Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

How do you go about getting tickets for the game against Longford in Navan? I assume theres some sort of lottery?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

pipelaser wrote: »
    How do you go about getting tickets for the game against Longford in Navan? I assume theres some sort of lottery?

Reserved for players families and county board delegates from what I've seen so far. And tbh, as much as I dislike the county board, I dont have a problem with it. Especially players families being looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Is anyone privy to the rules governing player eligibility for the "Premier" championships?

The only fact I'm sure of is that a club can name 10 players who are ineligible to play for their 2nd team. I find this stupid enough to begin with but would like to know how the rest of the system works.

When the first team championships start in August* do the "normal" rules on eligibility kick in, i.e. if you play a higher grade you can't play a lower grade?

If so would this not mean that 2nd teams will play the first 3 rounds of Premier before losing maybe 10 players to the first team in one week and having a very different team for the 4th round? And this would then knock on to any potential third team.

Also, if a club has a third team, do the "normal" rules apply regarding eligibility, or is it another chosen 10 for your second team? e.g. If a second team plays on Friday and uses 5 subs, does that mean those 20 players are ineligible to play for the third team on the Saturday? Or is there just a list of 20 players (10 first team and 10 second team) who can't play for the 3rd team?

*Barring some miracle where Meath beat Dublin in Leinster.

When the first team championships start in August* do the "normal" rules on eligibility kick in, i.e. if you play a higher grade you can't play a lower grade?

That's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Is anyone privy to the rules governing player eligibility for the "Premier" championships?

The only fact I'm sure of is that a club can name 10 players who are ineligible to play for their 2nd team. I find this stupid enough to begin with but would like to know how the rest of the system works.

If so would this not mean that 2nd teams will play the first 3 rounds of Premier before losing maybe 10 players to the first team in one week and having a very different team for the 4th round? And this would then knock on to any potential third team.

Also, if a club has a third team, do the "normal" rules apply regarding eligibility, or is it another chosen 10 for your second team? e.g. If a second team plays on Friday and uses 5 subs, does that mean those 20 players are ineligible to play for the third team on the Saturday? Or is there just a list of 20 players (10 first team and 10 second team) who can't play for the 3rd team?

Was only thinking the same myself earlier, not sure of any answer to this.

There will be players playing Feis Cup on Wednesday and will they then be allowed play for the 2nd team on the weekend?
    It will definitely result in some mismatches at some point in the year you would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Just looked at the Meath GAA website, didn't realise the groups were so large - seems like it's a league format rather than similar to last year where there were smaller groups.
    This seems better with plenty of games for all teams which is good

Obrieski wrote: »
    Was only thinking the same myself earlier, not sure of any answer to this.

There will be players playing Feis Cup on Wednesday and will they then be allowed play for the 2nd team on the weekend?
    It will definitely result in some mismatches at some point in the year you would imagine.

That's exactly what it looks like will happen. No club won't want to play their strongest team in the Premier championship, so their second team will include at least 5 first team players plus any subs used. Usually the championships start at the same time so there's no overlap.

I'd say it's rough on teams with several county players such as Ratoath. Since their county players are unavailable, their Wednesday night Cup team will already be mostly made up of 2nd team players, who then will be playing again at the weekend.

Obrieski wrote: »
    Just looked at the Meath GAA website, didn't realise the groups were so large - seems like it's a league format rather than similar to last year where there were smaller groups.
    This seems better with plenty of games for all teams which is good

Funnily enough, it could backfire as you go down the levels with teams just giving a walkover if they've got nothing to play for. We received 3 last year in a smaller group than we will play in this year.

This year, we have 10 teams in the group so the prospect of 9 games to play is fantastic but I'd be very surprised if we play all 9.

The Feis Cup, or whatever cup, doesn't tie a player to the first team. Its championship only.

We played Premier 8 2020 final last weekend and had a player available to us who had played 2 Feis Cup games for the seniors. He was only 18 last year and didnt play for 1st, 2nd or 3rd team in championship thankfully. Hes a big, naturally athletic chap and has been in with the seniors since they went back. Will likely play championship for the 2nd team and sub for the 1st team with little to no game time.

I see the 2020 Minor final is on Wednesday in Mullingar. Does anyone know anything about the Meath team, fellas to watch etc? Meath GAA streaming it afaik so may as well get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

On your last point I would imagine this is the case that if you play for a second team you are barred from dropping down. If you look at the fixtures the premier 1 and 2 etc are generally out first, especially where teams have a third (or fourth) team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Longford it is in Navan next Sunday. Honestly, not very confident especially with McGill suspended.

Longford are atrocious. Mickey Graham threw his arse at the League in Cavan and got us relegated but the one game we won was vs Longford. They are atrocious. You wouldn’t see as many unforced errors at an U13 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Longford are atrocious. Mickey Graham threw his arse at the League in Cavan and got us relegated but the one game we won was vs Longford. They are atrocious. You wouldn’t see as many unforced errors at an U13 game.

They seem to have picked up as the league went on though. The only thing I will say is I think we are all a bit shook still over the Kildare game. its hard to know where we are at after it given it was so flat.

