Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

Mayo ref did his worst today but like all Mayo male exploits in Croke Park he ended in failure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Christ, we don't make it easy for ourselves. We'll done to the girls for seeing it out. Thought we were going to walk it with 5 minutes to go in the first half only for us to implode. Monica's confidence at kickouts was completely shot after her first poor one that led to the penalty. But they showed excellent resilience to come back after going behind and the second goal was a brilliant finish.

Referee was awful and must have had something against Vikki Wall. Some absolutely horrific decisions, especially in the second half. He was giving frees to Donegal saying that Meath players were charging when Donegal players basically just ran straight into them and bounced off them. Vikki Wall made an excellent challenge to dispossess the Donegal player at the end and the referee somehow gave her a yellow card. Could have cost us dearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Thought the ref did a good job. In real time a lot of these looked harsh, but the frees for charging - on the replay - were clearly charging, no two ways about it.

The only free I thought was harsh was towards the end when Vikki Wall batted down a kick out to Emma Duggan, didnt think it was a free myself but can see why it might have been given.

Flipside is that when Donegal were really pressing towards the end, and were a point or two down, the ref gave two or three frees against Donegal, one for charging. If he hadnt, and Donegal had gone on to score, Meath would have been under real pressure. Of course thats forgotten....

The fact is that Meath had a substantial lead that they let go, and that nothing to do with the ref.

Ah there were a lot more awful decisions than that one. In one instance, a Meath player gathered the ball, stopped, was run into by a Donegal player and the referee penalised the Meath player for charging (how can you be charging when you're stationary?). At one point in the first half, a Meath player was fouled and the referee played advantage. Immediately, we lost possession and the referee didn't call it back for the foul. A while later, he plays advantage for Donegal and calls the play back for the free when they lost possession. Even for the penalty, the Donegal player changes hands twice which is not allowed (though I didn't actually realize that until after the game). Overall, it was a very poor performance from the referee (like the All Ireland final last year) that thankfully didn't cost us.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

U-20s scrape past Longford. Don't know what it is about Longford, but they always seem to give us a hard time at underage, going back many years! (And yes, also at senior level (2018) too before that gets pointed out!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

And for that very point, getting out of Longford with any win is a positive given the previous results.

And the U20s are out having been hammered by Dublin. This was the age group that were beaten by Westmeath in the minor quarter final of that year. Looks like a large chunk of the panel are still eligible for the U20s next year so I'm hopeful that the success we've had at minor recently will translate into success at U20 (and beyond I hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

13 of the starting 15 are underage again next year, and apparently only about 5-6 arent off the full panel. We really need to start going well at the 20 grade though.

So Wicklow it is on Sunday. We should have enough for them but 5-15 is a huge score for them to put up. We had them in Navan a number of years ago and while we won, we still conceded over 20 points if I remember correctly so our defence will have to be on it.

As expected, we did enough. You'd feel it won't be enough if we draw either Dublin or Kildare (assuming that they finish the job against Louth).

Hurlers descent to the Christy Ring continued yesterday with yet another hammering.

• Advertisement

And the reward is getting dumped out by Dublin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Adding insult to injury putting the game on in croke park too. I could understand if they put it in a neutral venue but I think whoever is drawn out 1st should have home advantage, not have it taken off them and given to their opponents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Semi Finals are always at provincial grounds. Re Leinster, I’m still in shock at the Offaly team pundits were waxing lyrical about improving losing to Wexford.

Wexford finished 3rd from bottom in Division 4 and I saw them play Cavan in Breffni and they were atrocious.

Yeah, and I'd understand it if they put the game on in Tullamore or Portlaoise but awarding Dublin home advantage makes no sense at all in what will be a half capacity croke park at the very best for 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

Ah **** ! a neutral venue, will we ever get to play at Parnell Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

gaa and money its a joke ,croke park should be closed until at least the leinster final or the all ireland 1/4 finals like the hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Dublin are an average outfit now , its there for all to see , best opportunity for Meath since 2010 to take them out

I suspect it will be close .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

The Bookies have the handicap market as Meath +9. Good value?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Dublin beat a very poor Wexford side so can't read that much into it .If Meath can really go for it like second half last year they have a chance and should at the very least beat the handicap.

Ladies had another excellent win against Dublin on Saturday. Though Eamonn will probably be slightly worried that we went 7 points up halfway through the second half and didn't score again and scraped home by a point. Similar to the Donegal game where we let a similar lead slip. The worst kept secret has been let out of the bag now as it's been confirmed that Vikki Wall has signed for AFLW club North Melbourne. This will be her last season with Meath for the foreseeable future so we have to make it count.

Great result also for the minor hurlers as they beat Carlow by a point in the Peadar O Liathain Cup final thanks to 2 late goals.

The draw for the club championships will be made this evening at 8pm and will be streamed on the Meath GAA Youtube page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Fair play to Vikki - she owes us nothing and she will have an amazing experience.

Wishing her all the best!

Is the Meath vs Dublin game this weekend on TV?

Championship Draws.

Senior Football Championship

Group A: Seneschalstown, St. Colmcille's, Wolfe Tones, Skryne

Group B: Trim, Navan O'Mahony's, Moynalvey, Curraha

Group C: Gaeil Colmcille, Donaghmore/Ashbourne, Ratoath, Simonstown Gaels

Group D: Ballinabrackey, Na Fianna, Dunboyne, Summerhill

Intermediate Football Championship

Group A: Oldcastle, Walterstown, St. Michael's, St. Vincent's

Group B: Nobber, Dunderry, Drumbaragh, Longwood

Group C: Kilmainham, Bective, St. Patrick's, Blackhall Gaels, Dunshaughlin

Group D: Rathkenny, Ballivor, Clann na nGael, Duleek/Bellewstown, Meath Hill

Junior A Football Championship

Group A: St. Ultan's, Ballinlough, Moynalty, Syddan, Dunsany

Group B: Castletown, Carnaross, Boardsmill, Moylagh, Kilbride

Junior B Football Championship

Round Robin: St. Mary's, St. Brigid's, Cortown, Drumconrath, Kilmainhamwood, Slane, Clonard

A lot to be said for some sort of seeding in these draws, especially when you compare groups B and C in the senior championship.

I got a few texts last night that Kells are in the ''Group of Death''.

Group C: Gaeil Colmcille, Donaghmore/Ashbourne, Ratoath, Simonstown Gaels

They haven't been going well in the League despite the big name appointment of Luke Dempsey. Fionn Reilly is back playing soccer though so can't play and Seamus Mattimoe is back and forth from the UK so not always available.

Available on GAA GO for a tenner if that's any use to you

Fair play for the info. Might save me a trip to Croke Park because I've a busy Saturday and unfortunately can't see this being much of a contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

its on Sunday. I thought you couldnt access GAA go from ROI?

You can't access it if the game is on TV but if it's not being televised, you can access it from Ireland. It's depressing how far this tie has fallen. 10 years ago and this would be the headline fixture on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

In think Sunday is a defining game for Meath. They need to run Dublin very close or beat them, with heart and desire, the old Meath fight. Otherwise the county should forget about Gaelic football. If they took nothing from last year's second half performance v Dublin, they never will.

Meath are currently viewed as a soft touch, easy to get at and beat, collapse under pressure, the opposite of the Meath of old. When are they going to take the step up? Ireland's proudest county, the county that embodied heart and spirit, a walking shadow of it's former self. They'd want to cop the fcuk on quick. When the Dubs won 6 in a row, Meath should of fought them all the way. Nothing but excuses.

This Sunday will tell a lot

Advertisement