Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

whatnext wrote: »
    If ever a team were going to miss a player :(

Fergal Lynch ‏@truefergallynch
    Best of luck to Meath and Rathmolyon hurler Mike Cole who headed to the Lebanon today for his 3rd tour of duty

Presume that means he's out for both the league and the Christy Ring.
    Really was a season of near misses for the hurlers. Lost to Kildare in the league final and an awful refereeing decision robbed them of the chance to make it to the Christy Ring final. Need to make it out of division 2B if they're going to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

didnt make it down to our hurlers game against knockbridge but apparently theyre a senior team down in louth so why they were in the leinster special hurling i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

That Knockbridge thing is baffling. Last year they won the Louth senior hurling and beat our intermediate winners Boardsmill in the Leinster Junior. I'd take this as a yardstick that Louth Senior hurling is about the same as Meath Intermediate.

How in the name of all that is holy are they now allowed take part in a competition against St. pats? Some serious problems with the grading somewhere when a senior team from any county is allowed take part against Junior B teams from another county,it's not like we are Kilkenny and we need to go that far down our ranks to find a team suitable for Knockbridge.

Not from the club by the way, a Trim man myself, but just find the situation ridiculous and unfair.

Knockbridge played in the All Ireland Intermediate hurling elevens in Ratoath both this year and last year. This year they beat Commercials from Dublin who I think are in the Dublin Intermediate championship.
    The year before they beat Drumree and a Kilkenny Intermediate team in the same tournament. Why they were playing a Meath Junior team I've no idea.

Ratoath retain the Minor Football Championship :D

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Best of luck to Paddy Christie (ex Dublin) on his appointment as manager of Dunshaughlin.

• Advertisement

That Knockbridge thing is baffling. Last year they won the Louth senior hurling and beat our intermediate winners Boardsmill in the Leinster Junior. I'd take this as a yardstick that Louth Senior hurling is about the same as Meath Intermediate.

How in the name of all that is holy are they now allowed take part in a competition against St. pats? Some serious problems with the grading somewhere when a senior team from any county is allowed take part against Junior B teams from another county,it's not like we are Kilkenny and we need to go that far down our ranks to find a team suitable for Knockbridge.

Not from the club by the way, a Trim man myself, but just find the situation ridiculous and unfair.

i dont think theres a lot of hurling teams in louth anyway maybe its a case of finding teams to fill the gaps so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

so meath will be playing either wicklow in aughrim or longford in pearse park. i expext longford to beat wicklow, so longford in pearse park would be a very tough game. longford are very hard to beat at home.

i heard kevin reilly was named captain for 2013, i think its a good choice and hopefully he will stay injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Anyone on here going to watch Rathmolyon in the Leinster JHC Final in Navan on Sunday 2pm? It's only a small village could do with some extra support against the Kilkenny champions Thomastown.

The Thomastown website even refers to Rathmolyon as "Rathmolyon of Trim!!!!"

Might head up to have a look, Rathmolyon are seriously up against it though. Maybe Thomastown referred to them as 'of Trim' since they played all 3 of their previous games in St. Lomans, must have thought it was their home ground.

Either that or Trim has gotten some massive new status and fame down the country and other parishes are talked about with reference to Trim, the same way when concerts are held in Slane the venue is often listed as 'Slane Castle, Dublin'. Some people mustnt be able to fathom that there are places other than Dublin in Ireland.

• Advertisement

lads im wondering if anyone on here could help me out.the father noticed on the senior hurling championship roll of honour that st patricks won the championship in 53 and 54 and he asked me to dig into was it a hurling division of st pats in stamullen or a combination from elsewhere in the county.dad wouldve been 16/17ish around that time and he said he doesnt remember any hurling in stamullen at the time.anyone any ideas?

I may be wrong and I have no sources whatsoever, but I recall reading before somewhere that they were a Kiltale/Ratoath type amalgamation. I will have a look at our club history book, see if they ever played them around that time.