On the positive side though listening to We Are Meath's build up podcast and they were saying Menton, Keogan and Jones were all back in non contact training last week. I'd be suprised to see Jones but you would be a lot more confident if Menton and Keogan are available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

2020 Leinster minor champions in 2021 :D
    Not pretty by all accounts but it was to be expected given the gap between competitive games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Great win. They were not as good as in previous games but that was to be expected and Offaly worked very hard and had some very good players. Hopefully they can improve in the All-Ireland semi and win that one.

dixiefly wrote: »
    Great win. They were not as good as in previous games but that was to be expected and Offaly worked very hard and had some very good players. Hopefully they can improve in the All-Ireland semi and win that one.
    To be expected, I suppose, given the more than 6 months it's been since the semi final. It'll be very difficult against either Derry or Monaghan in the All Ireland semi final.

Great win for the minor hurlers yesterday in the Leinster championship, beating Westmeath 2-16 to 0-18. They'll play Antrim in the next round.

The competition regulations (Cups and Championships) are up on the Meath GAA website for anyone interested in the earlier discussion.

Whoever wins the Premier 7 or 8 will have some slog; 9 rounds of group games followed by a semi final and a final!

I know some people say it's great to have so many games but at that level in my experience it just leads to dead rubbers and walkovers. If you're a 2nd/3rd team down in Premier 7 and you lose your first 2/3 games before starting to lose players to your first team, interest will just evaporate and you'll struggle to get teams out for the remaining games. In fact a lot of teams would see relegation as a positive since it'll be an easier chance of a trophy the following year.

Any link for those regulations? Can't for the life of me find them.

Any link for those regulations? Can't for the life of me find them.

https://meath.gaa.ie/club-admin/

They're there under the Downloads section.

The competition regulations (Cups and Championships) are up on the Meath GAA website for anyone interested in the earlier discussion.

Whoever wins the Premier 7 or 8 will have some slog; 9 rounds of group games followed by a semi final and a final!

I know some people say it's great to have so many games but at that level in my experience it just leads to dead rubbers and walkovers. If you're a 2nd/3rd team down in Premier 7 and you lose your first 2/3 games before starting to lose players to your first team, interest will just evaporate and you'll struggle to get teams out for the remaining games. In fact a lot of teams would see relegation as a positive since it'll be an easier chance of a trophy the following year.

Yeah, we had that last year with 2 walk overs in a group of 6. With semi final spots up for grabs it will hopefully keep teams interested besides top 2 to final.

We are the clubs 4th team in division 7 and we are mad for ball. We have a fairly settled squad of lads who are blow ins and youngsters coming up to adult football so it's a nice mix and we have fulfilled every fixture in the 4 years I've played for them.

• Advertisement

I thought when Down came up to the Joe McDonagh cup Meath might finally end their losing streak but I lost that notion during our terrible league campaign.

Meath hurlers lost 1-27 to 2-16 in Ballycran earlier. We started the first half well enough before Down took control in the 2nd quarter and went 5 points ahead at HT. Meath again started well and drew level early in the 2nd half but faded towards the end, a Regan goal from a free adding an illusion of closeness.

Kerry up next in Navan. Unless Meath win by 8 points, we'll be in a relegation playoff. Win by 10 and we'd actually make the final. Kerry have had our number these last few years, varying from outright hammerings to one score losses.

I don't see us getting an 8 point win, but it'd be just our luck to finally beat Kerry yet still end up bottom of the group on score difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Fairly laboured stuff for the first 30 minutes, job done by half time though. Wallace brings a bit of zip to us, good to see Menton n keoghan back.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

In fairness that was a point kicking exhibition in the 2nd half with a wet ball. Did we have single-wide? And most were from a decent way out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

In fairness that was a point kicking exhibition in the 2nd half with a wet ball. Did we have single-wide? And most were from a decent way out

I'd say all but 2-3 points were from play. James mc enter kicked some great points when he came on, all the subs contributed well I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

enricoh wrote: »
    I'd say all but 2-3 points were from play. James mc enter kicked some great points when he came on, all the subs contributed well I thought.

McEntee reminded me of Jody when he came on, obvs without the pressure of that day! I hope we just Dublin in the draw now tbh. Or Kildare for potential revenge if they win this game...

Longford manager stood down immediately after the game.

Jesus they were absolutely dog shìt to watch. Fair enough they came with a plan to sit in and defend but they couldnt break at any pace and offered absolutely nothing to the game. I thought Meath were good but not even at their best so it's a pretty good day out for them.

Joey Wallace is an exciting player to watch if he can improve his ball carrying and shot selection slightly he could be a top player.

Very much overestimated Longford. Tipperary must be absolutely woeful this season if they conspired to lose against them.
    Personally would prefer Dublin in the semi as well. May as well get it over with.

Edit: I see I got my wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I see where you’re coming from but the point of 2nd/3rd teams is that they have enough players to fulfil their fixtures and be competitive in their own right without relying on 1st team players. Sure any club could lose their first 2 or 3 games, how does that differ from any other competition. Having this championship start so early actually allows a lot of 2nd/3rd teams to strengthen their teams with senior players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Very much overestimated Longford. Tipperary must be absolutely woeful this season if they conspired to lose against them.
    Personally would prefer Dublin in the semi as well. May as well get it over with.

Edit: I see I got my wish.

Meath could give the Dubs a bit of trouble.... i know it was Longford but they have been a team that Meath have had difficulty with in the past... The Meath players are in supreme physical condition.. best ive seen in a while... i think this Dublin game could be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

Can't see us coming close to be honest but sure, we'll see how it goes!

Advertisement