Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

The minor match was a great display yesterday. The squeeze put on the Dublin kickouts made the keeper lose his head and it was the winning of the match by so much. It was interesting to see the lads on the minor team look like they have had the benefit of plenty of S&C work, one of the biggest minor teams I've seen in a while. Eoghan Frayne was excellent full forward, he's a real talent.

The senior match went better than expected. My only concern was a lot of it was off the pace of a good championship encounter. It's really hard to judge where both teams are at given they are only back. Having said that with a bit of composure Meath should've won. There was three really good goal chances wasted. I also found it interesting that we picked Cluxton's kick outs apart a fair bit. Maybe like I've said it was down to him only being back, but better teams will make hay if it stays like that. If we can get to a Leinster final and at least be that close again it would be a decent championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Checking the fixtures today and we're in the AI Minor B Hurling Championship Semi Final. Normally a good thing, but I see the other 3 teams are Louth Wicklow and Down and it seems this is also the first round.

Now no offence to those 3 teams but am I remembering wrong or did this competition used to be a lot stronger? 15(-ish) years ago I was a fringe panelist on a Meath minor hurling team and the competition included Kerry, Westmeath, Carlow, Kildare etc. Even counties like Derry, Roscommon and Mayo have had the odd decent team over the years but aren't in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Checking the fixtures today and we're in the AI Minor B Hurling Championship Semi Final. Normally a good thing, but I see the other 3 teams are Louth Wicklow and Down and it seems this is also the first round.

Now no offence to those 3 teams but am I remembering wrong or did this competition used to be a lot stronger? 15(-ish) years ago I was a fringe panelist on a Meath minor hurling team and the competition included Kerry, Westmeath, Carlow, Kildare etc. Even counties like Derry, Roscommon and Mayo have had the odd decent team over the years but aren't in it.

Your right. I won an All Ireland B medal at u-16 about 30 years ago and we had to play Westmeath, Kerry in the quarters and Kildare in the semi's.
    We then played Wicklow in the final and not sure who they played in their half of the draw but the final was the easiest game of the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Re a goalkeeper, what about Corcoran that plays for Drumbaragh and was in England with a soccer club? Think it may have been Preston. I know he’s playing LOI with Dundalk I think but could Meath not approach him for a goalkeeping position?

Sounds like he would be a good option.

Is he playing much with Dundalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

dixiefly wrote: »
    Sounds like he would be a good option.

Is he playing much with Dundalk?

No. Gary Rodgers has the number one spot sewn up and a lad called Aaron McCarey is the back up keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

We used to be in the Leinster minor hurling championship not too long ago if I remember correctly. We'd be in the preliminary rounds and then once we got knocked out, we'd be in the B championship against the likes of Kildare and Westmeath. Having said that, I remember us beating Sligo by something like 60 points in the B championship a few years ago.
    Kildare were in the Leinster championship last weekend but we weren't. Are our minors nowhere close to the same quality this year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Regarding Corcoran, is he on any sort of a professional contract? If so, whatever about playing with Drumbaragh (Dinny Corcoran was allowed by Bohs to play for Donabate), I'd doubt they'd allow him be involved with Meath with the extra training and injury risks involved.
    He'd be a decent shout otherwise. Pluck from Ballinabrackey would be another one.

We used to be in the Leinster minor hurling championship not too long ago if I remember correctly. We'd be in the preliminary rounds and then once we got knocked out, we'd be in the B championship against the likes of Kildare and Westmeath. Having said that, I remember us beating Sligo by something like 60 points in the B championship a few years ago.
    Kildare were in the Leinster championship last weekend but we weren't. Are our minors nowhere close to the same quality this year?

Now that you mention we're not in Leinster I'd say the answer is that teams could only partake in one championship since they run concurrently. Meath presumably chose the B competition.

While it could well be an easier level for a weak team, It doesn't look great to be the only county in the Joe McDonagh to play in the B grade at minor. Even Kildare and Offaly, 2 Christy Ring teams, are in the A competition.

Still doesn't explain where the rest of Ulster, plus Roscommon and Mayo are...maybe they just didn't field this year.

I just read this morning the Government have clarified only the senior championship can go ahead at level 5. That's an awful kick in the teeth for the minor lads after building up for May, getting held off and then finally putting in such a good display. I hope sense prevails and the competition is finished when we get out of level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

rpurfield wrote: »
    I just read this morning the Government have clarified only the senior championship can go ahead at level 5. That's an awful kick in the teeth for the minor lads after building up for May, getting held off and then finally putting in such a good display. I hope sense prevails and the competition is finished when we get out of level 5.

Totally makes sense though. I've seen suggestions that it revert back to u18 next year and scrap this years one.

• Advertisement

Totally makes sense though. I've seen suggestions that it revert back to u18 next year and scrap this years one.