I may be wrong and I have no sources whatsoever, but I recall reading before somewhere that they were a Kiltale/Ratoath type amalgamation. I will have a look at our club history book, see if they ever played them around that time.

thanks im after finding a site called active paper that has a complete archive of the chronicle all ive found so far is theyre a divisional selection

rpurfield wrote: »
    thanks im after finding a site called active paper that has a complete archive of the chronicle all ive found so far is theyre a divisional selection

Sorry just saw this post. St. Pats was an amalgamation of clubs formed by Ratoath players in the 1940s. The clubs included Ratoath, Kiltale, Drumree, Skryne, Batterstown and Warrenstown. If I remember correctly, there were only a handful of senior hurling clubs in the county at the time so these amalgamations of junior sides were created to increase the numbers.

are many people going to the game tomorrow, im thinking of going but im not too sure where grangegodden in kells is, is it hard to get too?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

So what do we make of the new Chairman? I only know what I've read on the Chronicle via google, so still no wiser.

Although I have rarely missed a county game over the last nearly 30 years, I'm along time away, since 93, so the names mean very little to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

whatnext wrote: »
    So what do we make of the new Chairman? I only know what I've read on the Chronicle via google, so still no wiser.

Although I have rarely missed a county game over the last nearly 30 years, I'm along time away, since 93, so the names mean very little to me.

Hard to know really, but he was heavily involved with the compete overhaul of facilities at Ashbourne so in that sense he has a good track record. He's an auctioneer I think so property is his game. One of his main challenges will be upgrading Pairc Tailteann and also getting dunganny up to scratch and finished! Also, he's from a big club in a big town so is well used to dealing with fundraising and issues over players who can play other sports and have other distractions so hopefully it will be a good appointment. Time will tell I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

I would have preferred to see Brendan Dempsey get the gig. He presents a good image of the county and ran a tight ship in the two years he was there, 06 and 07. It's also odd to hear a Meath chairman, Tormey, talking with a distinct Dublin accent! Especially after Baaarrney. In fairness, and I don't say this glibly, anything would be an improvement.

I heard Tormey talking about his target of developing Dunganny and Pairc Tailteann. Whatever about Dunganny, Pairc Tailteann is pie in the sky stuff without serious central funding. I think after revealing a debt of 180k for the year, he should be putting all his powers into ensuring a break even figure in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Interview with Mark Ward on LiveGaelic if anyone's interested:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/a-year-on-the-sidelines-with-meaths-mark-ward/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

And so it begins all over again. First match of 2013 looming large. Squad announced
    Meath (O'Byrne Cup v Longford): D Lyons (Seneschalstown); C Young (Summerhill), D Keogan (Rathkenny), D Dalton (Summerhill); C Rowe (Syddan), E Harrington (Wolfe Tones); S Crosbie (Drumconrath); C Gillespie (Summerhill), J Sheridan (Seneschalstown); P Gilsenan (Oldcastle), D Carroll (Ballinabrackey), J Queeney (Na Fianna); D. McDonagh (Na Fianna), P Byrne (Ballinlough), M Newman (Kilmainham).

Big Joe in the middle could be interesting.

• Advertisement

This is the challenge match against Down last Saturday

http://www.destinationnewry.com/video/archive/Down-v-Meath-dec-2012

Interesting team choice.
    Good to give Joe a go at midfield though I think his distribution will need to improve and he'll have to do away with his trademark dropkick once a game.
    Crosbie is an interesting choice and I'll admit I know nothing about him. Looking forward to see how Mickey Newman does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Not looking forward to 2013 on the evidence of this. thanks Co. Down for the video.
    Puke football. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

mattser wrote: »
    Not looking forward to 2013 on the evidence of this. thanks Co. Down for the video.

Lets not get carried away its only January

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

iDave wrote: »
    Lets not get carried away its only January

Yeah, It is a bit early to crib all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

mattser wrote: »

Yep, december is the time to judge a team alright :rolleyes:

I'd actually be worried if we were blowing teams out of the water in January.

Decent performance on what was a disgraceful ground to hold an intercounty game. Defence did pretty well. Crosbie was very good for his first game. Keogan seems to be the type of player that can play anywhere as he was fantastic at full back in the first half.

Louth on Wednesday will probably decide who goes into the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Meath game postponed until tomorrow night, fog here in Navan, darn it!

• Advertisement

Decent comeback in the second half after a woeful first 35 minutes. Crosby again did very well and got another 2 points. Would have won in the end was it not for the Louth keeper being in stunning form.

Think our team was more of an experimental one than Louth's who had the likes of Keenan, Hoey, White and Brennan playing.
    Very good to see David Bray back in the green and gold.

Advertisement