Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i think div 2 isnt bad for us, delighted cavan are gone and fermanagh, cavan always seem to up their game against us and fermanagh away is a nightmare trip. i would gancy us against cork , mayo and kildare , those ulster teams are always our achilles heel. from 2013-2018 6 seasons on the trot we went out to Ulster opposition out of the championship, Tyrone 3 times, Armagh, Derry and Donegal. Well capable of beating Derry , westmeath and Clare, westmeath will be toughest of those but Meath owe them big time from 2015.

It’s actually Down who were promoted. I listed the wrong team. Division 2 will be dog eat dog next year. Mayo would have to be fancied to take 1 promotion slot so that leaves 1 between ye, Kildare & Cork IMO.

A lot will depend on the draw and what home games you get. Last year when ye were promoted you had Kildare & Armagh in Navan. That was fortunate as they were your main rivals for promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

we played and bet cork well in pairc iu rinn 2 years ago, will we get them in navan this time? mayo were iin navan in feb so thats in castlebar. kildare prob away. i think its not bad at all this year. division 2 in 2018 sounded very tough, Donegal, Kildare, Armagh and Cork, tough games

sad news emerging tonight about Graham Geraghty seriously ill in hospital.

we played and bet cork well in pairc iu rinn 2 years ago, will we get them in navan this time? mayo were iin navan in feb so thats in castlebar. kildare prob away. i think its not bad at all this year. division 2 in 2018 sounded very tough, Donegal, Kildare, Armagh and Cork, tough games

Donegal, Armagh & Kildare were not in Division 2 in 2018. Donegal & Kildare were relegated from Division 1 and Armagh promoted from Division 3.

Division 2 finished:

Roscommon
    Cavan
    Clare
    Tipperary
    Meath
    Cork
    Down
    Louth

Promotion actually came down to the last day and Cavan beat Tipp by a point to be promoted. Strange to think that Cavan are now relegated to Division 3 and Tipp were almost relegated from it!

Cork have improved a lot since 2018 as they’ve made tactical changes. Cavan beat them in 2018 in Cork and I wouldn’t fancy us to do it now. I think we’d still beat Meath as we did in a recent challenge.

Having seen a lot of Division 1 & 2 football over the last few years, attending both Meath & Cavan games, I don’t believe Meath will be promoted next year.

I said last year Division 1 would be a huge step up and that Meath wouldn’t win a game. I think the experience has improved your team but I would expect Kildare or Cork to be promoted ahead of Meath next year and go up alongside Mayo.

Home draws are important. Navan is a real fortress for ye.

sad news emerging tonight about Graham Geraghty seriously ill in hospital.

Heard he had a brain haemorrhage?

• Advertisement

yea

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Desperate news about Geraghty. Fingers crossed for a full recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Jesus that's shocking to read. The very best to him and his family. Had the pleasure of playing against him in a junior match 3 years ago and for a lad from Kerry playing a GAA legend it was unreal. I didnt care that he was 40 and past his best, I got to mark Graham Geraghty. He was almost embarrassed at the end when I shook hands and told him I was a big fan. Hopefully he gets through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

Jesus that's very sad news. Hope he makes a full recovery. He was a legend for Meath and GAA in general. I remember they couldn't believe how fit he was when he went over to Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Wishing all the best to Graham - a true legend of a footballer and one of maybe 5 or 6 legends of Meath football duing the Boylan era that cannot be separated regarding their class and stature in Meath football.

As it relates to the brain I wonder has this had an effect or is it just too far back to say?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2006/1106/210992-geraghtyg/

Either way, I am glad to see the Aussie rules games have ceased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Best wishes to Graham and family. Hopefully he will pull through this difficult battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Really bad news about GG. Hope he pulls through, like many he was a big part of why I got into football so much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

That's horrible news. Hope everything goes well for him and his family. As a young lad supporting Meath, he was like a celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Heard that he is or has been operated on this morning. Hopefully it went well and he makes a full recovery. A modern legend of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Wish him all the best he was as hard as steel and well able to put it up to the Aussies. Hopefully he will come out of the biggest battle of his life.

