Fergal Lynch on twitter says "expect plenty of changes, a few surprises and a couple of debuts..."

What’s the logic in announcing a team at 6am on a Saturday morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I'm interested in it but not interested enough to get Eir Sports in. I will probably pay the €5 for the minor game, might be a better watch tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

havent missed a meath chapionship game since 2007, not bothered at all if i see the game tomorrow, same as i wasnt bothered not seeing the cavan game last week, its pretty much a challenge match, farcical. will watch for minor result though

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Cavan game was a rough tough game by all accounts. A proper tough local derby. Ronan Ryan played full back. It looks like he could start there. As McGill and Rataoth lads are probaly not available. Lavin Ryan Toner full back line as Gallagher is injured and lavin Ryan Toner started v Cavan. Conlon was at centre back v Cavan I expect him to keep hid place as Harnan was injured. Brennan started in goals in first half and Colgan in.second I think Colgan with start. No sign of J McEntee.

S McEntee was at midfield with Brian Menton with Ronan Jones Ethan Devine on 40. I think we will see that v Dubs with Menton B Conlon Jones Devine and McBride of bench giving us options for kickout, gives us real physicality which we lacked at centre field for years. I can see Jones Menton at midfield with Shane McEntee playing a more defensive role maybe come back sweeping up at times in the defence.
    Mark Sullivan Moynalvey called up Cillians brother. Played in 2011 v kildare as wing back in championship. He has played very little since. Had a good year at full forward for Moynalvey. Could be worth looking at. And Duggie Dillon fron Navan O Mahoney also called up, half forward. Cian McBride could be option from the bench. He came off the bench v Cavan.

I heard game was feisty and Cavan won. Do you know any of the Cavan players that played?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I heard game was feisty and Cavan won. Do you know any of the Cavan players that played?

No sorry just the Meath players , sorry about that. I t was a proper Meath Cavan local GAA derby game, definately not a friendly challenge game. Cavan have a good team, two years in div 1, good shrewd maanger, with all those under 21 Ulster winning footballers. For me personally I have felt there was an Ulster title in these Cavan footballers. I think it would be a miss opportunity if this generation of Cavan footballers didnt win Ulster. I know Ulsteris tough, but its not as competitive as say early 90s or the 00s. Armagh Derry and Down have issues all of them have been in div 3 even 4 recently. Monaghan have been brillant but its is aging team. Its really Donegal and Tyrone. Thiis Tyrone team I would rate the 80s team, 90 Tyrone team and of course the 00s Tyrone team much better. Donegal are young and talented with good mangement team but are still on reliant on Murphy and still havent reaached All Ireland semi final since McGuiness left in 2014 even though they dominate Ulster. I have feeling McGuinness will come back and under him they will win Sam. I think Cavan are good enough to Ulster and there is a chance for them. Anyway thats just my point of view.

Meath (FL v Dublin) - Andrew Colgan, Eoin Harkin, Seamus Lavin, David Toner; Brían Conlon, Shane McEntee, Donal Keogan; Bryan Menton, Ronan Jones; Ethan Devine, Cillian O'Sullivan, Jason Scully; Thomas O’Reilly, Donal Lenihan, Barry Dardis.

Team picked a real strange one. McGill is missing and seems rest of Rataoth lads I think thats expected, but McGill a massive loss one of the best full backs in the country. Harkin is unproven, Shane Gallagher and Ronan Ryan are proven county players and good defenders, they must injured. No James McEntee or Harnan also must be injured. For me McGill Ryan Gallagher Harnan J McEntee are first choice defenders. What Gavin McCoy or Niall kane also options and Robin Clarke another option at the back. Midfield is good with Jones and Menton. Half forwards expected but with McMahon gone very surprised Campion not starting or even Costello. And big surprise Shane Walsh not starting. Looking at that team Conor McGill Shane Gallagher James McEntee Ronan Ryan Byran McMahon Paraig Harnan Two Wallaces Shane Walsh and Mickey Newman are missing thats 8 first teams players. Injuries, players in close contact, maybe a dummy team if not thats the most experimental side McEntee has picked since 2018. Maybe its a dummy team, I dont think one or two might not start. Very surprised by the team selection of Harkin Scully and Dardis is out of the blue. I dont think many would have had them starting and probaly not on the match day panel.

