Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

rpurfield wrote: »
    lads i remember years back when i was a young lad omahonys second team were in the inter championship because i remember the pats playing them in walterstown one year.thatdve been th eearly 90s id say.

is anyone managing to get tickets for sunday??wouldnt mind getting up to cheer the young lads on but the allocations will be dire for the clubs id imagine
    Lucky enough to get the chance to buy one thanks to getting to all the games. Almost snapped the guys arm off. Am I right in saying the All Ireland winning team of 1987 will be honoured before the Senior game seeing as it's the 25th anniversary? Read it somewhere but can't remember where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Lucky enough to get the chance to buy one thanks to getting to all the games. Almost snapped the guys arm off. Am I right in saying the All Ireland winning team of 1987 will be honoured before the Senior game seeing as it's the 25th anniversary? Read it somewhere but can't remember where.

yeah they should be out on the pitch alright now.i havent had a sniff of a ticket at all i was in the ballot in the club but didnt come out as would be my usual form in any kind of draw now:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Good luck to the lads in the minor final today! hopefully they can turn around the mauling they got in the leinster final!

an all ireland final of any kind can only be good for meath football however

Was never really on from the first 10 minutes. Had we gotten the goal in the first minute, then maybe we could have had something to hold on to, but Dublin were just too good. Also kicked too many wides which you cannot do against a team as good as Dublin.
    Fair play to the lads for getting this far though. They showed great character to come back from the Leinster Final hammering to beat Tyrone in the quarter final and then Mayo in the semi. Dublin were not going to be beaten this time though.

On a side note, I think it was a bit of a low blow for the Dublin management to bring on Michael Deegan when there was only a few seconds left in the game. Fair enough if he was brought on with a bit left in the game, but to bring on a player who lives and plays his club football in Meath when the game was over left a bit of a bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Brolly gave O'Rourke a little bit of slagging in the studio after the match about his possible appointment. But he also made a point that if he were to take the Meath job he would need to bring along a McGuinness style revolution. O'Rourke had previously downplayed any notion of McGuinness revolutionising football but instead evolving from Tyrone. Either way both those counties have All Irelands in the modern era while throughout O'Rourke has moaned about how they play the game. I really think O'Rourke has to take a serious look at the Tyrone/Donegal models if we're to progress but it seems hes not interested. I feel Meath football will continue to go around in circles if hes appointed.

• Advertisement

ive heard talk hes got no intention of taking it but wants to do the interview as a sort of "have a go at the county board" type stunt. could be all rubbish but id be suprised to see him come down from that ivory tower in the corner of the canal end to put himself in the firing line.

on another note donal keoghan was picked on gaa.ie's team of the year today, well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Well done to the lad. A joy to watch. Thankfully the watching GAA public could see that he is a class act.

Good stuff. One of the first names on the team sheet next season. Nice to see him get a bit of recognition outside of Meath. Hopefully the lad gets nominated for an All Star too.

Andy McEntee has pulled out of the managerial race. Disappointed would at least liked to of seen him stand for it.

Four men left in the hat then, Paddy Carr, Geraghty, O'Rourke and Mick O'Dowd.

Anyone know about O'Dowd, he's the only one I'm not familiar with?

• Advertisement

Donaghmore/Ashbourne's second team will be Intermediate next year after beating Bective by a point in the Junior semi final.

Mick O'Dowd managed the Skryne team that won the SFC in 2004 and now looks favourite to take the job. As rpurfield said, O'Rourke had no intention of taking the job. It'd be interesting to know what he said in the interview though.
    Ratoath (finally) made it to Intermediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Mick O'Dowd will be ratified next monday with Giles and Kelly his selectors

About feckin time. Amazing that Pat Gilroy leaves his post a full month after Banty, yet Dublin have a new manager in place before us. Typical Meath county board.

reading the piece in the indo today about the appointment and i think it was the ticket as opposed to mick himself that got the job.i also never realised how good a cv paddy carr had either.

i just hope mick is appointed hassle free and giving everyones backing and that theres noone on his case after losing an obyrne cup game or something equally stupid.

Looks like a decent draw for next years leinster championship for a Meath point of view. Probably considered the weaker side of the draw as we would avoid Dublin and Kildare till the final. We have Wicklow or Longford in the Q/F first off, then most likely Wexford if we get through that.

I feel a Leinster final would be an achievable aim for next year though having said that it won't be easy as Longford especially did well last year.

http://www.hoganstand.com/livetrackerpage.aspx?LiveTrackerID=33#ltTop

I remember the last time we had the 'easier' side of the draw (in 2008). We went out to Wexford in the quarter final.
    If we happen to get Longford, they'll have been playing against a much higher quality opposition in the league than us. They'll also have a (probably tough) game under their belts. If we make it to the semi final, we'll most likely be up against either Laois or Wexford, neither of whom will have any fear of us.
    Leinster final is certainly achievable (as it should be every year to be honest), but I won't be surprised if we fail to make it that far.

I remember the last time we had the 'easier' side of the draw (in 2008). We went out to Wexford in the quarter final.
    If we happen to get Longford, they'll have been playing against a much higher quality opposition in the league than us. They'll also have a (probably tough) game under their belts. If we make it to the semi final, we'll most likely be up against either Laois or Wexford, neither of whom will have any fear of us.
    Leinster final is certainly achievable (as it should be every year to be honest), but I won't be surprised if we fail to make it that far.