Operation was successful according to Clann na nGael's Twitter and he's starting his recovery. Fingers crossed he's back with his family as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Meath people will have more than a passing interest in this weekends Cork v Waterford SHC game... Is this the 1st time a Meath man has played in the Munster hurling Championship?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great news that it was successful, hopefully a full recovery will come with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭This is it

I was only a young lad in '99. Remember meeting Graham in a pub and asking for his autograph. Such a talent and a sound lad from what I knew of him. Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Wishing all the best to Graham. Hope everything is okay and he makes a full recovery. One of the most talented footballers of last 40 years. Along with Mick Lyons the most loved footballer in Meath. A GAA great.

• Advertisement

Operation was successful according to Clann na nGael's Twitter and he's starting his recovery. Fingers crossed he's back with his family as soon as possible.

Fantastic to hear this news last evening. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and there are no ongoing effects of this.

Because of his flamboyant ways I think that the media (and a number of Meath supporters also it must be said) gave him a hard time at times. I think this and other avenues should demonstrate to the guy that he was one of our best and one of those personalities and talents that every sport needs in order to survive.

Meath people will have more than a passing interest in this weekends Cork v Waterford SHC game... Is this the 1st time a Meath man has played in the Munster hurling Championship?

First of all fair play to Jack Fagan, delighted for him on a personal level but to be honest in answer to your question I don't know and am a bit meh about it. I know its a higher level of play for him but does nothing for Rathmolyon and Meath hurling. There are many players who lived in Navan/Ratoath/ Trim and continued to play for their clubs and counties down the country.

I think most here would be much more interested in the progress of players like Padraig O'Hanrahan from ratoath, James Murray from Trim and Nicky Potterton from Kildalkey and hopefully players like Damien Healy, Alan Douglas, Jack Regan and Darragh Kelly to give them experience and guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

dixiefly wrote: »
    Fantastic to hear this news last evening. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and there are no ongoing effects of this.

Because of his flamboyant ways I think that the media (and a number of Meath supporters also it must be said) gave him a hard time at times. I think this and other avenues should demonstrate to the guy that he was one of our best and one of those personalities and talents that every sport needs in order to survive.
    One of the Meath greats. Very hard to understand how a county that produced players like Geraghty, Dowd, Stafford, Cassells etc have allowed Dublin to dominate so much. Dublin v Meath games were always great occasions

Edgware wrote: »
    One of the Meath greats. Very hard to understand how a county that produced players like Geraghty, Dowd, Stafford, Cassells etc have allowed Dublin to dominate so much. Dublin v Meath games were always great occasions

I remember reading a stat before a Leinster final a few years back in the Chronicle. Dublin had something akin to 60-70 professional coaches, basically two for each club. Meath had four to cover the whole county!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Glad to hear that Graham Geraghty is on the road to recovery,loved watching him play football....had a great step to shake off a marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I remember reading a stat before a Leinster final a few years back in the Chronicle. Dublin had something akin to 60-70 professional coaches, basically two for each club. Meath had four to cover the whole county!
    Only 30 clubs in Dublin? Hardly...

Only 30 clubs in Dublin? Hardly...

I did say I wasn’t sure of the figures but, let’s put it this way, the point of the article was they had distinctly more full time coaches than Meath and more than the population variance allowed.

Meath is a big county. 164k in it I believe at the last census and this is continually growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I saw on Facebook that Dublin GAA put up a post sending Graham Geraghty all their best wishes for a full recovery.
    Thought it was a very nice touch.

I saw on Facebook that Dublin GAA put up a post sending Graham Geraghty all their best wishes for a full recovery.
    Hill16Army did similar. Very classy by both.

All remaining 2020 club competitions (including the hurling finals) that haven't been cancelled won't now be played until 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Broke our hearts in 1996 but wishing Graham Geraghty a speedy recovery.

Advertisement