That team has 8 changes to the team that played Meath last game in the league this year. That team has 9 changes to the team that started v Dublin in last years leinster final. We had settled team last year. I am genuinely puzzled by this selection.

The Dublin forwards told Bernard Flynn and journalist that Meath defenders they faced in last years leinster final were the toughest they faced in the last few years. Meath have issues upfront. Every team in div 1 have better forwards but Meath are good at the back. Kept Dublin to lowest score in championship in first half since 2011 Donegal semi final.
    Lavin McGill Gallagher and Koeghan were outstanding v Callaghan and co up to 53rd min, then game was up. Meath kept Mannion Callagghan Kilkenny and Costello to 2 points from play up to 53rd min. Kilkenny was very quite on Keoghnan. Meath forwards were awful Meath lack quality upfront. But Dublin forwards Callaghan and kilkenny and Mannion did tell Bernard Flynn that they best defenders they faced in the last few years were Meath, McGill and keoghan are two top class defenders. McGill Koeghan Gallagher Lavin were excellent one on one defending you dont seem much anymore. Why Meath were promoted and reached super 8 last year was because of the defence . The Defence that played v Dublin last year 4 are missing today in Conor McGill Padraig Harnan Shane Gallagher and James McEntee. I would be expecting the worst after seen that team picked for today.

When was the last time a Dunsany player played competitively with Meath?
    Think its going to be another tanking.

No sorry just the Meath players , sorry about that. I t was a proper Meath Cavan local GAA derby game, definately not a friendly challenge game. Cavan have a good team, two years in div 1, good shrewd maanger, with all those under 21 Ulster winning footballers. For me personally I have felt there was an Ulster title in these Cavan footballers. I think it would be a miss opportunity if this generation of Cavan footballers didnt win Ulster. I know Ulsteris tough, but its not as competitive as say early 90s or the 00s. Armagh Derry and Down have issues all of them have been in div 3 even 4 recently. Monaghan have been brillant but its is aging team. Its really Donegal and Tyrone. Thiis Tyrone team I would rate the 80s team, 90 Tyrone team and of course the 00s Tyrone team much better. Donegal are young and talented with good mangement team but are still on reliant on Murphy and still havent reaached All Ireland semi final since McGuiness left in 2014 even though they dominate Ulster. I have feeling McGuinness will come back and under him they will win Sam. I think Cavan are good enough to Ulster and there is a chance for them. Anyway thats just my point of view.

Donegal and Tyrone have always been ahead of this Cavan team unfortunately. We got a tanking off both last year and a few players really lost heart and left the panel.

We’re now in another rebuilding phase unfortunately as we lost three of our best players - Moynagh & McVeety (travelling) & Clarke (year out).

What a result for the minors. Beating Dublin 1-15 to 0-7. Westmeath in the next round.

Meath (FL v Dublin) - Andrew Colgan, Eoin Harkin, Seamus Lavin, David Toner; Brían Conlon, Shane McEntee, Donal Keogan; Bryan Menton, Ronan Jones; Ethan Devine, Cillian O'Sullivan, Jason Scully; Thomas O’Reilly, Donal Lenihan, Barry Dardis.

Team picked a real strange one. McGill is missing and seems rest of Rataoth lads I think thats expected, but McGill a massive loss one of the best full backs in the country. Harkin is unproven, Shane Gallagher and Ronan Ryan are proven county players and good defenders, they must injured. No James McEntee or Harnan also must be injured. For me McGill Ryan Gallagher Harnan J McEntee are first choice defenders. What Gavin McCoy or Niall kane also options and Robin Clarke another option at the back. Midfield is good with Jones and Menton. Half forwards expected but with McMahon gone very surprised Campion not starting or even Costello. And big surprise Shane Walsh not starting. Looking at that team Conor McGill Shane Gallagher James McEntee Ronan Ryan Byran McMahon Paraig Harnan Two Wallaces Shane Walsh and Mickey Newman are missing thats 8 first teams players. Injuries, players in close contact, maybe a dummy team if not thats the most experimental side McEntee has picked since 2018. Maybe its a dummy team, I dont think one or two might not start. Very surprised by the team selection of Harkin Scully and Dardis is out of the blue. I dont think many would have had them starting and probaly not on the match day panel.