You're dead right there, Longford have improved a great deal recently and have beaten us at underage a number of times in recent years, so their players certainly won't fear us. Also lets not forget Laois were the much stronger team against us in the last championship.

However, I do not believe there is anyone in Leinster who we 'can't' possibly beat. Hopefully with a new manager in place and a good league campaign, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

Hibbeler wrote: »
    You're dead right there, Longford have improved a great deal recently and have beaten us at underage a number of times in recent years, so their players certainly won't fear us. Also lets not forget Laois were the much stronger team against us in the last championship.

However, I do not believe there is anyone in Leinster who we 'can't' possibly beat. Hopefully with a new manager in place and a good league campaign, who knows.

i think meath are capable of beating any team in leinster but when they play teams like longford, wexford or laois who are good enough teams and who will always put it up to meath,its always abit uncertain if we'll actually beat them, especially when alot of meath people will now be expecting us to reach the leinster final. a lot of people are saying that it will be wexford in the semi but i actually think laois will beat wexford easy enough. they seemed to be forming a good team this year and they will be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

If Meath are good enough they should reach the Leinster final at least next year after the draw Colm O'Rourke seemed very interested in the Meath job is he the right man for the job?

• Advertisement

Its certainly within Meaths capability of reaching a Leinster final. If we can get a swift return to Div 2 confidence will be high. The worry is this Meath team makes hard work of teams they should be beating and Longford will look at our loss to Laois and draw to Carlow this year and believe they can take us. Remember there U21s beat us in Navan last year too.
    We have demons to exorcise when it comes to Laois and Wexford and both will view us as an easier route to the final than Kildare or Dublin. My hope is without Ryan Wexford will decline and I certainly don’t believe Laois were that much better than us this year. They benefitted from a strong first half wind and some crazy goalkeeping.

If Meath are good enough they should reach the Leinster final at least next year after the draw Colm O'Rourke seemed very interested in the Meath job is he the right man for the job?
    He didn't want it this time. Mick O'Dowd will almost certainly be the next manager. I'd say he will be manager eventually though. Not sure about how he would do as manager. He didn't exactly cover himself in glory managing the U21s.
    iDave wrote: »
    We have demons to exorcise when it comes to Laois and Wexford and both will view us as an easier route to the final than Kildare or Dublin. My hope is without Ryan Wexford will decline and I certainly don’t believe Laois were that much better than us this year. They benefitted from a strong first half wind and some crazy goalkeeping.
    I've got a funny feeling that Wexford could be a dark horse for Leinster next season. Agree about Laois. As soon as I saw they had the wind in the first half, I was expecting a defeat.
    I wonder with O'Dowd as manager, will we see a return of Paddy O'Rourke between the sticks.

He didn't want it this time. Mick O'Dowd will almost certainly be the next manager. I'd say he will be manager eventually though. Not sure about how he would do as manager. He didn't exactly cover himself in glory managing the U21s.
    I've got a funny feeling that Wexford could be a dark horse for Leinster next season. Agree about Laois. As soon as I saw they had the wind in the first half, I was expecting a defeat.
    I wonder with O'Dowd as manager, will we see a return of Paddy O'Rourke between the sticks.

Is Paddy O'Rourke not in Boston?

Is Paddy O'Rourke not in Boston?

I know he was. Not sure if/when he's back.
    Mick O'Dowd it is. I'll reserve judgement til next season. The backroom team looks decent. If Sean Kelly can get the defence as organised as he did Donaghmore/Ashbourne's junior side yesterday then we'll be doing well. Pity the club season is all but over.

New jersey out for the new season as well. Tayto Park are the new sponsors.

I cant wait for all the crisp related puns in todays papers over the Tayto thing. #crisppassing is doing the rounds on twitter already.

Anyway all we can do is get behind Mick and wish him the best of luck

What do ye think?
    tayto.jpg

Personally, I think I'll be grabbing a Comer group jersey when they reduce the price. It looks atrocious.

So here's our schedule for division 3:

Feb 3 : v Monaghan (Away)
    Feb 10: v Wicklow (Away)
    Mar 2 : v Cavan (Home)
    Mar 10: v Roscommon (Away)
    Mar 16: v Sligo (Home)
    Mar 24: v Antrim (Away)
    Apr 7 : v Fermanagh (Home)

Was hoping for four home games but only got three. Not exactly a walk in the park, especially with two tough away trips in the first two games. If we're gonna get back up to division 2, we really have to leave behind our terrible away record.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭GaughMan

OMahony's through to Senior Final and Wolfe Tones leading against Seneschalstown at half time! Could be a great Senior Final!

didnt expect the tones to win today to be honest.should be a good final anyone know the date??

This day 2 weeks I think. Double header with the Intermediate final as far as I know. Should be two very good games.

• Advertisement

This day 2 weeks I think. Double header with the Intermediate final as far as I know. Should be two very good games.

ah no ill be in work that day.the father travelled over yesterday said both games were good and cian ward had a stormer for tones.we won the division 3 b league saturday night against donaghmore/ashbourne and have the league final this saturday in simonstown against them as well.

Advertisement