A one-off U18 and U21 next year seems fairest alright. Ideally as early as possible. Must be a nightmare for players and management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Regarding Corcoran, is he on any sort of a professional contract? If so, whatever about playing with Drumbaragh (Dinny Corcoran was allowed by Bohs to play for Donabate), I'd doubt they'd allow him be involved with Meath with the extra training and injury risks involved.
    He'd be a decent shout otherwise. Pluck from Ballinabrackey would be another one.

On a professional contract with Dundalk:

https://www.dundalkfc.com/corcoran-enjoying-some-home-comforts-at-dundalk/

He’s been playing outfield for Drumbaragh. I believe he arrived late for one game due to soccer commitments and scored 1-2 or 1-3 in only a half of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The Monaghan game on Sunday is live on TG4's YouTube page, with deferred coverage of the game after on the main channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

NufcNavan wrote: »
    The Monaghan game on Sunday is live on TG4's YouTube page, with deferred coverage of the game after on the main channel.

Does anyone know if I'll be able to view this on TG4's YouTube page in the UK(London)?

pipelaser wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I'll be able to view this on TG4's YouTube page in the UK(London)?

Yes, YouTube isnt geo blocked.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yes, YouTube isnt geo blocked.

Doesnt appear to be working! Does anyone have a link?

pipelaser wrote: »
    Doesnt appear to be working! Does anyone have a link?

This is the YouTube link. If it doesn't work for you, they must have it blocked. Monaghan winning as expected anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIKCB4CsPow

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

How did we not score that 2nd goal? Worst miss I've seen in a while

How did we not score that 2nd goal? Worst miss I've seen in a while

Would it have been ruled out for square ball maybe? I thought that was the reason he stopped running after the dummy pass, he was inside the small square by the time the ball came in. Giving the benefit of the doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

Thanks for the link dobman, good battling qualities with us nowadays, we deserved that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Great to see a bit of fight in them so far this year and definitely improved in taking our chances.

Just watching the game on TG4. Ronan Jones is fantastic.

Was that Menton goal not a square ball? Looked to me that he was standing in the square when the hand pass was played?

Was that Menton goal not a square ball? Looked to me that he was standing in the square when the hand pass was played?

Just watched it there about an hour ago, he was well outside.

Great play today, we've finally got a good system going.

Outside for me when ball is played. Lands inside after palming to the net.

Butchered another three goal chances today too. Having said that it was another decent display. Really impressed with Ronan Jones and Jordan Morris. Tomas O'Reilly looked solid on the frees too, which is a bonus with Newman out. The aim now has to be to get back up again as quickly as possible. That squad will benefit from the league campaign, they've a taste now of where they want to be. My only concern is bridging the gap up, there's a layer of teams that are probably more than good enough for division 2 but not close to a lot of the division 1 teams.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Butchered another three goal chances today too. Having said that it was another decent display. Really impressed with Ronan Jones and Jordan Morris. Tomas O'Reilly looked solid on the frees too, which is a bonus with Newman out. The aim now has to be to get back up again as quickly as possible. That squad will benefit from the league campaign, they've a taste now of where they want to be. My only concern is bridging the gap up, there's a layer of teams that are probably more than good enough for division 2 but not close to a lot of the division 1 teams.

Division 2 next year will be tough. You’ll have Mayo, Cork, Kildare and yourselves vying for the two promotion spots. Clare, Westmeath & Derry could spring some upsets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

20th in the WeAreMeath prediction league RP...
    Next year is your year!!😄😄

Obrieski wrote: »
    20th in the WeAreMeath prediction league RP...
    Next year is your year!!����

And I missed a round too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think div 2 isnt bad for us, delighted cavan are gone and fermanagh, cavan always seem to up their game against us and fermanagh away is a nightmare trip. i would gancy us against cork , mayo and kildare , those ulster teams are always our achilles heel. from 2013-2018 6 seasons on the trot we went out to Ulster opposition out of the championship, Tyrone 3 times, Armagh, Derry and Donegal. Well capable of beating Derry , westmeath and Clare, westmeath will be toughest of those but Meath owe them big time from 2015.

• Advertisement

Hurlers went down to Kerry and lost in the Joe McDonagh. I get the impression it's a case of going through the motions as we can't be relegated this year.

Unfortunately it's just another sign that while we seem to have pushed on from the Kildare/Derry/Mayo level of teams, there's still a major gap between us and the "chasing pack" of Offaly, Laois, Carlow, Westmeath, Antrim and Kerry.

We won the CR in 2016 and Div 2B of the league, before beating Kerry in the SHC in April 2017. Since then we've played 17 games against the above 6 teams and lost every single one, racking up a score difference from those 17 games of -131. We've had the odd 1 point loss but far more 15 point losses.

I don't get the impression our underage is pushing to the next level either. We've a few minor and U21 B titles over the last few years but those competitions have been hollowed out a bit with teams moving up to a higher level. I made the point a few posts back of how weak this year's minor B grade is; winning it would be nice but it really wouldn't be any sign of progress or development.

Advertisement