That team has 8 changes to the team that played Meath last game in the league this year. That team has 9 changes to the team that started v Dublin in last years leinster final. We had settled team last year. I am genuinely puzzled by this selection.

The Dublin forwards told Bernard Flynn and journalist that Meath defenders they faced in last years leinster final were the toughest they faced in the last few years. Meath have issues upfront. Every team in div 1 have better forwards but Meath are good at the back. Kept Dublin to lowest score in championship in first half since 2011 Donegal semi final.
    Lavin McGill Gallagher and Koeghan were outstanding v Callaghan and co up to 53rd min, then game was up. Meath kept Mannion Callagghan Kilkenny and Costello to 2 points from play up to 53rd min. Kilkenny was very quite on Keoghnan. Meath forwards were awful Meath lack quality upfront. But Dublin forwards Callaghan and kilkenny and Mannion did tell Bernard Flynn that they best defenders they faced in the last few years were Meath, McGill and keoghan are two top class defenders. McGill Koeghan Gallagher Lavin were excellent one on one defending you dont seem much anymore. Why Meath were promoted and reached super 8 last year was because of the defence . The Defence that played v Dublin last year 4 are missing today in Conor McGill Padraig Harnan Shane Gallagher and James McEntee. I would be expecting the worst after seen that team picked for today.

I’m hearing Cavan are missing up to one third of their panel tomorrow for the trip to Kildare. Meath May be in a similar situation. Even players that don’t have Covid themselves may be in isolation.

This is painful. Players don't look bothered. Hard to blame them.

• Advertisement

Done well after the water break. When Cluxton nails his kickouts, they seem to walk through us. Walsh is a brilliant player and O'Sullivan and Keogan have done excellent.
    Harkins point from corner back was the score of the half.

Not expecting much in the second half but they've done well to claw it back a bit.
    Third replay of the 1991 saga is on Eir Sport after the game.

Is the standard of goalkeeper in Meath just abnormally bad compared to the rest of the country. Brennan wouldnt look out of place on a junior B team and he starts for the county :eek:

How on earth is Small still on the field???

dobman88 wrote: »
    Is the standard of goalkeeper in Meath just abnormally bad compared to the rest of the country. Brennan wouldnt look out of place on a junior B team and he starts for the county :eek:
    I think Shane Geraghty from Na Fianna would be one of the best keepers in the county but isn't able to commit to the county side. Beakely from Cilles would be another good keeper but not sure if he has been given the call yet.

How on earth is Small still on the field???

Combination of big teams get the decisions and refs bottling it. If a Meath man does the same he probably walks for it

I think Shane Geraghty from Na Fianna would be one of the best keepers in the county but isn't able to commit to the county side. Beakely from Cilles would be another good keeper but not sure if he has been given the call yet.

Interesting you mention Geraghty. He is being coached by a man from my home club in Kerry but who now lives in Enfield. Played Siegerson on the same team as Padraic Joyce and Jim McGuinness, Kerry minor and U21, East Kerry senior and was on a couple of Kerry panels but never made the step up to county. He would be a man with a world of experience though and a great coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

We are in this bizaare phase of having lost 9 consecutive matches (Must be close to some sort of record) but my net emotions curve as plotted on a graph is probably on a steady but not steep upward swing.

With regards to tonights match - felt dublin probably had an extra couple of gears to go through. We got beat in last years Leinster SFC final by 16. I think we might have pulled the both teams full pelt differential back to around 10 or so. Still a fair bit to go. We despertaly need a goal keeper. I think that's our number one (excuse the pun) weakness.

Delighted with the performance with 7 first team players missing eg McGill Lavin Gallagher Harnan McMahon Wallace Newman . Thats the closest any leinster team has got to Dubs in league of championship in 7 years, since 2013 leinster final when Meath lost by 7 points to Dubs.

While it was an encouraging performance, it was the type of game where I just never got the feeling we were ever going to win.
    Nevertheless, 19 points with all the players we were missing is a good return. If we can get our defence back to full strength and have a similar performance up front, we can certainly make the Leinster final and possibly give a better account of ourselves.

• Advertisement

Re a goalkeeper, what about Corcoran that plays for Drumbaragh and was in England with a soccer club? Think it may have been Preston. I know he’s playing LOI with Dundalk I think but could Meath not approach him for a goalkeeping position?

Advertisement